paul_murphy

How would we extend here?

Paul Murphy
6 years ago

My partner and I went to view a property today that we really loved but had a really small kitchen and we're not sure how we would extend to try and create something a little more open plan. The property is towards the top end of our budget so if we did put in an offer then in all likelihood we wouldn't be able to make any modifications straight away but it would be good to work out what could be done.

The obvious change would be to convert the basement. Although the floorplan shows cellar rooms covering half the house, I could see through the back wall that the basement continues under the whole house. I love the idea of a huge basement/living area but I'd imagine that the cost would also be huge and so I'm not sure it would ever be an option (the head height wasn't great so I'd have thought would need to be dug out to give a good space).

Another option could possibly be a side return but how would this work with the basement? Here is the back of the house where you can just see the door and window to the basement. Would there be a way to create a side return without closing off the option of creating an entrance to the basement and blocking off all the natural light? With the height of the ground floor, would it be possible to extend out at all and would we end up losing more garden to be able to step down? I like the idea of a glass side return which would mean that the window to the dining room could be left as it is but then it also would be nice to open that room up to any extension at the back. Also, the garden isn't huge so wouldn't really want to eat into that space too much

What do you guys think would be both possible and sensible here to create a larger kitchen / dining area?

Comments (17)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.