melnorman1

awkward space in bedroom- help needed

melnorman1
9 years ago
We built in two cupboards in our small victorian bedroom on each side of the fireplace wall recess but now have an awkward and narrow space in between. It is not deep enough for a shelving and we are looking for something to make the space feel bigger as the bed is only about 60cm from the wall. We also are wanting to add colour into the room. Any help appreciated!
wall colours = 3x pale grey and 1 x farrow and ball Teresa's green on the bed wall. Our style is Scandinavian mixed with New England. Floors are oak wood.

Comments (55)

• melnorman1
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for all your comments and help. I think a picture would work but wonder if it would need anything underneath to balance it out where a fireplace would have been?
    I have tried to look for a narrow console table but haven't really found one that is under 16cm in depth. If you have some ideas let me know! Do you think a mantel shelf under a picture would balance out the space?
    Thank you!
  • melnorman1
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    OnePlan that sounds like a great idea, if only I had lots of shoes! :-) May need to buy some more... Debster007 the colour is, I think pebbleshore by Dulux. It is lovely in some of our other rooms but in a north facing room like our bedroom it does need livening up.
  • Related Discussions

Awkward loft bedroom

Q

Comments (7)
    If I were designing this room I would start with what you need in the way of storage etc. Do you need some seating? It would work well doing a lovely built in seating on the lower level against that back wall. This could have some storage built underneath for folded clothes. I would also get in some more permanent steps (beside that built in furniture - again these can be made to lift up as storage). I would also do a feature wall behind the sofa (back wall) maybe brick effect paper would work well? (depending on your tastes) I would then also look at layering the lighting to create some real impact and create a great mood to relax in. Hopefully its given you a few ideas :) Gina
    ...See More

Awkward living space, help please!

Q

Comments (19)
    Thanks all for your comments! Lots to look through and think about. We've just recently extended out the back and put a wall up between the kitchen diner and lounge as it used to be a large lounge diner. Because of my builder changing things at the last minute the living room is smaller than I imagined and the funny indented bit has really thrown me. I hadn't thought of putting bookcases or shelving all along that wall but it would be useful storage and display space and hide the kids toys as suggested. I'm googling ikea bookcase hacks as we speak ;) The only thing is, would a tv on that wall get too much glare from the window opposite? We do ultimately need a new radiator in here as its the only one apart from my sons bedroom that wasn't changed when we extended, so I could go for a tall one on that wall as you come in the porch door. Are they as powerful as standard radiators though? I worry most of the heat will come out at the top of the room instead? Papayalady i'd love to see your entire living room view?! for inspiration :)
    ...See More

Help with awkward bedroom layout and built-in storage

Q

Comments (4)
    i meant to have the bed over the existing wall and part of the alcove like this, with the blue bit being built to look like a wall, but with access through a simple door... Depending on type of bed headboard you could have recessed shelves built into the storage above and/or beside the bed to act as bedside table.
    ...See More

Help with design of awkward space in bedroom

Q

Comments (3)
    A little tricky to advise on, as the plans do not seem to accurately reflect the footprint. A couple more views of the platform above the stair would be useful. You may be able to remove the top panel and build some open shelving above it. Otherwise, it is rather an odd "feature" to try and work with.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    Don't tell my husband - I've told him it's quite normal to have about 80 pairs of heels And about 30 pairs of boots !!!!! Tee hee !!
  • ilpostino
    9 years ago
    Why not use it as a statement wall I have one wall in my lounge which mixes the greys , black and silver to match my blinds carpet and walls in a tile look wallpaper !!! You could look for something that coordinates the colours you've used in one one space !!!
    melnorman1 thanked ilpostino
  • Lara Imrie
    9 years ago
    There are loads of great ideas on your dilema my first thought was either a large colourful print or picture then I remembered that mirrors ultimately disperse light around your room making it seem spacious and bright.
    Here's another option have a look at some of the Wall Decals available there are some beautiful designs eg New York skyline forest views, beach views , Grand Canyon , English countryside.
    To name just what I have looked at , if you look online for wall stickers or wall decals you'll soon see what I'm suggesting.

However the idea of a make shift dressing table is a great idea too.

Good luck deciding.
    melnorman1 thanked Lara Imrie
  • Lara Imrie
    9 years ago
    Here are some I found by searching for wall decals.
  • Lara Imrie
    9 years ago
    More examples for you ?
  • Aline Browers
    9 years ago
    I would prefer a slim console table. it should keep enough distance from the sides/cupboards. Metal and glass to keep it light. table lamp with coloured base given there is a socket. a mirror would make it look more generous but a picture would also work here.
    melnorman1 thanked Aline Browers
  • Aline Browers
    9 years ago
    I meant if there is a socket
    melnorman1 thanked Aline Browers
  • hilarywhite
    9 years ago
    You could put up picture shelves (Ikea do white in two different lengths)
    melnorman1 thanked hilarywhite
  • melnorman1
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for all your comments. Am leaning towards the art idea but still think I might need something else underneath. Depth is only 16cm but am trying to find a console table that narrow. Like mirrors but near the bed for some reason but will think about art about the bed. Thanks for all your help.
  • minnie101
    9 years ago
    Unfortunately I don't think you are going to find a console table that narrow. You could have one Made but that could be costly. If you choose art I would go for one very large piece or hang 4 pictures in a square or rectangle ( it can look effective hung low). Before you buy anything, use existing or borrow some art to see what it will look like. Another option is to reinstate a small victorian bedroom fireplace as presumably you have the recess behind the plasterboard? The protruding part of the fireplace is normally very shallow. Ultimately as you only have a small space between the bed any "furniture" will make it narrower. Normally you would choose cool colours to give the Illusion of depth as warm colours bring walls etc in. Add colour with cushions and a throw or bedspread. Lavender, gold or earthy colours work with sage.
    melnorman1 thanked minnie101
  • melnorman1
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you, we did think about putting back the fireplace but the wall has been bricked up. Was thinking about painting it the same colour as the bed wall but wasn't sure if that would look strange having 2 walls in grey and 2 walls in the green? Our other rooms have been much easier than this :-)
  • PRO
    Baker Stone Systems Ltd
    9 years ago
    if the gap between the cupboards is wide enough why not turn the bed round and put it in there? some nice bedside lights and switches could readily be fitted on the sides of the cupboards ....
    melnorman1 thanked Baker Stone Systems Ltd
  • Tryphic
    9 years ago
    What about fitting a shelf 16cm deep at the height of a console table and dressing it accordingly. You could fit a mirror or a piece of art or a wall hanging above it. Lovely room by the way!
    melnorman1 thanked Tryphic
  • PRO
    jones
    9 years ago
    How about use a raised piece of art and conceal behind it LED lighting. The colours can be remotely changed to suit the mood needed in the room. (My first thought was shoes though!) Good luck
    melnorman1 thanked jones
  • Brian Martin
    9 years ago
    I agree with debster007 of building the storage cupboard for shoes with a large mirror above
    melnorman1 thanked Brian Martin
  • PRO
    Liam Camilleri
    9 years ago
    Keep it simple. No particular need to clutter the room. Try adding a wide painting above the bed ideally matching the colour scheme of the room and a long mirror with a white border (or matching your cupboards or a victorian style white border) in the empty area. The mirror will reflect more light in the room as I see that you have some great natural light on the wall and at the same time, your painting can be admired both when you enter your room and when you're in your bed. Good luck. Hope to have been of help
  • slimberley
    9 years ago
    I think picture shelves would look good, but keep them sparse. You could have a mix of art, treasured photos, mirrors and keepsakes and either go for an eclectic look or a more co-ordinated feel like this one (although I think this may be a bit too cluttered for your style and you would probably want to avoid the monochrome)
    http://houzz.com/photos/10230993
    melnorman1 thanked slimberley
  • sloegin
    9 years ago
    I'd go for a mirror on the wall opposite the window to maximise the light - always best to position one opposite the natural light source if possible. I'd go for art in your recess, but before hanging it, I'd get the wall panelled with the same style of wood panelling you've got on your new built-in doors. Adds continuity and makes it look like it was deliberately styled that way from the outset. I love the idea which slimberley has posted above - the idea of a "gallery" - easy to do if you're getting the wooden panelling done. If no panelling - Ikea do picture shelves - i.e. they are narrow and have a "lip" of wood at the front which prevents the pictures from falling off.

Keep us posted on progress - and it's a beautiful room as it is, well done on such a chic and relaxed space.

Denise
    melnorman1 thanked sloegin
  • sloegin
    9 years ago
    And your gallery can be as cluttered or as "curated" (hate that bloody word) as you want.
  • sloegin
    9 years ago
    And don't get me started on "pops of colour", grrrrrrrr.
    melnorman1 thanked sloegin
  • sloegin
    9 years ago
    Oooooh - and Lara's idea feeds into a great "weathered wood" wallpaper I want to use somewhere: http://www.1wall.com/wood-panel-wall-mural# - can be set vertically or horizontally. If you look through the site, you'll also find some whitewashed brickwork and some bare brick murals. Have seen the former in a friend's house - looked great.

Denise
  • PRO
    Blinds 2go
    9 years ago
    A beautiful wall mural would really brighten up the place, but since it's a bedroom, you don't want to choose anything that's too visually stimulating. It needs to be relaxed enough for you to fall asleep to, especially as it's facing the bed.
  • PRO
    Button & Sprung
    9 years ago
    Hi Mel, are you sure you couldn't fit some narrow shelving in this recess? From the images I think you have just enough width. If so I think some low down book shelving up to about 1.20m would look good, with the top shelf allowing you to prop up a large mirror and also display items and candles? See the picture for a general idea. Hope this helps a little with the inspiration!
    melnorman1 thanked Button & Sprung
  • Kittihawke
    9 years ago
    Ikea picture shelves are shallow and you could switch out your art whenever you wanted without banging holes for nails in the wall each time. Furniture will just crowd your nice fresh space. Also there would be a nice symmetry between say the two banks of wardrobes going up and two well spaced picture rails going across.
  • saya85
    9 years ago
    If the bed could actually fit along that wall between the cupboards(?) I would possibly try that as squeezing past the cupboards might be a bit tight ....

However failing that I would say that wall screams for a full length mirror!
    Also practical for when you're choosing your outfit from the cupboards next to it.
    It will make the space feel much bigger and if you hang some art behind the bedstead then don't forget the mirror will reflect your bed and artwork too (double the feature without crowding the space)

Make sure it's a statement mirror though! Browse online for great bargains

If artwork is out of your budget and you want to work in some pattern wallpaper on that wall might be better? Shame to ruin the walls but there are some beautiful papers around these days
  • Beata Sowinska
    9 years ago
    Maybe electric fire place?? They look very elegant and are quite slim to fit that space....
    And will go with any colours....
  • Barbara STewart
    9 years ago
    Looking for ideas. End terrace three storey circa 1860. I have put dining table in the kitchen and moved small island back against wall. Trying to open room up. All rooms are dock mainly front of house. Had dark wardrobes and I am now attempting to paint white. I have some mirrors around house to try and create more light. We like to try and do things ourselves as we are both retired. Looking at utilising under stairs space. We put in cloak cupboard as storage is an issue. Thanks for any advice.
  • msingh92
    9 years ago
    If it were I, I would see if your bed fit in the middle of the two coming out central to the room. Lovely colour scheme by the way and good use of wardrobe space in the recesses.
  • Laura Dickinson
    9 years ago
    I feel that if you were to put up artwork or a wall decal you are taking away the use of a space that could be more personalised. As it is a small space it would be nice to create something special there, instead of sticking up some random art to bring in colour.

If it was me I would go for a photo wall, incorporating photographs of your family or places that are special to you. I've attached some photos I found on Google and something like those would look really good there. You can also get lots of cool frames to tie in with colours you want to incorporate, for example, if you want to bring in duck egg blue vibes to tie in with your colour wall then find frames similar to that. I have a wall similar to this and I went to paperchase and fount cute postcards that I liked and framed some of those to add a pop of colour. As you can see on one of the photos there are mirrors on the wall too, mixed in to create depth. You could maybe use vintage handheld mirrors and hang them in the mix too?

As a lady with lots of perfume, I always want to show them off as the bottles are beautiful, you could put up a small shelf and use the perfume bottles to create something a little different along the lines of the dresser ideas people have suggested.

Hope this helps and good luck deciding!
    melnorman1 thanked Laura Dickinson
  • melnorman1
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for all your cool comments. Not so fond of having mirrors opposite the bed and unfortunately it doesn't fit in the space but great suggestion, it would have solved some problems. Only have one perfume bottle and not many shoes ( need to work on be a lady I think :-) but I like the idea of some lower down bookshelves with a few things and maybe a picture. Also liked the paneling idea. Am fond of a bit of paneling. but found a piece of metal art for above the bed which is great against the soft greeny blue. So thank you for all your advice! Will put a pic of the changes
  • Jane Bateman
    9 years ago
    Not usually one for 'feature' walls or wallpaper but I saw some birch tree wallpaper on eBay last week that would look lovely in that space. Item number 151044781106
    melnorman1 thanked Jane Bateman
  • melnorman1
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Happy Tuesday! Still haven't decided on the between the wardrobe space but have been working on the other side of the bedroom. Thanks for the tips about artwork above the bed.
  • Jenny West
    9 years ago
    A huge piece of art, or a large rug. Alternatively, a huge flat screen TV wall mounted and hidden behind panels (or a picture).
    melnorman1 thanked Jenny West
  • Brian Martin
    9 years ago
    How good are at drawing straight lines , thought about painting the gap between the the two wardrobes the same colour as the wardrobe then draw straight lines like the doors on your wardrobes , this will give you the impression it's a fully fitted unit
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    I would go BIG! Deffinitely a framed piece of art as others have said. Like a huge poster print. Something you want to wake up to. If its a standard large piece of art, you are right in feeling it would need something under it, but then you have the problem of trying to tie it in with your wardrobes.
    Or you could tongue and groove the wall in the same style as the wardrobes and hang a group of 4 art frames.
    Or wallpaper with depth. Seen here on Houzz
    The South Hampstead Apartment · More Info

Bought here http://www.rockettstgeorge.co.uk/bookshelf-wallpaper-by-young--battaglia---white-25m-panel-1043-p.asp
  • ruthholmstock
    9 years ago
    I would recommend a picture ledge because you can have fun with it. A mirror is no good because you can't step back to look at yourself. And even if the bed would fit you couldn't have bedside tables. This is one I made earlier!
    melnorman1 thanked ruthholmstock
  • mrsmcee74
    9 years ago
    Hi there, for that awkward space, you can create made to measure furniture on the Jali website: http://www.jali.co.uk/products/jaliDesignerClass.cfm So you could have a bespoke shelving unit or a shallow cupboard perhaps.
    melnorman1 thanked mrsmcee74
  • alant1000
    9 years ago
    How about a huge mirror with thick border? Will make the room look bigger. IKEA have a few large ones like this http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/24859/
    melnorman1 thanked alant1000
  • PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    8 years ago

How about leaving it as just a wall - if you put anything on this, e.g. shelves etc it will make the room look much smaller. Just paint it a colour to accentuate the other walls. Had you thought about loosing the curtains (they are probably there for light interference, and replacing with blackout roller blind? Would tidy up that area.

melnorman1 thanked Ensign Accessories
  • Jules
    8 years ago
    Definitely just leave it as it is - no requirement for clutter opposite the bed.
    melnorman1 thanked Jules
  • Andy H
    8 years ago

I think cut a whole in the brickwork and insert a gas/electric fireplace higher up with a thin shelf running the width of the wall and some transfer art. Have the fireplace sit flush with the wall.

• PRO
    Akiva Projects Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello,

If you would like to make your space look larger and add some colour, you could think of using a large scale wallpaper and create a feature wall. If not, a beautiful artwork could be an option too.

Izabella

StJames Design Interiors

• PRO
    Akiva Projects Ltd
    8 years ago

• User
    8 years ago
    Hello,

Perhaps a single artwork piece placed not too high would work.

Take a look at artistkvij.com

Particularly under the 'modern' and 'artshop' link.

I create original one-off modern and contemporary artwork on all size canvases. Please feel free to contact me via email on the website for any questions or bespoke art work requests.
    Happy hunting!
  • salonka
    8 years ago

I would add full size mirror without any frame right to the edge to add extra depth and an illusion of space.

• fionaoneill
    8 years ago

Hi, in that space I would put a nice relaxing framed print and beneath it a shaker style shelf with pegs to hang pretty scarves or hats or bags. I have one in my utility room between two cupboards and it gives a lovely feel to the room as well as being useful. Mirrors are not good feng shui opposite a bed and although shoe storage is great it might be too much between the wardrobes. Pretty colours!

• newton81
    3 years ago

I have the same predicament and posted the picture the other day. I've chose Village Maze by Dulux. I am going to leave my wardrobes white and paint the middle part and add one shelf which will be the same colour. i was going to add a mirror behind and use the shelf for flowers and candles.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.