tommyflan

Do you like yellow?

Tom Flanagan
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Bright, sunny and exuberant, yellow to me has always been a colour synonymous with happiness and life, and whilst it'd be easy for me to get carried away with superlatives, I realise it's not for everyone.

So, would you mind if everything was all yellow, or is it a shade to steer clear of? Let us know in the comments below!

Ideabook · More Info

Comments (49)

• Tani H-S
    8 years ago
    Love mustard - not so keen on lemon/yellow
  • Sarah Alcroft
    8 years ago

Yes, especially with dark grey

• Related Discussions

Do you like pink?

Q

Comments (58)
    Hi, there's a common mistake about people asking if you like this colour or not, this decor object or another, or what's the best colour for my space. It all depends on what you want to achieve. In this case, according to the style and furniture selection, this pastel pink is such a nice touch. It's not about the colour, it's about pastel. If the owner would have chosen a blue or green pastel the result would be the same. At this point, with the style and features chosen, it's just a matter of personal taste to choose between certain pastel colours. Even though I don't like this style or soft pink, I must say it's a very good job as the space harmonious, soft and warm, with a good style balance (not too classic nor modern). Norikei www.norikei.com
    ...See More

Do you like red?

Q

Comments (42)
    I adore red, it's my favourite colour by far and is all over my wardrobe. I even have red glasses, it's kind of a signature thing of mine. When my partner and I recently bought our first flat we had to redecorate it all very quickly and went with quite neutral shades throughout: oak wood, white, black and grey. We then added touches of red in kitchen accessories, curtains, cushions and finally red carpet in the corridor, staircase and landing to tie it altogether. The only rooms which have no red are our 2 bathrooms as I like them better crisp and neutral.
    ...See More

How do you like your eggs done?

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm low carbing at the moment and for the first time in my life am living on fried food, it was always a no no ! Ohh, these are delicious, filling and the diet's working !! I like eggs in all styles , but these are the favourite right now .
    ...See More

Which Bold Colours Do You Like? (Here's our Grey and Yellow!)

Q

Comments (3)
    I absolutely love that colour. It really stands out. Great choice.
    ...See More
  • Juliet Docherty
    8 years ago

Love dark mustard with pale grey. It creates a beautiful dischord.

• minnie101
    8 years ago

I love it, especially with grey or navy as an accent. Also love yellow chinoiserie combined with black for an oriental look. I wouldn't have it everywhere though. My last house when we moved in had different shades of egg yolk everywhere and it looked awful

• PRO
    SWITCH INTERIOR DESIGN
    8 years ago

This is a new thing for me - if you had asked me a year ago I would have said NO WAY, But I actually love it, teamed with grey it lifts a scheme and adds some punch to it. I'm a def yes I love it!

• Helen C
    8 years ago
    I like it as a very small accent like a vase or alarm clock. Definitely couldn't paint a whole room yellow. When I was 10 my mum made me wear a yellow skirt and top to a wedding-scared for life, have disliked the colour ever since!!!
  • tiredoldwoman
    8 years ago

The walls in my living room are Bumble Bee from a long gone Dulux colour - it's a deep ochre yellow . My carpet , couch and curtains are terracotta . This colour scheme is now 20 years old but I still love this room ! I've got a big based brass lamp and when it's on the whole room glows , it's like living in a pumpkin lantern ! Safe sanctuary .

• PRO
    Feioi
    8 years ago
    I love a bright zingy yellow as an accent but creams and off whites with yellow undertones are, personally, not for me.
  • Jen Tindall
    8 years ago
    I have a bright yellow hallway, with the regency panelling below it painted a soft off-white/grey colour.

I love it, but you have to have great lighting to keep it fresh looking, and it's not to everyone's taste!
  • PRO
    Laara Copley-Smith Design
    8 years ago

I must say I love white and generally have no colour in my houses yet the image of the yellow door looks great and so in this setting it looks right.

• Jo DP
    8 years ago

Steer clear of yellow? I am drawn to it like Icarus to the Sun. Look at Yellow with deep Pink. Tame it with a sophisticated purple. Strong pink tulips against a yellow wall. purple lupins against an egg yolk wall or Lime green for a fix of acid bright with hot pink flowers.

• alant1000
    8 years ago
    I love yellow front doors. The glossy dark yellow ones remind me of my childhood in the early 80s!
  • PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago

Jo DP I looove your passion!! Please post some photos of examples you love (doesn't have to be your home) I often give a bunch of purple irises with yellow roses or daffodils to friends. Nature knows what she is doing ... they are complementary colours on the colour wheel.

• Rozza
    8 years ago

yes I'm with you - has to be the right shade and looks good with grey - modern, fresh and cheery. Now contemplating painting one wall in a sunshine yellow with grey and blue & white furniture - my son wants a Valentino Rossi themed bedroom!

• Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I couldn't agree more everyone, I think yellow looks great as an accent, and one big splash on one feature does the trick. Not a huge fan of yellow and grey personally as it's a bit overdone for me. However I've decided that I'll have a yellow door - preferably the one above!

• liquiddesign
    8 years ago

I hate yellow and blue together, reminds me of those awful french tablecloths with olives all over them. Yellow with greens is best.

• Juliet Docherty
    8 years ago

liquiddesign I used to hate yellow and blue then weirdly, mustard and teal (with dull olive/grey) have become the accent colours in my house. I think if the colours are all of equal intensities then it doesn't work, but toned down versions look strangely interesting.

• nudejude
    8 years ago

The only place I like yellow is in nature, i.e. daffodils, roses, etc. I DEFINITELY could NOT live with it in my home, no reason, just don't like it.

• PRO
    My Bespoke Room
    8 years ago

When we moved into our house 3 years ago I hated our yellow front door! I am finally getting round to re-painting it this year and guess what colour I have gone with? Yes yellow as it seems to have grown on me . . . although a more Indian Summer Yellow this time I think!

• PRO
    My Bespoke Room
    8 years ago

The yellow also brings out the yellow in the stained glass. Oops . . not sure why the pic is on it's side?!

• Jasmine Oliver
    8 years ago

LOVE YELLOW!

absolutely. one of the main things i love about it is how it gives a feeling of gleeful frivolity & luxury to some things. We have a yellow carpet in a low-traffic area and it feels luxurious as yellow is 'sposed to be not hardwearing... (if that makes sense) and somehow says 'i dont take myself so seriously!' plus its just a sunny colour... and who doesnt need a bit of extra sun...?!

8 years ago
    I love mustard yellow with black . Really stands out in the room.
  • Jo DP
    8 years ago

Thanks stella at home! I have 2 old yellow sofas that were once duck egg yellow but are now faded by the sun & worn by the dogs but still adorable.

They have old needlepoint cushions on them & throws that change from rosy red to soft daffodil-leaf green in summer.

Yellow roses in a green glass vase are on an old habitat large square glass coffee table, as I write, but I have had the hot pink tulips there all spring.

Flowers from the garden will replace them when I come back from holiday..mixed shades of hot pink, pale pink roses, lime lady's mantle & whatevers going. They will be carefree arrangements, not "tidy".

Two antique french chairs live with them, in the seating area, covered in Kate Foreman roses fabric & rose red velvet.

They are in a room with big glass windows to the garden so the green of the garden tames them & they sit on an £8 auction large rug, which has had everything thrown at in, in french pinks & soft creams.

I am describing it in detail because , i will try & send a photo but I am hopeless on the computer !

Jox

• PRO
    Laara Copley-Smith Design
    8 years ago

so agree on the front doors, especially on white houses or stone houses. In the Uk in Sussex there are a number of villages quite a few of the cottages have yellow doors & window frames.

• PRO
    Coppice Guild
    8 years ago

What a coincidence to find yellow as a discussion topic - great choice Tom!

Only last night I was on a site survey discussing the use of yellow for a new family room/kitchen. Yellow as a predominant colour hasn't been used for a couple of decades now and as a trend we were discussing its comeback.

The clients are botanists so linking the scheme with the garden and nature is key to where we go with it and spring is their favourite time with the garden - hence the discussion.

The general consensus here though would appear to be adding it as an accent colour. I would love to do something a bit more courageous than that though. All suggestions welcome!

• Rob
    8 years ago

we just fitted a 1950s basin and loo in an art deco style in creamy yellow/primrose to our new boot room and teamed it with light grey metro tiles and oak parquet floor. looks amazing and the yellow really brightens up what would be a slightly dull cold room.

• PRO
    Akiva Projects Ltd
    8 years ago

Yellow is a bright, cheerful, summery colour!

• onwh
    8 years ago
    Our new kitchen..would never have considered yellow until I saw it in the showroom...certainly makes a statement..
  • onwh
    8 years ago
    Not quite sure where the photo went!!
  • neotoma
    8 years ago

Yep, we're in the middle of painting our sitting room dulux ringlet, and I'm exercising self-control on not painting the whole house some shade or other. It has to be the right yellow though - a pale buttery, primrosey soft yellow without mustardy, green or brown undertones.

• PRO
    Hillarys
    8 years ago

We definitely think yellow can work in the right context - in fact, lots of our customers at the moment love using it as an accent colour, in a monochrome scheme for example. It's really great at breaking up a scheme and stopping it from looking too insipid.

• PRO
    Anjali Hood
    8 years ago

It all depends on the shade of yellow - something with a bit of orange in it to suggest sunshine or some green to suggest spring is more pleasing than a buttercup yellow for an interior.

The right amount and shade of yellow can especially add an elegant touch of colour to a black & white interior scheme.

• Catherine Hounslow
    8 years ago

I'm not keen on yellow. Every time I've used yellow paint Ive repainted because it has been too strong on walls . It would need to be a very pale yellow for me to be convinced . Perhaps combined with white or pale grey in a bedroom ?

• Natalie Patton
    8 years ago
    Really really no! Bright yellow terrifies me (I'm colour phobic) and light mustardy or lemon I think looks dirty as though it used to be white of cream. Saying that though my friend has grey white and bright yellow stripes in her hallway all the way through the hall and up the stairs with white carndene (not sure I spelt that right) flooring and it looks amazing so bright and modern.... And brave
  • irenerooney
    8 years ago
    I love your yellow door! Yellow is one of my favourite colours it is such a joyful colour. I don't believe in following trends the colours you choose for any scheme should be colours you like and which make you feel good.
  • PRO
    Couture Cases Ltd
    8 years ago

Whoever thought yellow radiator covers would work. Our customers do! See lots more at modern radiator covers and couture cases

• PRO
    Coppice Guild
    8 years ago

Whether you like yellow or not these radiator covers certainly gave me a giggle!

• User
    8 years ago

Currently doing a small room in a warm, soft yellow. Tried a lemony yellow in a bedroom once and it was completely the wrong shade for the natural light in the room. Where the shadows fell it just looked a dirty grey/yellow so I think you have to be careful as there are so many different yellows.

• Pam Hill
    8 years ago

front doors have to be yellow for me. don't care about fashion - we lost the house we wanted in 1984 [it had a lovely yellow door] and so we bought this one, painted the door yellow, and it's been that way ever since.

i hate my yellow walls in the kitchen, though. they've got to go...

• milfordmaid
    8 years ago

White cottage walls. Black plinth, window sills + down-pipes. Yellow window reveals with yellow front door. Eye-catching + sunny. Great for directions in a rural setting.

• milfordmaid
    8 years ago

Best yellow colour-way? Saffron + Blue against Croke Park green - Up the Banner!!

• pointers
    8 years ago

Not much

• PRO
    ON&ON
    6 years ago

The very best of colours - so much flex from fried eggs and Sundays all the way through to contemporary engineering and industry

• hanste123
    6 years ago
    Love sunshine / lemon yellow
  • hanste123
    6 years ago
    Perhaps not a whole room in it though, but would love a liberal use of the colour as I also feel it is a happy summertime colour
  • PRO
    Cormar Carpets
    6 years ago

We love
    yellow, especially teamed with a moody/deep hue! It’s a stunning, clever look
    which all adds up to a room to remember.

Primo Excellence · More Info

• PRO
    Prince & Rebel
    6 years ago

Yellow Yum Yum

• PRO
    Архитектурно-дизайнерское бюро "5идей"
    6 years ago

We are always for bright color accents. Yellow is great!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.