monidda

I know this CAN be a fabulous room ... I just lost my way a little

Monica
18 November, 2014
last modified: 18 November, 2014
Hello friendly Houzz ers :)
A month ago we moved into this new place that needs a total overhaul. I just finished our bedroom and is time to tackle the living room and our dining room.
What I need help with is

Walls colour and trim first of all, I am in the UK so won't have the option of using a lot of the US companies but I love Farrow and Ball paints.
The room is east facing and I am thinking of a greeny blue gray or a warm white?

The plans for this room

Flooring will be reclaimed oak Hungarian point laid parquet ( not for a while though as it needs restoring and it's going to be a mammoth task), for now I will enjoy my multicoloured patterned carpet yuck !!!

I would like to line the alcoves in distressed mirror and have some built in units with one of them housing the TV ( I would like it on a motorised system to hide away when not in use). Ideas on some wall lights for these alcoves would also be very welcomed.

We are having a fire stone surround made by a stone mason and will pop a wood burning stove inside it . I would like to pick your brains regarding the best height for this.

I feel I need more pattern and the current cushion situation makes me twitchy as is just a bit meh ( we had this furniture in two rooms before so trying to make it all work in here)

Horror moulding on the ceiling is going this week lights are staying unless you guys think they are wrong.

I have two butler's tables that I plan to use either side of the white sofa with the small round brass table being used for the armchair currently with no table/next to dining room (using one of the butlers table somewhere else for a little bit longer)

I would love some BIG gourd lamps as my glass ones look lost here but I can't locate them easily in the UK. I am taking a trip to Orlando next January so maybe I could bring them back with me.

Anything else is up for the debate, what do you think? Im I heading the wrong way? I feel I just lost my way a little
Any help and criticism gladly received, I want to get it right so I am not afraid of having your honest opinions.
Many thanks

• gailehughes
    Your room already has amazing bones and is going to look wonderful when finished. I can see through into your dining and that looks French Provincial themed, I would stick with that look. I would do all the walls and the ceiling in Antique white with your timber floors - divine! You have lovely Sofas, so a blueberry and cream mix cushion on your cream sofa and and cream and grey cushions on your blueberry sofas. Your Chandelier is perfect. Keep the curtains for now. Stand back and take a look then and really, your Artwork colour and lamps will become obvious. I always like simple and elegant and easy to live with. With these choices you could introduce gold lamps, side table, candelabras later - or all of the above in silver, black, grey, antique white whatever takes your fancy really. Good luck, I am sure it is going to look fabulous.
    Monica thanked gailehughes
  • Victoria
    Just saw this on Achica, I know you are probably sorted but just wondered if this floated your boat...
    Monica thanked Victoria
  • Monica
    Thank you Gailes, yes the dining room has a french vibe with the antique french table and mirror. I am not sure I want to theme it all though I like the odd piece thrown in to keep it all from looking to put together.
    Victoria you are sweet for posting that (thank you) but its a bit to fancy, plus I bet is bigger than my space :(
    The sink guy emailed me to say he can cut a white marble one down for me so I will make a decision at the weekend when I am seeing him again. If all fails I am choosing the white ceramic one, I figured that if I went with the green one (which is just beautiful btw) I would always feel like I settled for 2nd best and I want to get it right 1st time.
  • Victoria
    Thought it might be, but was worth a shot!
  • Monica
    Hello ladies
    OMG so much has happened in the last week !!!
    First we made a decision re the sink and the sea green marble one WON in the end.
    We tried to cook up smaller white marbles ones but I wasn't sure I would end up with something I truly loved after lots of messing about. So cutting g the back o. The green one and changing the taps. What do you think of these ones?
    about . I am now sure the beau
  • Monica
    And then next Friday we are welcoming a new fur baby into our family, little Olly a red teddy bear coated cockapoo. I am beyond excited !!!
  • Carolina
    Aww... Olly is incredibly cute. And so are his (her?) siblings. Irresistible little furry balls of cuteness. Good luck and prepare yourself for having a baby in the house :-)

Hooray for the green marble. It's gorgeous. Such a soft, beautiful colour and I like the shape of this one too. No opinion on the tap :-)
  • Lady Tottington's Poodle
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh did you finish your lounge? Did I miss the finished pics?
  • Ro Ro
    Hello again! Phew! OMG I'm so nerdy that travelling 3 hours home last night I counted up the number of days since we started having visitors, being visitors, and travelling here and there - all very good fun but oh so nice to be back home a deux! Nerdy bit - blush: It came to 37 days. The Monica Thread Houzz Mates all seem to have been similarly occupied judging from these few postings.
    Nice to be back, actually.

Monica, you are 'cooking with gas' on all fronts again! Olly is gorgeous. It's the first time I have heard of a cockapoo! Irresistible...

Houzz stuff:

Sink - the green one is really good and the grass-cloth comes completely into its own with that. A fab look as in the photo we all liked!

Porch (that I know is not high priority)
    These are my suggestions for when you are ready:

Paint the brick walls a slubby shade of the colour of your choice. A colour that evokes a welcoming peacefulness, not 'smart' nor contrived - 'laid back'.

Have a painted built-in bench (sturdy MDF will do the job very well) with backrest - almost the whole depth available and all the width - that houses the radiator and has a 'rad cab' type screening inset (slightly back from the seat front, for toe/heel space) below the seat.

Do the same on the other side i.e. create built in storage (same painted sturdy MDF) for the shoes that fills the full width and mirrors the style. Perhaps hinge-topped flaps to cover the shoe shelves?
    Just a few thoughts! Have a good day y'all! :-)
    Monica thanked Ro Ro
  • Monica
    Hi ladies, well he came home today and I am smitten... well and truly
  • Victoria
    Very cute :-)))
    Monica thanked Victoria
  • Ro Ro
    He is lovely!
    Monica thanked Ro Ro
  • Helen Jones
    He's gorgeous!! What is he? X
    Monica thanked Helen Jones
  • Monica
    Thank you everyone, Helen he is a cockapoo (stupid name but fab non shedding coats very smart and not to big dogs ) Day two and tonight he asked to go out for a wee wee, such a little star :)
  • Ro Ro
    Very clever. So half cocker spaniel / half poodle? Does he need regular trimming like poodles?
  • Helen Jones
    We have a cocker spaniel and it took her nearly a year to ask to go out for a wee (she's not the brightest spark but we love her to bits) he's gonna be a very clever boy!! I'm puppy broody again!! X
    Handmaiden Design
    He's lovely. Cockers have lovely temperaments. Ours is nearly ten now. Rain or shine we're out there in the field, thousands of pounds at the vets, hair balls like tumbleweed and that ubiquitous grubbiness everywhere but we wouldn't be without him for the world. Even the seven rescue cats quite like him. Ironically we'll never have a smart home with all these creatures but you have to get your priorities right in life, don't you?
    Handmaiden Design
    The cat police
  • Monica
    awww how very cute :), he is what is called within the industry a F1B cockapoo, an F1 is one cocker spaniel with one poodle, our Olly has more poodle in him because his mum an F1 cockapoo has been bread back with a poodle. However we decided on Olly as he has more cocker in him than his other brothers which all had tighter curlier coats. I we decided he chose us as is almost always the case with dogs :) Its a popular mix breed as they have the lovely temperament of the covers the brains of the poodles and lovely coats that don't shed which make them quite hypoallergenic. He is currently howling like a wolf :( but he is about to settle down, we had 3 hours last night :( wish me luck !!!
    Night night if you re in the right zone if not have a beautiful day :) Monica and Olly the Wolf a poo xx
  • Carolina
    He's adorable :-))

And look at those faces of Helen's and Handmaiden Design's pooches. High levels of cuddliness :-))
  • Helen Jones
    My other dog is a beagle :) here's a picture of her and them together
  • Carolina
    Aww :-)
  • Ro Ro
    Mefor, missing you and hope that you are OK when the imminent snow arrives... Warm thoughts!
  • Ro Ro
    Mefor! PS - I think I'll go with the F&B Pale Powder (or similar Annie Sloan 'Louis Blue' from the colour card not screenshot) that you suggested for the interior (way back). And French Linen with one part Old White (as you suggested) for the exterior. I've been through so many permutations mentally that I'm exhausted! May still explore wallpaper with the same blue but (as you suggested) a touch of metallic ink to catch the light!
    Thanks for your very helpful and useful input.
  • mefor
    Hi :))
    Looks like I missed a lot of notifications in my activity feed !!
    Look at all the lovely dogs, they're adorable

Love the sink, by the way, I saw that, but never commented on it. It's lovely, Monica

Hi Ro. All prepared and ready for the elements, still hope it won't be the 24" they think will arrive. We'll "hunker down" and eat cozy food and enjoy the fireplace in between trips to use the snow blower on the driveway. The long, long, long driveway that wraps around the house in a gigantic "U"
    We put in a whole house generator, thank goodness, so we will at least have power no matter what. The best investment after hurricane Sandy and another horrendous storm that wiped out power for days and days.
    I hope you're all settling down after the holidays and working on the home projects before it's garden weather!!!
  • mefor
    Ro, you're so welcome, it sounds like a beautiful combination. I'd love to see your wallpaper choices when you have them, might indeed be the way to go :)))
  • Ro Ro
    Mefor: Hi! Any views welcome!
    I've scoured the wallpapers online, received over a dozen samples today (but not yet any of the William Morris ones that I became drawn to) particularly this one from Morris V - 'Thistle' in Indigo and Linen:
    http://www.wallpapersales.co.uk/acatalog/info-12516.html#.VMks_WezU5s

Though this one, in the red, did stand out quite well: http://www.wallpaperdirect.com/products/duro/brunnsgatan/100693

Liked this the very best of what has come:
    http://www.wallpaperdirect.com/products/sanderson/primavera/71871

Sadly, the reflections in the glass in the doors do actually obscure most pattern visibility! So, I may POSSIBLY go back to 'Plan A: Painting the inside'. Der!
    ...Will still do the exteriors and shelves AS French Linen.
  • Ro Ro
    PS Primavera PR105 does have a lovely muted semi-matte gold in the big spaces.
  • Ro Ro
    Hello guys! Sold the house and in about a month we're off to live in Ireland ( Deo Volente). Big house with lots of land ...and lots to be done on both!
    I hope I have the courage to post a thread and be as open as dear Monica has been on this amazingly long thread that was a lot of fun on the way. Ciao ciao!
  • Carolina

Congratulations Ro Ro! Good luck with the move. Exciting :-)

• Monica

Hey guys <3 long time no see, sorry about that. Ro that's amazing news CONGRATULATIONS to you all and well wishes on your exciting new journey. I sure hope you will start a thread :).

As for ours we haven't done anything else to the place as little Olly has kept me so busy. But he is growing into a well behaved and rounded four legged citizen so all this time spent with him was worth it. Oh and he is more gorgeous by the day, four and a half month old now and I adore him. Gentle temperament, very loving, non shedding coat he is just perfection and well suited for us :). I hope you are all doing well. ((Hugs))

• Carolina

Olly is adorable. What a sweet little face, and yes, I know they keep you busy ;-)

Monica thanked Carolina
  • Ro Ro
    Thanks for your good wishes, guys. We shall (when the fat lady finally sings) be down in West Cork up on high ground a few miles inland from one of the many lovely sea inlets there, and where one main ancestral thread originates. Aw... lovely pic - Olly is a fabulous diversion - absolutely gorgeous, a living teddy bear! SO nice to 'hear your voices' again!
  • Carolina

Pics to share of your new house?

• Ro Ro
    Oops!
    Carolins I did just attach a pic but thought better of it as the Ireland end is not yet finalised because the sale here and purchase there need to be handled separately... Hence the 'Deo Volente' above... Will do so when we're moved in there - promise!
  • Monica
    Hellooooo everyone
  • Ro Ro
    Hello! :-)
  • Monica
    Hi lovely how you're doing? Have you moved yet?
  • Ro Ro
    Doing good, thanks, Monica. Moving at the end of June! Are these pics of your house? If so, funnily enough, I've been looking at similar panelling (mdf based) for our new hall! And had thought of painting a radiator cabinet black as the central focal point opposit the front door! Is it in the air or what! It's looking good, gal!
  • Monica
    How very exciting for you although I'm not envying the amount of hard work ahead of you.
    Yes we panelled the walls with MDF strips and after an insane amount of filling and sanding we painted it in Farrow and Ball Shaded white eggshell so that I won't have to paint it again for years LOL simply wash and go :)
    We still have to add some new skirting a and some architraves around the door frames
    My thoughts are either to paint the stairs white with the bannister black or shall I paint them all black or all white?
  • Ro Ro
    So funny! I'm planning to paint the bannister at the new house (TNH) black and am veering towards painting the treads and risers black too... I've been searching for images of black staircases on Houzz and putting them in my entrance hall ideabook. They are few and far between. In your case, I think, with your white walls, maybe the stairs white and the bannister black? (Assuming the white walls continue up the stair walls enabling the b/w contrast.) You've already put black firmly into the equation, adding some more may give more reason for the black rad cab. In my case, there is a very off-centre radiator that could so very easily have been directly opposite the front door in TNH which is rather annoying as it stuffs up the focal point. We are leaving here with every radiator covered with a cabinet - and going to TNH that has loads of radiators ...but no cabinets! Yes, the work ahead is daunting - especially since the area of Ireland we're going to is very basic and not full of DIY resources, etc. I keep thinking I'll paint TNH white - to make things simpler(!) But try as I may colour keeps wandering through my mind! Lovely to be in touch again!
    Monica thanked Ro Ro
  • Monica
    The door is painted in the same charcoal colour so the radiator cover won't be the only dark element in there. I guess the White stairs with black bannister might be the best solution, like you said it will carry the black without creating a too strong contrast. What about the wall with the bench? I went shopping in my house and popped it in there, I could reupholster the top or shall I go for a chair and a little table?
  • Monica
    Oh and my green fingers are not that bad, that poor plant got distressed after the move and it's now starting to recover
  • Ro Ro
    Ah! Yes, I see the charcoal colour more clearly now. It looks similar to Annie Sloan Graphite that I've successfully painted some pieces with - a good colour though I find her paint difficult to use (novice that I am with it!). It may be different in reality but in the under stairs photo the bench takes the eye downwards. Perhaps a chair and a small tall table there might be better and lift the eye upwards? I didn't notice any deficiencies in the plant but thought it looked peaceful and Zen-like with its tracery of leaves against the window. Beautifully shaped plant.
    Monica thanked Ro Ro
  • Monica

hello everyone, long time no chat. I keep looking for you all but do not seem to find where you're all chatting now a days? I need some help again from my stylish friends with my little downstairs loo. I feel I want to start a different design dillema as this thread is so long xx

• Monica

My loo dilemma is here ladies :) I would LOVE to see what you think??? mwah xx

http://www.houzz.com/discussions/3217235/our-little-downstairs-loo-needs-help#addAnswer

stovedesign

I build bespoke, here's a few ideas - stovedesign.com

Yasmina Kontiki

I love the space you have! At Kontiki we create vibrant and unique wall coverings which would totally compliment the grandeur of a room like yours!

Botanical Moon · More Info
    Botanical Moon · More Info

Black Oak Builders Ltd.

This room has so much potential! Some heavy, classy drapes would definitely add to the look!

• celerygirl

old post!