stellahome

Need help with choosing a colour for my living room

Stella Michael
9 years ago
I originally painted my walls white to provide an undercoat to the colour once I had decided how I was going to furnish the room. (they used to be a cold acid yellow)

I am fairly happy with my furnishings now but am a bit stuck on what colour to paint the walls. I love bright colours as you can see and several of my other rooms are painted in bold colours but because the furnishings are so bright I want a calmer balancing backdrop to this room but with some warmth and depth rather than magnolia-like ... but not too dark ... don't ask for much to I?

The first photo shows more or less how the room is now, the second one with the chair is with the old rug and fireplace not finished but wanted to include the chair, and paintings although they are in different places on the walls. There are no curtains/blinds yet which is fine, not sure if I will put any up, I like as much light as possible ... maybe something just to soften the lines.

I live in London but am Australian, maybe partly explaining the bold colours, they help offset the greyness of London a bit for me (relative to my home town of Sydney). The room gets the morning sun and is generally a bright enough room as it has 3 windows along the one wall as you can see.

Any ideas or specific colours most welcome! Thank you!

Comments (20)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.