clwilkins

Can I paint over foiled wallpaper or should I remove it first?

Hello there, my partner and I are buying our first home together and although the current owners have great taste we want to put our mark on our home. In the dining room there is a foiled wallpaper feature wall, but we want to achieve a cleaner look with paint. We wasn't sure if we should try to remove the paper or if we can paint over it? Slightly worried if we paint over it that the pattern would show or the paint wouldn't stick due to the foiling. but if we remove it there is fear of damaging the old wall underneath. The cottage isn't listed but is over 200yrs old and not sure of the condition of the wall underneath. Any helpful advice would be appreciated, pic attached of the room/wall. Thank you!