nicola_day7786726

Curtain and accent colour?

Nic Mower
9 years ago
We've painted the bedroom in F&B pale powder, dark walnut furniture, grey headboard and white linen. Really struggling to finish the room off, particularly curtains and accent colours on the bed. Any thoughts welcome - I just don't have the eye! :-(

Comments (30)

• louisep2012
    9 years ago
    It's a bit of a limited view from your picture :) but I think some light curtains would look great, or maybe a satin type grey/silver to frame the window. It's quite a small window so you could hang a Roman blind high over the top of the window so it doesn't block any light or view. Team this with some curtains to finish it off if you know what I mean...it will really make the window seem so much bigger.

Do you like radiator covers? That or simply a radiator shelf can add interest or distraction from the radiator. I would invest in a pretty throw to add some texture to the bed and I think greys and pinks might be a nice contrast but still subtle. It looks like a lovely pretty room so I would try and enhance that with some sparkle and mirrors.
  • Nic Mower
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Louise! I've taken another shot because i agree it didn't give the best angle for you to see! It's got a very high (maybe 15-20ft) ceiling and don't think really showed the height. Like the idea of pinks on the bed and a throw
  • Nic Mower
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Pic with higher ceiling
  • Nic Mower
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Couple more angles
  • PRO
    Razina Bargit
    9 years ago
    A really lovely room you have, really like the colour of the walls.

I'd suggest some luxurious linen curtains. As you have small windows it's worth placing your curtain pole or track quite a bit above the window, ie don't start your curtains too low. That would make your room feel smaller. Also go for floor sweeping length.

Perhaps a large piece of artwork to tie in with your room above your headboard. You have a lovely pale mint/green, I think really gentle splashes of a darker mint and pale pink would look lovely, and break it up with some copper tones, if you don't want it to look too girly.

It's worth also having some nice bed side lamps which are essential pieces for a bedroom. If you don't have space hang up a floating solid wood shelf. That would help the room to look cosy and give you ambience.

Good luck!
  • louisep2012
    9 years ago
    Wow really pretty room. Lovely colour on the walls :)
  • PRO
    Lisbet Home and Style, Esher
    9 years ago
    Louise, have you thought about matching the headboard to the curtains? I too like the idea of a shell pink cover - with the existing duvet- on the bed- plus I would add some large square grey cushions to set it all off. Add a couple of small matching white bedside tables and matching lamps to tie it all together.
  • Nic Mower
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Esher.

I like the idea of the soft pink on the bed.

We've got dark walnut bedside tables coming on Friday and I'm getting matching lamps.

The curtains are tricky - I ordered some to match the headboard but they looked a bit funny, I don't know if it was the length or the material type. They were a very thick cotton, maybe it needs more of a silky texture? Would you suggest floor or sill length?

Was thinking of a black curtain pole.
  • Angie
    9 years ago
    I think like one of the previous comments match your curtains to your head board colour wise
    I've found if I make my curtains full length and lined , with tie backs they can look really plush. I love mat silk (or as close as you can get). If you can sew add some padding inside between curtain and lining and even cheaper silk can look amazing
    Next have some reasonably priced ones too when I was looking with my daughter
  • alfie60
    9 years ago
    what colour scheme would suit south facing room I like greys and aqua shabby chic
  • louisep2012
    9 years ago
    http://www.next.co.uk/homeware/home-decor/curtains-blinds-collection/40

I have ordered these this week funnily enough. Waiting to pick them up but I saw a sample in store and they seemed lovely. They have a co ordinating cushion too haha
  • shelleyuk
    9 years ago
    They look nice. I think that you need some pattern in the room to give it depth, perhaps in cushions and a throw since you've gone plain with the curtains
  • Pat C
    9 years ago
    How about some bold curtains ?
    Nic Mower thanked Pat C
  • Nic Mower
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

I'm leaning towards patterned full length curtains, maybe white and grey (my problem is going to be finding any ready made that are 280cm drop) a soft pink bed spread and a throw of not sure what colour.. large bedside lamps, and then a mix of printed and plain cushions.
  • cinderellaslipper
    9 years ago
    The 'Bones' of your room are perfect, for you to go out and choose a pair of curtains, & a toning throw, to just tie everything in, there are plenty of choice using pink & grey, and I'd choose a deep pink throw, with a curtain fabric in a large floral with a similar colour in it..don't worry about huge curtains, if they hang from a little above the window, to the skirting board, that will be fine, if they are more generous, in ready made length, that too will be fine..but do extend the curtain pole to include the width of that offset radiator, or it will be poking out..& find some art work to pull the scheme even more into focus, there are always Redoute rose prints with a grey frame to make a classic romantic bedroom look.
    Nic Mower thanked cinderellaslipper
  • shelleyuk
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I disagree about the length of the curtains. It is all important. The rod should be wider than the window so that when the curtains are pulled back they clear the window completely (and like cinderella said also hide that radiator).

The rod should also be hung higher than the top of the window. It shouldn't just sit an inch above the top of the window (which is common in the UK but gives a far less luxurious look). Having them touch the top of the skirting board will spoil your room which would be a shame. They need to be floor length.

If budget is an issue ikea do 3m length curtains. Otherwise you should find longer lengths in places like Dunelm Mill. Another option If budget is a problem is to use use two poles and have a set of plain retractable curtains on the underneath pole sitting behind a pair of fake (very narrow width) curtains made from the more expensive fabric.
    Nic Mower thanked shelleyuk
  • shelleyuk
    9 years ago
    Hang on , scrap all that I've just seen that the RHS of your window pretty much touches the wall. In that case I think you should go for a patterned roman blind (again make sure that it is hung correctly). Curtains will block out your light since the right hand one will always be covering the window.
    Nic Mower thanked shelleyuk
  • Nic Mower
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks both. The fact that the window is so close to the wall is very tricky. what do you think about having a plain roman black out blind and then some narrow but floor length patterned curtains so they woudln't cover too much of the window? The previous owner had curtains up and they managed to frame the window quite nicely. Love the idea of the rose prints and grey frame
  • shelleyuk
    9 years ago
    Perhaps if you used a very lightweight fabric with no lining and keep the curtains narrow.

Can you live with the offset radiator poking out of one side of the curtains?
  • Nic Mower
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'd rather it didn't but don't think I really have another choice to be honest, and also it does help to heat the room a bit better so all the heat doesn't escape through the window.

Amazing shout on Ikea - had totally discounted them for some reason, but they all come in 3m length, great stuff.

Last decision I guess is lamp shade colour!
  • ccbath
    9 years ago
    Easiest option might be lovely pale linen with a leading band of the bedhead colour.
  • cinderellaslipper
    9 years ago
    I think you could afford a lovely pop of colour, so perhaps a pair of deep pink lamps & shades or failing that, some candlestick lamps in grey or cream, with a deep pink shade..
  • cinderellaslipper
    9 years ago
    I too failed to see how tight that corner is, but I have seen a One sided curtain treatment work very well, it can look pretty stylish,
  • shelleyuk
    9 years ago
    I would also be introducing some colour and agree pink is a good option. I personally wouldn't go for pink lamp shade since you might get a bit of a brothel effect when the lights are on (which I'm sure isn't the look you're going for!), but perhaps a patterned lamp base with some pinks, aquas and greys and then a plain shade
  • rebeccafomina
    9 years ago
    Hi Nicola
    you have a lovely room. you can give it a really luxury look by stretching curtains from wall to wal and grazing the floor. ikeas kvartal track system is great for that. i have same lay out and small window like you,so i used a double track and used identical designlcurtains in complimenting shades (latte and cream). my cream part stretches from one wall to next and the latte frames the edges. each latte side is a third of the width. so i can have many beutiful options. either have cream fully closed, latte framing on each side, or have latte gathered with tie back for this type of look, but because the cream hangs right under the latte you cannot see the wall and looks very finished. this looks particularly good in the evening, the window is dressed and pretty but noone can see thru. when the cream is open its also very nice, you see nice contrast betweenthe two. i also want to hang net curtains full width and length as cream and add one more rack (its very easy to add, but you can buy triple one too), just not done that yet. my curtains are 270 cm long. i also bought ikea hanging hooks and created beautiful even pleats it my originally pencil pleat curtains. looks like i paid a fortune to get them made. the hooks only cost £3 a pack. i dont have a pic to post but the curtain is a lined voile, its very airy and light. bought on amazon, its called rimini by curtina. but im sure you can do same with ikea curtains by pairing two shades. they have some lovely light grays and whites in few diff options!lightweight curtains dont stop the heat fromentering the room and the track is very easy to fit. it also has an option of rounded end rail for a real luxe look! worth looking into and ill try post a pic.

rebecca
  • Nic Mower
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Rebecca,

Really like the sound if this! It would help the bit to the left of the window that was going to look v plain.

Does that need to be done with a track then rather than a pole? And the do you draw the curtains back to the edge of the window?

Not sure if you saw the second couple of pics I posted but the window is almost right next to the wall so one end would be super thin and the other really wide when drawn back.

Have you seen any pics where it's like that?

This would really help with introducing a second colour but also using grey to tie into the headboard.

Love white voile too, very calming

Would love to see a pic of yours if you have one - we're going to Ikea this Thursday
  • rebeccafomina
    9 years ago
    Hi Nicola my pics are uploading now. i just looked at your second picture again where it shows the thin space left. i think it could still work with my idea and what you could do, is draw the curtain back to reveal the window when you need the light, but not more than the window itself as it gives an illusion of a wider window, rather than an oddly position window.

i posted pic of same cream curtain that used on pole in my dining room. as you could tell there is no comparison between the two (track and pole both ikea, but on the track it keeps the pleats even and diesnt twist as opposed to the pole, its because of the direction of the opening for the hook. ikea does vivan range, very reasonably priced, so u can get few widths for under 50 quid and create a lot of sumptuous pleats. im totally not sure, but it could be u can thread that curtain thru the pole, it also creates even pleats but not as nice as with hooks and not easy to draw it, but you cant go wrong by looking at it and seeing if that works.

also if you do grey on the edges you can make that quite thin and permanent onboth edges and not move that at all and just use single track for two colours and only draw the white ones.
  • rebeccafomina
    9 years ago
    sorry only one photo got attached. look in my idea book under my curtains. below is the pole and the track
  • rebeccafomina
    9 years ago
    sorry dunno why the upload not working for me. here is pole! sorry pic is dark, please zoom in
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.