karolinabarnes

How to save on lighting

Karolina Barnes
9 years ago
I don’t know about you but with the shortest day of the year approaching fast I’ve noticed that we have our lights on from around mid afternoon into late night, if I have to work. So our lights are on for almost half a day. Plus with Christmas on top we have more lighting on than usual.

So I’ve teamed up with Tom from Direct Trade Supplies and basically asked him to give me reasons why and how we can all save some money on electricity/lighting and feel good about it all because it’s “eco-friendly” too.

Over to you Tom. I’ll be back at the end of this post with my thoughts so read on.

False economy
With the cost of living pinching people across the board, it’s no wonder that homeowners are trying to find new ways to save a bit of money. Yet lighting is a precarious and sometimes misunderstood subject, there’s this common perception that buying the cheapest light bulbs available is the best way to save you money, which in that instant obviously will do, yet in the long run buying cheap isn’t going to do you favours.

You should always consider the maintenance costs attached to lighting, we’ve all had those moments when you go to turn on the lights and the bulb blows, sometimes even spookily pre-empting it, but if this happens every other week you need to question how these lightbulbs are benefiting your home. You can have the lowest priced light bulbs in the world but if you’re constantly replacing them with new ones, their attractive affordability soon gets dashed.

Pay more now for less in future
Although initially you may be put off by the higher price tag that comes with midrange to high end bulb types, more often than not it’s these models that turn out to be the most cost effective. This kind of thinking can be applied to most things, if you need to buy paint for the family living room then buying cheap will leave your walls more susceptible to peeling, damage or colour defects; even if it isn’t necessarily noticeable straight after implementing.

If you need a light bulb to power a rarely used outdoor garden toilet, then fair enough a cheap bulb may just do the trick, but lighting up a busy family home or office, where lights are often turned on and off, energy efficient bulbs are definitely the way to go. Energy saving lamps such as LEDs possess a significantly greater lifespan than regular bulbs, the average LED lightbulb contains a lifetime ranging from 10,000 – 20,000 hours, that’s over years worth of power without disruption.

Read the full article http://karolinabarnes.co.uk/blog/save-lighting/

Comment (1)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.