missmjbs

Need help for my lounge room!!

missmjbs
9 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

What can I do with this WALL in my lounge? PLEASE IGNORE THE LAMPS!!! I know they are wrong for this space! Having not long moved in I am just using what I had until I get sorted! And the cushions are not staying either. I am anticipating maybe painting/papering this wall but there is an air vent on the top left........ Would 2 taller lamps either side of the fire work? And what- if anything (pictures?) - could go on the walls here? Thanks in advance for any advice!! Also looking for coffee table if anyone can offer inspiration - but there is a lot of other space in this room which also requires furniture so not sure if I would get 'matching' pieces. But need to concentrate on this wall first!

Comments (46)

• PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I wonder if there's anything you fancy in here - as it's a super wall - maybe some tiger stripes ? or this wood !

http://www.jwwalls.com/collections/wood-and-walls/tree-strips
    missmjbs thanked OnePlan
  • missmjbs
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    wow these are amazing! How would it work with the air vent though? If I could picture what my room would look like with one of these I could go for it - but not sure I am brave enough or have a good enough eye for design to know if it would look right.....
  • Related Discussions

I need help with flooring and decor ideas for my through lounge

Q

Comments (12)
    houssaon I sat with a piece of it on my floor this morning and I screamed to myself 'what am I doing , Ive got rid of an axminster for this ! ' so I went to the shop and have found a neutral brown carpet 80% wool which suits a large rug I have and should bring out the colours in my new suite , I am glad I took the rug with me because the small chair is a near match to the suite, and the rug/ chair look nice together . I was tired and stressed late last night having taken up my old carpet last night in 1 piece in case I ever thought about putting it back ! everything now happens Thursdaywhen the carpet is fit and the dining suite and lounge suite is installed Ill upload. youve asked about my style ? Im going for the stressed look ! no I want a classy look but also minimalistic due to it not being a big through lounge thanks for your comments to date ps anyone want an axminster !
    ...See More

NEED HELP FOR MY LOUNGE AND DINING ROOMS

Q

Comments (2)
    Pictures of the room will help us help you
    ...See More

Need help with my Lounge and Dining Room

Q

Comments (16)
    hi ! lining up the sofa to a feature such as a fire place is a good start... but if moving the door complicates issues then maybe it might be easier to move the fireplace ? As it looks like its not got one at the moment ? so you'd be putting it in anyway ? personally i like a pair of chairs and a decent height table betweeen them in a bay ... somewhere to play chess etc ... its tricky to comment more without room sizes ... if the fire you are thinking of is a faux one, I'd suggest maybe consider sofa on existing tv wall, and tv/ fireplace on internal wall might offer up another option ? that way you could maybe have seating on the wall between dining and lounge and the external wall, and bay ? its quite nice to see seating when you walk in a room, (with pics above ) and then get the bonus of a feature like a fireplace when you are in there ! ...changing the internal doors to glazed might give a bit more light into hallway which might be nice ! if current are fire doors though - then keep as they are! ( if it has ground floor and more than one upstairs level they will / should be fire doors )
    ...See More

Need help to bring colour into my lounge.

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi. Have you ever considered a real interesting eye catching piece of art work to really brighten up an area, I think a select piece of art would really make the space stand out, add interest, colour, texture and add a great talking point to the room.... Please check out my website if you like the idea and please get in contact, commission work is also welcomed so if you like a particular style I can do in a select colour palette and size as an original piece…..I’m also able to produce all original paintings in high end print format, in any size same or smaller than the original. (all within proportions to the original so not to cause distortion) All prints shown are Giclee prints onto soft textured fine art media. All prints come with a white border these can be made to measure too. So lots of options, www.guigsart.co.uk
    ...See More
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    re the vent - just cut around it - it's put up like wallpaper ... re colours ... hummm .. I thought tiger because of your cushions and also thought it would hide your TV and promote your fireplace - as at the moment they are fighting each other ... another way to resove that might be to paint a black stripe to encompass the TV and probably about 8" either side - from floor to ceiling - this will hide your TV and make the fireplace stand out !
    missmjbs thanked OnePlan
  • Luciana
    9 years ago
    Great advice from Karen (OnePlan)!

I think your main problem is that you have a flat wall and there's no difference in the height of your accessories and just taller lamps won't improve it. Also, although symmetry is great in some instances, there are other times when a bit of unevenness can work wonders.

If you want and can afford it, your best bet would be some built-in cabinets/ shelves that would provide more storage and define the space, like this:
    Roehampton Development · More Info

Or just suspended shelves and cabinets, like this:
    Icon Riverside Development · More Info

Or you could buy some furniture (last photo) - I like the prices vs quality you get in this shop: http://www.furnitureinfashion.net/living-room-collections-c-218_219.html. Also, they have great coffee tables, although I think side tables or some nest of tables would work better for your space; the coffee table would get in the way.

Lastly, until you decide, the easiest would be to define the wall simply by painting the middle in a different colour:
    Knight Frank LTD · More Info

Or, as Karen suggested, some wallpaper or wall mural:
    Living Room · More Info
    missmjbs thanked Luciana
  • missmjbs
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oneplan- I can't find the tiger print on your website? Would strips work or full wall?
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    some of the mural selling websites let you up upload a pic to see what it would look like - so best advice would be to play about and see what makes you smile !!
  • missmjbs
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    If I were to paint first - would I paint either side of the tv and fireplace , or a panel in middle up through the tv and fireplace - and what colour would work? It is a tricky room - I have no other room in which to house a tv, (ideally I'd prefer not to have one in here at all , but that isn't an option) and that is the only wall for both tv and fireplace as the other wall reflects the window. I feel upset and frustrated with the space because I can't work out what to do with it, and can't afford to make a mistake.I wonder if paying an interior designer to come and look and source whatever I need is a good idea.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    Take some pics of the rest of the room and add a sketch plan and I will look if I can spot a solution ...
    missmjbs thanked OnePlan
  • PRO
    Falchi Interiors
    9 years ago
    Don't worry about this wall, we see so many people with the very same problem! You have a lovely large room with beautiful windows that flood in light! There are many possibilities for this space, built in shelving units, hidden storage or a simple 'feature' wall! Often people get overwhelmed by 'bare' space, it can be just as difficult to design a massive space as it is to design a tiny space! Have a look on our website and Pinterest page for more help or send us an email if you are interested in employing an interior designer to do the work for you! Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
    missmjbs thanked Falchi Interiors
  • missmjbs
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh,Thank you very much OnePlan - you don't happen to be near East Midlands do you? I really like the colour of my sofas and can't really afford to change them and I also like my blinds and curtains. The paint is just neutral for a blank canvas for now. There isn't any other furniture in the room save an old sideboard from my old house which is just there to 'make do' and I hope replace. I don't even have cushions for my sofas yet! The sofas are large 4 seaters and one does fit across the room ie. opposite the fire.
  • missmjbs
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    with dimensions!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    Just had a quick look at it - I have 4 seaters too - so I set them in the drawing, at same size as mine 8' x 3' .... This might work better for the layout - adding a chair, sofa table and large coffee table - I threw some tall plants in - purely because I wanted to see if they would work they could be plants or lamps - I'm only using basic software - not my proper design software - as just wanted to give you a quick idea !
    missmjbs thanked OnePlan
  • missmjbs
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    oh Oneplan - thank you so very much - how very kind of you - I had not thought of that arrangement as wasn't sure about walking into the back of a sofa - but it looks good here! Can I ask your advice on how to make the wall hanging fireplace seem stronger than the tv?
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    your welcome ! i think the black stripe will probably be the most simplistic suggestion - could be paint or wall paper even something that will make the TV blend away and let the fire place stand out ! if you wanted it to look like it's a chimney breast you could use shaded paint techniques to give that impression or use real beading ... alternatively you could always build a faux chimney with cabinet doors to conceal the TV ? would mean moving the fire though !
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    What a stunning room Missmjbs. I have a similar wall in my (MUCH smaller) living room and I think I have painted it every colour under the sun in the years we've been here UNTIL I found this fabulous metallic grasscloth wallpaper. It added such a lot of texture and interest to the flat boring wall that I loved instantly. I haven't got a good photo of it apart from last year's Christmas decor. I entered a Christmas tree decorating contest to win a ridiculously expensive flocked tree, hence the styled photos.
    missmjbs thanked Monica
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    This photo might be better. The wallpaper is by Harlequin and if you want to privately message me your address I can add a sample of it in the post for you, as I am yet to find a good photo to describe how amazing this is in real life.
    http://www.janeclayton.co.uk/product/oralia/48152?gclid=CKa1___9tsACFY_ItAod9BsApA
    missmjbs thanked Monica
  • sauscats
    9 years ago
    Your glasscloth wallpaper is stunning!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    lovely idea Monica !!!
  • missmjbs
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Love the wallpaper - errr can't work out how to message.....!!!!
  • fionabonnici
    9 years ago
    Please help with the design of my lounge! The shape is oblong and it always looks messy,
  • missmjbs
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    oneplan and Monica - can I ask your thoughts: if I go for a textured wall paper somewhere on this wall which would be a more cost effective option at the moment instead of having shelves etc built, then how would I get the fireplace/tv proportions right? ie. stop the tv looking top heavy?
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    if you don't want to camouflage the TV - then perhaps make the fireplace seem larger maybe - adding a mount around it ?

FionaBonnici - I suggest you start a thread too with more pics and a room sketch plan too ?
  • missmjbs
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    ah no , I do want to camouflage the tv!! - so I need a dark colour as a strip down the centre encompassing the tv. But would that work best with plain walls either side - or could wall paper still be an option. ( putting my hands up: I have so LITTLE interior design understanding I realise I am sounding ridiculous with these questions! But I am so keen to get this room right and loathing it so much at the moment I am sitting facing the door!!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    IMO you could use the lovely wall paper Monica suggested either side - maybe they do a dark version too ? If not find something similar for the black stripe or just use black paint (not Matt) - that should do the job !!
    missmjbs thanked OnePlan
  • missmjbs
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks!! And in terms of furniture - a next of tables or sideboard / bookshelves at the back of the room near the door - should these be 'matching' in material/colour etc or does it work with different? I have seen many different things I like: cream coloured furniture, and darker wood too - even glass, but as I am buying most things from scratch (which is what is making this so challenging) I am not building on current loved items - apart from sofas! What colours/types could you see in this room?
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    I think either the same colour wood as the windows and front door.... OR white like your skirting board - but white might be too modern - so my vote would be dark stained wood .... Where you have the dresser base and picture at the moment might need to move to the other wall if you go with the plan I sketched up ( as would impede your entrance if left there ) if you had something matching the table behind the sofa there - could be tall storage or low with the artwork above it maybe ?!
    missmjbs thanked OnePlan
  • missmjbs
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    oneplan - would you take the tv off the wall and put angled in the corner next to the window? I can't change the fireplace -so if I did this I don't know what I would do with the space above the fire. I have been looking at ideabooks and there are a lot of lovely rooms with tv on wall - just not mine!!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    Personally - I'd put it in a cupboard in that corner by the window and have it on a pop up mechanism ( from Hafele.co.uk) so it's only visible when you actually want to watch it . Otherwise it will always dominate the room.
    missmjbs thanked OnePlan
  • missmjbs
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I didn't know such a thing existed! And if so.......what would you do on that BIG wall?!!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    Artwork !! Indulge in three big or five medium size pieces !
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    I LOVE One Plan's idea of the TV in a unit, we had that before this house and will have another one in new house. Much better and in my opinion tv should only go above the fireplace when there s nowhere else to put it.
    My black tv looks ok on this wall I currently have, but it disappeared even better on the previous darker colour I had here, so the advice the darker the wall the less obvious your tv will be is spot on. Harlequin do a very dark chocolate with metallic in this textured paper that would go really well with your sofas so that is an option but I would be tempted to use it on that whole wall. Let me take some pictures of mine so you can see what the tv looks like it might help.
    missmjbs thanked Monica
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    I hope I don't come across as a know it all and a bit show off ish, but I can only advice on my own personal designing journey. I feel my style and taste change all the time and I learn more things all the time. xx
    missmjbs thanked Monica
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    As for the tables I think a mixture would be nice, you can have two the same and maybe throw in a metallic one (brass/gold) to play off the beautiful gold ish velvet. I love scouring Ebay but I am more of a mismatched type of girl and I get a kick from decorating tastefully (hopefully) on a budget, the more I save on house decor the more I can indulge in my other addictions :)
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    I covet this little beauty from Oka direct and keep watching for a good deal on it although it will need to be A LOT LOT cheaper before I would say yes :)
    missmjbs thanked Monica
  • missmjbs
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Monica and I DO appreciate all advice and inspiration ideas very much! I love your animal print footstool - or is a table or small chair? And like your table ideas - also like the OKA one.I am SO struggling with my room and I think it is also partly because of its shape - I have never had a room where vision is directed towards the narrow end! I am not sure now about a tv cabinet - it would still mean the tv obstructing the left side of that narrow wall and that corner is tight with the big window and curtains - the tv would have to be out at an angle?? with that I would have renewed furniture dilemma ie. what sort of tv cabinet and then what other furniture on the other side of the fireplace to balance it out? Agghhhgh!!!!
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    Missmjbs I totally understand your angst, and here's what I would say. Your room looks great as it is, its definitely not offensive and I would happily have a cuppa and a chat in there. Saying that I agree that it needs more work to make it the place that you would totally love.
    My favourite type of interiors are those that look like they've evolved over a period of time and not the ones where the owner goes and buys everything to match and beautifully coordinate and call it done!!
    Don't get me wrong I admire these interiors a lot and tend to decorate my own spare bedrooms in this manner because its a lot quicker and easier.
    I think you should deal with one thing at a time instead of focusing on the overall picture and take your time deciding every single piece that comes in that room, don't rush it. Enjoy choosing and educating your eye by doing a lot of research.
    I live by a mantra as far as my interiors go, if I absolutely love it then it will work. And I think this is important because our living spaces should reflect us most of all and relate to us and our lifestyles. So tackle that wall because it seems to me its the thing that bothers you most. Get your colour or wallpaper up and live with it for a while, you will know if its right or wrong then if you feel it doesn't work then you can look for a tv unit as an alternative.
    I would be inclined to buy (ikea malm are a favourite of many style lovers) or indeed have a handy hubby build you a set of simple consoles and position either side. Use some art work above to fill the wall around the tv and make it less obvious stuck there on its own and a couple of lamps and I think that wall could become your friend.
    As for my upholstered ottoman thank you :) , it was a rescued orange pine coffee table from a local skip, upholstered it myself in a gorgeous quality zebra fabric to pull in the dark colour from my painted Chinese TV cabinet turned booze bar (wish I could replace it). The nail trim made it look like I bought it in an expensive shop and it takes our feet every day watching telly :)
    Phew sorry for the war and peace :)
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    I wish I was good at photoshopping bits of art and tables into your space but I m not :(
    I did find a couple of pictures to highlight what I mean and they both happen to have my fave grasscloth wall covering *giggles*
    You could have the art arranged symmetrically on the wall above the consoles like pic nu 1 or you could create a collage of different sized frames like pics two.
    Oh and I think you should paint that big mirror black or a charcoal grey so the tv is not the only black thing in the room.
    missmjbs thanked Monica
  • missmjbs
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    some fab ideas here - thanks so much!!!!! You have given me hope!!!!:)
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    agreed ! fab inspiration !! it's going to be so lovely when you are done !!! ;-)
    missmjbs thanked OnePlan
  • Barry Higgs
    9 years ago
    I too had a narrow end wall and bought a photo mural of bleached wood planks from 1wall.co.uk, put it on horizontally and it looks great. Try them for ideas.
    missmjbs thanked Barry Higgs
  • Monica
    9 years ago
    How's your living room doing Missmjbs ?
  • missmjbs
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    not so well Monica - zero progress made and feeling fed up with it!! I am going to have to disguise tv rather than buy cabinets so still looking at wall coverings.....looked at the millionaire wall panels on 1wall.co.uk but still unsure how it would look. Also with the different sofa arrangement suggested by one plan, I don't know how the sofa along the wall with the mirror above it would look if I moved it down a bit - but then it would not be in the middle of the two wall lights. Does symmetry matter?! I will need a large chair to either put opposite tv or in the window alcove but do I have matching fabric or would that be too much - and if not then what? I think I might have to try and save up for a designer to come into the room and tell me what to do! totally can't afford it but also can't afford to make mistakes with wallpaper furnishings etc....... thanks for asking!!
  • Barry Higgs
    9 years ago
    missmjbs-don't know if you have a freecycle on line club around you? I have rescued lots of furniture and bibs and bobs (and given plenty back) experimented with different throws, cheap cushions and spray paints from say B & M Bargains (it doesn't have to be perfect) arranged, changed and lived with it a bit then bought the real things that suited and recycled the ones I'd sprayed and thrown over. Save a lot of expensive mistakes.
  • PRO
    Just The Chair
    9 years ago
    Maybe we could help with some colour in your room?
    Check out www.justthchair.com
    Please let us know if you need any help
  • kazza_hayward
    8 years ago

Love your sofas but the two cabinets either side of the TV look, to me, out of proportion and you need some height where they are currently

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.