aliciaduffey

Need help with my kitchen

aliciaduffey
Hi, after much deliberation we have decided not to extend our kitchen but to work with the space we have. We're going to get rid of everything in the pics and start with a blank canvas. I would appreciate any ideas for how to add a WOW factor to the room. As far as styles are concerned I am considering a grey inframe kitchen but I would like to add some industrial elements. I appreciate this is starting from scratch but I'm in need of inspiration!

Our house is a 1930s semi. Please just ask me any questions.

Thanks

• flopsycat1
    Ok, a little more wow? Change out the dining area light to a more exciting pendant. If industrial is your style, there are many options. Or something like this :

Need help for my kitchen in a holiday home

Hi - just checking in before I shut down the computer ! Thank you Joe !!! Roselyne, love the photos !! Looks so quaint !!! So, France ! Much more liberal with regard to planning (phew!!) how lovely ! Yes, that cottage look would fit in so well !!! The last project I did in France was an old watermill in Rennes - beautiful location - but a nightmare to find a good furniture manufacturer !! Have you sourced anything yet ?! Or are you thinking of bringing it all over by road ?!?!

Need help for my kitchen

Is it possible to move the white goods and sink up starting from the 'L' shape heading up towards the stairs, if the units that make up the 'L'shape are about 1800 mm moving that part of the kitchen up would still give a walk through of 7-800 mm to then you fit your dinning table in comfortably in the space where the sink etc were, all plumbing provisions could come from the downstairs wc it would just be the waste that would need a small modification possibly to get it outside. You could also extend the worktop a little on the 'L' shape bit to form a breakfast bar area, unfortunately doing this if possible will mean no room for an island, hope his helps.

need help with my kitchen diner extension!

Thank you to respondees. I have my washing machine and tumble dryer in the garage. I will try to get a rough sketch of layout and sizes but original kitchen and diner is @ 6m long and 3m wide. I will definitely check out your websites for inspiration. Meantime, I have three main questions 1. Is there a general size for a dining room to accommodate a ten seater table? 2. I have drainpipes and drains outside my kitchen which I'm guessing would need rerouted. I heard this might cost £3000! Any comments would be gratefully received.3. This will be north facing so I hoped to get Kingspan super cosy insulation. I was wondering if I might be wise to get a wood frame also for fuel economy. Is this also cheaper and is it possible to get a kit? Thank you so much for any help.

Need help for my kitchen paint color//

I think a light grey would enhance your table and chairs. You can add accents of brighter colours in small touches (kitchen herbs, fruit bowl,...) and some art on the table wall? The kitchen looks quite dark, you could consider letting more light in by leaving the blinds up and maybe change the ceiling lighting to halogen spots?
    Vetrostone USA
    Have you looked at some of Vetrostone USA countertops? We have a variety of different colors that may help with the WOW Factor you are looking for! It is an eco-friendly durable surface containing exotic seashells and sea glass.
  • aliciaduffey
    Thank you. Vetrostone we're in the UK so can't look at those unfortunately and Flopsycat, thanks but it's certainly not stunning close up!
  • aliciaduffey
    Where is that light from?
  • flopsycat1
    Don't know if you're asking about the light I posted, but ,just in case, it's the Dallas Chandelier from Arteriors. I love it!
    Ellen Robinson Designs
    I see you have lovely high ceilings where you could hang a stunning ceiling light over the dining table. This could be your wow factor and can be seen as people enter the front door. The suggested lights are large so you would have to check measurements but would be a great focal point. If you would like more information please contact me info@ellenrobinsondesigns.co.uk
    aliciaduffey thanked Ellen Robinson Designs
  • boundsgreener
    Hi. You need to find OnePlan. And a floorplan with dimensions will help her, and others, a great deal.

Definitely do cabinets or open shelves at the end to the ceiling so you don't have a plinth and empty useless space above and I'd suggest a partially built-in dining area - a banquette that goes under the window and around that corner bit to take better advantage of the space.

Mortimer Road, De Beauvoir · More Info
    aliciaduffey thanked boundsgreener
  • Tony McIntyre
    Your kitchen is something I would dream for! I love your table and chairs, where did you get them?
    OnePlan
    last modified: 7 years ago
    Thank you for the mention BG !
    Would you consider replacing the window in dining area with French doors ?! Will bring in loads more daylight ! Then you could replace the back door with a window and more kitchen cabinets below ? Also can you snap a pic into the right corner of the kitchen - it's the one area we can't see yet ?!
  • iolosdad
    Bifold doors ! It will transform the way you live! In summer just lift the table out and put up a parasol or fit an awning. As others have said you already gave a lovely kitchen fit some new lighting at can be switched one in one central place by the door and add dimmer switch for your new pendant fitting. Post some during and after pix would love to see what you achieve.
  • iolosdad
    I wonder if vetrostone sell many counter tops in the UK lol, but replacing yours or just some of yours to a nicer granite would be a lot cheaper than buying a new kitchen and could transform your space? We have solid oak and it looks and feels good but granite would have been more practical in the sink areas.
    Laura Gompertz Interiors Ltd
    You could paint the existing cabinets (or replace with new) and put in a stainless steel worktop with welded in integrated sink. I have used http://www.stainlessdirectuk.com/ and they were great.
  • glwas
    your room needs some colour
  • Tani H-S
    I agree re you could paint the cupboard doors (or say just the lower ones even?) or, as you have a recess in the middle of the doors, paint that a different colour?
    I agree that you need some colour shot in the kitchen as there is a lot of the same tone of wood.

Worse case - if you really dislike your cupboard door shape and don't want to paint them, you could just buy replacement ones which is a lot cheaper than ripping out a good kitchen?
  • dooders1981
    It's perfectly lovely as is??? Looks like after photos. Why are you changing it? If you really dislike the cabinets ONLY paint them. The style is perfect. Paint putty and change hardware is one thought. Put the only thing I think you need to do is get rid of dining set it's too big and wrong shape for there. Built a banquet with custom cushions or a smaller round table with 4 armless chairs. Change out light fixtures if you need a change but the kitchen is lovely as is!!!!
  • Jo DP
    Is there enough room to block the back door and change layout so a sleek kitchen could run from the entrance from the hall as far as the end of existing back door. A dining area would look so good in what is now the kitchen part with french doors or bifold onto the garden letting in lots of light and a view. A small peninsula could come out at the end of the new units making a small division between the areas. The cupboard on the left would have to be removed and also a double wall oven installed. OR could you widen the door as you come in the kitchen to create a sight line from the front door? Also the window behind the table would be fantastic if made a long one down to the floor so views from the table onto the garden. An aluminium frame or black would work with the grey units you are thinking of and look architectural.Think back UPVC door lets down the kitchen..your front door is amazing & adds a lot of character. 2 narrow french windows here would work. Remove the light fitting as it is in the wrong place and have lots of fun doing the lighting as this will transform the space. Open shelves or a "found" metal cupboard not matching the new units would suit an industrial theme better than matchey wall units.
    aliciaduffey thanked Jo DP
  • aliciaduffey
    Great ideas thanks, we are having to stick with the layout as the large cupboard holds the boiler in what we think is an old chimney breast. Several builders have advised that trying to knock this back is opening a can of worms. Totally agree about the back door and love the idea of some industrial features.
  • choppy39
    Huge bifold doors, poured concrete tops, if you are keeping the layout replace the doors and panels and keep the carcases if the doors are no good, even a small breakfast bar from the left if space permits, get rid of the cupboard alone on the wall..or replace a wall cabinets with train luggage rack? Do something interesting on the range wall as a splashback (I am looking for a huge tin road sign if I can find one)
  • tscott009
    the present layout is similar to what we faced when we moved into our 1930s semi. We added a floor length window alongside the breakfasting area to enjoy the garden views - it looks as though you could also do this by replacing the current small window with French doors then block in the current pvc door which would give you more wall space. I would also lose the first wall cabinet to the right of the back door as will create the sense of space and flow. How about creating more of a focal feature of the cooker by building a false chimney above with wood mantle, perhaps painted in a shade of grey to match your lovely floor tiles? I would also tie in the breakfast area with the kitchen by using the same shade of grey as the facing wall of the cooker area. could you also enlarge the door from the hall into the kitchen so that you could have double glass doors, this again would improve the flow and light? Finally how about introducing ceiling coving to soften the angles, even if it were just in the breakfast room.
  • Jo DP
    If you do block up the existing back door make sure to leave the indentation & shelve (metal?) its full length out. This would suit the industrial feel you like. Paint the inner bit of this space a deeper or contrasting tone(a hot deep Pink?) than the wall colours to suggest depth. You could use tiles or even mirror glass in this space, (cheaper to stick with paint) if budget allowed. Cheaper than a wall unit& this sort of detail makes your kitchen individual and is easy peasy.
  • tscott009
    excellent idea re using the frame of the door for shelving
  • saya85
    well you certainly got my grey matter working on a sunday morning- i'm currently redesigning my own and a family members kitchen so have been full swing in this thought process for some time! I live in UK too so know how difficult it is to work in these spaces- (is the kitchen on side of house? is there garden space behind the cooker/hob wall?)

Two questions though are necessary:
    1 ) What are dimensions of room? (I'm guessing about 18ft long, by 9ft wide -measuring to the window sill- excluding the 1ft outer wall depth)
    2 ) What is your budget? Enough to only stretch to replacing kitchen units? or a whole remodel- moving gas pipe/sink position etc. Are you keeping the floor?

I've attached two room designs that I think would work well (assuming you have 9-10ft width to play with). Both I think will give a better flow to the room, and allow you to add the wow factor. Think about how you want to use the space not just the aesthetic look.

The first design swaps the layout, and the second- you can have the sink and hob in the island. The best way to keep costs down would be to spend money on the island/kitchen cabinetry and granite/concrete worktop- but use full height MODULAR wall cabinet shelving (any joiner could do, or buy standard shelves/open cabinetry from ikea or affordable places like this)- to keep costs down and open shelving would suit your industrial style too.

Interestingly you mention its a 1930s house- are there art deco features in your house? Both industrial and art deco styles have things in common- monochrome colour palette, reflective surfaces (mirrors/stainless steel), architectural elements (strong straight lines/grids- consider crittal windows?? perfect for both designs) and grey would suit both. If you want more industrial style- consider exposed brickwork also.

If you can't afford bifold doors- consider French doors and full height window panels either side to give the same effect

On reflection- I realise Jo DP and I seem to be on similar lines of thought! Hope these pictures help :) and please send us pictures once you're done. Good luck!

[houzz= https://www.houzz.co.uk/photos/7-austin-terrace-transitional-kitchen-dallas-phvw-vp~7487236]
    [houzz=]
    [houzz=
    Division Street · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Teddy Edwards Goodwood Range · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    House on Pine Ridge · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    The Cliffs at Mountain Park: Private Residence · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    West Philadelphia Kitchen · More Info
    ]
    OnePlan
    last modified: 7 years ago
    Hi Saysa85 lovely pics you chose !! - not wishing to squish your creativity - but 30" isn't enough space around an island !
    Please have your own, and family's kitchen plans checked by a pro before they order ! I will happily do this, for free, if you any to email me a copy - just to be on the safe side !!
  • saya85
    hi oneplan- thanks! yes I know 30" is def on the wee side- but my sister actually had that in her kitchen hence I know it can work at a push-but def not ideal! 3 feet I find I can work with easily- but its ppls own preference also. I would probably decrease the width of the wall shelving and make the aisle space min of 3 ft if it was my kitchen. I agree, in the island design because of the size of the island you probably want to allow more aisle space.

Thanks for the offer of checking my designs oneplan- once weve actually decided (and agreed!) on what to do- I will surely take you up on it - many thanks :)
  • plantsandgardens
    Why not lime wash the units doors, ore get new ones, and use a concrete work top. Add colour on the walls below the wall units.
  • Sue Allen
    I'm not sure you could get decent size bifolds as you have a supporting pillar near the window. going for built in eye level oven rather than a range will make the kitchen less country style. grey units will look nice with a rustic wooden floor. A table with benches rather than all chairs will also break up the traditional dining feel. 4 or 5 lights on a drop down bar would look good over the table. John lewis have some good ones at a reasonable price. on the units I will go for units to the ceiling with no pelmit to give a sharp finish. not sure where you are getting your kitchen but I am planning to use DIY kitchens.com. more work needed on your part to plan every thing but you can pick up a bespoke in frame for a fraction of the price of a poor quality chainstore one. All farrow and ball colours are available.
  • serenaribena1
    Hi,

If you are looking for a vintage industrial look I would do the following things
    1) get rid of the all the higher level cupboards and have open plan shelving (ikea do some great stainless steel shelves) and I would get some lovely looking vintage jars and storage (also try ikea). You can also get slatted stainless steel shelves that you can hang pans and utensils off.
    2) replace the tiles with white 'brick' tiles with a dark grey grouting.
    3) either paint or replace the lower cupboard doors and put new handles on them. I love the old looking plan chest handles you can get.
    4) replace work top with a wooden one, looks fabulous when it gets a bit worn and you can keep it looking great with teak oil. Stay away from polished concrete (I had one and it stains really easily and ends up looking like pavement!!)
    5) ebay or flea market for a small farmhouse type table with different chairs and stools round it.
    6) make your blackboard a feature wall so everyone can have a scribble.
    7) google or Pinterest vintage industrial kitchens for more ideas.

Good luck!!!
  • veryvert

As the song goes 'don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone, they take paradise, they put in a parking lot...' This kitchen has a welcome and charm. It surely would have been one of the selling factors when the house was sold? The layout lends itself to easy communication. This kitchen is not a problem, you could buy a beautiful piece of art instead of spending on the kitchen?

Dreambath Sanitaryware Factory

Single but good kichen. We could offer stone composite tub.