jessegee

Tiny tall bedroom

jessegee
We're completely gutting the bedroom, from ceiling to floor.

It measures a tiny 370cms wide by 320 cms deep, ( 12 x 10'5 ft) with 304cm high ceilings ( 10ft )

In here we have two doors, and a tall window.

We're building
1. bank of wardrobes around the doorway, creating a deep surround to walk through
2. Built in bedside cupboards and shelving
3. Insulation wallpaper
4. new coving
5. Panneling
6. skirting
7. New floor
8. radiator cover and panelling

So I'll post a photo of what we are aiming for first, then a few of the old sorry room!

Please feel free to comment as we go with ideas or opinions, I may not take them but I always enjoy them and appreciate what people think!

• mefor
    La Tip really has it all ;D
    Love the paintings, why not gonfor it with the other, but yes, still need more blue gray white mixed in. I'd love to see your art, better show is a pic of that soon.
    Headboard sounds good as long as you've got some nice tall euros shams to lean up against. Need something comfy to lean on while you look at the collage wall :)))
    jessegee thanked mefor

Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?

we bought these beautiful colourful hexagon porcelain tiles for out kitchen walls and floors and everyone is really impressed with them. here is a photo from their site

Tiny bedroom

http://www.vourtimeri.com/small-rooms-decorating-ideas/living-room-living-room-decorating-ideas-inside-remarkable-small-as-wells-as-room-decorating-ideas/ Something like this may work. A hemnes day bed is slightly narrower but still comfortable for an adult. It has LOADS of storage underneath and she can use it as a sofa when her friends visit. Put it to the left under the window (I assume) as per the image, then have custom made slimline shelves, desk and wardrobe facing as you go in. She would have to have a serious declutter first though!

Tiny tween bedroom

Without a plan of the space it's difficult to say whether a mezzanine would work but they have many of the drawbacks of loft beds. With such low ceilings and a tiny room you might be best off looking at folding beds (Murphy beds). You can buy off the shelf beds which transform into desks with no need to keep taking all the stuff of the desk or remove all the bedding (I think you'd need to take off the duvet though). Have a look at StudyBed.co.uk for an example. They're expensive but then fitting a mezzanine would be too. Alternatively there are various plans for Murphy beds which a local carpenter (or good DIYer) could follow or adapt for less. One possibility would be folding bed on one wall and desk on the opposite wall.

Refurbing a Tiny One Bedroom Bungalow

A lovely transformation and what a fantastic view from the bedroom!
  • mefor
    The dog is lovely :))
    jessegee thanked mefor
  • mefor
    I like the last one, but do you prefer to keep things more connected to your area?
    jessegee thanked mefor
  • jessegee
    Not worried if I feel a connection to it, it reminds me of family holidays in the 1960's, camping in the med, it looks like a familiar image to me, reminds me of an incident on the beach, a fisherman tried to show my young brother how to prepare the squid he had just caught snorkling, by the time it was finished my brother nearly threw up!
  • jessegee
    But I do need some more soft nautical with more white in it.........
  • sunnie2day
    You bought the one that looks like Johnshaven (insert image of Sunnie's jaw to the floor)! I think you'll love it, though. There are times all I want to do is sit there in the beach car park watching the North Sea if it's a typical cloudy day:) Feeds the soul for some reason, satisfies the need for 'delicious melancholy', maybe? When the sun shines there, though, the beach combing is amazing!

All of your finds are fab, love the dog, wow is that a find! Looking forward to seeing the painting you've done!
    jessegee thanked sunnie2day
  • Carolina
    Just enjoying seeing what you bought and what you're thinking of buying/making. Looking forward to seeing your own painting too :-)
    jessegee thanked Carolina
  • mefor
    If the prices are good and you love them, get them, there's other rooms that you'll want to add artwork to, might as well grab it now while you see it. :)))
    jessegee thanked mefor
  • jessegee
    oh yes, forgot to say some of the greener ones are for the hallway and lounge, the moose is tiny, will put it in a large frame on white mount :))

Don't get too excited about my picture, its, erm, abstractically impressionistic lol!

I love egg pictures, having a lil look.....
  • ptreckel
    Thinking about your wooden headboard.... Your idea of horizontal planking, framed, sounds nice. Have you considered using salvaged shutters as headboard wood? Are you envisioning painted wood, or weathered (gray) wood? A new Houzz posting of a coastal home in Whitestable (Kent) just appeared. Very pretty.... Yours deserves to be featured, in my opinion!
    jessegee thanked ptreckel
  • mefor
    I love egg pics too, nice simplicity mixed with the waterscapes
    jessegee thanked mefor
  • mefor
    What happened with the seagulls on roof?
    jessegee thanked mefor
  • jessegee
    oh I didn't bid on it, missed it I think, I'll have a look...
  • jessegee
    thank you ptreckel, blless you, I'd need all your help for it to be good enough to be photo'd lol!
    I'll try and find the headboard post, I was thinking painted, as wood the same colour as the floor might be a bit too in yer face, I did consider parquet, ysing very small new wood blocks,,,,,, I'd like it panelled, or fabric padded, but DH is very keen on planks, so I said horizontal then framed to echo the coving when it comes, does that all sound a bit odd?
  • Victoria
    Great ebaying Jesse!
    I think wood could work well. There are boards on pin terest that show furniture, including headboards, built from salvaged wood.
    jessegee thanked Victoria
  • jessegee
    Victoria, yay!! I've done my xmas shopping, so now I'm buying myself a few prezzies.
    cool about headboards, have been looking at Le Tip, but I've got the wood planks, bought it a couple of weeks ago, then DH had second thoughts, so I became keen on padded, now he's done an about turn again, I think the lack of nicotine doesn't help. :))
    Am being horribly selfish, haven't got to look at other posts happening, y'know kitchens and things... !!!!
  • Victoria
    Kitchen is ongoing
    jessegee thanked Victoria
  • mefor
    And glorious :)))
    jessegee thanked mefor
  • jessegee
    ohhhhhhhhh woweee! Its a stunner, coming on so fast now, those shades are inspired , I can imagine to worktop with them, absolutely chic and gorgeous, am in amazed awe , like many of the ladiezz, how you do it all, juggling life work family and still have so much creative energy.
  • Monica
    VICTORIA!!!! That kitchen is turning out amazing !!! woweeee why don't you have a thread for me to drool over???? or have you?
    Jesee you are making great progress, I want to see your own art as I would like to make something but I am to scared to start LOL
    jessegee thanked Monica
  • Victoria
    No, I had a kitchen thread ages ago when I was starting to get ideas but not now. Oneplan designed it for me :-)))
    jessegee thanked Victoria
  • Monica
    Well that's not fair, as I would like to see every inch of that space, resurrect it please and update us all with how is coming along. One Plan will be doing mine when I reach that point :)
    jessegee thanked Monica
  • Carolina
    It's absolutely stunning! Such a large space and I love the handles and the pendants. Lovely!
    jessegee thanked Carolina
  • jessegee
    I'm such a fan of Victoria's kitchen, Oneplans the best, together they've made an awesome space :))
    OnePlan
    Aw Shucks ladies !! I love my job ! Especially seeing fab results like this !!! Victoria and Jessegee - I'm super impressed with how both of your projects are turning out !!! Yippee!!
    jessegee thanked OnePlan
  • jessegee

Sorry we've been quiet for so long!

Plaster coving has been fitted today, and the style has morphed a bit when I knocked up this headboard.( and broke the bed, oops)

Cushions need a rearrange, but this is the general idea

There's plenty more to do, we are converting the lanterns to bedside lights :))

Coving is still wet, and will need painting. I decided against the dark grey :))

• mefor

Wow, gorgeous job Jesse, looks fab. I love the colorings, says romantic seaside cottage without being kitschy. Beautiful choices :)))

jessegee thanked mefor
  • mefor

And you are so talented, pro job on the headboard. Maybe you'd

Ike to start a little cottage industry? Jesses Bespoke Paneled Headboards

Has a nice ring to it :))

jessegee thanked mefor
  • jessegee

Couple of things to play with.....

• jessegee

You know I couldn't do it without you ! :)))

• mefor

Very romantic, I really like the combination of things you've gathered :)

Yes, you did it all, you two are so handy, and so disciplined. It would be a 10 year project if I was doing it all on my own, especially all the construction of the built ins.

jessegee thanked mefor
  • ptreckel
    Beautiful!!!! I love the subtlety of your choices. Simple, clean lines, a cottage by the sea.... I have really missed your updates, Jessegee! Thanks for all the wonderful images.
    jessegee thanked ptreckel
  • jessegee

Forgot to show you the two oil paintings that came, I knew they were small from the advert, it said the measurements, but how funny when I opened them up, rofl!!!

They're perfect for the narrow hallway!

• Victoria
    Gosh, those are small! They'd look great with a huge mount in a normal size frame.
    Looking good Jesse ;-)
    jessegee thanked Victoria
  • Carolina

Wow Jesse! It looks good. The coving really puts a finishing touch to the room. Very nice. I love the little lamps on the headboard. Was thinking exactly the same thing as Victoria about frames for the small oil paintings. They are pretty though.

jessegee thanked Carolina
  • Carolina

Not a black frame, just examples of small painting/large frame :-)

jessegee thanked Carolina
  • ptreckel
    Perhaps gray driftwood colored, rough wood frames with very large mattes? The images are beautiful... They just need enhancement to make an impact.
    jessegee thanked ptreckel
  • Carolina

Another example of small pictures in large frames. I know you know what I mean, but I just came across this photo and think it's lovely, so thought I'd show it :-)

Master Bedroom · More Info

jessegee thanked Carolina
  • jessegee

Those are wonderful ideas, thank you for all the lovely comments.

I've been collecting frames from junk shops etc, all very cheap, and need some work, but will suit the large frame mounts idea really well. Most difficult thing is making the mounts, I might be better off getting those made to fit properly.

Has anyone made or ordered their own mounts before, getting that nice sharp edge etc?

• Victoria
    I tried making them, not great. There are so many places now that do them to order online or any local framer will cut them for you.
    jessegee thanked Victoria
  • mefor

I'd get them done, when it's perfectly done, makes the whole piece look wonderful. Cutting mounts (mattes) isn't easy. :)

jessegee thanked mefor
  • ptreckel
    You might consider a double matte/mount. The top being white and the bottom, just peeping out a tiny bit, in a color that you wish to accent in the picture, tying in to your room. But, I definitely suggest that the matting be done professionally. It isn't easy to do!
    jessegee thanked ptreckel
  • jessegee

Just been to framers in Exeter, and spent £210 having a few prints done, double mounts, some with peep of colour as you suggested simple white frames, ready end of next week, fingers crossed !

• Harv Lee

Hi an interloper here ... loved seeing this project evolve with the amazing support you had .... would love to see the finished room .... amazing what you have achieved with the built ins

jessegee thanked Harv Lee
    Monkig--Custom Jewelry/Watch Drawer Insert

Hi,there,if you have extra closet drawers you can put some drawer inserts in them and organize your jewelry!

We make fully customized jewelry drawer inserts without minimum order requirement. And we ship worldwide.

Lead time: 7-14 days.

If you need any assistance, don't hesitate to contact us.

MONKIG 15-Watch-Winder and Jewelry Storage Display Cabinet-North American Oak · [More Info[(https://www.houzz.com/products/monkig-15-watch-winder-and-jewelry-storage-display-cabinet-north-american-oak-prvw-vr~57404514)

MONKIG 15-Watch-Winder and Jewelry Storage Display Cabinet-North American Oak · [More Info[(https://www.houzz.com/products/monkig-15-watch-winder-and-jewelry-storage-display-cabinet-north-american-oak-prvw-vr~57404521)

Custom 5-Watch Watch Winder and Jewelry Safe Interior HO4-LK-MBVV-5MWJ ·

jessegee thanked Monkig--Custom Jewelry/Watch Drawer Insert
  • jessegee

Those would've been a beautiful addition, there is something very wonderful about organised storage, where all items are displayed spaciously and ready to use. Instead we built around space constructions and what we knew we had to store, mostly seasonal hanging things, with box storage above.

But here's some photos of it relatively finished

,

An expert eye will find many mistakes, but sometimes you can't change the big stuff like walls and heating systems, so we make do, and celebrate what we've achieved, because it's great to live in, and we had fantastic help from forum members along the way, truly brilliant pals.

• ptreckel
    So pleased that you have posted these lovely photos! Yours was the first project I ever followed on Houzz. And remains the most interesting and satisfying! I loved watching your design evolve. And I thoroughly enjoyed your sense of humor...and that of the Houzzers who shared their ideas with you. Thank you for posting your dilemma and allowing us all to experience your journey with you! ❤️
    jessegee thanked ptreckel