jessa61

Please help me with my bedroom

jessa61
30 July, 2014
So I received so much amazing help with my lounge, I thought if try next with my bedroom. Basically I need some help with curtain, duvet, throw and cushion colours. Plus any other suggestions/improvements anyone recommends. I can't post any actual pictures of the room as the builders are currently there so I've added the first picture to show the room layout. Essentially three walls are white and I'm adding a feature wall in the wallpaper picture I've added. I've also added a picture of the bed and of the chest of drawers I am thinking of buying. I haven't bought these things yet (except the bed) so if people think the chest of drawers, for example, wouldn't match the bed or wallpaper please let me know.
Currently the colour scheme is white and grey but I think the room will definitely need another colour, maybe sage green?'and so this is where I need all your help as I really don't know if I should have the curtains, duvet etc in the same colours or different, or even if the green would clash? I also don't really know what style I'm going for so I don't know what shape side tables I should be looking for? Maybe french style, I don't know.
Sorry for the long message and thank you all in advance for your help :)

• jessa61
    That's pretty but do you think a little to similar to duck egg? Sorry
  • mefor
    With maybe a deeper purple for a stronger accent in accessories
    jessa61 thanked mefor
  • jessegee
    You mentioned sage green, do you like any of these?
    The furniture and wall paper are lovely.
    jessa61 thanked jessegee
  • mefor
    You think the purple is too close to duck egg?
    jessa61 thanked mefor
  • jessa61
    That's pretty
  • jessa61
    I love the green and the second purple, I worry the first purple might be too close to duck egg
  • jessa61 thanked mefor
  • mefor
    That's a duck egg, with the two purples
    jessa61 thanked mefor
  • shelleyuk
    I'm not sure the colours are coming out mefor. On my ipad they don't look very different. The purples are coming out as very blue for me,
    jessa61 thanked shelleyuk
  • mefor
    That's so weird. On my screen they're really different. :(
    jessa61 thanked mefor
  • shelleyuk
    I get greyish light blue, slightly greener light blue and a greyish navy. No purple. Possibly what the OP is seeing too.

Of course it could be my ipad settings!
    jessa61 thanked shelleyuk
  • jessegee
    just seen this on TK Maxx website, and google, are the colours similar mefor?
    jessa61 thanked jessegee
  • jessa61 thanked jessegee
  • mefor
    What a shame, they're such pretty colors.
    One is a light purple gray
    The other is a darker gray purple and the other is dulux duck egg.
    jessa61 thanked mefor
  • Sarah McColm
    If there's a moratorium on blue at the opposite, then at the quarters we have the sage green you were talking of, and a heather.
    Saying that, I think if you work with the darkest shades of the bed like I've done in my mood board with the curtains, rugs and accessories, then you will have no problems with the room being a wash-out.
    Loads of options! ;)
    jessa61 thanked Sarah McColm
  • mefor
    Yes. Jesse I think so, can't get link to load. That's quite similar to the light one. A very calm pale purple wash.
    jessa61 thanked mefor
  • jessa61
    Lots of options now thank you so much everyone :) I'm thinking either the purple or the sage green as an accent
  • jessa61
    Should i use grey curtains or in one of the accent colours!
  • Sarah McColm
    That's entirely up to you jessa! the 60-30-10 rule that OnePlan was talking about earlier doesn't have any rules on which colour should be at each percentage. Curtains would be a good way to use it for the 30%, or just keep it to cushions and ornaments for the 10%.
    Glad we're being helpful! :D
    jessa61 thanked Sarah McColm
  • jessa61
    Thank you! I'm not very good with visualising so it's nice to have everyone's help
  • jessegee
    did a room recently , with laura ashley wallpaper, the grey blue lavender hues, teamed with beiges are so beautiful in real life, keep it light, gentle , warm, pretty, kind, calm, contented. : ))
    jessa61 thanked jessegee
  • jessa61
    That sounds so pretty. I don't suppose you have a picture I could see please? If not what did you do in what colours? Sorry I just fine getting everything it look cohesive but not matchy matchy so hard
  • jessegee
    sure, its my mothers room, she is 82 so it had to incorporate her own things too. Your wallpaper will make the room a reverse but similar. It feels lovelier in real life than in the photo.
    Your colours choices are even more modern, and perhaps more chic, gorgeous.

http://www.houzz.co.uk/ideabooks/24047490/thumbs/Mums-updated-living-room---2013
    jessa61 thanked jessegee
  • jessa61
    You've done such a good job, love the colours and thank you for sharing
  • Sarah McColm
    I've just done a mood board with purple curtains as you said you find it hard to visualise :)
    Again, everything is UK highstreet prices :) (Just ask if a green one would be helpful - I love vicariously shopping in my spare time ;) ). HTH xxx
    jessa61 thanked Sarah McColm
  • jessa61
    That's so pretty thank you! :)
  • jessegee
    I think its worth remembering, as the clever ladies here have taught me, that accessories can be a colour to add to the room. Beautiful glass perfume bottles, a mirror , vase or photo frame, watercolour, or cushion.
    Keeping to the colour scheme at the top will be restful, and pretty lighting will give it a glow.
    Have you got bedside lighting?
    cross post, the lavender is lovely !
    jessa61 thanked jessegee
  • jessa61
    That's definitely something to remember. Not bedside lighting no, but the lighting in the room is dimmer spotlights in white light
  • decor178
    what colour is your wardrobe? I have very similar colours in my bedroom - my bed is a fudge/mink colour and I have mirrored bedside tables and a mirrored dressing table.
    jessa61 thanked decor178
  • jessa61
    The cupboards are white as is each wall bar the one where the bed is which will be the wallpaper
  • decor178
    I have wallpaper too on the same wall. I think your bedroom is going to look beautiful :)
    I'm planning on painting my Ikea Malm wardrobe as I hate the oak colour but not sure yet which colour to paint it.
  • jessa61
    Aw thank you for saying that, I really hope so. We'll if it helps I was torn between painting a soft grey or just traditional white
  • decor178
    I definitely don't want to paint it just plain white. I want it to look different. I would love to paint it a pale grey but I don't think it will go with my bed and curtains. My curtains are an antique gold well that what the name is but I think it's more a mink colour so a similar shade to my bed.
    jessa61 thanked decor178
  • Sarah McColm
    Sorry to butt in again ;) But if you really want that paper on only one wall then something to consider is matching the colour of paint to the background of the paper - it'd be very relaxing. See OnePlans inspiration photo above :)
    jessa61 thanked Sarah McColm
  • jessa61
    Nooooo you're not butting in at all, I need all the help I can get, so you mean matching the other three walls to the wallpaper? And ha78 your room sounds so pretty but unfortunately I can't offer any suggestions but good luck!
  • Sarah McColm
    Yeah, white or grey from the wallpaper would be good - but the most relaxing would be to use the background colour :)
    jessa61 thanked Sarah McColm
  • decor178
    Thank you Jessa61 :)
  • jessa61
    Would these side tables go with everything else in the room?
  • leelee
    The chest doesn't work with the wallpaper. Chest is too Shaker looking and plain to compliment the wallpaper or the headboard.
    jessa61 thanked leelee
  • leelee
    I mean the large chest from your original post. The mirrored side tables are nice but again they don't work with the chest which is just too plain and squared to go with the other furniture.
    jessa61 thanked leelee
  • jessa61
    If I change the chest of drawers to something else will the rest be okay? Thank you for helping me
  • jessa61
    Or should I keep the chest of drawers and change the bedside tables?
  • Sarah McColm
    @leelee, I'm not really getting that the chest is too plain? I don't know much about furniture styles, but it looks very similar to this Laura Ashley piece:
    http://mto.lauraashley.com/uk/furniture/cabinet/3560209/confirmation/rosalind-dove-grey-wide-chest-of-drawers?tmcampid=152&tmad=c&tmplaceref=3560209&source={ifpe:1}{ifpla:2}&gclid=CjwKEAjw0ueeBRCmhozc-_DRrlUSJABihBEEvszZKmGUmvz3EgAtZTM6S9YW3HdtlJ8DIns2zpfREhoCMNnw_wcB
    And if Laura Ashley sell it, surely it's the epitome of country casual? ;)
    Although if you're looking for something else, I saw this one on sale - it's gorgeous :)
    http://mto.lauraashley.com/uk/furniture/cabinet/3517494/confirmation/dahlia-chest-of-4-drawers?tmcampid=152&tmad=c&tmplaceref=3517494&source={ifpe:1}{ifpla:2}&gclid=CjwKEAjw0ueeBRCmhozc-_DRrlUSJABihBEEPPbuzdPPbzjEdRoHZCP2oy48F72QtEqvmPUoEpKr2BoCsCzw_wcB
    jessa61 thanked Sarah McColm
  • leelee
    Some examples of dressers that work better with bed and wallpaper.
    jessa61 thanked leelee
  • jessa61
    I liked the ones Sarah suggested and the shapes but not the colours (sorry) that leelee suggested. Thank you both. Maybe the best thing is to first place the bed, wallpaper and curtains and then leave the dresser and side tables until last ?
  • leelee
    Hi jessa61, I wasn't suggusting the colors above for the dresser but simply the style that would work better with your wallpaper.
    jessa61 thanked leelee
  • Janet
    My first thought is that the bed looks a little close to the furniture across from the foot of it. I might try the bed on the window wall and instead of the piece on the wall that has the door, eliminate it and get two bedside table pieces with storage to accommodate whatever you were going to store in the piece across from the foot of the bed in your plan. I like beige and gray schemes in the bedroom too, and find some live green plants add a perfect spot of color, or perhaps a kind of acid green silk texture throw pillow. My suggestion is to browse Houzz photos and save the color schemes that you really love! Adding something sparkly will pep up a design that you think is too monochromatic as well - some silver or crystal bling? I added some bling-y chandeliers on either side of the bed in one of my bedrooms, which is fairly monochromatic in beige and gray tones. Some of the throw pillows also have a silvery touch in them.
    jessa61 thanked Janet
  • Yordan Deliradev
    Hi Sarah,

I was wondering what software you are using to create the visuals of how the room could look like using the various elements (wallpaper, carpet, curtains etc.)?

Thanks
  • LucyCooke DesignJuiceBlog
    Hi Sarah...you've had loads of feedback...i haven't read all of it so sorry if i'm repeating what has already been said. You've definitely had a lot of good advice already.
    My quick advice would be not to add another colour i.e sage green, it will look too fussy and busy with the wallpaper as well, because the print of that is busy.
    I would also say its fun to play with scale a bit, you could do this here by adding a large oversized mirror for example.
    Ive recently written a blog post about the first 7 things you need to know and be aware about when designing to make the whole process easier,. https://designjuiceblog.wordpress.com/
  • sophiegolding1

hi I know this post was a while a go. But I have the same bed and am struggling with ideas. Just wondering if the poster minds posting the end result would be really helpful for me. Thank you. X