emmelinewe

Would you rather have: Crittall windows or sash windows?

Emmeline Westin
last modified: 4 years ago

Let's see who wins the battle and can be crowned most popular window style - will it be sash windows or Crittall-style windows? Let us know what got your vote in the comments section below.

Crittall-style windows
Sash windows

• Luisa Rollenhagen
    This is a hard choice, I like both! But I'm a bit more familiar with sash windows so I have gotten quite fond of them

Need help on do restoring double glazed sash windows work?

Hi, I'm a little confused at your question sorry. Are you asking if you can make sash windows that take a double glazed unit? And in wood?

How do you decorate sash windows with Plantation Shutters fitted?

Hi ianthy In this instance I would suggest removing the shutters, that way they won't be in the way and they can then be painted separately. But I would definitely ask the decorator in question as they may have a good reason for leaving them up in your specific case. Regards KB

Would Sash Windows suit our new house?

Hi, Sash windows are also one of my favourites, however they will not suit the property you have. Unfortunately it will be quite out of place as the period of your house will not suit them. You have to always consider the house style and what would look best - you could end up spending a lot of money and it just not doing your home any justice. Think of a mid-century sort of styling, look at Crittall windows if you want something with a period feel. If you were wanting to give the house a boost you could look at a slim line dark frame to the windows, which would emphasis the render work and also the colour of the bricks.

crittall style windows/doors to garden

You could have a large window to maximise the view and have minimal frame. Then have one large / oversized single door in the place that makes most sense from a movement point of view.
  • Kate Burt
    I'm a bit obsessed with this image. LOVE Crittall windows...
    Contemporary Living Room · More Info
  • oliviaamywicks
    I'd like to sit on the fence and go with both! Crittall windows inside like the picture above and sash windows on the external walls.
  • Average Jo
    They're both beautiful. A few years ago I would have said it depends strictly on the age of the building but I'm getting more tolerant in my old age :-) especially when it comes to a whole wall of Crittall windows opening out into a garden from a Victorian basement extension, can't do that with sash windows.
  • lislondon
    I like both very much. I like the sash windows up and above, but for light, the Crittall windows/doors sort of 'lifts' an old house into this century and in a nice and very tasteful way! In France a lot of people now 'enclose' their kitchen from floor to ceiling with Crittall windows/doors, and it looks absolutely fab. They also often have Crittall big windows and doors facing the garden, and again it looks absolutely fab, but windows are often more traditional, and in the south of course these all have shutters... :)
  • Josh Coe
    Sash. Such a shame the some many people had them taken out and put in double glazing - philistines.
  • Sam Hill
    Sash always, but they're so expensive to replace.
  • R Thomas Rainbow
    For me, it depends on the house. I would replace like with like: an art deco 1930s semi with a curved bay that had Crittal to start with, should have them again; a Victorian terrace should have sash windows put back in. There are some excellent secondary glazing units that are not intrusive, and, although very expensive, modern double-glazed sash units work very well.
  • Jane Bateman
    Grew up with sash windows. Were in my first house. Couldn't bring myself to take them out, so had secondary glazing on most of them!
    Our current house has horrid upvc windows, so when we come into some money (yeah, right!) they'll be changed.
  • Andrew Booton
    I love both but it all depends on the property. Crittall style windows in a Georgian house wouldn't pass the listed building inspectors round here!
    Mckerron Design
    last modified: 6 years ago

The beauty of metal crittall windows are that they are thinner and therefore much lighter looking than sash windows

Affordable Windows

Its got to be sash windows all day long, they suit both new and old style properties and offer a huge improvement in thermal and WER energy ratings due to the option of double or even triple glazing.

Notting hill glass

traditional sash windows are beautiful in notting hill

Odyssey Windows and Doors

i prefer sash windows

Artichoke

They each have their place. Crittal windows work well when the span is signifcant. They also work well for internal windows and doors. Sash windows work well in a period setting. Mullion windows are also a winner in the right space.

Crittal Windows - New England Kitchen, London · More Info

• Lauren
    I love both too, I think crittal are more versatile in terms of working on both 1920's through to modern day builds. Can't beat sashes on period properties though, they add so much character.

Here's the original advertisement for crittal windows from when my 1930's house was built!
    Wood Window Alliance

There aren't many instances where there's a real choice. My rule is to be guided by what's right for the period of the house. You can now buy double-glazed Crittalls. Metal frames will always give you more condensation problems than wood because of the cold-bridging.

• Liam

I voted for the Sash winwow

Abbie Windows

Sash windows are my favourite

Your Timber Windows

We would recommend you check the neighbouring properties to ensure your home remains in keeping with the character and feel of your area. We install sash windows in very contemporary as well as traditional homes so they look great in both settings.

Crittal/aluminium is on vogue at the moment. Check the photo below where our client installed aluminium bifolds and the remaining house had traditional box sash so you may like to consider a mixture of the two.

Timber Sash and Renovation Project · More Info
    Your Timber Windows Ltd

Vrogum Svarre Denmark - Window & Door specialists.

Sash windows r my favorite

• Stephen Edwards
    last modified: 5 years ago

It would depend on the building, Art Deco Moderne pretty much has to be Crittal, with sash they also need to be appropriate to the building. My current house was built in 1939 and whilst it has some Art Deco features inside, the windows are and always have been sash windows. Having grown up with Crittal windows and now having sash windows I don't mind which, I just wish they weren't draughty.(There's a lot to be said for modern windows)

Wood Window Alliance

conservation replacements are available for both Crittalls and timber sash windows that are snug and double glazed.

5 Star Windows & Conservatories

Sash Windows fitted well take a lot of beating! Fitted badly are a nightmare - choose your company carefully!

Sphere Architects

Prefer sash windows in the space shown. Prefer other in the space shown.

Y Cwtsh Interiors

Sash windows if constructed and fitted well are worth the expense.

G W Clark Joinery

sash look great

Emily Greeves Architects

steel sash windows are also possible

Paul Warren Design

Crittall windows can look great when used as a division between rooms or wall of them dividing a hall from other rooms

D and R Design Ltd

We voted Crittall

Charnley Sash Windows

Sash windows always look much better, don't you think?

Synseal Group
    Sash every day of the week
    IQ Glass UK

You can get a much more minimalist profile and a wider range of finished from a Crittall style window. The Mondrian Windows from IQ have a full thermal break (so you get the proper thermal insulation) and are available in galvanised steel, stainless steel, corten steel or architectural bronze.

You can see more information here: Mondrian Windows by IQ

We are getting a full glass box extension installed at the showroom that is made from these steel systems if you wanted to see some in person.

Rebecca

IQ Glass UK

01494 722 880

Sky House, Raans Road, Amersham, HP6 6JQ

Mark Durant Joinery ltd

I like sash windows no cold bridging

AG Interiors

I love crittall windows in the right environment ..............

• Lee

It depends on the buildling. No one in their right mind would replace original Crittal windows with sash or UPVC windows or sash with Crittal, surely?

AG Interiors

Love these .....

Broadway Bespoke Kitchens

I'm an old fashioned girl at heart and will always love the sash cord windows.

Douglas Strachan - Chartered Architect Midlothian
    As others have commented, the aesthetic choice depends largely on the existing building. Crittal windows offer a slimmer profile and a more modern look than sash and case, but are problematic for cold bridging.
  • Taryn Somers
    last year

I love both but it depends on the property and the overall style of the house. I am about to embark on a renovation project of a 1970s house and I’m looking to completely transform the exterior with render and change the windows to sashes, I don’t know where to start so any advice by sash window experts is welcome!

• Lee
    last year

It's a silly argument. Depends on the house. They should look like they belong to it. Houses are often ruined by windows that have no business being on that type of house, at least in the front.

I love both types of windows. But I'd rather have a modernist or art deco house than victorian.

• E D
    last year

Yes a bit of a silly poll, seemingly comparing windows with doors.

Never mind, this was five years ago. 🙂

• Lee
    last year

How time flies.