tamp75

Colour decisions

tamp75
7 years ago
We're nearing the end of our year long bungalow renovation & my decision making skills are at an all time low! Need to decide on colour scheme for our snug based around these horrible dark brown leather sofas & wood effect laminate floor. I hate the sofas, my husband loves them but we can't afford to replace them yet anyway. Was thinking of a deep blue as a feature wall around fire place but it feels very masculine to me. Possibly will add some brass features. Could it take some bright pink / purple to feminise it or would that be too much?!? Otherwise I'd play it safe with layers of cream / brown based greys. Either way will add large rug to the floor & need curtains, blind & cushions. Ideas & advice really appreciated, thanks.

Comments (23)

• mrsmcee74
    7 years ago
    I'm having the same dilemma, my sofas are the exact same colour (and I hate them). I'm going for Dulux Dusted Moss 2 but keep changing my mind whether to go for Stiffkey blue on one wall. I think you can make it more feminine with purples and pinks - see pic. If I chicken out of the blue I'm just going for it with patterned soft furnishings and lots of bold prints. Sorry don't really know if I've been of any help.
  • tamp75
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Mrsmcee74 - thanks for your input & the photo - the blue looks great with pink & purple. Hope it would also work with brown.
    Dusted moss 2 looks like a good colour & one you could layer up with pattern & texture.
    All of our house is white so far so think I need to go for a bit of bold colour somewhere just wish I didn't need to work around the sofas!
  • mrsmcee74
    7 years ago
    the best the room has ever looked was when I had it olive green, it worked really well with the sofas. There are quite a few colours that go, mostly rich colours.
  • tamp75
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    We've had an olive green with our sofas too. Also a coffee colour paint with duck egg blue accessories. Nothing seems to really work when you don't like the sofas!
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Hi Tamp. I like the blue with the sofas. Do you have any particular style in mind? You could add deep blue and white ikat cushions on the sofa (and a throw if it stays put!). A sisal rug that tones in with the floor. Perhaps some big fat table lamps and a vase of faux hydrangea. A couple of pieces of abstract art on the walls (which I'd paint an off white), maybe one in blues and white and the other with blue and either yellow, orange, coral etc. I suppose that would give you a contemporary slightly coastal feel but it might be more feminine?

• mrsmcee74
    7 years ago
    The blue you've picked goes really well with the curtains I've chosen for our living room from John Lewis. I agree with Minnie, it's basically what I'm going to try to do. I'm going to add some sheepskin to the sofa in an attempt to soften it and I've got a jute rug for more texture, think layering as you've mentioned is key.
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Mrsmcee, did you give up on the search for that elusive grasscloth wallpaper then?!

• PRO
    RED Interior Design
    7 years ago

Hi Tamp75; you haven't mentioned the size of the room, its light levels, its aspect etc. etc. all of which will have a huge bearing on how colours will look, so I am just throwing these ideas at you - I've picked up the hue of the sofa, floor and wall(s) from your picture and would suggest the next three accent colours to warm up the whole scheme. Try to get femininity into the scheme through pattern (floral?) and texture rather than colour. I'm imagining a floral rug, artwork with these accent colours, cushions etc. etc.I would advise not going for pink with the dark brown of the sofa. Finally, try putting "brown leather sofas" into Houzz; there are tonnes of pictures with schemes featuring these which may give you some inspiration. Good luck!! :)

• mrsmcee74
    7 years ago
    Lynsey Jane your living room looks great, maybe I should be more daring. Yes Minnie given up on the silk or grasscloth, the ones I could find in the right colour were just too expensive and given how fickle I am, paint seems like the sensible option.
  • Emmanuelle
    7 years ago
    Go for it!! I painted our lounge stiffkey blue to start with, but thought it was too "blue". Then, found another paint, with a hint of green; had to repaint the whole room again, but was worth it. Everyone thinks it's a lovely & cosy room! And it's such a fab colour as a background to art/frames! Be daring, it's only paint!
  • tamp75
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you all for your advice & ideas - I'm feeling much braver now! Emanuelle, could you pls tell me which colour you used in the end - it looks great, especially with your chair! I'd originally wanted more of a blue / grey colour but can't find one without too much purple in it.
    Red Interior Design - I've attached a rough plan of the room. It's approx 5 X 4 m and is very light (French doors to s-w facing garden) but a difficult space with so many doors and windows. I have no idea where to place any furniture! Double doors go to our main open plan living / kitchen space. Building in white painted shelving in the alcove to the left of the fireplace & I'd like the feature wall colour to show through.
    We have this painting to use which is actually much deeper blue than it looks in the photo & is why I looked at stiffkey blue in the first place. However, I don't really want to go coastal in any other way. We live near the sea so it's a bit too cliched for me. Was going to put it on blue wall over fire place but maybe I should have a mirror instead?
    Mrs Mcee74 - I've been looking at very similar curtains at John Lewis - 3rd photo. Love the ones you have too. It's a step away from the usual floral / leaf designs I'd usually go for. I'm just not sure how I'd tie it in with the rest of the downstairs window finishes as I wouldn't want to use this pattern throughout. So confused!
    Minnie101- I hadn't thought about using a sisal rug which would give some good texture. I like the attached rug but wouldn't use it with patterned curtains . I agree about the throws - Unfortunately they don't stay on the sofas well at all which is a real pain when you want to soften the look of those eyesores!
    Lynsey Jane Design - thanks for sharing your photos - your room looks amazing - love the coffee table & console too!
    Finally lighting. I'd wanted a dark blue drum shade with gold interior but can't find one. Should I diy the interior with paint? Fire risk maybe? Other than that, I kind of like the shade I've attached. Again not something I'd usually go for but think it might fit in?
    Sorry for the long post - getting a bit excited about possibilities now!
  • tweakyb
    7 years ago

All looks really lovely- noticed u went for crystal handles on ur kitchen doors... They look great!!

• tamp75
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks! Took me a while to make kitchen handles decision too but so glad I went for the crystal ones.
  • Emmanuelle
    7 years ago
    Hi tamp75,
    We used Valspar, peaceful panorama. Love the geometric blue rug btw!!
  • PRO
    Abstract Landscapes
    7 years ago

Wow I think the deep blue will go really well, here are some pictures that may work with that colour scheme too.

Blue with Waldorf · More Info

Living Room Art · More Info

Sitting Room Art · More Info

Sea Haze · More Info

• minnie101
    7 years ago

Other option for light but with copper

http://www.made.com/hue-pendant-shade-navy-copper

• donnawildy
    7 years ago
    how about putting wallpaper with trees with no leaves, there are some stunning ones out there
  • tamp75
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for the links Minnie101 - you always seem to know just where to find things!
    Emanuelle - thanks, think I'll get a tester to try before I go any further!
  • tamp75
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Donnawildy - thanks for your suggestion - I have found some beautiful wallpapers but unfortunately, as the whole house has been replastered, my husband (who's mostly not bothered how I decorate) is adamant that he doesn't want wallpaper.
  • Viv Bristow
    7 years ago
    Instead of blue, would you think of as deep aubergine colour? I think it works really well at achieving that 'snug' look but keeps it warm and can just keep it from being completely masculine without going girly. I think your dark brown sofas would work well and give it an overall cosy, snuggy feel really well. Something like the pics below...
  • christineacy
    7 years ago

Hello. If you consider your brown sofas as the base. Add to them. Pops of colour are great to give the area more life. Cushions and a throw over the arm if the sofa is in a cosy room for chilling out. Warm colours and lights too. If you go for a blue on the walls, get a range of blues you like (there are cool base blues and warm base blues ) and hang them up around the sofa leave them for a few days because the day/night light and lighting will change the hues / colours. You can change them around specially if one is near a corner and dismiss them as and when. And yes blue and copper does look cosy, good and luscious. Buy a small pot of copper paint and see if that works or a small copper picture frame and place it near the sofa. Have fun.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.