mousemartin

design ideas for a very small house

mousemartin
9 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have recently bought a tiny house, that is in need of renovation. Please can anyone give me any hints on creating a maximum space in a minimum house! I need to convert the kitchen into bedroom en suit and open the rest up to the rafters and have an open kitchen/sittingroom. Studio style. I need advice on fitting everything you need in a house in a very small space±! Thank you

Comments (43)

• Sarah McColm
    9 years ago
    With such a tiny space, every inch is vital, so you need to know a lot about how you'd use your place. Love to cook? Or would you mostly use a microwave? Is a dishwasher a luxury you wouldn't want to lose? How much entertaining do you see yourself doing? And for how many people? Would you need a place for a guest to stay the night? How much do you need in the way of clothes storage? Would you need a dressing area for doing hair and makeup etc.? Hate heights? If not a raised bed is a great way to create extra room in a small place.

Are you completely gutting this and starting over? I'd totally love to throw a few designs out to help if so ;)

Oh, and if that is the case, is your side door in a convenient place to become the front door? That hallway is major wasted space when your dimensions are limited.
  • Vivienne Sung
    9 years ago
    I'd have to echo Sarah's suggestion on only having a single door. You could reclaim the "dead" hallway space.

I think the key here is going to be investing in some clever built in and freestanding furniture solutions that convert to different uses...

There are also some great tips in this set of Ideabooks http://www.houzz.co.uk/ideabooks/small-space-living

QQ: How high are the ceiling internally? Do you have a loft space for storage?
    mousemartin thanked Vivienne Sung
  • Related Discussions

Ideas for a very small garden

Q

Comments (19)
    Love Jens bike storage and it ticks another box since if you keep herbs up there they will get even more sun and easier not to forget to water them. Think you can create a little courtyard effect in your space and it will be fab. I can’t post pics but I’ve just saved a pic to my ideabook called DISCUSSION that shows an incredible simple “pergola” that would probable span the depth of your space. If you did this it would create something for the eye to look up to and take away focus from fence being close. And it would be something to attach solar lanterns to or hanging herb baskets or decorating bunting for birthday parties even. Plus you could train a climber up it without risking the climber taking over and blocking too much light as it might with a normal pergola. Anyhow just an idea!
    ...See More

Renovation - very ugly looking house and looking to update! Ideas??

Q

Comments (9)
    @Jonathan I agree the house does have potential. The reason for bringing the porch or entrance forward is currently when you enter the house the stairs are very close and I just want that space and more of an open feeling. I would like the arch shape entrance in this picture rather than the style of porch that it is currently. I’m hoping this can work. @Emily unfortunately that can’t be bought forward as a lot of other work is going to be carried out extending at the back. That bathroom will be made into an en-suite as it’s tiny and that will link to master bedroom. I am really liking the stone colour around the windows and arch and I’m thinking of that as an option, just wondering how to achieve this.
    ...See More

Very small box bedroom ideas

Q

Comments (10)
    I do think the current setup could be improved, limited use is being made of the underbed storage so perhaps raising the bed is a good idea. I've found a couple of examples where designers have tackled the same difficult. Here's an example of a high-sleeper in a small room where there is alot of storage in the stairs up to the bed. I don't know whether you have enough height to do something like this with a gaming area instead of the desk. Also this set up where there is alot of storage and seating space under the bed so a tv could be placed opposite.
    ...See More

Design ideas for low ceilings & small spaces for a sumptuous feel

Q

Comments (4)
    I would consider one of Little Greene's new warm pinks. 'Masquerade' is a lovely colour which seems to have some depth, looks warm and inviting but also cosy. I tested it in my Aunties light starved TV room in a Georgian house and it seems to glow. Might looks good in both natural and artificial light situations. Worth a test pot.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Angela Navarro Art
    9 years ago
    If you live somewhere were it gets very cold in winter you might be better off leaving the hallway, so your living and sleeping areas would stay away from the draft every time you open your front door. To make most of your soace, I suggest build floor to ceiling storage and since that would most likely be custom made I would suggest make a list of items you have, including appliances, books, clothes, shoes, pots and pans, food (how many cans, bags of whatever, bottles of whatever. Also, your cleaning materials, brooms, mops, vacuum cleaner... you get the gist. Get the storage designed to fit all that. Cutter takes space, physically and psychologically.
    mousemartin thanked Angela Navarro Art
  • PRO
    Angela Navarro Art
    9 years ago
    Ah, and pocket doors!
  • mousemartin
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you everyone.
    Yes the plan is to block that end door and use the corridor and make that area, bedroom en suit bathroom. So the bathroom becomes thin, to give more space in the bedroom. Where the bedroom is now, put a stable door in, as the view is strait down a stream.

The kitchen will be on the other side of the bedroom, L shaped, I think and open plan to siting/dining area.

The bathroom and bedroom is to have a ceiling on it. The rest open up to the roof. This will allow me to have an "apple" ladder up to the space above the bedroom which will be used for storage or or or a tiny weeny single bed space!

The kitchen or bathroom, could store washing machine/dryer and broom cupboard.

The kitchen will be important as I cook a lot, so i need the mod cons (not a microwave) cupboard space and work space.

I am obsessed by houzz, but need to find quirky cleaver ways of getting the most out of the tiny space...

ideas welcome!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    Looks like there might be room to have a raised bed space - what are the roof trusses like ? Is it worth opening upwards ?!
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Do you have photos of the space? Have you settled on a budget range? And have you checked to see what the local building codes will permit? The latter is very important- safety, ventilation, and sound construction.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Turn walls into storage, replacing them will built-in shelving/closets. Why don't you update us on the floor plan as you described the planned changes? Then we'll have more realistic input.
    Epu · More Info
    mousemartin thanked decoenthusiaste
  • mousemartin
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I have reliable builders, who know the regs and it is not listed and the trusses are fab, so i will be opening upwards!
  • PRO
    Anna Auzins Interiors Ltd.
    9 years ago
    With the limited space, it is also important to consider how you will use the outside; is there scope for a discreet (perhaps glass) entrance porch? Roof lights would bring in light as well to the main living area.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    You are going to have two bedrooms? And the one with the bathroom that can only be entered through the bedroom?
  • mousemartin
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    1 and a possible weeny loft bedroom. And yes bathroom entered through bedroom. Idea is to make it into luxury cottage for romantic couples!!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    It's not so romantic when a sulky teenager enters the bedroom for a wee in the middle of the night ! Maybe consider a small WC too !! That can be used during the day by guests or the other occupants !!!
  • mousemartin
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    very funny....no teenagers aloud! lets go for loft space then/dog bedroom!
  • mousemartin
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    very rough idea on re shaping the layout
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    Just checking - this is what you mean ? Closing the original front door and opening up the side instead to gain better views of the stream ?!
  • condomary
    9 years ago
    Have a look at this tiny house. I just read about it in Small Space Decorating magazine and found it online so your can look. 207 sqft + 110 sqft loft.
    http://www.viralnova.com/tiny-house-oregon/
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Is this going to be a holiday rental? If so, just make the current bedroom larger, close off the second door to expand the bathroom, and make a larger luxury shower in the bathroom.
  • condomary
    9 years ago
    Don't you need two means to egress? Looks like the windows only open at the top. If you close off one door, what is the second way to get out in an emergency?
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    I'm not an architect - but if I recall correctly - as long as at least one of the windows is big enough to escape through ( bedroom one preferably ) then I believe it's ok - best to check with your local council as there maybe further rules for holiday lets !
  • condomary
    9 years ago
    That is the requirement where I live One Plan. But the windows of the house don't look like they open enough to get out.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    Ah - I assume this is being posted on the USA version of Houzz too - it's posted on the UK version here !! And I can see that's it's a UK poster - so yes in the States and maybe in various other countries Condomary is totally correct - but in UK it's different ! Didn't realise that UK dilemmas go worldwide !!!
  • Fred S
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    And, even though I could tell it was UK (or not US) from the start, there is no indication of it anywhere. I even checked mousemartin's profile, but nothing.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    Actually it does bring up an important reminder - that whatever ideas and suggestions we read on Houzz can only be taken as an 'idea' and to always check with your local authority as to wether it could be applicable in your locality !!! ( NB I did say to check on my previous posting - as I would normally - but it's an vital thing to remember ! )
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Gardenweb, a much older site, has a rose growing forum where you have to specify what growing zone you are in- the zone is used as part of your screen name. Saves making a lot of climate-based recommendations that aren't appropriate. UK and US building codes are very different. Bye.
  • condomary
    9 years ago
    It appears the UK has quite strict egress rules

Egress Windows

Since 2002, there has been a requirement to have an escape window in all habitable rooms above ground floor. These are known as egress windows: the word egress is the opposite of access. Part B of the Building Regulations is specific about what constitutes an egress window:

Must have an openable area of not less than 0.33m²
    Neither the length or width of the window can be less the 450mm
    The opening must be within 1,100mm of the floor
    With a sloping roof, the distance between cill and eaves should be no more than 1,700mm

http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/advice/project-tips/building-regulations/fire-safety#sthash.w7EjwErZ.dpuf
  • Sarah McColm
    9 years ago
    On a new-build, in the UK, every bedroom must have an escapable window. I imagine building regs for extensive alterations will be similar. It goes without saying that these will need to be approved... major plumbing and structural reworking like this will need a building warrant.

I'm going to draw up some quirky plans for you in a bit mousemartin, even if they're wildly off they might throw up some ideas for you :)
  • mousemartin
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes, I am in the UK!
    Thanks for all the comments.
    I know about the fire regs! Where the bedroom is now, I am intending on putting double doors or a stable door where the window is.
    This little house is on an island. I could put a porch on the side door where the long side of the building is, and yes I am blocking the door at the end.
    What I am after is cleaver ideas of what to do inside in such a small space.
    I would rather have ideas on this please, as I know the builders will know what I can/can't do!
    Thanks
    Mouse! ( yes my name is mouse!)
  • Sarah McColm
    9 years ago
    Here's my first pop at it :D From north to south (as it is here):
    Raised seating area at the height of the current ceiling. Have a ladder up on the wall beside it and rails to stop tumbles ;) Have curtains attached that can be drawn if someone was sleeping up there.
    I've put a peninsula in the kitchen for a breakfast bar so people can eat at it - not sure if you want a dining area, but this would e sufficient if not.
    The sink should be fine on this side from a plumbing perspective - everywhere you would run the pipes is hidden.
    I've raised up the bed to 180cm - the standard height of a fridge - this means you'll have a lovely spacious kitchen, with plenty of storage. It also gives you an area for storing clothes under the bed. You could also put a curtain in front of the bed area, it could look quite romantic - then if you have a guest staying, they can access the toilet in the night without disturbing you too badly.
    Slightly higher is a small study area over the bathroom. This would also be accessed by a ladder and have railings - I'd suggest putting in a velux to light it.

So - this is just me throwing ideas on your plans - if you tell me what you do/don't like about them I could set my mind to mull it over more!
    Sarah
    P.S. You mean mouse is your given name??
    mousemartin thanked Sarah McColm
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Some sort of small sleeper sofa might work better than lofts. Depends much on your age or that of guests. Some might not appreciate the climb to the sleep accommodations.
    Conic Sofa Sleeper · More Info
  • kathleen MK
    9 years ago
    In the sketch on graph paper switch the bath and bedroom. You could make the plumbing more efficient with the sinks in the kitchen and bath back to back. Instead of a hallway it would just be an alcove off the kitchen where the bath and bedroom doors formed a corner. It would give more room to the bedroom and guest access to the bath without going through the bedroom. You could add a pocket door to the wall between the bath and bedroom for private access to the bath from the bedroom. With sleeping loft and sofa sleeper it could sleep a family of 6 or just a couple.
    mousemartin thanked kathleen MK
  • hambirg
    9 years ago
    Could you post some pics of the interior? The reason I ask is the building looks historical. You might be really limited to what you can and can't do. Seeing the interior would really help.
  • mousemartin
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks everyone. Like the swapping the side of the kitchen idea, with sink under the window! Also the bar and bed idea. Also like bedroom at Southend with bathroom next to kitchen.that could work.
    This little mouse house, is really for 1 person to live in or for a romantic getaway for a couple for a week end.
    I can't send photos of the inside,but think tiny only 10ft wide! It is old, but is not a listed building and everything inside are removable walls. So it a blank canvas. The roof will be insulated, but the cross beams will be on show.
    I want it to be a little magic hideaway, with cleaver storage ideas and space saving ideas.
    I plan to plank panel the new interior walls (New England style)
    This is a tiny house on a tiny island, so loving your input, I presume from the USA and UK??
    And yes my name is mouse! So I expect a mouse theme for the mouse house!
  • Julie Bennett-Pitts
    9 years ago
    I would put the bathroom at the back where the bedroom is intended and put a mezzanine bedroom above it. I would also get rid of all the walls for your original plan and have an open plan living space/ kitchen.
    mousemartin thanked Julie Bennett-Pitts
  • Sarah McColm
    9 years ago
    2nd go ;)
    This one doesn't have the sink under the window to simplify the plumbing. The bathroom position means you'll have to sacrifice some of the bedroom wall to hiding the waste pipe (surprisingly not too much of a problem).

I'd avoid putting anything necessary up high (you could use some of your precious space for a regs compliant staircase, but you'd have to really think about it to make it work.) If this is going to be a holiday rental you want it to appeal to as many people as possible.
    mousemartin thanked Sarah McColm
  • asmita16
    9 years ago
    yep i too would like work on it will try n send something ...?
    mousemartin thanked asmita16
  • mousemartin
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks again. I have the builder coming next week, so i will have a clearer idea of drainage etc! Still liked the idea of the sink under the window!
  • mousemartin
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Brilliant! I am a potter, so I thought I would put a mouse on the china!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    my grandmother had an oak coffee table with a mouse carved on the leg ... was a Robert Thompson piece - they are still going .. http://www.robertthompsons.co.uk/_shop/coffee-tables--stools/refectory-coffee-table/ there's all sorts - have see light fittings too at a UK Houzzer's house when We met up for a coffee ! they are lovely !!!
  • Sarah McColm
    9 years ago
    That table is too cute OnePlan! You're making me want some sort of subtle, quirky theme running through my house :)
  • PRO
    Iron Rose Home
    9 years ago
    hi, I agree that turning the kitchen into ensuite bedroom is a smart move, as the current layout means that you have to walk from the kitchen (with the meals) through the bathroom? Or maybe there's another access, but still open plan kitchen / sitting / dining room would work better. They often say, when buying furniture for a small space, choose the ones with built in storage (bed base with sliding drawers, puffs that open up, built in wardrobes if possible, etc.). Also when choosing tables, don't go for chunky pieces, but buy the glass ones, with thin legs, so they create the effect of bigger space. fix few mirros on the walls? Maybe large wall to floor mirror in one place (if you can stand them!). Plenty of shelving, tall, but slim units would work best. Also have you got a loft in the house? you can keep some of the stuff there. Last port of call is always just to rent a storage unit (you can find surprisingly cheap ones these days), and store the stuff you don't use every day.
    Lovely house and location btw!
    mousemartin thanked Iron Rose Home
  • fedella
    9 years ago
    Sounds a wonderful project .
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.