jonlei

What do I need for a "finished" look in guest bedroom?

Donna Cheek
9 years ago
I need help with the walls in this small guest bedroom. I cannot rearrange the furniture because bed cannot be turned any other way if we are to be able to enter the room. The wall with the mirror is too bare. I don't like to hang pictures just for the sake of having them hang on the wall in empty spaces. Sconces? Anything i need to do to make the room have that "finished" look? I don't want to change the mirror because my parents bought it when we lived in Germany many years ago. Although it is hard to see, the current picture frames are gold-toned. The plates above the bed were my mother's, so I want those to stay in the room, also.

Comments (180)

• Lainie D'Eon
    9 years ago
    Oh, crappy. Hate when that happens. I have done a lot of painting in the past & like you cannot bear to see the touch up spots ... would rather paint the whole wall!
  • Donna Cheek
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Lainie, I paint the entire wall, too! Drives me crazy that I am picky.
  • Related Discussions

Small guest bedroom

Q

Comments (15)
    Hi James, Here are a few our sample swatches of prints that would look great in your room. Having looked at your window and sofa bed I would suggest one of the following options; First of all our award winning Bloc Fabric Changer Roller Blind [our unique design allows you to clip on and clip off so that you can change your look in an instant without changing the mechanism.] Secondly if you desire total black out in your bedroom our Bloc Out Blinds offer total darkness, unrivaled by other blind designs currently on the market with the added bonus of increased heat retention. Good Luck! Sile
    ...See More

Curtains for guest bedroom

Q

Comments (13)
    I like both of Carolina's choices, they appear to be linen which I'd also go for. i was looking for a close up of the colours of your wallpaper and came across this ready made moodboard! I also like the idea of a ticking stripe and the sand fabric (on their website it's shown as mustard) is quite nice for cushions. Forgot to say the room looks lovely and very calm :)
    ...See More

Ideas for office/guest bedroom

Q

Comments (14)
    I think you're right about having the desk adjacent to the window it will be much brighter there. Alternatively it could go next to the door which would still be brighter than where it was. We have started to have a look at sofa beds and I guess I will need to go to a few stores to see if any are actually comfy. I have slept on some terrible ones in the past. Built in storage is an interesting idea but it may be out of our budget given the high ceilings and cost of tradesmen around here.
    ...See More

Ideas for guest bedroom

Q

Comments (22)
    The book case could work well at the foot of the bed, but I would pare down the contents so it's not so crowded. We all love looking at those bedrooms with beds that look so snuggly - so a thought could be to plump up the bed clothes. When buying doona, douvets or whatever, purchase a size bigger than the bed - double bed, queen size doona, or even a king size over a double. That will give plenty of drape over the sides. Some texture could be good, notice Sonia's pics show lots of varying texture? The throw blanket could be a deeper mauve, pink in a big knit or a soft velvety mink. You could pick up a richer blue or again the mauve in an extra pillow or two. The pillows could be in different lofts (ie side sleeper, back sleeper, firm, soft etc) which would give guests a pillow choice. These sort of extras don't need to be expensive, so keep an eye on the bargain sales! I would suggest staying with material lamp shades to keep softness in the room. Wood side tables will be enough of the natural element. As there is a lot of wall space and it sounds like it might take some convincing to get art onto the walls, tall bedside lamps would help fill the wall space along with the headboard. The best height to go for would be a lamp which illuminates down onto the bed so reading would be comfortable. So it might even be higher than the bed head you are thinking of. Again, they don't have to be expensive - just make sure they meet the height needed.
    ...See More
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9 years ago
    Me too .. just can't help being "picky" ... tried not to .. didn't work!
  • Cindy Dunn
    9 years ago
    I still think that the new lamp and other accessories on you chest are too large for the chest. A larger chest would look better and use the old chest as a nightstand on the side of the bed where the chair is. The chair might be better in another location and include a small pillow in it or a throw on it. If you leave the current chest and mirror where they are, that wall needs more on either side of the mirror. Art that creates a rectangular overall shape on both sides. The mirror is almost too large for the chest and with the large accessories, they are over powering the entire area. Maybe some books with a small box or interesting object or two on top would be better suited for this space.
  • Diane Kaskel
    9 years ago
    Donna, I really like how the shelf & plates look now in addition to way you have the area under the mirror fixed with the plant & plate. I truly think you are on the right track with all you are doing but listen to your heart with the items you place in your special room. A lot of times you can "shop your own home" for items that you wouldn't have thought of or didn't remember you had so keep that in mind. Also don't rush---take your time till you find something that you feel will be just right. I know sometimes we just want to finish decorating but often it is the "thrill of the hunt" in finding or doing what will be pleasing to you & others who will enjoy the space. We treasure a lot of things from family, friends or items we have found through the years. This year we built & moved to a smaller home so we had to downsize a LOT of stuff. With some help from a decorator who understood our "eclectic" taste & desire to incorporate some of our treasures in our new home as well as our daughter, daughter-in-law & even myself, our home is very pleasing & comfortable with many things I never expected we would be able to keep or have displayed throughout our home. Some things were placed in multiples or rooms that I never would have thought to put them but they just fit in beautifully, So good luck & sometimes go for the unexpected.
  • Donna Cheek
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Diane, thank you for your encouraging words!
  • 3517carol
    9 years ago
    Donna - the last pic of your dresser w/airy plant on it looks like it all belongs together. The light, airy plant makes the mirror and lamp work smoothly together and not so heavy or busy. How nice of you to keep this room full of family memories, would make any heart smile.
  • Donna Cheek
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    3517carol, thank you so much!
  • Linda Stiles
    9 years ago
    Too many little things. Remove the little plates over the bed and go with 1 large picture. I think because the room is small a few larger accent pieces would be better than lots of small things. Remove the items from the dresser add a tray raise the mirror. May also look at adding a glaze to tone down the gold on the mirror.
  • debzu
    9 years ago
    Don't be afraid to stagger artwork, it's not just for stairwells. But there is an esthetic way to do this. It's s a great solution when you have a group of prints that aren’t necessarily the same but share at least one similar element, such as subject matter or color scheme. You can asymmetrically arrange the pieces so that they still achieve a nice ‘organic’ balance.

If you have two larger pieces, try staggering them by hanging one lower than the other, so that top and bottom don’t match.

Grouping larger and smaller pieces helps to create interest and energy. The same is true for vertical and horizontal pieces in the same grouping.
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    This is coming along great.
  • bsmith7306
    9 years ago
    Dresser is to busy less is more eye catching,
  • rababar
    9 years ago
    Great-- Where do we make our reservations??? :)
  • jsmalley7
    9 years ago
    The chest in the first picture needs to larger. Add a blue vase similar to the ball in color. Send the dogs to another room. Every thing else looks good to me. I like the color of the walls and the pink.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I think the new paint will make the space! Maybe you just got an "assist" when the picture fell!
  • Donna Cheek
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Rababar, thank you! The name of our place is "Designed by Houzzers". LOL

@decoenthusiaste, that is exactly what I said! That was just the push I needed. Hubby and I were talking about it about two minutes ago! I'm glad I've got paint color suggestions! I will have to google Farrow and Ball. I don't know who sells that brand near us. What do you think about painting just the one wall (the one headboard is on)? We just had entire house painted this past April? Walls are BM Everlasting for bedrooms and bathrooms and all others are BM Muslin, a shade lighter on the color strip.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    You could start with that wall. My concern is that the other walls have too much of a peachy cast to them for the red/pink toile. Of course, you're there in person and it may be a distortion of the computer screen that makes me see it as a bit on the orange side.
  • Leigh Kenney
    9 years ago
    I would add a few white Mongolian Faux Fur pillows..... Sweet touch
  • Leigh Kenney
    9 years ago
    I love mine in every room
  • Donna Cheek
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    There is no peachy cast to the walls. It could be the computer:)
  • Lynnie
    9 years ago
    I like the plant. Just my 2 cents, but I still like the plates about your bed and in a similar pattern to the 2012 Home Tour I posted before. I know you have a couple green plates, so if it were me, I would add a few other plates along side what you have that have color in them. Would be more artistic than a painting and give that cozy feel. I think the shelf is restricking the whole look of the plates.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/2012-home-tour-traditional-bedroom-philadelphia-phvw-vp~556373

Dining Room · More Info
  • Donna Cheek
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I am going to put a wall sconce on each of the two walls on each side of the window. The flower prints will be vertically stacked over the chair. What do you think about these styles? Would another style look better?
  • msplankton
    9 years ago
    love the changes you are suggesting! i would choose the narrowest, for what it's worth.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Everything in your room speaks of French country formality, and then there is the sort of shabby chic looking white shelf which goes against the grain. I'd like to see the stacked prints replace the shelf and the plates hang directly on the wall, similar to the arrangement you originally had above the bed, but maybe on another wall. Your two lamps are formal enough to work with the furniture and the toile. The sconce on the right picks up on the formal candelabra lamp from the chest so I prefer it. Have you considered moving the nesting tables to the other side of the bed so the chair has a place to put down a book? Would that wall be too crowded or can the chest and mirror go elsewhere?
  • Donna Cheek
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @decoenthusiaste, first I am totally honored that you are commenting on my dilemma. I have seen your comments on many others. Thank you. Okay, first, I can't put nesting tables with the chair-not enough room at all. There is only about three feet between chair and chest now. There is equal amount of space on each side of bed. Should I swap the sides the chair and tables are each on? I didn't even think about shelf as a different style (that's only one of the reasons I need help). Because of the large holes in the wall (from the mounting bracket), is there something else other removing it from the room? Could I add plates around it maybe? I am attaching a close up of the shelf.
  • PRO
    Rob's renovations
    9 years ago
    The mirror is good vanity hight hang some pictures to each side if it's guest room maybe some old family pics or some local art
  • judygilpin
    9 years ago
    Donna, I suggested before that the chest should be switched out for a longer one, but it seems that is not an option. I still think you should move the chest down a few inches and place the chair on the opposite side of the chest. The chair being in the corner where it is seems to make that space look very crowded making it difficult for a person to get out of bed. I don't really see anything wrong with the shelf, however , now if you flip flop the chair and dresser as I suggested, it may have to be moved. I know patching holes in the wall tends to be problematic, but that's what spackle is for. Good luck.
  • Rosanne
    9 years ago
    Can you take a full wall photo of the window wall?
  • judygilpin
    9 years ago
    rosebud3, Why? It's probably a 12x14 guest room. Think way too many people are being picky. I actually think Donna did a good job and just needed a couple of tweeks. Donna, don't think you need the sconces...leave the pictures where they were on both sides of the window. Just switch the chair to the other side of the chest and all is well. Send the final photo and get rid of all of us. Use your best judgement . After all, it's only a bedroom.Good Luck.
  • Donna Cheek
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Attached some pictures. One is wall to right of chest to show chair can't go there because of door opening into bedroom. I also did closet wall on which you can see door into bedroom opens there, also. I did full window wall where I want sconces. And I moved pictures. Have not painted yet ( you can probably see scuff mark beside picture from it sliding the other day). My paint looks so different on here than it actually is. I love all of the ideas I have gotten! Thank y'all so, so much!
  • Donna Cheek
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Forgot this one. There are other small things I will do after I paint. I think I need small picture between shelf and chest or on each side of mirror. Will have to see what it needs.
  • judygilpin
    9 years ago
    Donna, I'm signing out. I think you are doing a great job and could have left it the way you originally put it together without all of the input. Sometimes too many cooks spoil the stew. I'm sure your guests will enjoy no matter what.
  • Donna Cheek
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Judygilpin, thank you for taking the time to comment! I know there are dilemmas I want to comment on quite often, but I just don't slow down to do it. I really appreciate yours and all the others. I am becoming much happier with the room. I now have one more guest room to work on. Sigh!!!
  • outshopping422
    9 years ago
    Hi Donna. I love the toile!!! Please don't get rid of any of it...if anything add more!!! If French
    country is the look you were going for, you are doing great. I realize I coming in late in the
    game but I really liked the plates over the bed...it seemed very french country.
  • outshopping422
    9 years ago
    PS if you move the plates back over the bed...what do you think of putting the pictures on either side of the pretty mirror. It will fill up your wall nicely.
  • Lynnie
    9 years ago
    Donna Cheek I love your idea of the sconces. I espically like the first one and would suggest using two of those because the second one is quite different. This is all I have to say for now. :)
  • Donna Cheek
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Outshopping422, since I have to repaint the room, I will get husband to help me hold pictures on each side of mirror to see how it looks. Thank you very much:)
  • Donna Cheek
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We tried to hold the mirrors on each side of the mirror. Although it looks as if there is enough room by looking at the photos of that wall, the pictures are too wide. On the wall to the left of the mirror, there isn't enough room between the shelf and the mirror to hang the picture. There is not even enough space for the picture to squeeze in and lie flat against the wall.
  • Donna Cheek
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I meant to say, the pictures, not the mirrors in first sentence.
  • outshopping422
    9 years ago
    Oh I meant to put pics there if you put the plates back over the bed and the shelf wasnt there...sorry for the confusion.
  • Diane Kaskel
    9 years ago
    Donna, the head of your bed is tall so you really don't need anything above it. Sometimes less is more. In looking back at your photos, I think your pictures on each side of the window as you originally had them is where they should go & would balance the room. Why not rest a while & let yourself get used to what you have done so far? You have had tons of suggestions so your head has to be spinning with all the information.
  • PRO
    DaVill Blinds
    9 years ago
    Might I suggest a guest ;-p
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    Donna, I loved your room as originally posted except for the black cover on the bed. The Foo dogs are probably Staffordshire china, you could check the marks on the bottom. Keep them, for sure. And as much as I dislike everyone on Houzz recommending BM Revere Pewter, this is one time I would agree. The gray would tie in the gray borders of your curtains, and provide a cooling influence on all the red. The beige paint just doesn't do it for me. The gray will have a nice contrast with the white woodwork, too. You could put a tester curtain over the head of the bed instead of pictures, but I would do it out of a red ticking fabric, as you have plenty of toile in the room. For a throw at the foot of the bed, a soft woolen plaid throw would be nice if it was gray with red plaid, such as a tattersall.
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    Those above are from Pendleton Woolen Mills
  • laceandroses
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Donna, I love your room and all the suggestion so far. My question is this, how big is that room? Where is the closet? is it a single door or a slider? I'm in the very beginning of doing a guest room, and the room is very small, looks about the same size as yours

• laceandroses
    8 years ago

I forgot, in a small room there's no room for furniture to fill up the blank walls, I'm considering putting moulding up the bottom part of the wall in white. So it doesn't look so bare.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

I've read a little bit, and wondered how your house is going and the other guest room...

• Donna Cheek
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I have worked on it and did find a way to rearrange the furniture. I like it so much better. I am now trying to decide if I want a small floor lamp beside the bed or a small lamp on the chest (which is now the "night stand". I need to be sure because I could open a lamp shop with all the lamps I've bought and am not using (no, none of them are what I want for that bedroom). I put shams behind the pillows and left the drapes and black foot cover on the bed. I removed the Staffordshire dogs. I will post picture when I get home later this afternoon. I also have worked on guest room. Will post that pic, also. One thing I did that I did not ask advice about (hope that wasn't a mistake) was to have a leopard runner laid on my stairs. I have attached a pic of that. Am also having some things done in kitchen I would like to ask about.
  • everdebz
    8 years ago

You wild. :)

• happyleg
    8 years ago

It is lovely!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.