leandamay

What to do with a mustard sofa?!

leandamay
9 years ago
My partner and I have just bought our first house, and for that first house we've just bought our first sofa. On first inspection we thought it was green, had loads of design ideas, but went into a different store and it's actually mustard. We went ahead and bought it because we still LOVE it, but I'm not sure how to design the rest of the living room now. I love mustard and grey, but our living room doesn't get a lot of natural light so I'm worried that it'll look too dark. Any ideas of what we can do?

Comments (50)

• Cathy
    9 years ago
    I searched "mustard sofa" on Houzz's website, lots of design ideas there. I would tend to add blue or red, depending on what colors you have in the rest of the house.
  • PRO
    Fresh Look Design
    9 years ago
    What kind of colors do you like to be around?
    Also could you submit some pictures of the room it is in?
  • Related Discussions

mustard sofa with eggplant/purple pillows???

Q

Comments (8)
    Great Anita. It's a bold colour choice :) looks like it's going to be a very contemporary space so I would keep everything light and fresh. You could consider working with an interior designer for your space. It would help to look at the layout and lighting which are tricky to get right. It sounds like you have majority of the elements sorted so it's only a few little bits that it would be great to get right and working for you and the space.
    ...See More

Mustard wallpaper ideas

Q

Comments (3)
    I think it would be very good, just do one feature wall. Get the wall art and accent pillows in mustard colour.
    ...See More

What to do with sofas in new house

Q

Comments (10)
    That could work... The paint in chic shadow (Dulux, I can't remember at all whether its water based or oil based.) Maybe it'll come out? Sorry I'm not very knowledgeable but you should see a wee strip of grey at the top of the back. Ta!
    ...See More

Teal sofa, Mustard Arm Chair, Teal(ish) Accent Wall?

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks for the advice @Juliet Docherty & @sandrasal I haven't bought the sofa yet but think this is the style I'd like. The room has 2 large windows so gets a fair bit of natural light in. Not as much as @sandrasal but think its sufficient to call it a well lit room. Originally i was thinking the 'Dulux One Coat - Teal Tension - Simply Refresh Feature Wall Paint' below but maybe a lighter, duller version of this would be sufficient and let the sofa be excentuated. https://www.wickes.co.uk/Dulux-One-Coat---Teal-Tension---Simply-Refresh-Feature-Wall-Paint-1-25L/p/236892 What's your thoughts on the mustard arm chair? I think it could look amazing contrasting the sofa? Again, thanks for the help.
    ...See More
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 years ago
    I would kill to have that sofa
    leandamay thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 years ago
    I have mustard and I use burgundy purple and in the summer I use teal
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    olive green, brown, and orange. great sofa!
  • janbhan
    9 years ago
    That's a nice sofa you have. You could have lots of cream (not white, too hard) and I'd go for a Moroccan rug because they have lots of colour, including mustardy yellows. You can pick up the rug colours for cushions according to the time of year, cooler for summer and warmer and richer colours like burnt orange or a rich purple. or you could go for simple creams and greys and spark it up with teal accents, but this might be a bit cold-looking. I think I'd play with colour swatches first, cloth, pages from magazines, paint swatches, and see what looks good. I'd draw the line at painting the walls grey, though, because grey steals light and you say the room is dark. Stay with a warm cream or magnolia to give warmth and brightness.
    leandamay thanked janbhan
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    9 years ago
    That's a beautiful color for a sofa. You may still go with a lighter tone of grey for throw pillows and add table lamps with a silver finish.
    www.otm1designs.com
    leandamay thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • smo123
    9 years ago
    I love it. I would keep the room in warm tones. Browns, burn orange
  • smo123
    9 years ago
    Oops, burnt orange, deep red. Good luck, you have lots of options.
    leandamay thanked smo123
  • feeny
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I think your instinct to use gray is excellent as it is a great color with mustard. Just keep the grays light, using the darker charcoals as accents, and you can add off white too.
    Palmer Pointe Road Residence 2 Lower-Level Family Room · More Info

Newport · More Info
  • Chem K
    9 years ago
    Classic white walls can never go wrong. Dress your space up with gray accents in furnishings, accessories and pillows.
    Some ideas to inspire you. Remember to repeat mustard accents in the neighbouring rooms.
    Smith Ridge III · More Info

La Jolla Townhome · More Info

Elegant Living Space · More Info

Gold Dining Room · More Info
    leandamay thanked Chem K
  • Chem K
    9 years ago
    Some fun pillows to help you get started. Mustards paired with grays, whites, browns and pale blues. Different pillows warm up or cool down the space whether contemporary or traditional
    DwellStudio Batavia Citrine Pillow · More Info

Brown & Yellow Modern Floral Custom Throw Pillow · More Info

2013 Designer Collection · More Info

Modern Decorative Pillows · More Info
  • PRO
    Warner Decor
    9 years ago
    leandamay thanked Warner Decor
  • janbhan
    9 years ago
    It's not a well-lit room. I would avoid grey on the walls and use an off-white, like magnolia or cream which will reflect the available light rather than absorb it. Unless you temper grey with lots of warm colours it can look cold and dingy as well.
  • leandamay
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you, you've all given me so great ideas, I really appreciate the time you have taken to respond. Here is a picture of the room.....we haven't yet moved in so it'll all very much in the planning stages for us.
  • leandamay
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I also really like this Orla Kiely wallpaper but I'm not sure it'll be a bit too much?
  • PRO
    Fresh Look Design
    9 years ago
    I know we're talking about your living room, but I just wanted to show you how I used these colors in a bedroom.
  • PRO
    Fresh Look Design
    9 years ago
    Sorry here is the other side of the room.
  • kiturah
    9 years ago
    Pillows tie all together. Mustard, grey and any other intense color be it indigo, red, purple, orange or green would balance together, and allow you to choose other furniture in a variety or colors, depending on what you like. Tie together with pillows, art work, draperies that you like.
  • PRO
    Creative Home Staging
    9 years ago
    I think that if you like the yellow/grey combination you should go for it. You could paint the walls a light gray than tie it all together with some of the great pillow options shown above.
    Great sofa!
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    There are over 53,000 mustard sofas on houzz. Who knew? Add mustard walls and chairs and throws, and there are probably a gazillion!
    La Jolla Townhome · More Info

Vibrant Family Room - Grace Home Design · More Info

Palmer Pointe Road Residence 2 Lower-Level Family Room · More Info

Fisher Street Residence · More Info
  • janbhan
    9 years ago
    You might put this on one wall, but I suspect you might get tired of it. Everything else would have to be pretty plain. But the colour palette is great, why don't you use these colours? I'd still keep the walls light, maybe a very pale mustard, and use the other colours to add zing.
  • PRO
    ExclusiveMod Furniture
    9 years ago
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique's ideas were just what i was thinking when i read the dilemma!
  • PRO
    UpStaging Interiors
    9 years ago
    The room colour needs to be changed for the sofa. So many great options for yellow. What did you end up with?
  • PRO
    Studio 3 kitchens
    9 years ago
    Hi Leandamay, with the room subject to little natural light I would suggest keeping your wall and ceiling relatively light maybe Farrow & Ball Blackened 2011 on the ceiling and either Dimpse 277 on the wall with Pavilion Grey 242 as a feature wall. I would keep architrave and skirting gloss white and possibly look at a dark wood flooring. You can then accessorize and dress the room with teals, burgundies for scatter cushions/throws lamp shades etc and mustard/yellow as harmonious colours for drapes and artwork.
  • PRO
    Daman of Witham
    9 years ago
    We would suggest keeping the room very bright, whites and light greys and have mustard or blue cushions, lamps etc the break it up. The white will reflect the light and give the illusion of space, while the blues & greys will compliment the sofa. As for furniture We would maybe suggest a grey wood effect. Have a look on our projects we have a couple of examples.
  • PRO
    Spotdeco
    9 years ago
    Something along these lines looks like it would be a good fit for your room -- wooden floors look great with mustard and I love the green, though it could even be a shade lighter
  • PRO
    Davies Wallpapers Ltd
    9 years ago
    Love the sofa! If you're into retro designs take a look at Sanderson's 1950s collection - they have several designs that incorporate a mustard yellow - some with greys and blues and some with much bolder patterns and colours!
    http://www.houzz.co.uk/projects/637225
  • leandamay
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Help needed again!!! We chose a wallpaper but then bought curtains that don't really match. We've decided Ee like the curtains more so need some suggestions for wallpaper to go! Must be available in the UK and ideally not too expensive, we can't afford designer wallpaper! Please help! x
  • leandamay
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    By the way, the wallpaper isn't for that wall, it's for the feature wall behind the sofa.
  • janbhan
    9 years ago
    Your sitting room has become too monochrome, it really needs some colour, to lift it. can we see the wallpaper? Do you have choices?
  • PRO
    Fresh Look Design
    9 years ago
    How do you want the room to feel and what kind of prints do you like? Could you send a close-up of the drapery material? What other colors do you like?
  • leandamay
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    There's definitely not a pink undertone. Please consider previous comments about the room being very dark.
  • janbhan
    9 years ago
    I liked one of the prints shown by Davies wallpapers, the blue and mustard on white. I agree, the wallpaper you have picked is going to look very bland, you need more of an accent colour. Just go back and have a look. If you have the other walls white too it will look very cheerful.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Working with color from a monitor is frustrating because colors don't always render true. What I can see on my monitor, though, is that the sofa blends into the wall which appears to be, if not pinkish, at least a warm neutral.

This may be a result of the lighting, but it still needs to be addressed. Perhaps there is a wall color that will work better in your light. In any case, if you want to pop that mustard color, its backdrop should be cool, not warm.

And if you really want to pop that mustard, consider its complement: purple.
  • PRO
    Fresh Look Design
    9 years ago
    Navy draperies and cushions would be very pretty and would be a nice change from all the grey and yellow rooms.
  • janbhan
    9 years ago
    Try turquoise and white - that plus mustard in combination for wallpaper, white walls, turquoise accessories. I love the idea of a purple wall but it's a dark colour, and can look awfully dull in artificial light. You don't want to change the curtains... so you need to play them up by putting them against white or a very pale mustard wall.
  • monicaopal5
    9 years ago
    A Mustard and Charcoal or grey tones on the walls always looks very sophisticated. If you use the principal of the colour wheel. ie your primary colour is yellow or in your case mustard then your complementary colour would be purples and plumbs, which you could then use as a accent colour. Have a look on houzz under Ochre you will find some fantastic ideas!
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 years ago
    Since you have committed to these curtains, why don't you check out HomeBase or Tesco for affordable wall coverings (I used to live in the UK and there are so many great wallpaper choices). Here's an example of a Graham and Brown paper from Homebase that would give the sofa wall the life it needs to pull everything together. You could paint the rest of the walls the "greige" stripe in the paper. Hope this helps. Good luck from Montreal!
  • Tani H-S
    9 years ago
    I know a lot of people have said about trying to keep it light, but actually a darker feature wall (warm rich grey paint if you can't afford wallpaper or want to keep it simple), along with a bunch of mirrors behind that sofa would bring it to life.

Having had small victorian homes with dark rooms and tried to keep everything pale, I realised that sometimes there is no point in fighting it! The yellow sofa (which I love - where did u get it from??) will really pop against a darker wall.

Otherwise for wallpaper - there are a few websites online that you can buy from in price order and by colour. I've also been looking and you might find a pale background with some striking pattern (darker) pattern would really stand out (rather than going as pale as your curtains)
  • PRO
    Roq2Edge Interior Design
    9 years ago
    I would add accents of bright fuschia cushions to lift this sofa (similar to Wild Orchid the Pantone colour of 2014) The bright pink will also give it some personality and zest.
  • monicaopal5
    9 years ago
    Dont forget that accessories can play a huge part, for example cushions can be so much more than people imagine. Not only can they be used to provide extra layers of texture to add to a room, but they are also a wonderful way to promote balance and harmony
  • PRO
    Inside Studio Ltd
    9 years ago
    The ideas are great on this! Love the sofa! I think you should remove the carpet and put a wooden floor, in a warm brown tone. It will bounce the light and make the room appear bigger and more spacious. Plus it will give you the option to play with a rug too. Please post your after pictures!
  • alitern
    9 years ago
    have grey accessories and walls if poss really compliment each other and also calming FAB sofa
  • monicaopal5
    9 years ago
    It would be lovely to see the finished result, especially with all the great advice you have had here. Look forward to seeing the end result.
  • Parimita Hura
    9 years ago
    I had one and I absolutely loved it. Yours is gorgeous too. There's a lot to play around with this color as a centrepiece. Brick red and Navy or teal look great with it. The walls should be white though in my opinion. Rug.. artwork. .. cushions..vase.. Lots of articles to incorporate the colours. I had this artwork-
  • Alison Oliver
    9 years ago
    love the sofa. My friend has just recently bought a very similar 2 seater and it goes fantastically with her existing furniture (a few choice retro G-plan pieces). I think light grey with teal blue accents would look fab.
  • HU-687507887
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have a sunflower color sofa same as a mustard color I bought it at Room's To Go. Designed by Cindy Crawford. I have white walls in every room in our small Florida home so it looks larger. I have light grey curtains on my kitchen sliding glass door that can be seen from the living room and I have white linen cotton curtains in our living room purchased on Amazon. The two sofa accent pillows have a geometric design of different colors that go well with mustard. I suggest white or light grey on walls and curtains and use accent pillows with one of the accent colors as a soft throw on the sofa. Keep it cool in a warm state. In a cold state then go with warm fall tones. Darker greys and browns.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.