rachael_macgregor

How to make stained wood work in this house?

Hi everyone, we're in the process of buying this house and I don't know if we should do something about the woodwork. The whole house is trimmed in a warm/orangey wood.

It's I good shape and the doors are nice too but I really don't like dark homes. I much prefer lighter airier spaces. However, I really don't have the money to pay someone to paint it all (it's a five bedroom house, two bathrooms, open plan living dining kitchen) and I'm not sure that I have the energy to sand it and paint it ALL white what with having three kids, one on which is a newborn. I fear we would end up with the house part painted and never move beyond there. I'd much rather paint some of the walls if needed.

What kind of style and colours could I go for to really make this look good instead of out of place? We're on a very tight budget so I would love to make it look good with the current kitchen too, just update hardware/paint tiles and walls etc. nothing too expensive, but a style we can add to over the years once we've got the basic colours down.

As I said, I love light colours, and vintage/cottage styles. We live in scotland so it needs to be cosy, but light enough for when the sun disappears for the winter. Thanks in advance!

(Excuse the stuff everywhere, we bought it from friends and they were still moving out when I took these).

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.