webuser_917976596

1979 ensuite updated to 2019

Barbara Robbins
4 years ago

Small spaces are often harder to refurbish when you want to create a modern country feel without it looking clutteted. Job done.

Comments (19)

• Sonia
    4 years ago

At least the shower head won’t bang you on the head anymore! Lovely refurb especially the dark wood vanity unit. Love the wall colour, warm and cosy. What is it please?

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Wow well done!

• Alix W
    4 years ago
    Looks gorgeous. Particularly love the chest of drawers vanity (and always love a charity shop bargain, too!).
  • Barbara Robbins
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Just remember to measure the ceiling if you choose a 4 section shower screen! As you can see I forgot to take into account the beam. You can't cut glass once it has been strengthened. Who knew?!
  • Jemma Todd
    4 years ago
    Looks lovely, where is your shower screen from please?
  • Barbara Robbins
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Hi Gemma, I'll have to look it up as I bought it weeks before we started.
  • Sam Potter
    4 years ago
    Any tips for a first time diy bathroom renovator? I'm doing mine this year and it's a bit daunting.
  • Barbara Robbins
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Hi Sam, my best advice is to try and leave the toilet, basin and bath or shower in same place as re routing pipes is time consuming and expensive. Avoid porcelain floor tiles, even with underfloor heating ours are very cold underfoot. Buy the best extractor fan that has high suction to avoid tiles, mirrors windows etc dripping with condensation after a shower or bath. On a positive note, house plants thrive in a steamy atmosphere!
    Lastly enjoy redesigning your space, there is so much advice & inspiration out there nowadays!
  • Sam Potter
    4 years ago
    Thanks Barbara! I've already had the extractor fan and central light fitting installed as the house had a full rewire. Everything else is coming out. The tip about floor tiles is a good one. I'm thinking of going with vinyl, either old school on a roll stuff or tiles/fake wood boards. How long did it take? And did you buy everything at once or phase the purchases with the work? Also did you do the flooring first then install toilet/bath etc, or does the flooring go in last?
  • Barbara Robbins
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Hi Jemma, the shower screen was from Frontline Bathrooms found on the net and supplied by Koncepta Ltd model ref BE611629. There is also a 3 screen version.
  • PRO
    Verity & Beverley Ltd
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

That's a shame about the screen, but good advice to always double check measurements! Could you take out the third panel of the screen and then re fit the fourth (end panel) back on? This would then give you a three panel screen that would fit.

• Barbara Robbins
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Hi Sam, yes click wood or tile flooring is warmer under foot and there are some very good realistic effects on the market. Just ensure you have a totally level floor before installation and buy the ones especially for bathrooms as the damp atmosphere alone can make them lift and warp. We bought lots of bits in the January sales and used pricespy to put a watch on anything we liked before buying to try and keep in budget. We bought our basin taps direct from China via eBay at a fraction of cost for same in UK..
    The floor goes down last.
  • Barbara Robbins
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Hi Verity, we need the full 4 screens as just 3 means spray from the shower would go all over the floor unless you stand squished up right at the far end of the bath, which is what I am having to do currently! It's still a lovely shower though!
  • PRO
    Verity & Beverley Ltd
    4 years ago

Ohh sorry, from looking at your photograph it looked like the forth screen was folded back and not doing much. It does look so much better than before!

• PRO
    Brandler London
    4 years ago

Personally I would have located the secondary shower head underneath the main shower head on the entrance door wall. The location, as shown in your photo, in the middle of the bath may prove to be a little awkward.

I love your wash hand basin unit which is a great example of upcycling existing furniture and it is dramatic against the pale colours in the room.

• Barbara Robbins
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Hi Brandler, we deliberately chose central taps as it is a whirlpool bath and we enjoy a soak together after a long day. Hence the shower being put in the middle. This is not our main bathroom but will become a guest suite. The shower position is perfect once I have the 4th screen made to size. We will have a mega shower room at some point!
  • PRO
    Gravel Hill Lighting
    4 years ago
    Barbara, what an amazing transformation! Lovely room now, you must be really enjoying it.
  • PRO
    Hampstead Design Hub
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Barbara! Great before and after shots. You've made the space lovely and light.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.