emmasmith85

How to make our tired 1930s terrace look pretty?

Emma Smith
5 years ago

We just bought our first house! It’s a bit of a doer-upper (e.g. the garden is currently accessed via a 5ft drop from some old French doors) but we’re really excited about the opportunity to make it our home.

Although it’s not top of the list of things that need doing, we’d like to make the front of the house look a bit more appealing... l’m thinking a more traditional 1930s door with stained glass inserts, but not sure what material... or whether we need to set it back a bit to turn the alcove in to a little porch like it would have been originally (like next door). Also the windows - they’re cheap uPVC at the moment, but not sure what would look nicer (obviously taking down those nets inside would be a start... this is the estate agent’s photo). We also want to give the house a lick of paint - maybe blue-grey? Plus those hanging tiles - not sure what to do about those to be honest.

If anyone has some flash of inspiration about any of this, please let me know! I’d be grateful to hear your thoughts

Comments (19)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.