webuser_71660

cheapest landscaping/ patio options?

Tani H-S
5 years ago
Just had a rough price for prepping base and putting down Indian stone outside the new extension as a 2.6m depth x approx 10m width and it’s about £2,700 ish.

I’m thinking of ways to reduce the cost but still have a practical outdoor area.

Photo below shows the space I need to do - currently concrete base to the left which needs to come out as it’s too high (must have had a shed on it as some point) and then the concrete in the middle section is old. To the right side is all mud/soil as that area was dug out of the garden to extend into.

As it is, the area to the right (as you look at it) needs to be durable as the main back door will be there so high traffic.

Only options I can think of ...

1) loose stones (but will get everywhere??)

2) as above but within narrow path outside the main back door.

3) all concrete.

4) decking - probably end up costing the same as will still have to remove existing concrete to sit it off the ground??

Will post some more pics in a moment ..

Comments (42)

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Some more pictures:

(Currently just boards laid on the floor where the soil should be)

Images from the inside out (building with the window is the garage)
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Images from the outside looking at it (right side has the curved stoned path which can come out)

Left side shows the raised concrete area
  • Related Discussions

Advice on patio

Q

Comments (12)
    Hi. If budget is tight rendering is not an option, why not just paint the wall and railings, be bold with your colour choice, that will make a massive difference and as Eliza says take the wall from the 70's to contemporary. Please don't put stones/ gravel or similar onto any existing solid surface, they wont stay put and they will act like roller bearings. There isn't a cheap and certainly not a free solution. I think Eliza's other comment about remove the slabs and cover with shingle is the best solution. Ideally remove slabs level with sharp sand, cover with geotextile membrane and then add shingle. Sharp sand and pea shingle for drainage from a builders merchant are the cheapest solution at about £45/tonne bag. Fancy landscape stone is virtually the same but massively more expensive. you are limited on colour. Break up the expanse of gravel with olives, bays, lavender and rosemary in pots and you have an instant Italian feel, look and aroma. 1 tonne bags of shingle @ 50mm will cover around 15 sq m. For any sort of paving laid on a proper base you are looking at £100 sq m.
    ...See More

cheapest privacy borders?

Q

Comments (29)
    @embzop that’s really interesting- I didn’t know that! Although it does make sense.. nice to know it doesn’t include bamboo tho! Makes me think that we really do need to trim our conifers (it’s been on the list to do for a while - they’re definitely way over 2m! Although our neighbours have never mentioned it!) @catrine - sorry for the misinformation.. you do still have the right to plant what you like! But if they’re awkward they may get fussy about the height!
    ...See More

urgent help - layout for patio tiles!

Q

Comments (21)
    Quick Q ... they use a resin for pointing so we don’t get weeds growing through (yay!) but I have a choice of natural (too light), grey or black. The tiles are black limestone which actually look mid grey but darker slightly when sealed and can look black when wet. The grey resin isn’t very dark. Black might be too harsh. Any thoughts??
    ...See More

looking for a garden landscaper for my back garden.

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi there, Sounds like a good start as you already have mature trees and shrubs in there to work with. I offer a range of online garden design services (from simple sketches to full on garden plans and options of planting plans and 3D visuals as add on). Please have a look at my website to see if any of them fits what you are looking for (and also to have a look at my portfolio) and get in touch. I would be happy to help! Deborah The Rooted Concept Garden Designs
    ...See More
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

Given the size of the garden, would it be worth considering putting a patio at an angle rather than square on? It could make it look bigger? Where are you based?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    In Lancashire FY area.
    What do you mean at an angle, sorry?

The patch of ‘weeds’ area we wanted to have grass in so that hasn’t been included in the costs. It’s just literally the part all across the back and out to 2.6m (which stops at the weed area) but we don’t need to go that wide where the traffic door will be as we will only be sitting to the left (where the raised concrete base is)
  • Ribena Drinker
    5 years ago

Do you have to do it right away? Could it wait until later when you've got the extension finished and you've lived in it for a bit, to see what you feel would be the way you'll use it? You may find you want it a bit bigger than you're thinking now to allow some outside seating or a fire pit - that sort of thing.

Personally, I'd be tempted to wait before rushing into something not quite right and having to have it re-done.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hello. That was the plan - but I’m worried about digging up all the concrete with the new bifold doors in and then getting damaged as they are right by the door.

Should we get it removed now and just put some cheap stones down onto the soil? Worried about it being muddy and slippy :0/
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Before you go to the lengths of knocking out all of the concrete you should decide what is goings there and if laid on top of the concrete whether it would obstruct the doors.

You might want to consider block paving as is can be laid in sand over concrete and there are plenty of used pavers available inexpensively on EBay.

Whatever you decide to put down it may be worth taking out some of the concrete near the house to put a drain into.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi, yes there is only a small space on top of the middle concrete bit and they don’t think it’s enough to lay slabs and a drain etc without it affecting the threshold.
    The raised concrete section to the left is definitely too high to slab on top of.

We mainly wanted some seating/coffee table outside this area for chilling out on. It’s south facing though so likely use it in the morning and late avo.
  • Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    Look at raised patio systems with porcelain tiles, perfect for what you have in place right now! Totally removable and no drainage required!
  • embzop
    5 years ago

Loose stones are a pain...in the bare feet! I used to have them as a cheap alternative to a patio. They will also get kicked around, you can't comfortably walk on it in healed shoes and you will be forever trying to get the garden furniture level. You will then have to pay for it to be removed when you do get fed up with it.

The cheap way of doing a patio is to build it yourself. Otherwise I would suggest waiting till you can, or want to, pay for it to be done as a patio.

P.S. I got rid of the cheap gravel area in my garden and had a new patio just over 2 years ago. Only regret was not doing it sooner.

• Sonia
    5 years ago

My sandstone paving cost, 2 years ago, approx £1000 for the paving and then another £1000 for 2 men to lay it/dig etc. Size is approx 3m wide x 16m long. Also had some clay pavers laid to add interest and they were about £200.

I have also got wooden decking near the house. It was a temporary measure as, like you it was all I could afford at the time, but I love it. It’s getting a little untidy so it needs painting this summer, but does get a little slippery when wet. My brother, a builder laid it over our old wobbly, cracked paving, by building a framework, so it is raised quite a bit over the old paving. The nice thing is it is almost level with the threshold to the patio doors. I think a decent builder could get over the craggy concrete bits? It was about 8 years ago and it cost approx £400 including the wood.

However if you just want a temporary cheap finish then try pea shingle.(gravel). It’s dead cheap and easy to lay. The stones are small and smooth so easier to walk on than some of the more angular stones. It will get kicked about though. You can lay edging (usually wood) to help keep it in place. Here’s a couple of pics of my paving and decking, which definitely needs tidying up!

• PRO
    Garden Design Guru
    5 years ago

Two lower cost options better than loose gravel are gravel in stabilization grids (or cells) and self-binding gravel.

Self-binding gravel is put down about 40mm thick over a hardcore base and it will then compact. I always say to clients that it's like the stuff the French play petanque on. Not very loose but not entirely solid and a bit dusty. Usually offered in off-white, buff and grey colours.

The stabilsation grids are in a fact about £20 a square meter (you can buy Indianian Stone for that) and the saving is in the labour because they are quick to put down.

Nidagravel are a market leader in gravel stabilization cells.

Either of these options could be undertaken yourself it you can manage to level stuff out. You could get a ground worker to just do the clearance or get them to bring in the sub-base too.

An advantage with either of these options is that if you get good sub-base down you can always get the paving done in a few years time and these surfaces will come up easily.

Tani H-S thanked Garden Design Guru
  • PRO
    Eliza Gray Gardens
    5 years ago

Absolutely Garden Design Guru!

Just to add, I would avoid decking due to the maintenance and slipping issues. Plus it is a bit 'Ground Force'! Far better to wait.

I would also suggest keeping an eye on the level of the DPC if you are building up the paving - the paving needs to be a good 15cm below this to avoid it being compromised and causing damp issues internally.

If you are worried about the work damaging the extension, you can always protect it with some cheap pltboard while work is going on. It looks like you have good access to the side, so the interior should be protected.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks all!

I got my husband to smash all the concrete up yesterday to save on tool hire and labour costs, ha ha. I think we will extend to patio into the large square area we were having grass on now as it will be a lot more useable. Also means we are taking out the horrid concrete sloped path so it will be flat and have a nice step up to the top.

I know it will cost more in paving etc and prep so we are going to try and do as much of the digging out as possible to keep the labour costs down.

We will also not pave to the far left side of the extension as the doors all stack there so it’s not that useable. Will have soil and planters there instead up the new fence.

Will ask about the gravel mentioned as there is a new path that needs to be put in down the side where all the soil/water pipes had to be put in so compact gravel could work there as there are backfilling it in anyway as part of their quote.
  • PRO
    Garden Design Guru
    5 years ago

I would get some samples sent. Most landscapers should know what self-binding gravel is but there are rougher and finer types. www.mainlandaggregrates.co.uk is a supplier for the finer stuff suitable for a domestic space.

• hapiak
    5 years ago
    Loving your posts and questions as they are helping mine!
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Had another meeting with the landscaper yesterday.

The garden was sloping which is why the concrete also had to come out as if we had just put slabs on top, all the rain water would build up on top by the dpc level as no room to slope it away from the house.

So the plan is to dig out 1.5m in front of the house to lower that area and have the paving stones. Then, there will be a step up to that large weeded area which will be a raised patio area which saves us a ton of digging!! Ha ha
    The slope path will be dug down to the same level as the weed area there as well so we will, in effect, have a 3 tiered garden.

Went to look at slabs yesterday and although we wanted the black slate or grey limestone, the place was telling us to go for porcelain tiles instead - especially if we have dogs, as they are easy to maintain. But they are twice the price (rolls eyes)
    Any thoughts??
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

I have heard that porcelain tiles take ages to dry out as they are non porous. I would read some reviews.

• Sonia
    5 years ago
    There was an article on Houzz about sandstone vs porcelain tiles a few months ago which may be worth searching.
  • Sonia
    5 years ago
    It’s called A Beginners Guide to Porcelain Patios. The comments are very informative.
  • E D
    5 years ago

Tani, I like your 3 tiered garden plan.

Can‘t quite picture what your ‘slope path’ will look like, but I’m sure you’ll show us in due course. :)

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@forzaitalia - thank you. I checked the post out and there does seem to be a lot of mixed reviews -mostly regarding it keeping clean, but also how long it takes for the water run off!

Porcelain tiles I imagine are no different to the ones you have in your kitchen or bathroom and I guess the trick is to not get anything that is too textured as that might hold the dirt in easier.

We should have a gentle camber towards the drains to stop it from pooling but I would have to discuss that with the landscapers.

All seems to be twice the price of the slate/limestone though so it's a toss up between how much I am prepared to maintain the natural stone and chase the dogs off it (from going to the toilet on it!!) vs the cost, haha.

@ E D - the sloped path won't be there anymore as we have dug that down to the same level as the large square section so it will all be on the same level now :o)

• Sonia
    5 years ago
    Glad you found it informative Tani. Each surface has its drawbacks and positives. I love natural stone with all its issues, but my garden is rustic so the sandstone just seems right. However I do think porcelain looks good in a sleek modern garden. Good luck with your choice!
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thank you. Our garden is a bit of a mix though, ha ha. I want it to be a bit more contemporary to match the house, BUT, we have these HUGE feature stones all the way around as rockery... so it's hard to say what will look best.

Also the OH wants to start growing veg so I'm battling to get more contemporary looking raised boxes, ha ha.

• PRO
    Garden Design Guru
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Interesting how the thread is called

'cheapest landscaping/ patio options?'

but is now on to Porcelain.

Have you thought about Resin Bound Gravel. It looks contemporary but would still tie in with natural materials i.e. rocks

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Rockery stones look twee when spaced out- to fit with your contemporary aesthetic consider building a shoulder height wall or outdoor fireplace with the stone you have.

Consider acid cleaning and jetwashing them before use for a crisper look. Or even getting them cut or split for a less random shape.

I think raised beds for vegetables is a great idea but I think hubby needs to think about the effort and volume he wants to grow. Personally I would start with one bed, some salad leaves, herbs, and soft fruits. If he later wants to start a market garden growing things that can be stored or frozen such as potatoes, beans etc he should consider an allotment. Ps- saw one ingenious gardener who had bought an inexpensive raised bed but made it look more chunky by wrapping it in thick sheets of foil edged insulation and then painting it a contemporary colour.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Isn't that always the case.

You ask about something then people advise on other products and then you end up looking at something 3 times the price of what you were originally thinking of. It's the builder merchant's fault :o/

We had a price for resin bound gravel for our driveway etc which wasn't cheap - but thought it might look a bit to 'driveway' like for our patio area.

Still looking at alternatives but either way, we have to dig out the garden as we have clay soil and so it will need some good drainage.

Even looked at the composite decking to see if that worked out cheaper than slabs for outside the doors or on the patio area as less slippy and no maintenance and we could technically fit it outselves. Not sure it will be any cheaper though but it would look nice in a grey tone.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oo that's a good idea re insulation, @Jonathan! We have lots of that left over as well so it could work to give a more contemporary feel.

Yeah the stones are a bit ragged and do need a good jet wash. I don't mind some of them but might get rid of the ones at the bottom side where the new patio is going. Even a clean painted sleeper would look better.

I know it doesn't look massive from my pictures but the garden is quite a good size and we have loads of space for vertical planters (especially at the top where it gets regular sun)

We also have that huge concreted area around the side of the house which is massive and not used for anything. We thought of cutting the borders out back to soil and having loads of veg/fruit growing there for anything that doesn't need full sun all day (some of it is shaded so will have to see what will work).

There are only two of us but my guinea pigs eat a load of veg so we only need to grow the essentials.

• PRO
    Garden Design Guru
    5 years ago

Composite decking is not a cheap solution. Also it's very important what you set it as that frame will be the thing which stays damp longest and therefore potentially fails first. Ideally decking should only be raised so that it gets air circulation.

The thing with budgets is that some clients really do have a 'fixed' budget, so one doesn't want to spend a lot of time on materials which ruled out on cost. Other clients have formed their idea of a budget based on hoping to get away with not spending more than 'X' but they have ways and means of widening the budget for a better result.

The trick is working out what represents value for money, not just in terms of how long things last but also in what satisfaction something will give to particular client.

Whereabouts in the country are you? In the South of England I have a contractor who is very reasonable for Resin Bound Gravel.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for the images of the stones - I will definitely ask the landscaper about them and do a bit of research. We could mix it up a bit ie slabs outside the doors and cheaper material on the patio area.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @garden guru .. I’m in the North West.

Don’t have a set budget really as it’s an extra cost over what we hadn’t intended to spend. We know we could go all out but we have so many more things to pay for ie we have no front wall/fencing and the garden drive gate is falling to pieces. So trying to work out the best compromise that would look nice but not be too expensive to do.

Think we originally thought they would just concrete outside the doors and we would put something on it in the future, but due to the height, it wouldn’t have been possible to do that. Also they dug out soil to extend so half of it is just a clay muddy mess now. LOL
  • Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    As I mentioned, I’m going for the 20mm porcelain tiles with this adjustable support system, you can run stuff below it (available in different heights and no need to slope as the gaps aren’t filled, I’m going for 2mm gaps with a mix of 120x60 and 60x60 tiles hopefully, be able t9 cover all my external drains as well :-) easily lifted and laid and replaced if one get broken
  • Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    Sorry a pic of one of the systems
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago

Some ideas

Salcombe House, Leeds · More Info

Mortlake Road, Kew · More Info

Minimal urban living · More Info

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    That looks great @Beano.
    Does it work with slate as well or just porcelain because of the size and clean cut lines?

Thank you @CeleryGirl ! Will have a good look at the images :0)
  • Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    Hi tani :-) the system will works with any tile as long as it has a rectified edge and is 20mm thick for strength! Tbh they are an added extra but the thought of being able to lift and lay them where ever I liked really appealed to me, plus the extra for the system I can save in labour and do it myself! Pretty easy if your anyway good with your hands and have a good diamond cutting blade.
  • PRO
    The London Tile Co.
    5 years ago

A raised system like the Eterno Ivica adjustable pedestals or PorcelQuick fixed cement pedestals and porcelain paving could work, as suggested above.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I only have soil left now and no concrete so probably can’t do the raised system now. Could work for the top of our garden though on the big concrete slab so will definitely save the idea! :0)
  • PRO
    The London Tile Co.
    5 years ago

The PorcelQuick system goes onto an MOT type 1 base so could be an option, check out some information on our site here https://www.londontile.co.uk/category/porcelquick

Porcelain Paving Installed on PorcelQuick Adpeds · More Info

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ok, interesting. Thank you!
  • KXD
    last year

Thanks to your post Tani H-S and to Garden Design guru’s recommendation of resin bound gravel, I am considering this for my patio instead of the other options available. Thank you All!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.