clandersonbc
7 years ago
how big ? what soil and sun please ?
Mote Avenue, Maidstone · More Info

Comment (1)

• PRO
    Cowen Garden Design
    7 years ago

Hi Clandersonbc! Melianthus first. I love them, great for an eye catching foil. The plants grow to between 2 and 3 m tall and 1 to 3 m spread. BUT they are very rangy and untidy at full height and loose all their lower leaves. I therefore prune them back each spring to the ground, when the frosts have done, and let them send up fresh growth each year. That way they look much neater and stay contained. They're easy to prune as the stems are hollow.

Full sun is preferred but I grow some in semi-shade, full sun in the morning but shady in the afternoon.

They are not very frost hardy and a well drained winter soil is more likely to be successful. The book says good in coastal areas. Mine have been in containers or on ground that drains well. The Mote Avenue garden, however, is neither of these but it is in a warmer urban area. Soil acidity doesn't seem to affect them much.

Flowering is unlikely although in a raised bed they flowered once.

Hope that helps, more info coming about the "white" poppy but I don't think it's a poppy!

Andrew

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.