tommyflan

POLL: Space or location?

Tom Flanagan
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
It shouldn't have to be a toss up, but more often than not concessions have to be made when it comes to either space or location as you can't always have both!

So when choosing a home, what's your major consideration - a larger space, or a prime location?

New Build Contemporary Town House, Chelsea SW3 · More Info
Space
Comments (38)

• PRO
  • Related Discussions

POLL: Favourite London landmark?

Q

Comments (31)
    Such a great selection of the city's most beloved landmarks but for me, London's bridges well never fail to amaze me. Albert Bridge has got to be my favourite but Tower Bridge most definitely is a strong contender!
    ...See More

POLL: Pick an Easter inspired space!

Q

Comments (8)
    Here they are: http://www.houzz.co.uk/projects/759559/st-lukes-mews-notting-hill-london-w11 http://www.houzz.co.uk/projects/243754/lavender-cottage-kitchen http://www.houzz.co.uk/projects/545387/childs-bedroom-london http://www.houzz.co.uk/projects/947634/the-yellow-cottage-trebarwith-strand The bathroom doesn't belong to a project. Enjoy!
    ...See More

POLL: What do you put above your fireplace?

Q

Comments (43)
    I am lucky enough to live in a flatshare that has a fireplace, even if it doesn't work! I just love the way it brings the room together and encourages snuggling up on the sofas with a nice cup of hot tea and a good book to read! There is something very homely about a fireplace and although our one is bare of any mantlepiece decorations, one of my favorite artworks claimed its spot above it almost as soon as I stepped foot in the house! The color of the marble and the undertones in the paintings couldn't have worked any better if I wanted them to and I feel like the dimensions are pretty well balanced! My flatmates certainly didn't oppose!
    ...See More

POLL: Loft conversion or cosy attic space?

Q

Comments (25)
    Depending on the property (and the budget), both options have their merits. A big loft space can be more easily converted to a room but often the structure or space isn't sufficient and an dormer or extension is needed. This can offer a whole new floor to the building and with some imagination you can transform the property completely. www.pwjarchitects.com
    ...See More
  • bungalowdave
    9 years ago
    Location every time. Then get ingenious with the space
  • futuracasa2013
    9 years ago
    Location , near school and friends was our choice.
  • gigiandleo
    9 years ago
    Couldn't agree more with alant1000. We currently rent a great flat in an awesome location but now that we're ready to buy, there's no way we could afford a house here unless it fit only half the family. So my choice - average location and great house.
  • cinderellaslipper
    9 years ago
    I grew up in a tiny home in the best location that exists today....and would go for space over any view.
  • Jo DP
    9 years ago
    Definitely a conundrum.
  • Emily Cumming
    9 years ago
    I've just chosen space over location. Hoping I will learn to love/live with the location while enjoying my extra space.
  • twistlike
    9 years ago
    1st home= price size location
    2nd home=location price size
    3rd home= size price location.
    for most of us its quite often there are more factors involved than a toss up between space and location. ive often said I could live in a shed if it was in the perfect place! hahaha
  • PRO
    Stella Michael
    9 years ago
    I have found over the years that the things I thought I was compromising on became things that I became very grateful for. I thought I was compromising on location by going outside my ideal areas but got a spacious and unusual flat in a far more interesting area and have been happily living here for over 15 years. Would not swap with my 'ideal' area now.
  • PRO
    Philip Booth Esq
    9 years ago
    Location is very important and if money were no object then you can have both. But what if you can't afford the best location for the space you need. There needs to be a compromise and therefore getting the right space in the best location you can buy in is the answer.
  • jokea
    9 years ago
    I have to agree with Philip on that note....The right space in the most affordable location would be my choice. I've had enough of stepping all over each other in the name of being in the right location.
  • Emily Cumming
    9 years ago
    Indeed Jokea, that's exactly why I changed location in the first place. I'm in London and was looking at a fantastic up and coming area but repeated experiences of sealed bids for pokey flats and then being let down at the 11th hour by greedy vendors forced me to go further out. I strongly believe in hunting out pockets of loveliness in less desirable areas - they do exist. I've already uncovered a 'secret' bar in woodland near the place I'm buying. And you don't get that in zone 2!
  • katherine91
    9 years ago
    We felt the same as emily.
    We got so sad looking at little shoe boxes in areas we thought were 'nice' that we challenged ourselves - and looked outside out comfort zone area.
    We found a flat we love which would have been miles over budget - and it turns out we like the area way more than any of the places we thought we wanted to live!
  • Emma Sides
    9 years ago
    I live in a small two bed house (650sq ft) (with my husband and two small girls) in a lovely working class neighbourhood very close to the city centre (Dublin) and while the house is small it is open plan and extremely bright and sunny with good proportions. We also have a small home office and shed/utility in our back garden (which is 60ft and south/east facing). We are currently debating whether or not to trade up and it's a real dilemma. I love my home, my location, my neighbours, the aspect of the house and the fact that it is not particularly overlooked. My husband hankers after a downstairs loo and a guest room... I would quite like a hall... We're really torn and we have a small mortgage to boot so extend or move - have to wait and see!
  • PRO
    B.Harvey Property Services Ltd
    9 years ago
    Another big thing to consider is neighbours, not neighbourhood, good neighbours are a massive plus,
  • Bella Tanner
    9 years ago
    I have always thought location was more important especially in London but then I realised that moving a 15 minute bus ride from the area I loved meant I could double our living space! So now I have the best of both worlds-a great house 200k less than the other place and am still near the pubs and restaurants I love. I also realised that it makes no difference when I go out if I can walk somewhere in 5 minutes or bus there in 15-I still take the same time to get ready!!!!
  • S Wall
    9 years ago
    Clofty24, your comment interests me...my husband and I will commence our first time house purchase in London around August time...we are close to our savings target. Ideal locations are Streatham Hill, West Norwood....basically as close to Clapham, Balham as we can...lots of friends in SW London...any tips for me?? We are 34 and wish to start for a family soon enough so 2 equally sized bedrooms is key...outside space also ideal...any advise would be great!
  • Bella Tanner
    9 years ago
    Wallsinead I was in the same position a year ago- except I wanted to be close to East Dulwich and am now in Forest Hill! Balham and Clapham are lovely and not far from me either by train. My advice is to look at bus routes as well as trains because it feels much closer to be able to jump on a bus! Also make sure there is a nice coffee shop and pub with good food wherever you end up so you can take friends and family there and not feel like you are apologising for the location. I also found the inside of the house and a large garden was key-don't forget you spend most of the time inside not wandering the streets near your house! Make sure you have potential to expand-victorian house with side return, potential for loft conversion and also that the garden is big enough to extend to the back. Also check out the new bakerloo line and where stops are going to be....as then you can tube to Clapham. Finally stay glued to right move! Every hour every day! I made an offer on our house the same day it came on righmove and within 15 mins of viewing!
  • Ffion Francis
    9 years ago
    Location location location! :)
  • Emily Cumming
    9 years ago
    Just jumping in here wallsinead about your area. West Norwood is HOT right now, I live here. I'm sure you know the Ritzy independent cinema is building a cinema at the old library, a new shiny swimming pool has opened, a monthly food market is in action. Schools are good. Lots of cafes - a marked change. I'd look as close to WN station as you can if you can afford it - the Streatham Hill side of the high st (the other side gets the West Dulwich overspill and will probably be more pricey? Properties that side are gorgeous. Hope that helps. I know you love Balham and Clapham for friends but don't overlook your Crystal Palace stamping ground. It's just amazing - all independent boutiques, gastropubs and restaurants. GOOD LUCK!
  • Emily Cumming
    9 years ago
    PS Trains to Victoria take longer than they say on the time-table. Brixton is hideously overcrowded. Buses in rush hour to Brixton from Tulse Hill end take 20 mins. From WN end give it 35 ..
  • pavinia
    9 years ago
    All about the location!
  • Ffion Francis
    9 years ago
    @Wallsinead I live in Crystal Palace and I LOVE it, never want to move! 15-20 mins on train to Balham/ Clapham Junction but everything you need is on the Triangle! The gorgeous park, sports centre, cafes, bars, restaurants, artisan food market, antiques shops.... I feel blessed that I live there. The only downside is we have a tiny 1 bed flat but it's worth it for the location! 25-30 mins in to Victoria or London Bridge and there's also the overground line into Canada Water and very well connected on the buses! There's also a night bus from central all the way back to CP. We didn't know the area before we moved here but I haven't looked back, a great place to call home :)
  • S Wall
    9 years ago
    Thanks for all the comments - very helpful and nice to have people to talk to on this. We currently rent in East Dulwich and like the suburban, zone 2 feel of the area...however value for money is long gone here...We can push to afford a 2 bed ground floor flat in need of work on the fringes of West Norwood, Streatham Hill - considering Streatham Common, Thornton Heath over towards the northern line Colliers Wood....Difficult to find something around the £500,000 - £550,000 mark. Any opinion on the above areas or Anerley, Birkbeck - really open to options? Location, price and property are our priority however we would like a 2 bed, GFF or first floor etc...with balcony, terrace.
  • Emily Cumming
    9 years ago
    IMO Anerley is really touch and go. I advise a drive there. It's down the hill from CP but feels 'in the wrong direction' .. Gipsy Hill (where I am, great gastropub and little villagey bit) is also down the hill but borders W Norwood and W Dulwich and such a short drive to ED - I pop there all the time to shop/eat. Funnily enough Birkbeck isn't so good for transport I don't think., but to me it feels a lot nicer. Have you tried Penge? Up and coming. Links to all sorts of places and you have the ELL to Shoreditch too. Look down the train line that goes through Brixton. Beckenham is also well worth a look.
  • Emily Cumming
    9 years ago
    PS I have half your budget being single and needing a garden (cat). Other than Penge/Beckenham borders, all I can afford is Bromley or Catford - at a push!
  • Bella Tanner
    9 years ago
    I rented in catford and then East dulwich a huge difference! That said I've seen catford called up and coming in the evening standard....it had a lovely bar the conservative club and it's a bus ride to East dulwich. If also stay clear of anerley nice houses but not much t do and alas I found crystal palace outside my budget too at 500/550k. I agree great pubs and shops but I wanted 3 beds and a garden. At least I can get there in 10 mins on the train. Wallsinead Probably a bit too east for you but Brockley is worth a look. More affordable and some nice places to eat. Good housing stock and great links into the centre
  • sonalbm85
    9 years ago
    location....your neighbourhood,facilities like schools etc. does matter but then analyse your existing lifestyle and future needs (that includes finance).
  • Average Jo
    9 years ago
    This is a really tough one and I really enjoyed alant1000's attempt to give our thoughts a structure. I voted space because an area can definitely be too genteel for me - I like to feel that I'm living somewhere "real". Besides, at my advanced age, drying clothes in the hallway or asking guests to balance supper plates on their knees would feel like a bit of a retrograde step.
  • n247080
    9 years ago

Location, if it allows for upgrading the space. Frequently you can find a great location and put on addition that creates the additional space your heart really wants. If all you're getting is space and the location is awful, you probably won't want to live there very long.

• PRO
    Bwalya Masabo
    9 years ago
    Definitely space.
  • Tracy Hopkins
    9 years ago
    It seems if you want to live in London then it's all about location and the biggest space you can get for your budget. If you live in the North west of England then there are great locations and spacious properties - the best of both worlds possibly!
  • PRO
    KIND Interiors & Exteriors
    9 years ago
    If you are creative, for instance an interior designer, architect, surveyor, gardener etc, surely it has to be space. Your interest would be to influence the local environment with your skills and see it transform rather than have an already finished product.
  • Ann Ellis
    9 years ago
    It changes through ones life. Large house and space with a family was fun Later on within Zimmer frame of Boots might become a priority. In the middle period access o cultural activities and easy transport connections fort travel is ahead of size of home.
  • milfordmaid
    8 years ago

Transport links are key to location. Lived in north-west London, worked in north London. 7 miles. 15 mins in car - off-peak, 40 mins - peak. No direct transport link so 90 mins by 2 buses or by 1 bus, overhead train + 7 min walk! Nightmare travelling + please no preaching cyclists - North Circular Rd at rush-hour + Stonebridge Park Estate by night. Uh huh, no way. So we moved - to another country!!

• wendy Anderson
    8 years ago

Tough one. We started by looking at "better" areas, then found all we could afford was a shoebox, then looked elsewhere. For me, I now live in my dream house ( despite all the work that still needs doing!) and you know what? I LOVE where I live! Keep your mind open and decide what you really want from where you live. I fell into the trap of looking where everyone else said was most desirable....

• Mutts Munchkins
    8 years ago

God..you city folk! Reading these comments makes me wonder now.. What about looking at the wider picture and outside the '2 square mileage box' for a change? I am a self confessed (converted) country bumpkin and though I am familiar with city life and the unavoidable commuting with lack of space that goes with that (having lived in central Madrid-Paris-Hong Kong) I was also lucky enough to have had the 'country mansion with lots of space experience' and with that in mind it there for would have to be...location! If the location is wrong then it is so much harder to change that or even sometimes live with, where as space is a luxury one can simply afford to have (create) or not, but certainly is something I could live with or be without!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.