talhaus

Garden on a slope at 800m altitude

Talhaus Interior
9 years ago
Need help, my Garden surrounding the House is on a slope with large rocks underneath, not much soil I believe. In addition we get quite cold winters with lots of snow and ice at 800m altitutde. Any ideas of what flowers/plants I can plant there? I need them to be easy to take care off, as I do not live here permanently yet.

Comments (2)

• PRO
    Landscape Design by James Brunton-Smith Limited
    9 years ago
    That certainly presents some interesting challenges to gardening, but not insurmountable if you adhere to the principle of 'Right plant, Right place', something that I learnt formally in my training as an ecologist and landscape architect and more informally through many losses trying to grow all manner of plants in my own garden.

In short I would be recommending a palette of alpine and moorland plants with a scattering of more coastal species that are equally tolerant of exposure.

A lovely and very effective example is the interplay of small tussock growing moorland grasses with heathers, maybe interspersed with specimen dwarfing pines. Another stunning and very simple approach would be to sow an alpine meadow mixture of suitable perennials and grasses, again interspersed with sculptural pines or incidental birch and willow.

A truly interesting site with plenty of potential, remember shelter can be created with large rocks around which slightly more temperamental plants could be located.

I hope this helps, we will happily produce structured planting plans for projects of all sizes and conditions - take a look at our website for some more inspiration.
    Talhaus Interior thanked Landscape Design by James Brunton-Smith Limited
  • shetlander111
    9 years ago
    well there is the need for trees to give sections and but using sort walls you can get flat areas and these can also be stepped.
    Talhaus Interior thanked shetlander111
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.