tommyflan

Houzz Live Chat - Tips for dressing your windows, September 4th, 3pm

Tom Flanagan
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Kitchen? Check. Bathroom? Check. Windows? Umm...Treating your windows can often fall to the wayside of other major design projects, but making sure your home feels light, spacious and clutter-less means getting your window dressings just right.

That's why we've invited three window experts to help! Hillarys, Shutterly Fabulous and Pippa Rolls are here to answer any question you might have on windows - whether it's optimising light, choosing the type of treatment, or if you just want some advice on what looks good, our professionals are here for you!

Throughout this chat, we'll be asking our pros questions that have been posted beforehand but we encourage all Houzzers to ask away and take part in the discussion as it runs. This is how it will work: I will post questions as comments to the thread. Each question will have a question number and be allocated to a specific expert, for example ‘Q1)”. When the pro is answering a question, they will use the corresponding label, for example ‘A1)’. Don’t forget to keep refreshing the page to see new questions and answers.

The Live Chat will start Friday the 4th at 3pm and will run for 30-45 minutes. Feel free to post your questions now and we'll answer them in the chat! See you then!

Roman blinds · More Info

Muted colour shutters · More Info

Our Roman Blinds · More Info

Comments (81)

• PRO
    Shutterly Fabulous
    8 years ago

A2) This is certainly something that many of us have
    struggled with Sarah. A great solution is a vinyl plantation shutter. This
    product is100% waterproof so the shutters can withstand regular cleaning with
    warm water. They look exactly like a painted wood shutter and come in a range
    of louver sizes and colours. A shutter panel using wider shutter louvers will
    be quicker and easier to clean than small wooden or aluminium blind slats or a
    fabric roller blind, so definitely lower maintenance! They look great too.

• PRO
    Pippa Rolls Ltd
    8 years ago

A3) Hi @tia2406 and thanks for your question. Curtaining a small space can be quite a problem when you consider that curtaining can be the largest element in the room so we would suggest you go for light, textured fabrics and avoid patterns. Voiles, linens, even silks add a texture without adding too much pattern and are easier to live with in a small space.

We would also suggest you avoid bitty-ness. If you are looking to dress a living room window choose a Roman blind instead of having to opt for short curtains should there be a radiator under the window. Try and keep curtains long - this will help accentuate the ceiling height and make the room look bigger.

The less visual information you have in a room the larger it feels - so wall to wall curtaining might be a better option on a wall that has two windows for example than a pair of curtains at each window.

Aim to keep curtain rail heights even throughout the room to again, simplify the visual information.

• Related Discussions

Are you Houzzing in the UK? Come and say hi!

Q

Comments (133)
    Hello everyone! We have been around Houzz for a while but didn't get a chance to properly introduce ourselves. This is Said from Finite Solutions. We dedicate ourselves into creating the most elegant and functional smart home systems and bespoke home cinemas. Anything that optimise the clients' lifestyles at home and gives them better chances to enjoy their lives, we are there to help! We love working alongside interior designers and architects to implement home technologies that doesn't clutter or obtrude. We would love to help out with any home tech related questions, so feel free to get in touch! P.S: Loving the Houzz! Simply the biggest revolution in home improvement in ages!
    ...See More

Share your Christmas traditions!

Q

Comments (49)
    Family traditions My grandparents from the 1930s until 1980s used to own a popular shop in a small town. Throughout this time my grandmother would increase her turnover every christmas by creating the most amazing handmade tree Angels and artisan crackers. From September until December it was a tradition of fairy and cracker making. I loved the glitzy fabrics,netting and bright tinsel that adorned the fairies. The cracker making was great fun the smell of the crackers when pulled was nothing like today. Just like Fortnum and Masons my grandmothers Christmas window display would be unveiled at the beginning of December,people would flock to buy her Angels and crackers. I never had one of the fairies and I often wonder if any are still in use today, I hope there is somewhere,in some ones home adorning a tree at the top loved by all as a tradition in memory of my grandmother. Sadly my grandparents are no longer here though the tradition of Christmas cracker pulling reminds me of the excitement and joy at Christmas pulling one of their crackers. Today nothing else cuts the mustard, even though I follow the tradition of making my own, of course I know what's inside. I hope my daughters and grand daughters will follow the family tradition in cracker making one day too. Peace and goodwill to all Ginny
    ...See More

COLOUR SCHEME

Q

Comments (7)
    Hello Tia, Yes I too remember both of us giving advice before.. I suggested the burnt orange velvet with lighter cushions to accent the flooring and the chimney breast.. but with a view to the doors being painted.. There are very earthy tones including burnt ochre's, orange, greys, warm browns, stones and beige which would actually look fantastic, so maybe use the fireplace as inspiration.... I do though still maintain the idea of painting the doors... I think you would find things very much easier.. As painting these would immediately blend them into the walls and send them back in the eye view, as opposed to them being forward in the eye view at present.... The front door could be a slightly darker shade as it is a very handsome door... bigger and grander.. Mirrors will also bounce light.. I don't think grey or dark colours for the sofa are the right way to go as they appear cold.. Hence the warmer shades.. Why not ask for some fabric samples and try to move what you have around as Minnie suggested.. That way you actually see how to work the room.. : ))
    ...See More

Window on half landing

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Alison! Thanks for posting a discussion on Houzz and you're in luck - we're actually hosting a [Live Chat on window dressings this Friday[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/houzz-live-chat-tips-for-dressing-your-windows-september-4th-3pm-dsvw-vd~3329526) with three of our experts who might be able to help you with this dilemma - why not pose this question to them here and we'll get round to answering it in the Chat? Hope that helps and hopefully see you there!
    ...See More
  • Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks @Hillarys! Right your next question is from @UgneM:

Q4) Ugne needs to completely black-out her bay window - is there a particular window treatment that works best for a bay window?

• Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hope you find that helpful Sarah! Next one for Shutterly Fabulous is from @GillianMcInerney:

Q5) @GillianMcInerney just moved into a small bungalow and is wondering whether she should treat the French doors leading to her garden - is there a time when it’s best to leave a window ‘undressed’?

• Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Pippa - I'm one for long curtains too! Your next question is from @BredaHayes and @judithandtrevor:

Q6) What should you look for in a window treatment when you want to maximise the amount of light in your home?

• PRO
    Hillarys
    8 years ago

A4) Thanks for your question @UgneM. We’re
    frequently asked how to achieve the perfect blackout at the window. It’s
    incredibly difficult to achieve complete blackout, as in nearly all cases
    you’ll experience some degree of ‘light flare’, or a thin band of light that
    creeps in at the edge of the window. You’ll find this may be the case in your
    bay window, as there are lots of corners and angles to contend with.

The
    key to help combat this is layering. Blinds which follow each pane layered
    under curtains are a great idea, particularly when both have a blackout coating
    or lining. We’d suggest choosing Roman blinds with a blackout lining which butt
    up to each other to help maximise the room darkening effect. Or, if your
    windows are uPVC, blinds in a Perfect Fit frame clip into your frames, becoming
    an integral part of the window and helping to reduce light flare.

We
    also offer a curtain pole system which follows the shape of the bay window,
    which when combined with a blackout lining will further help with your quest
    for darkness.

• PRO
    Shutterly Fabulous
    8 years ago

A5) Having such a great view I can understand your
    reservations Gillian, however there is a way to retain this view and ensure your doors
    & windows look fabulous too. We fit shutters to this very same layout on a
    regular basis and the key is to go for small panels. For example, we suggest 3
    separate frame sections across this entire space. In the central frame, fitting
    4 panels hinged as 2 bifolds LL RR will allow the shutters to fold back and sit
    either side of the door. Shutters look beautiful when closed and slats tilted
    but they look equally great when the slats are tilted closed and the panels are
    folded back to frame the sides of the doors. For the windows either side a set
    of trifolding panels to the left or right side wall will allow you to fully
    expose the view in summer and close shutters in the frame to cosy up in the winter
    and evenings. Gillian feel free to contact me directly hello@shutterlyfabulous.com so I
    can share some gorgeous images showing how your room could look with shutters

• PRO
    Pippa Rolls Ltd
    8 years ago

A6) Natural daylight is valuable in our temperate climate so we always recommend that our clients look at the area AROUND the window as well as the area of window they want to dress. This wall space is a valuable area needed for a blind to fold up into or for curtains either side of the window to stack back into. Traditionally people add 6"/15cms either side of their window for stack-back but we suggest you use more, especially if the window is wider than 150cms....go ahead and use 20-25cms! You won't regret it!

Another way of maximising light is to use fabrics that create 50% opacity instead of 100%. Fabric such as voiles can create privacy but also allow light to penetrate a room and in the summer filtered light gives a softness to a room that cannot be achieved by using heavier fabrics.

Hope this helps!

• Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have to say I quite like a bit of light through but that tip on layering is really handy to know! Hillarys your next question(s) is from @aiobheann:

Q7) @aiobheann1 has got two questions! Firstly she’s struggling with the light coming through her kitchen/living room! She’s got two south-facing facing windows either side of her stove and two westward-facing French doors - both sets of which let the sun stream through! She wants to reduce the glare but is torn on what treatment to use - what would you recommend is a good treatment that balances brightness in a room? She’s also struggling with privacy in her north-facing bedroom but doesn’t want the room to be dark - what would you suggest?

• Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks @ShutterlyFabulous - next question is from @johunt:

Q8) @Johunt has got a floor-to-ceiling window in the bedroom and wants a practical and unfussy treatment for it - what would you say would achieve this look?

• Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Great tip Pippa - voiles are always a nice touch when trying to strike that balance of light and privacy. Next question for you:

Q9) @rachtotheg needs some ideas to dress this window in her son’s room, something that will block out the light but remain stylish - what would you recommend?

• PRO
    Hillarys
    8 years ago

A7) Hiya @aiobheann1. When
    light control is key, a solution with louvres is a great option. In this case,
    I’d recommend Vertical blinds. Many people see these as immensely practical,
    but they also offer bags of style and are available in an array of colours and
    designs.

As you have various-facing windows, Vertical
    blinds allow you to tilt the louvres as the sun moves around the house, so you
    can diffuse or block out the light as you please. As all these windows are in
    the same space, we’d also recommend choosing the same blinds throughout for a
    sleek, coordinated effect, and choosing to have them split in the middle so
    they open in a similar fashion to curtains. Choosing a translucent fabric will
    help to keep a light and airy feel in your home.

Day & Night Transition™ blinds · More Info

In the
    case of your unusual bedroom window, there’s a clever system called Day and Night Transition™ Pleated blinds which allows you to use two different
    Pleated fabrics at the window at the same time. This would mean you could layer
    a blackout fabric to help you sleep, with a lighter weight fabric for privacy
    during the day, or a mixture of the two to control the light, meaning you won't block out all the light all day.

• PRO
    Shutterly Fabulous
    8 years ago

A8) @Johunt ..Keep
    things stylish and minimal looking by choosing full height shutter panels with
    a larger louver. Shutterly Fabulous can offer louvers up to 114mm wide and
    these will allow maximum light into the room and of course a better view to the
    outside! Additionally I would suggest choosing a concealed rod on your shutters.
    This means the shutter louvers are connected by a tiny mechanism on the reverse
    of the panel so when the slats are tilted to open position there are no vertical
    pushrods or bars, simply touch any louver and they all move together. Check our
    website or order a brochure to see images of these stylish shutters with a
    minimal look.

• Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks again @Hillarys - I love the look of vertical blinds and having them in a vibrant colour that's a little bit different really does make a statement! Next up is @montbray's question:

Q10) @montbray has got a large set of windows with small radiators underneath and not much space to fix a rail above them - what are some practical window treatments for awkward window spaces such as this?

• Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Next up for @ShutterlyFabulous is from @qffiffle:

Q11) What are some good treatments for bifold doors that maintain light and warmth?

• PRO
    Hillarys
    8 years ago

A10) Welcome to the chat @montbray. As
    your windows open inwards and there isn’t much room above, it’s best to have
    your blinds attached to the door to avoid any obstructions and still let you
    open them. This will also avoid covering your radiators. Venetian blinds would
    be a good option here, attached with special hold-down brackets to the window,
    allowing you both light and privacy control.

Trilite™ Top-Down, Bottom-Up Pleated blinds · More Info
    Alternatively, there
    are lots of Pleated blind options. You could choose a single fabric attached to
    the door, which will allow you to diffuse the light beautifully, or you might
    like to consider Trilite™ Top-Down Bottom-Up Pleated blinds. This is where the
    blinds can not only be pulled down like conventional blinds, but also up from
    the bottom of the window.

• PRO
    Pippa Rolls Ltd
    8 years ago

A9) Hi @rachtotheg. Firstly, let us just say what a beautiful window your son has in his room! We appreciate the problems you are having dressing it though. Curtains would be wrong and are clearly impractical given the narrow width at the top of the window - a Roman blind will fore-shorten the window and crowd the space too much. We would suggest you apply the Less-is-more rule and opt for a bespoke blackout roller blind made up in a really fantastic fabric (see the latest Jane Churchill collection for great children's designs for example!) to fit inside the window reveal, across the width of the window. This could be combined with a close-able shutter for the fan-light or a more permanently fitted board that is upholstered in the same fabric and fits into the space - although we would prefer the shutter idea if budget is not the issue. Make sure you get the roller blind with a reverse-roll action so that the fabric falls to the front and not to the back. This top-tip means you don't see the roller and keeps it sleek and chic!

• Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Pippa - less is definitely more in this case! Your next question is from @kt11agl:

Q12) @kt11agl has a simple problem - the window in her north-facing guest bedroom is too wide (W229cm, Drop 113cm)! She’s tried black-out curtains to no avail and can’t make to measure a single piece of Roman to dress the full window width! What would you suggest is the best treatment for a wide window?

• PRO
    Shutterly Fabulous
    8 years ago

A11) Bifolding doors are a
    fantastic addition to any property especially when fitted to wider openings.
    Our bespoke shutters installed using a track system is a perfect option. A top
    and bottom track piece will guide and support the panels as they are bifolded
    back to open. This allows customers to fit shutters to very wide openings. We would
    always recommend our bigger louver size on these shutters to stay in keeping
    with the size of the doors. If your door opening is in the region of 2000mm
    wide then a standard wood frame installation works perfectly. If you need
    bespoke advice on your doors don’t hesitate to contact us.

• Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Sarah & Zoe! @Hillarys your next question is a general one:

Q13) What have you noticed have been some recent trends in window treatments and do you predict any more for the coming year?

• Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Shutterly, we love bifolding doors too! Your next question is a general:

Q14) What are some of the major benefits of using shutters versus curtains and blinds?

• PRO
    Hillarys
    8 years ago

A13) Specifically
    in window treatments, layering is big news. Roman blinds and curtains are often
    layered, but we’re seeing different combinations, like Pleated and Romans, and
    Venetian and Romans come through too. It’s all about mixing different textures,
    shades, patterns and fabrics.

As part of our product range, we notice shutters show
    no signs of waning in popularity, with many people supporting the idea that
    it’s better to buy once and buy well. We also see the idea of motorisation and
    in-home automation on the horizon.

Elsewhere in
    interiors, the Scandi style is thriving. Though homes in Scandinavia generally
    have nothing at the window, back in the UK we have to deal with a different
    light situation. At the moment, we’re seeing the desire for this minimalist
    style balanced in window dressings.

Living room blinds and interiors · More Info

Finally, for
    the Autumn/Winter season, we’re seeing strong Jewel shades. That’s why we put
    together ‘Jewel:The Edit’ which combines the sumptuous shades of Amber, Jade,
    Sapphire and Ruby. Have a flick through a current home interest magazine, and
    it’s all you’ll see – perfect for cosying up as the weather gets cooler.

Living room blinds and interiors · More Info

• PRO
    Pippa Rolls Ltd
    8 years ago

A12) We appreciate that your window is wide but you don't have a very long drop at 115cms so a Roman blind of 230cms is not a complete impossibility. This blackout lined and interlined one we made for a bathroom measures 280cms wide.

At Pippa Rolls Ltd we use Silent Gliss and Forest for our Roman blind mechanisms because they offer such great quality. If you use a sidewinder mechanism with a chain then this will be far more versatile and easier to control than the traditional batten. cord and cleat system.

• Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Pippa! Your last question is from @Marina:

Q15) @Marina is flummoxed on how to dress these two windows - she doesn’t like the current arrangement with the raised curtain rail and wants something different. Do you have any initial thoughts for dressing large windows such as this?

• PRO
    Shutterly Fabulous
    8 years ago

A14) There are plenty of benefits
    to consider. Firstly shutters are pretty much maintenance free, no dry cleaning
    required
    ! Shutters
    offer maximum flexibility when controlling the light and view. Curtains on the other
    hand are either open or closed, but thin shutter panels can fold back 180
    degrees and sit against the interior wall or sit at a 90 degree angle to the
    window. The louvers too offer great flexibility as they can tilt to provide
    various stages of privacy. Another benefit is the range of window designs that
    shutters can work on. Special shaped windows like circular, triangular or
    arches are very popular now but can be hard to dress. Wood shutters can be
    custom built to fit any shape and can solve such challenges.

• Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We're definitely onboard the Scandi train! Right, I think we have time for a bonus question for you guys @Hillarys. This one's from @dragonflyblue57:

Q16) “We have a lovely old oak front door which is partly glazed to let in as much light as possible. However whatever we do, we seem unable to stop the draughts. I'm looking for ideas on the best way to dress the door whilst keeping the light and making it cosy during the winter months. The height of the door is 250cm so standard curtains are not an option.”

• Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Shutters can look so lovely on shaped windows! @ShutterlyFabulous here's a bonus question for you:

Q17) Bathrooms can often be a tricky space to design - what kind of window treatment would you recommend for them?

• PRO
    Hillarys
    8 years ago

A16) Hiya @dragonflyblue57. That's a good question - draughty doors can be a pesky problem! Made-to-measure curtains can be made to the length that you require, and choosing a jacquard fabric which has an interlining between the front and the back will provide a thermal quality, as well as looking super sumptuous. It is possible to buy a curtain pole which is hinged so that in the daytime it sits against the side wall, and overnight you bring it back over the door.

Alternatively, you could put an individual ThermaShade™ Pleated blind over each of the glazing areas, which is made of honeycomb-like fabric which traps the air between like a duvet would.

Hope this helps!

• PRO
    Shutterly Fabulous
    8 years ago

A) It depends on the size of the window Tom and its location in the
    bathroom. Tier on tier shutters are perfect for taller bathroom windows. This
    design allows the bottom panels to stay closed for privacy but the top panels
    can be opened back when you require maximum daylight. Another consideration is
    water. Wet rooms for example require a Vinyl or Fauxwood shutter as these
    materials are 100% waterproof. However if the shutter is not going to get wet a
    hardwood shutter is absolutely fine. As most bathrooms can be predominately
    white maybe consider going for a custom coloured shutter. This is a great way
    to add your style statement to an otherwise neutral room.

• PRO
    Pippa Rolls Ltd
    8 years ago

Hi Marina - I have all your solutions right here!

What you have at the moment is almost there! You are absolutely right to have the Roman blind behind the sofa. Curtains would look foreshortened and wrong. You are also right to have the pole at the same height as the kitchen entrance and the roman blind that is already up. What we would suggest you need is a dummy Roman blind to fit between the top of the french doors and just up to the line of the curtain pole. This will give the impression the patio doors are taller which accentuates height (and the "tall is beautiful" rules always apply here!) plus it will continue the same theme / language on from the sofa wall window.

Have a look at our profile page and our website www.pipparolls.com - you will see lots blinds and curtains combined in the way we are suggesting.

Both of the above photos are of windows where the Roman blinds are dummies. The windows finish just above the line of the Roman blinds.....what we did was use the available wall space above the window to hang the curtain pole in and to set the line!

Good luck!

Tom Flanagan thanked Pippa Rolls Ltd
  • Marina
    8 years ago

Thank you Pippa. That sounds a perfect solution. I´m delighted to have some direction now.

• Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow now those are some answers! I think that's going to be all we have time for today, and we've managed to get through all the questions.

A big thank you to Hillarys, Shutterly Fabulous and Pippa Rolls for taking the time today and offering their expert advice, some really great answers in here which hopefully everyone will find useful!

Great chat everyone and until next time!

• PRO
    Shutterly Fabulous
    8 years ago

Thanks Tom , always happy to help. We love talking about windows and interiors. If we can assist anybody with their specific project or an awkward window do feel free to contact us on hello@shutterlyfabulous.com. Have a great weekend everyone !

Best regards

Chrissie

Tom Flanagan thanked Shutterly Fabulous
  • dragonflyblue57
    8 years ago

Many thanks for your very useful suggestions, I now have some new ideas to work with.

• aoibheann1
    8 years ago

Many thanks for your help. Just wondering if you could make any other suggestions as I feel vertical blinds look very officey

• tia2406
    8 years ago

Thank you Pippa for answering my question . Your suggestions are great and will certainly keep them in mind when i go curtain shopping.

• PRO
    Curtains & Interiors by Rae
    8 years ago
    The best way to blackout your room is have pelmets .
    These can use the space another your windows so no light is lost.
  • PRO
    Hillarys
    8 years ago

Hi aoibheann1, thanks for your question. A blind with slats or louvres is the best choice for your window woe. Venetian blinds also provide fingertip control over light and privacy, and the louvres on shutters could also help. Alternatively, if shutters are a little out of your price range, then Wooden blinds mimic the effect without the same investment. Adding tape to them instead of traditional cords gives a lovely luxurious effect that creates a continental feel.

Hope that helps!

• montbray
    8 years ago

thanks for your comments, but a bit disappointing as the only solution offered was one I had already thought of. I was hoping that there would be something other than putting blinds onto each window as it makes 4 blinds in total and I think it could look rather busy. Thank you anyway.

• Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi @montbray , thanks for leaving a comment! Feel free to contact a professional via their Houzz profile if you've got further questions or are looking for some extra help in your home.

• jillnealon
    8 years ago
    Hi everyone thanks for this great invitation to comment on the wonders of window dressing ,just like montbay I have windows that open inward half the size of the ones in their photograph and ours are in a bedroom , difficult as a blind would have to be above the top of the window in order to open it so I am thinking curtains and " framing the window . But the one on the left side is right up against the wall so would only allow for one curtain. Hope that make sense , please help many thanks Jill
  • PRO
    Hillarys
    8 years ago

Hi Jillnealon - is there any chance you could attach a photo so it's a little easier to visualise? We'd be very pleased to offer you some advice.

Thanks

• PRO
    Hillarys
    8 years ago

Hi @montbray, I'm sorry you feel
    disappointed with the advice - I think we tried to offer what we felt was the best
    solution, which obviously coincided with the ideas you had in your head.

As
    your windows open inwards, in terms of window access, your options are much
    more limited than they usually would be. Attaching a single blind with a small ‘stack’ like a Pleated blind,
    above the windows may work as long as there is enough clearance for them to
    still open. There are some lovely designs and opacities in Pleated
    fabrics and some have a pearlised backing which helps with heat management.

Alternatively, you could try a voile curtain which will add a
    soft feel – we didn’t offer this as an option initially, as curtains will
    obviously sway in the breeze much more than a Pleated or Venetian blind which
    is attached to the window.

Hope this helps - and as Tom suggested, do feel free to contact us directly via our Houzz profile.

• jillnealon
    8 years ago
    Hilary's thank you here are a couple of photos of the window they are deeply recessed and the second one is too close to the wall for a balanced curtain pole . It's a bedroom in a classic French Provençal house , beautiful but challenging shapes and sizes many thanks Jill
  • jillnealon
    8 years ago
    Hilary's one other question there is a similar shape window in the bathroom and I saw you mention water proof blinds ? Again it's recessed so not easy , finally the French doors are all recessed and so ideas for curtains / blinds very welcome thank you
  • PRO
    Hillarys
    8 years ago

Hiya Jill, thanks for sending those images over. In response to your first question about your bedroom, I can think of a couple of
    solutions that may work. The first is the same solution as my previous
    French window answer to @montbray and fit something that moves with the window, either a Pleated or a Venetian which operate under tension and open with a thumb tab
    rather than a cord.

Alternatively, it would look
    quite nice if a blind, particularly a Roman blind was fitted right to the top
    of the wall above the window, at the ceiling. This will allow the blind
    to be ‘dressed’ to form a valance effect above the window when the blind is
    open, giving full view from, and use of the window and when it is closed, it
    will give the illusion of the window being taller.

In the case of your bathroom blind, you might like to try a waterproof Roller blind made from PVC fabric. Alternatively, Faux wood blinds are a really great idea, as they have all the look of traditional Wooden blinds, but won't warp in wet or steamy conditions.

Admittedly, it is a difficult
    window to dress and there are not a lot of options, but hopefully, these will
    give you some ideas.

Sarah

• PRO
    Shutterly Fabulous
    8 years ago

Hi Jill

Have you considered interior plantation shutters ?

Fitting the shutter frame directly onto the wall surround clear of were the window moves is a good solution for inward opening windows. The shutter panels are hinged within the frame and will open and swing back 180 degress and sit back flat on the interior wall. This clears the space for the windows to tilt or open in . The panels can be custom made to fold in 2 either side so a slim bifold panel frames the window either side.

I see there is a slight eyebrow shape to the top of the windows , if you prefer to avoid paying additional costs for a special shaped shutter why not just cover the lower section of the window with a cafe shutter ( half height shutter design).

Looks like a gorgeous property Jill, good luck with your design.

Best

Chrissie

• angiegiles
    8 years ago
    Sarah,

With the greasy blind. I recommend you have your blind cleaned by ultrasonic blind cleaners. You're in London so I would recommend a company called Dirtyblinds.
    It won't remove stains or restore the colour if sun bleached but it cleans out dust, dirt and grease beautifully.
  • Marina
    8 years ago

Pippa Rolls don´t know if you will see this, but here are the finished curtains and blinds. Thanks again for your help.

Cariñena · More Info

Cariñena · More Info

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.