carinajone

Dark or Light wooden floor

carinajone
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
We have just moved into a Victorian house, with minimal furniture and therefore a blank canvas for decoration. I have lots of dilemma.

1. We need to install wooden floors for the whole of the ground floor - hallway, living room and dining room. The lounge is painted grey (French Grey from Little Greene), with white wood trim, and white shutters. The dining room is red in all 4 walls , which we did not change, but would be happy to repaint 2 or 3 of the walls white if need be.

We've sanded the existing floorboards of one of our upstairs room, and did not stain it. It is an antique pine colour. I feel like something different for downstairs, and chose a darker wood to lay (it's sort of mid brown). There are large bay windows in the living room, and 2 windows in the dining room. I feel they can take a darker wood floor, however I am also worried about the dark floor 'sucking the light out of the place'. The back end of the hallway leads into the kitchen, which is bright and light, with light cream units and light stone floor.

2. The dining room deco was from the previous owner, we haven't got a dining table yet. Happy for suggestions for dining table options to go with the room. We didn't like the white as shown here, but would oak type of table be too dark if we go for dark wood floor?

The style I'm going for is traditional / contemporary mix I suppose. The grey and white with shutters in the living room is going to be quite contemporary already. I feel the light wood floor would make things too contemporary?

Any advice would help. Many thanks.

Comments (19)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.