emmelinewe

POLL: Tell us your Christmas style!

Emmeline Westin
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Our Christmas countdown has begun! To make the Christmas season even more festive, we thought we’d organise a competition for you all, with a fantastic prize - a luxurious Christmas hamper.

To enter, all you have to do is vote in the poll AND post a comment below with a description that encapsulates your Christmas style. A winner will be drawn at random. Terms and Conditions here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4hs78b61kheicy/UK%20Christmas%20competition%201%202014%20%281%29.docx?dl=0

The competition is now closed - thanks everyone for participating! It's been amazing getting a glimpse of your holiday styles.

Christmas Tree · More Info
Traditional
Eclectic
Rustic
All out!
All white
Minimal
Other - tell us!

Comments (68)

• Sophie Knott
    9 years ago
    I've got burlap ribbon on my tree instead of tinsel, but the tinsel is up at work!
  • shezzle
    9 years ago
    I love the red and white colour scheme which is what I tend to go for but it usually ends up with lots of other colours once the children have made all their wonderful decorations and pictures!
  • Related Discussions

POLL: Do you make your own Christmas wreaths?

Q

Comments (16)
    Living in the country, the wreath makes itself, almost, I usually make the framework from vines, either the exuberant Russian vine or as this year the ornamental grape "Brandt" which has a very stable structure. Both of these can be roughly braided and formed into a wreath. Leave them a week or two to rest and harden into a good circle. Next I stuff into it, a combination of greenery. Sometimes the silvery greys of the flower garden, or deep greens of the forest. Then I collect the charms of the hedgerow and vegetable garden, seed heads, of all sorts and sometimes a few faded hydrangea flowers. Long strands of Ivy are useful for binding everything in if you are not adding a string of lights. I enjoy filling out the wreath over a series of days or weather opportunities. Every year it is different and I love the way it reflects the recent growing season.
    ...See More

POLL: Has your style changed?

Q

Comments (12)
    Totally agree with Stebonheath. Our parents and grandparents had lots of things in their rooms; a hangover from the Victorian age. Today we demand brighter lighter interiors and large dark furniture and porcelein ladies are totally out of fashion. Whilst I am not a fan of totally open plan layouts, it does make rooms appear much larger than they are. My parents house faced a park with mature trees and we had lace curtains totally covering the windows then heavy lined velvet curtain on top, to be closed after dinner. My windows only have the light curtains closed when dark. It makes a huge difference.
    ...See More

PRO POLL: Tell us how you picked your company name!

Q

Comments (2)
    Hello Emmeline, Mine is partly my initials AJ and then what I do and how I do it. Interior design is as much about styling or style as it is design. The "Eye" is very much on the design of each product as well as how it goes together- focusing on client & space.... People come to me for my excellent taste! In turn it helps the client define theirs... Collaboratively... : ))
    ...See More

POLL: What type of decorations do you prefer on your Christmas tree?

Q

Comments (12)
    I'm with eimearcahill, there is absolutely NOTHING tasteful about my Christmas decorations, it's excess everywhere. I did suggest when my daughters both got to their twenties that I might scale things back a bit but, after a reaction that could have earned them a walk on part in The Grinch who Stole Christmas, I realised that it was obviously very important that I spent the best part of a day turning the house into Santa's grotto :D I now have a granddaughter so I am resigned to many more years to come....
    ...See More
  • Emmeline Westin
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So many lovely comments, I'm feeling so christmassy! Just a reminder for those who want to win the Fortnum and Mason hamper - you need to both vote AND post a comment to enter the prize draw! Good luck :)
  • alant1000
    9 years ago
    I've already added my style so I'm not wanting to cheat with an additional style comment - just a musical comment to say that when I am decorating the tree I have to listen to 'The Holly and the Ivy' and 'Away In A Manger'. Nothing gets me in the spirit more than these 2!
    Emmeline Westin thanked alant1000
  • bombel1972
    9 years ago
    where i grew up, every christmas morning, for several hours!, one of the tv stations would have the famous "yule log" (fake fireplace on your tv) and later watching "it's a wonderful life". that is christmas for me. my memories from childhood. now my new memory is my husband making me watch national lampoons christmas vacation.
  • tshidig14
    9 years ago
    Traditional Christmas style reminds me of my youth. I was always in charge of decorating the tree and then making waffles Christmas morning while we opened our presents. Such good memories.
  • jemlou85
    9 years ago
    Traditional, golds and reds with warm white lights! A garland around the fireplace with gold bows and lights, even a garland going up the staircase with lights on! I've grown up with traditional, lit up Christmases and am carrying it on with my own family!
  • Lucy Varnava
    9 years ago
    Traditional red and gold mixed with the vintage ornaments. I call it Country style ;)
  • peediewee
    9 years ago
    small tree, no tinsel with a few baubles. the star on top is pretty big though. and a few decorations round about.
  • joswen
    9 years ago
    tree with family decorations collected over the past 30 years, many made by people we care about, most have a story connected to them
  • pavinia
    9 years ago
    I feel no Christmas tree is truly complete without all the ugly falling apart homemade decorations from childhood!
  • slimberley
    9 years ago
    "Homemade" all the way. Anyone can go out and buy decorations (if they have pots of money) but you can't beat decorations that have been lovingly made on a shoestring. Just moved into a new home with our toddler so a home-sewn advent calendar, toddler-made tree decorations and a wool-wrapped polystyrene ball wreath are among the things I'm making this year. Can't wait to add to it over the coming years.
  • chalkandbell
    9 years ago
    Vintage, vintage, vintage! Lots of lovely old glass baubles collected over the years, never costing very much. And an Airfix angel atop the tree, lovely!
  • claret127
    9 years ago
    Blue and silver theme for me this year. Eclectic's probably the closest fit!
  • Laura
    9 years ago
    Definitely traditional and no tinsel. I think tinsel can look tacky. Also, it's got to be a real tree, fake ones just don't cut it for me!
  • bigredkate
    9 years ago
    No tree this year as we will be with son and daughter-in-law this Christmas. Just some minimal silver bells and silver ceramic stars here and there. Enough to remind us that Christmas is coming, but not a drama to put away.
  • Berta Cooper
    9 years ago
    Traditional brings a comfortable and warmth vibe to christmas
  • Abbie M
    9 years ago
    Traditional red and white with a huge 8ft tree in our childrens playroom. I now have an over excited 2year old running around the house!
  • Tricia Wilson
    9 years ago
    Anything goes here. The decorations range from ceiling to hearth place. Most of the decorations are smile worthy memories. From the children's time at nursery or school, items bought when off with friends catching up, the knitted snowmen my husband was given by his gran when he was little to the merry Christmas banner my daughter spent hours colouring about 12 years ago, and new pieces that gave me a grin moment while shopping. Nothing expensive just things to remember family and friends. Priceless memories.
  • Erica Foggett
    9 years ago
    I'm mixing it up this year, sparkly and classy in the dining room and letting the kids have a more fun influence on the tree.
  • Vicki Brown
    9 years ago
    Traditional. With the kids ... Trimming up, baking, wrapping gifts and curling up by the fire with a hot chocolate to share a Christmas story
  • Laura Wheat
    9 years ago
    I am quite fussy about our Christmas tree - both selecting the best one in the field where we buy them and decorating it. Each year I go for a different colour theme - nothing complicated I just leave some colours off. I try to buy a few new baubles each year. I especially love the Liberty Christmas room. I also think it looks lovely to bring in some foliage from the garden. I once made a wreath from scratch without even a ring but it was very hard work!
  • sandrahowe12
    9 years ago
    We love how the light dances off the Christmas tree decorations, the smell of spruce - loads of holly & ivy. We pretend we're in 'Whoville' - candles, open fires and twinkly lights.
  • lislondon
    9 years ago
    Being Danish, and though I have lived half my life in London, England, and now also in Provence, France, our Christmas traditions has never changed! Christmas starts with preparing the Advent candle decoration for the 1st Sunday in Advent, where we light the 1st candle! Then on 1st December all the Christmas decoration come out and generally the colours are a warm red, green, white and gold! Then the first Sunday in December (2nd Sunday in Advent) we have a house full of family and friends where we enjoy lots of Æbleskiver and gløgg (sort of mulled wine) and wish each other a Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year! We NEVER ever use the term 'Happy Holidays' it's always Happy Christmas! On 22 December we bring the tree inside, having bought a fresh tree some time before, and it's decorated in all the above mentioned colours, but first the George Jensen golden star goes on the top of the tree, never an angel (that is not the tradition in the Scandinavian countries)! We prepare lots of Danish marzipan, nougat, chocolate, nuts small things to eat (difficult to explain, but they are delicious) so these are ready for after the presents have been given on the 24th along with fruit, nibbles, coffee and drinks! Then on the 24 December we celebrate the Danish Christmas by first going to the Danish Church mid afternoon, then home to cook our Christmas Dinner, which tends to be pork with crackling or goose. Wonderful rice pudding with a warm cherry sauce is served afterward, and whoever gets the whole almond, gets the 'chocolate' present. As kids we all fought over this! Then we light all the candles on the tree, dance around the tree singing Christmas carols/hymns, then we give each other the presents and leave some for the next day, often this job is done by the youngest person in the family! On the 25th have brunch at 11.00 with friends ie Eggs Benedict or similar with some champagne and/or bucks fizz. Then when they have gone we'll exchange the rest of our small presents. We'll go to the pub to wish people a Happy Christmas, then return home to cook the turkey! We always cook Nigella Lawson's Christmas turkey as it's delicious and sooo moist, think about how lucky we are to be able to celebrate not one but two Christmases in such beautiful surroundings, as so many are not! This year is going to be very special as we'll collect our little Golden Retriever puppy Max on the 23rd...yes, it is going to be very special indeed! Happy Christmas everybody... :)
  • Natalie Gray
    9 years ago
    Traditional with a Scottish twist... Love a bit of tartan
  • cinderellaslipper
    9 years ago
    This year it's frosted white, silver,pale gold,& chartreuse green themed with birds, musical instruments & cherubs on a traditional snowy, pine cone tree,, table setting & over mantle, all to match my new sophisticated/shabby chic country house decor.
  • breda44
    9 years ago
    This picture finds me dreaming,
    - ten stockings in a row.
    -tinsel, garlands, holly and candles all aglow.
    -Knitted wooly gloves and scarves we trooped the Woodland trail
    - and trudged the distance home again the fattest Spruce to gain.
    - Ten noses red and frosty, in flimsy cardboard boots,
    - we tied our 'home-made' woody bits on tree from tip to root,
    - And the smell of pine and turkey still permeates this Ole Houzz! !
  • PRO
    Mini Maison
    9 years ago
    My Christmas style is ever changing but always a real, sustainably-sourced tree in the living room in a more traditional style (this year we've gone gold, white and silver, last year was Scandi) and more quirky pieces dotted around the rest of the house so it feels like Christmas even when you leave the main living area.
  • Wibb Masterson
    9 years ago
    "Personal" (other) all my baubles come from somewhere we have visited or were a gift so Christmas isn't just about Christmas it's about all those memories too
  • Dawn Ea Walsh Shotton
    9 years ago
    Christmas is about family. friends.neighbourhood you name n its more than likely everyone's thought about...but for me IRS about the tree n decorations then sat knitting socks n making gifts n jazzing the home up for the kids to join in and help bake n make.... fun fun fun sharing caring being happy its the best time every one has special memories.....
  • douphouse
    9 years ago
    A bit of gaudy mess really - dragging out the same ornaments for the brown tinsel tree (I wanted black but couldn't find it that year) some bought and some made - still trying to find something for the top of the tree.
  • Leam Williams
    9 years ago
    Celebrating the heavens, referencing stars the moon, planets and beyond. Using metallics blacks, greys, midnight blues and white. Nodding towards mankind's relationship with the sky and the stories it tells us.
  • Katie Sullivan
    9 years ago
    Definitely traditional for me.. Lots of white lights, a blazing fire and family and friends around... Throw in good food and good wine and it doesn't get much better than that! X
  • PRO
    Julie Sheldon
    9 years ago
    Traditional. The warm and inviting presence that this time brings and a time when everyone becomes friendlier and smiles.
    My husband and I choose one new decoration a year since we've been together and it's so lovely to remember each one when we place it on our tree. Putting our tree up is a family affair we pick our tree together, then we have a glass of sherry mince pies and clotted cream I wear a Santa hat and our two dogs wear their reindeer antlers while a good Christmas feel good movie will be on while decorating the tree.
    Some things in life have to stay traditional. The only thing I will say I do like to have the odd twist here and there this year it is old tin cans transformed into Christmas pots that I display in a row of three.
    And this year my stepdaughters Gingerbread house will be pride of place on the table as well.
    Happy Christmas everyone.
  • elancaster12
    9 years ago
    We don't go crazy with decorations, but create an environment for ourselves, family and friends that, we hope, makes it clear we treasure them and want to provide a welcoming place for us all to be together. We moved this summer to a small village about 90 minutes from Toronto and so have many visitors come and go throughout December.
    Our tree has ornaments from places we've visited and one of the great pleasures of decorating it each year is recalling the various trips or events where they were purchased. These along with a few ornaments from childhood and ones my daughter made make our tree special to us.
    In the last house I lived in before meeting my husband, the previous owner left behind vintage mason jars in the pantry. We fill some of these with treats and place a few in each of the kitchen, dining room and guest rooms.
    My husband and I eat a whole food plant-based diet so we regularly bake. The cookie jar and/or cake stand stays well filled these days and the big kitchen scale is always topped up with clementines. Christmas books collected when my daughter was small sit in a basket, the wooden advent calendar is primed with chocolates and cozy blankets on the couches and window seat are there for snuggling with a cup of tea or glass of wine in hand. There are evergreens on the mantles and, because our children are grown, the stockings are hung over the fireplace in our bedroom. What we hope all of it says is we love you and want you to feel at home, cared for, and know how delighted we are that you are here.
  • kabax
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    A contemporary gold tree shape and sparkling green wreath greet you on the front door,
    Dark green holly and pine garlands are wrapped up and down the stair's bannister rails,
    With mixed contemporary gold and jewel colours in the hallway,
    White, silver and crystal decorate the lounge,
    Burnished gold decorations and cream velvet santas in the dining room,
    And,
    Red and traditional Santa in the conservatory.
    That's how we do it, in our home.
  • Siobhan Lynam
    9 years ago
    Lots of lights !!!!!
    Merry Christmas
  • nudejude
    9 years ago
    My style is definitely woodland rustic these days, having been through the colours and everything mismatched in our younger days, mainly due to lack of cash and the need to display children's Christmas makes, I can now sit back and revel in a neutral room with lots of fresh greenery, and have my tree decorated with plain white lights, birds, owls, nesting boxes etc. A few lovely lit white candles and I'm as happy as can be.
  • bbhoose
    9 years ago
    A gorgeous real Christmas tree that fills the room with wonderful woodland aromas; hand painted personal baubles with the names of my children, nieces and nephew; beautiful decorations made by my nursery age children who have now grown into teenagers and give me such a strange look every time I carefully unwrap their lovingly made works of art; and finally some twinkling, inherited Angel decorations that keep us safe and remind me of those who loved and looked after us.
  • myperfectadvice
    9 years ago
    real tree
    new ornaments and decorations
  • Trisha Goodwin
    8 years ago

I personally don't like Christmas decorations that clash with the colors already in a room, unless of course you've got loads of children visiting or living there, when you are allowed to have anything! Sadly, I don't have children, grandchildren or nieces and nephews, so Christmas, in order to make it less painful, is a grown up affair. I can't believe I am the only mature married lady who feels like this? But is my way of getting through, with friends, what is a difficult season to handle each year. So - as my living room fabric is mid century Scandi style with deep heather, chartreuse and pink on a linen colored background, I do the natural look, lots of off white and silver, with natural materials and a bit rustic, scandi looking, I also have Finnish inlaws so have come to love this style. I also like to have a small wooden crib somewhere (have all my married life) so as to remember what the real meaning of Christmas is about, amid all the glitter and glitz.

• lislondon
    8 years ago

Being Danish, but having lived in the UK for many many years, and now living and running a small B&B in beautiful Provence, France - we have always celebrated the 24th December Danish style and the 25th English style, so getting the best of both worlds!

On The 1st of December our house will be ready and decorated in many delicate, often handmade, bought or made by me, decorations. Flickering candles everywhere.

On the first Sunday in December, ie the 2nd Sunday in advent, in the afternoon...until often late, our house would be full of friends and family, young and old, for our traditional Danish Gløgg Party, where everybody brings a little red Wine (for har gløgg) and a little something yo eat. We would make lots if gløgg and lots og æbleskiver, the twi bring served in private or in public places all over Denmark from the 1st of December!

The tree itself will always be a real one, you will never ever find an artificial in any colour in our house! We get the fresh tree inside normally on the 22nd December, and it is decorated firstly by putting the brass George Jensen star on the top (always a star never an Angel), then the strings of warm white electric lights are spread around the tree. Then the serious decorating of the tree takes place, often accompanied by us eating some of the Danish Christmas nibbles I have made and drinking some Gløgg.

The tree dekorations are all in gold, white, red and green. It takes quite some time to decorate, and finsly we hang the candle holders safely and not below any decorations, as c60 live candles are lit on Christmas Eve after our traditional Danish Christmas dinner and as we sit down around the beautiful tree and just before we open most of our presents.

We open the rest of our presents just a few, sometime in the morning on the 25th either before or after a very nice brunch! The live candles are all safe as the tree is fresh, and because of the design of the Danish candle tree holders, and it us soooo beautiful, and we would absolutely have it any other way!

On the 6th January sadly like all good things, the decorations cone down...and Christmas is another c 11 months away, and we'll do it all over again!

Hope you all have a blessed, nice and quiet Christmas, and how lucky those if us are, who can say just that, and for us this will be our first proper Christmas in la belle Provence, and our Gløgg Party has moved to just before Christmas for varietes reasons! ;)

• susannacallaghan
    8 years ago

I love everything about a traditional Christmas.

• User
    8 years ago

Traditional all the way. Happy Christmas!

• gilliifer
    8 years ago

Not sure I have a style. Quite like fairy lights. Unlike most people I leave it as long as possible to put them up, and cant wait to put them away.

• Heidi Cullen
    7 years ago

Don't celebrate Christmas myself but love all the lights and decor I see around.

• monochromegeometry
    7 years ago

Art Deco

• PRO
    Mid-Century Online
    7 years ago

The eclectic style feels so much more personal to me and has a serenity that I find very appealing.

• teenytinyhouse
    5 years ago

Where was the "tinsel vomited on my house" option? To be fair, most of my decorations are fairly traditional, and from a distance it all looks pretty classic and victorian/traditional with a modern flavour but, when you look closer at the tree, hiding among the nutcrackers and fairy lights, you see the death star bauble, the glittery pink skull, the hand blown gold "rubber" duck, and the glittery, feathered and sequinned flamingo.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.