alant1000

Kitchen before and after

alant1000
9 years ago
Hi all,

I asked for some advice here recently on a dilemma regarding whether I should refurb my kitchen or knock a dividing wall between the kitchen and stairs as a project. I found a company that could do them both for a good price, so went ahead. The objective was to fit a more modern looking kitchen that look more spacious and airy, and I was considering the removal of the wall for the same reason.
The member here boundsgreener gave me a brainwave about using open shelving rather than full wall cabinets to open the room a bit, and it's worked excellently. It's not an idea I had thought about. I moved the fridge and freezer to a single unit under the stairs, making room for 2 more floor cabinets, so I haven't lost any storage, in fact I seem to now have much more.

The whole thing was just over £5.5k fitted including appliances and decor, including knocking out the wall. It won't have added £5.5k in value to my house as its small and at the top end of the ceiling price due to location, but I'm really happy...for now :)

Before and after photos include the estate agent photo of kitchen 2 years ago when I very first moved in, looking terrible.

Comments (21)

• bombel1972
    9 years ago
    wow! congratualtions
  • Tom Flanagan
    9 years ago
    Great renovation Alan - and if it makes you happy, then that's what counts!
  • Georgie Akin-Smith
    9 years ago
    Looks great Alan!
  • alant1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks very much for your nice comments, yes I'm very pleased how it looks. Still a couple of decoration bits - I've ordered a nice large copper framed rectangle mirror from bo concept for the bottom of the stairs along the wall to open the space a bit more, and I need to find something nice for the windowsill display. The hon arrived faulty but this is just a minor inconvenience at worse, and is being replaced on Sunday.

Boundsgreener - a couple of pics here of the under stairs area, it's not very exciting but functional, with a fridge freezer and storage for cube stools. Previously this was just a blank space with a small ikea cabinet, so wasted really. Under the stairs is the original cupboard with Hoover and other bits.

Also is a picture of the wall before and after having a section taken out. The amount of light that comes in up the stairs is amazing now, previously it was a dark and dull narrow staircase. The banisters oak and was originally white washed, but it didn't really give the look I was expecting so I painted it solid and prefer it now. I also removed a redundant door frame which had a blanking plate at the top - this has made a big difference to the perceived height of the room too. Once the mirror is here in a few weeks it will be finished :)
  • PRO
    Steve Morrow Kitchens
    9 years ago
    Looks really good. Massive improvement. The drawer front under the oven is on upside down but if you prefer it that way keep it.

Whats the back splash material and where is it from? Looks really nice
  • alant1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Steve, yes the oven panel is noted and has been fitted on this way round temporarily as it arrived damaged - it's visible the other way up. I have ordered a completely flush one as a replacement rather than a version with the handle.

The splashback is symphony kitchens and comes in 3m lengths (60cm high, 4mm deep). I think they are about £265 per length.
  • alant1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh, and the material is laminate mdf.
  • ribeno
    9 years ago
    your new kitchen is gorgeous. you must be so pleased.
  • PRO
    Lisa's Kitchen Design Company
    9 years ago
    Fabulous!!! well done - you have really shown what can be done in a long thin space...hope you enjoy it!
  • PRO
    Naken Interiors
    9 years ago
    Great work! Also love the bread bin!
  • alant1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks everyone, it's now complete with all the tiny final bits done and a mirror is on a blank wall making the space look nicer.

The breadbin is called an armadillo and is now obsolete I think, it was from a site called iwantoneofthose.com
  • Jonathan
    9 years ago
    looks twice the size- great job
  • alant1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Jonathan :)
  • boundsgreener
    9 years ago
    Enjoy putting it all to work over Christmas! Again, congratulations.
  • alant1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks very much boundsgreener.

My last small dilemma is what to do with the hall entrance which is part of the kitchen. It looks bland and clunky, but is a pretty small area.

I have already ordered a radiator shelf to neaten up the area under the mirror. Obvious things that look ugly are the pipes and the fuse box. I'm thinking if getting a cabinet for the fuse box, but the pipes are hard to box in as there isn't much room on the floor by the skirting.

What would anyone else do with this area?
  • Diane V-town
    9 years ago
    I would put a rounded cover that matches the wall from floor to ceiling to hide the pipe. You could also put a long, slim cabinet that covers that box near the ceiling and maybe has shallow shelves to hold small objects inside, something like a medicine chest.
  • adaywt
    9 years ago
    Your home is gorgeous!
  • alant1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks very much for your nice comment! My current project is the lounge, which is having a complete overhaul.
  • adaywt
    9 years ago
    You're welcome :). It would be great to see your lounge's transformation too.
  • PRO
    Coppice Guild
    8 years ago

I know that this post is quite old now, but I would put up a door curtain that covers the pipe. Something plain in a warm colour with a metallic yarn to pick up on the metals would work well. I suggest this because the door really detracts from your lovely kitchen. When the curtain is closed the space will look very contemporary and make the space feel even bigger as well as better insulated!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.