winterfloods

Eat-in kitchen - 3 options

winterfloods
9 years ago
To achieve an eat-in kitchen we have 3 options.
1) Knock through into our formal dining room. Less favoured as the dining room is still used as such; it would be offset; I'd lose valuable worktop space in the kitchen; it wouldn't get me anymore working are in the kitchen; is technically more problematic.
2) knock through into the study. Pros, would be an easy building job; would be a lovely light room. Cons, downstairs loo is in the way and we would lose the study which is a no-no.
3) add single-storey extension onto the side of the house BUT there isn't much space. We could resite the study and loo in there but the flow isn't good.

If we go down the small extension route we could address another issue with the house which is that we nearly always enter the house via a side-door into the utility room, which is between the kitchen and a rear sitting room. You then go through into the kitchen (which then becomes a dumping area). The square kitchen has 2 doors, diagonally opposite one another and a square central island. It is a real bottleneck and drives me mad when people get in my way.

I'm not sure where to start. Any advice welcome. Thank you.

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.