layla_shkoukani

Front of house improvement!

Layla Shkoukani
23 February, 2015
Hi guys, we are looking at doing a few home improvements over the coming months, one being to smarten up the front of our house/front garden. Any suggestions big or small welcome! TIA

Martin Hall Design
    Hi, Looks to me like a nice neat little house that doesn't need much alteration which would be costly. It looks inviting and welcoming. Same blinds or curtains in each window will make it look more chic. Better to do something with the garden area. I would put in new gate posts and a more contemporary gate. Next, redirect the path straight to the front door. It's like saying "Come on in". Front lawns are an old habit we need to break. They are never used but look scruffy unless mowed and preened regularly. Instead get some bold architectural shaped evergreen shrubs, trees and plants. Think about the different textures of leaves and the shapes the plants will grow to. Try for some larger plants rather than tiny ones which will take ages to establish. I can't see the planting in front of the fence but I would suggest Photinia - it has red and green leaves, grows quickly and can be clipped easily to form a hedge which will compliment your red door. On the right side of your newly directed path, plant different sized shrubs but include a tall Italian Cypress (Cupressus semprivirens pyramidalis ) - tall thin evergreens seen in the Med. This will screen the dark side passage area from view. I am guessing that area might have bins etc? Good luck.
  • Layla Shkoukani
    Thank you so much! That is all very useful stuff. Unfortunately for my husband you have said exactly what I was hoping for in getting rid of the front lawn :). Would paving or gravel be the best idea around the path? Thanks for suggestions on plants. Very useful. Was wondering whether or not to put up a trellis with a climber and also my biggest conundrum is weather to paint the door a different colour? Thanks again
    Martin Hall Design
    Glad it helped! Gravel is nicer - more atmospheric - sounds etc. Door seems ok to me but that's a personal thing. Where would you put the trellis? Might look good around the small window.
  • Layla Shkoukani
    Yeah by the small window! Was thinking possibly a shade of green or grey for door may be a bit smarter but not sure. Thanks again.
    Martin Hall Design
    If you do do Grey, try Dulux 'Bleached Lichen' - will have to get it mixed. Very sophisticated colour - the darkest shade( either BL1 or BL4 ) Every other colour will look fantastic against it. x
  • Marie-Louise Avery Linklater
    Definitely change the colour of the door - the red really doesn't work with the brick. Soft grey or grey-green - or white? and then keep the planting to silvery greens? A path going straight from the sidewalk to the front door would give the opportunity for a more symmetrical arrangement and I would put a white picket fence across the front - or iron rails with a hedge inside. And gravel instead of lawn works well - and serves as an alarm as its impossible to walk across it silently. If it were my house I would cover some of the brickwork with white weather boarding - at least across the upper story. The windows aren't great but the weather boarding would make them less prominent.
    http://www.mydesignchic.com/2011/07/white-picket-fences/
  • Marie-Louise Avery Linklater
    This is the pic I liked from the link above:
    SAMUEL KENDALL ASSOCIATES LIMITED
    Change the fenestration to create a more balanced composition. The current windows are both unattractive and would fail to provide a safe egress in the event of a fire in the house. A change to these could combine a fantastic modern, balanced composition and render the house safe from a means of access point of view.
  • Layla Shkoukani
    Thank so much for all the suggestions. It's interesting to see what people have picked out. Some food for thought. I perhaps should have said we are on a row of houses all the same so anything too major may stand out too much. Will def be going with the gravel, foliage and painting front door as first steps. Perhaps window boxes may help the look of the windows at the min. Any thoughts on these door colours? Thanks for the paint suggestion Martin will check that out.
  • sineadlawler
    I was going to suggest grey/ green for your door. I like the first and was colours. I think 2 and 3 are bit harsh with the red brick, but that's just my opinion. Btw I think your house looks really pretty.
  • sineadlawler
    Sorry should read first and last colours
  • Layla Shkoukani
    Thank you :) Yes I think the first one too.
  • kmullin85
    I agree that window boxes could add the colour you might have wanted from putting up a trellis. Gravel or plants for the front lawn rather than paving stone will add more intdrest and also help drainage.