mishmashe

How can we improve our bedroom

mishmashe
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Hello, I'm after a bit of advise on how to finish our bedroom please!

It's all fairly new so not looking to change too much... can't get rid of the wallpaper or furniture, lamps, or mirrors behind bedside tables. I don't want to add splashes of colour either (unless you think it looks awful as it is) - I deliberately went for very light tones of greys, whites, and creams and I love the restful feel it gives the room. I'm not an easy customer, am I? ;)

The long black-framed mirror can go if it looks bad - but can stay otherwise as I use it daily. Not sure about the chest of drawers either. Good amount of storage in there though...

My main problem with it is the area on top of the chest of drawers - it looks untidy with little bits everywhere which I don't like. Should I clear that all off and just put a simple dressing table mirror there? Is there anything else I should do to make it look more "finished", or is it nearly there? Thanks.

Comments (40)

• mishmashe
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    One last picture
  • myperfectadvice
    9 years ago
    I think you need more cushions and a throw on the bed,
    And maybe a light grey floor rug?
  • Related Discussions

How can we improve the look of our dormer?

Q

Comments (3)
    If you painted the windows, soffit boards and soil pipe black and replaced the guttering with black guttering you would find it became a lot less visually dominant as it would blend into the roof more rather than fight against it. If you really wanted to go for it you could make the flat roof into a shallow pitch using the same tiles as existing, this would make it look more like it was a designed dormer. What would also help to focus attention away fro the dormer would be to build a small open porch to the front door using a pitch roof going the other way to the main house (like the garage behind the house). This would draw the eye to the front door rather than the eye wandering over the blank expanse which is the front of the house at present with no focus. Hope that helps!
    ...See More

How can we improve our lounge?

Q

Comments (12)
    I'm not sure making the fireplace look heavier would be a good idea. However rather than fight the off centre I would work with it. Possibly wall hang the TV to the right of the fireplace it looks as if that would make it quite good for viewing from the sofa. Get a bigger rug which would still be off centred but would pull in/integrate the soa area more. I wouldn't put the TV in front of the window as the blockage of the view could feel negative and if the sun shines through during the day difficult to see TV without drawing curtains. What about a mirror above the fireplace you seem to have a window at each end of the space so a mirror could act like a third window reflecting light and giving weight to that are away from the TV. A window seat could work nicely.
    ...See More

Please can anyone help with a Design Plan for our Bedroom?

Q

Comments (12)
    Hi Claire, Do the doors actually open inwards into the room? How about considering place the bed in the center of the room facing the doors? You would disguise the back of the bed with a thin console table which have some dressing style storage (jewelry etc) and can hold some tall flowers and candles to set the mood on entering. There's lots of ways you can add the luxury feel you are looking but this would create real impact and make the bed the real feature of the space. If budget allows I would hang lights from the ceiling ad beside lights and layer up on dressing for an even more luxurious feel. I have attached one of my clients bedroom design (single room re-design package) to show you the hanging lighting idea - if this isn't possible then a well placed small chandelier style light would have a great effect on the space. I hope this helps and I look forward to seeing the finished room - it will look stunning I am sure! all the best, Gina
    ...See More

How can we improve the look of our new shed / summer house / bbq area

Q

Comments (21)
    If you feeling brave, dark stains such as black look stunning and help the building to visually recede against the backdrop of vegetation. It's the tradition finish for agriculture buildings and has a very contemporary look. I'd contrast it with a pale grey deck or beige gravel or stone if you want something warmer. The building needs grounding in its setting, ie. connect it with a path and some planting to prevent it looking like it's been dropped from space! It's going to be a great facility to have in the garden.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    It seems you like the pale colour theme of your room. So my two objectives would be to change out all the dark edges and ramp up texture and surfaces.Working around the room following suggestions:Change the frame of the painting to the right of the window. It is too dark and anchors the room Remove everything from the surface of your dresser and hang a mirror and add a white box tray below it. You can place some items here that will seem "contained" - convert the top draw to storing the stuff you have on top so you open that out when you need to.Add a tall lampAt the bottom of the bed add a sheepskin rug that incites texture and warmth and snuggly toesOn your bed add some 2-3 cushions that are textural (cable knit, mongolian sheep, velvet) all in pale greys or creams. On either side of your bed move up the mirrors or bring down the adjacent black framed picture so that they are equal angles (I would move the mirrors up). (Place the lamps on some white bound books if you need/want extra height)Your cupboard is too modern for the room so perhaps find some white scroll decals and put them on to add visual interest.I would remove the black scroll mirror and make this a picture gallery wall.Hope that gives some helpful suggestions
  • mishmashe
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you both, loads of good suggestions there.

The only thing I don't want to do is add cushions to the bed - I know they look good and it's an obvious solution, but hubby and I both hate them and they'd just end up on the floor every night!

I did worry about the large picture frame being too dark, and also at an odd height compared to the bedside mirrors. I think I'll move the mirrors up slightly and the picture down slightly so that they're all level. What kind of frame would you suggest for the large picture?

Hard to see from my pictures but the bedside mirrors also have a narrow black velvet strip going around the sides - is that okay to leave?

Love the idea of a sheepskin rug at the foot of the bed - how big should this be?

Where would you place the tall lamp?

Should anything go above the bed headboard?

The wardrobe was actually not my purchase - it came with the house when we bought it a few months ago. We're looking to replace that in the future (maybe with a built-in wardrobe?) but no immediate plans.

Sorry lots of questions from a total novice. ;)
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    I totally understand about cushions - (which is why I recommended a minimum). However, you can convert your pillow cases into "textural" additions. Digital prints of cable knit or other textural surfaces are quite fashionable right now - so they double as the pillow and the texture. (A thought at least).Equalizing frames and mirrors is a good start. Would a bevelled silvered frame work in the room? I see glass, crystal accents (inspired by the chandelier), bevelled mirror and glass which is a little art deco, and pale colours. Very soothing. Keep the "mascara" line around the sides - if it jars at the end - remove it. But I think a little black in a room serves to help define area.Sheepskin - you will be hard pressed to find a large one (given sheep aren't large!) so maybe two piled on each other?Tall lamp would be on the dresser to the right (echoing the height of the picture on the other side of the window) and the new mirror you are adding there.I considered something above your headboard, but with the mirrors, prefer to keep it simpler. Otherwise you have created an upside down U over the bed area which should be properly designed rather than added piecemeal.Hope these help. At the end you may go "oh no" not what I want. But Houzz serves as a sounding board to help you define your ideas of what you are comfortable with and not. We make suggestions!
  • PRO
    Button & Sprung
    9 years ago
    How about simply de cluttering the top of your chest of drawers by having just the oval mirror in the centre and perhaps a small table lamp placed in the corner. Also a rug on the floor space at the bottom of your bed would break up the large area of carpet which may give a more lived-in feel.
    mishmashe thanked Button & Sprung
  • mishmashe
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks all, I will definitely look into the above suggestions. I also just realised that I recently bought a large sheepskin rug (it is a rectangle though, rather than the original sheep shape!) for my baby daughter's room that I feel isn't working in there. How does it look in here - any better? That is a superking bed so 6 feet wide, the rug just about fits across it.
  • Colm Mitchell
    9 years ago
    I would add some colour, if not cushions then a more colourful duvet colour with curtains that match or complement.
  • mishmashe
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Adventures In Living - that's a great idea about the laminated fabric - but what on earth is it? Haha. And where could I get some?

Collymitch - I like the tone-on-tone kind of feel the room has, very restful for a bedroom, so I wouldn't like to add colour to it. Although I did think about adding a vase of fresh flowers maybe?

I've actually had an idea of how to change this room up a little - what if I did the following:

- Remove everything from the top of the drawers.
    - Hang a matching size/frame picture above drawers, probably another wedding one, to mirror the one on the other side of the window (of course both in a different frame).
    - Remove the hanging black mirror, and put a narrow console table there instead (white and glass?) which will act like a dressing table with no stool. Put all cosmetics etc. on this console table in nice boxes, along with candles, flowers, etc. Hang a silver-framed mirror above that.

Also, how do you guys think that rug is working in the picture above?
  • PRO
    Adventures In Living
    9 years ago
    You can get any linen or cotton fabrics with or without print and I get my curtain maker to send off to laminate - it doesn't lose any colour or the feel really but just makes it sturdier for something like that - or you could just put wire or a thin metal bar through fold at top and bottom of fabric and attach to the door

As far as rug, I might say you don't need it as it's a little busy - what about a small chaise Longue or chair or nice large blanket box at the bottom - handy for storage too
  • n247080
    9 years ago
    I love your room. Very peaceful. A room for romance.....

The rug is a nice addition.

I'd move the art from the side wall and put it over your bed then replace the art with a few hooks and hang your bathrobes on them. If you don't want art over the head of the bed, what about a large but simple wreath?

I too would add a few more pillows, all in white but with different textures or shapes to plump things up a bit but I can understand why you don't want to.

I also agree the mirrors should be higher.

I think your wardrobe is your biggest issue. Any chance of replacing the see through doors with different doors? Or, for a quicker fix, what about adding matching drapes over the entire length of that area to keep the doors and the wardrobe out of view?
  • mishmashe
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The wardrobe really is an issue! But reluctant to spend too much on it at the moment, because we will be replacing it. Just out of interest, I have no clue what style of wardrobe would look good in here. Any suggestions? (Pictures would be great.) Thanks
  • PRO
    Adventures In Living
    9 years ago
    If you want a quick fix for now just buy some curtain wire and some kind of net curtain that's solid and thread through top and bottom and fix with hooks that could stick on - there's no weight to them and you won't be pulling them so should be fine. Then if you like the shabby chic look visit antique markets like Kempton where you can pick up wardrobes very reasonably already painted up. And maybe box your radiator in to finish off - can buy these ready made in B and Q or similar
  • alant1000
    9 years ago
    As your war robes are ikea pax, you can also buy replacement panels to swap with the glass if you wanted to http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/19115/
  • alant1000
    9 years ago
    ^ wardrobes !
  • mishmashe
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi all, I'm still working on this room and have decided to paint the walls the same pale grey as the background of the wallpaper. I've also ordered a grey rug for this room which is yet to arrive. Still working on all the other points mentioned above!

I've just bought these curtains - they're still returnable, and I'm not sure if they go or not?! They are a silvery grey, slightly darker than the wallpaper and have a sort of embossed damask pattern on them. I think the wallpaper is a warm grey(?) but the curtains are a cool grey... Please could you tell me if the colours and/or patterns clash too much?! Thanks!
  • mishmashe
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here's a slightly wider view
  • headers13
    9 years ago
    I think it looks very good BUT i would loose the black frame & get rid of the bits on the chest. Maybe put a low silver bowl on top of the chest to put small bits in & add a folded throw over the bottom of the bed. Maybe change the lampshades or paint the lamp stand in grey? Where is your chandelier from really like it ?
  • PRO
    Cariad Home Styling
    9 years ago
    I would change the curtains and change the lamp base to pewter.
  • PRO
    Cariad Home Styling
    9 years ago
    Also move the mirror to on top of the chest of drawers
  • PRO
    Cariad Home Styling
    9 years ago
    Sorry I meant the black frame.
  • PRO
    Cariad Home Styling
    9 years ago
    These robes are stunning and would well. They are a chalky white with Swarovski handles to tie in with the ceiling light.
  • rebeccafomina
    9 years ago
    Hi you have a really lovely room. the grey palette is very calm and sophisticated. what stared at me first was the lack of net curtains, it makes an otherwise chic room look bare and empty and radiator is not adding any beauty. you can get double poles in ikea. its i think adding a wire for nets would look skimpy.have a lookundercurtains in my idea book, youll see what i mean. i would also replace the picture and the mirror as they draw the eye away from everything else. i think the curtains are lovely and their darker shade to the wall really make them stand out and it doesnt clash.maybe get two widths to create luxurious pleats when drawn closed or gathered on sedes. leave the chest where it is, declutter and add a nice statement ROUND mirror with light coloured metal frame to compliment the chandelier, the bed base and the curtain rod. and perhaps add a glass vase with flowers in front of it and get yourself a different big mirror instead of the black frame done or spray it grey. i hope this helps.
  • Karin Madgwick
    9 years ago
    Yes clear the dresser
  • PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    9 years ago
    I actually think that you have made the makings of a very sophisticated bedroom, but just made a few errors by putting too much there. The mirrors behind the lamps are completely unnecessary as they cannot be used as mirrors, and the lamps are a tad too tall. If you really love the lamps - move the mirrors - they are making the lamps taller. And sorry - declutter the chest of drawers. Nothing on top!! If you use these round mirrors - mount one on the wall above the chest of drawers, but it would look better aesthetically without. As you say the reason the tall mirror looks out of place is because of the colour of the frame - paint it the same colour as the walls. If you really wanted to loose the mirror altogether - mount it on the back of the door after painting. Let us see what you do.
  • emmauk
    9 years ago
    I have the same wall paper but in duck egg, we have panelled white wardrobes with crystal handles.
  • mishmashe
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all, loads of good suggestions! I've read all the above comments and the changes I'm going to make are:

- Move the 2 bedside mirrors up
    - Put a throw on the end of the bed
    - Rug under end of bed
    - Get rid of black photo frame
    - Change large black-framed oval mirror
    - Declutter the top of the drawers

I am also going to paint the 3 white walls a pale grey, turn the drawers around so they open towards the bed, and add a dressing table where the large oval mirror is currently, with a new mirror hung on the wall above that.

This is still going to be very much a work in progress for the next couple of months so I'll come back with finished pictures when I have them!
  • PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    9 years ago
    Well done - you have picked up on ideas that suit you (please do not, ever, put net curtains!! ). Look forward to new pictures. My only concern is raising the two bedside mirrors up - but, hey, once they are off the wall, you can decide whether to put them back. Quick tip. Take a photo once you think you have finished - you will be surprised at the difference between a photo and reality. Good luck
    mishmashe thanked Ensign Accessories
  • bunty31
    9 years ago
    Hi, we have recently decorated our bedroom very similarly to yours and I love it! We have installed floor to ceiling mirrored wardrobes which really enhances the space and light. Pictures don't do it justice but I have added one so you can see the effect! Looking forward to seeing your pictures when it's finished :)
  • mishmashe
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh yes very similar! Love your room, it is very calm and romantic, like ours. ;) I see you have gone for the Josette bedding and curtains too! It looks fab. I am definitely considering mirror doors for our new wardrobe, or white. I like the illusion of space the mirrors give. Thanks for sharing. :)
  • PRO
    Ribble Reclamation
    9 years ago
    How about a Hand burnished full polish finish cast iron radiator for below the window; http://www.ribbleradiators.co.uk/
  • * Andreea
    8 years ago

Hi,
    I suggest you move the mirrors up , at the level of the window because they are too low , with this you will create a hight of the room , the carpet it is a problem : 1: it keeps the dust in the house and 2: you can never have a clean room with it .
    I also suggest get some money put a wood floor and the radiator can be cut out , moved on the floor heating , then you can decide if you want or not to create a small place to sit at the window or the corner where your closet is a small table with a chair where you can rest and have also a make-up session . Move the curtains close to the level of the ceiling and try to find a fade coloured curtain that can create an accent in the room (just because you have a patter wall that does not mean everything in the house should have a patter as well) and i suggest a plant because it keeps the air clean even when you sleep . i can try to make you a design suggestion and see more of what i am writing you, but i will need some specific measurements of the room (height- distance from the wall to the window and to the corner and after to the door , i assume that is where the master-bedroom bath is .
    Kind regards,
    Andreea

• Jo Arnold
    8 years ago

Just saw this and thought of your room. Just one of these cushions (so not a stupid pile on the bed): http://www.hutsly.com/collections/ready-for-christmas/products/copper-sequin-herringbone-cushion

• snip01
    8 years ago
    I'd put a mirror on the wall over the chest of drawers and buy a pretty tray to arrange your bits and bobs on...looks tidier and easy to dust
  • angelinalim
    8 years ago
    greens
  • Lauren
    8 years ago

I think the new curtains help bring the room together and give depth but I also adore the old ones which would go beautifully in my spare room. Was wondering if you could tell me the source for them?

• Emma Finlay
    8 years ago
    Small suggestion to add to the multitude above - swap the handles on your chest of drawers to crystal ones. Reasoning - as this is facing the door(?) it would help set the tone for the gaze moving around the room as you enter, by tying it in more closely with the calming luxe vibe you're going for here. Good luck!
  • uk1982
    8 years ago

I absolutely love your taste! Love the art deco mirrors. I too like all grey with no "splashes of colour". I have josette in the reverse of your wallpaper for my living room. Sorry, I have no advice, just cutting in to tell you I like your room.

• Pat Auld
    8 years ago
    How about some mirrored chests to replace the white ones
    Have a look at Furniture Market. I have ordered from them and they are competitively priced and offer a good service too
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.