stottwasson

Looking for ideas to modernise the front of my house

B+S Home
11 years ago
Hello, I am just looking for some inspiration to spruce of the front of the house.

I am thinking of converting the garage to a more usable living area, such as utility / study / shower room. The only limitation I have here is that the ceiling is pretty low inside, so will need to somehow make sure that there is plenty of light coming in from the front, maybe also some roof lights or similar (except I wouldn't like to be able to see the roof light domes from the road as I think it looks messy).
I am looking for ideas to block in the existing garage door and replace with a large window of some description. It will still be obvious that there used to be a garage door there though, so I was wondering if I should somehow make a feature out of it - although am a bit stuck for ideas!

The other thing I was thinking of doing was to bring the existing front door out to the front line of the porch. This would give room to make a fairly thin corridor through to the side of the garage (which at the moment only has access from the front)

I also don't generally like flat roofs so that was the other idea I was toying with.

Lastly on the side of the house I was thinking of installing a wide landscape type window on the first floor to give lots of light into the bedroom. There are beautiful views onto the sea from the existing front and side proposed window and I want to maximise this as much as possible.

Be very grateful for any further ideas.

Many thanks!

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.