ruth_mcguinness

Kitchen: It needs something but what?

Ruth McGuinness
9 years ago
We have recently had a new kitchen put in, but it's just bland, something is missing but what? Colour? It's just not homely or ooh I like it. I find it mwah, Any suggestions on what I can do to revive it?

Comments (57)

• Ruth McGuinness
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm off to IKEA in a week to buy new bar stools..love the aubergine colour idea thanks everyone again
  • Sarah McNally
    9 years ago
    I agree it needs more colour as its a lovely kitchen. Sage green always looks nice, or get some color pop accessories - toaster, kettle etc from next which easily add color.

Some plant pots in coloured pots is a super cheap way to add colour (see pic) try B&Q as are very good price and nice colours

Finally a big bold art print for the walk. Try not on the high street
    Ruth McGuinness thanked Sarah McNally
  • Related Discussions

Kitchen alcoves - need something.

Q

Comments (20)
    Painting your kitchen walls is one of the quickest, and easiest ways to re-do a kitchen. Before you rush out and buy gallons of paint, think carefully about what your dream kitchen looks like. Experts agree that it's not just the color on the walls that determine how a kitchen looks and feels. How the wall paint color relates to the cabinetry, countertops, tiles, molding, appliances, lighting and flooring is very important. Before you buy paint, test sample swatches on your walls and observe how the colors look at various times during the day and evening. second option you can put a colourful candles check some candles designs at https://www.whiteparisluxury.co.uk/scented-candles.html.
    ...See More

Need help for our kitchen, blue cabinets, what floor and work surface?

Q

Comments (3)
    Hello Ben, There are lots of alternatives to wood. How about granite, quartz or conglomerate marble? Conglomerate marble is more durable than standard marble, which is great for kitchens to reduce any possible staining or scratches. Granite and quartz are both very durable, non-porous materials and popular choices for kitchen worktops, too. Not to mention all three materials will last you a life time. We have hundreds of samples of these materials, but please feel free to explore your colour options by looking at the samples on our website here: http://www.diespeker.co.uk/materials/ (simply expand the tabs). If you're looking for a light worktop we'd recommend: quartz QU011 and QU078 and conglomerate marble CG028 and CG025. Good luck!
    ...See More

Something is not right in my new kitchen

Q

Comments (87)
    Hi Laura, thanks for posting. Wow, it looks amazing! Amazing how much difference the floor, splashback and mirror make, it's transformed. Well done. I'm struggling to like a splashback in my new kitchen (even though I chose it) so was looking for inspiration - my partner just doesn't get it and will probably leave me if I even dare to mention changing it :-)
    ...See More

Does this space need something extra?

Q

Comments (11)
    Love the reading corner. A little table and a reading lamp would be nice to complete it. What is the trunk used for? It might also make the room cosier if there was some dressing at the window. The warmth of the wallpaper does not appear to be continued elsewhere. Hope that helps !
    ...See More
  • emmauk
    9 years ago
    Not sure if they are aubergine in real life but may be worth a look?
    Ruth McGuinness thanked emmauk
  • Jonathan
    9 years ago
    Agreed that you need more colour. I would paint the wall behind the hob- I like the aubergine idea mentioned earlier- but you could also consider masking and painting stripes to tick the eye into thinking it is wider. Look at some contemporary wallpapers for inspiration.
    Ruth McGuinness thanked Jonathan
  • Jonathan
    9 years ago
    I would probably knock back the ceiling colour a little and choose a dirty white (Farrow and Ball- Old white?) which will warm the light in the room, plus is more practical in a kitchen
    Ruth McGuinness thanked Jonathan
  • minnie101
    9 years ago
    Lovely kitchen. It looks a bit vintage mixed with contemporary? I would go for some vintage artwork on the wall and maybe some letters on the shelves mixed with coloured display items as some of the the glassware is a bit lost. Some industriał or vintage stools may look good. Add colour or even try black. A blackboard wall may also look good. I've attached a few images to try and show what I mean
    Ruth McGuinness thanked minnie101
  • Ruth McGuinness
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all, each one of you have given me really good ideas and I hope that I can pull them all together. Minnie 101 you really do know me..lol I do love vintage but thought I should 'get with it' The house is 200 years old. We have tried to modernise it but sympathetically. I also like the dirty ceiling idea but was scared that it would make it look even lower. I knew it needed colour or something and all your comments have helped cement what I kinda knew I had to do. Will post some pictures of the after if you all don't mind x Thanks again Houzz people :-)
  • headers13
    9 years ago
    I would add a window blind & then make more of the window sill & shelving by putting collections in a colour scheme on there rather than just bits n pieces. Add some wall art etc. Looks a very nice kitchen though.
    Ruth McGuinness thanked headers13
  • cavgirl
    9 years ago
    Get more artwork definitely- and hang it lower so that it flows with the line of your grey shelf. At the moment it doesn't look right and almost seems to be trying to escape onto your ceiling which means the impact is lost.

I think everyone is right, you do need the softness of some fabric at the window. What about a rug? Might sound crazy but a couple of good fabric based bathroom rugs (not that non slip rubber stuff) would also warm it up and they can be easily washed. Tk maxx is a good source. Haunt charity shops; find things you like. I got a copper kettle in an oxfam the other week; the warmth of it is lovely in the kitchen and small touches of it do work with 'cold' metals. It'd be fabulous with your grey.

Don't get disheartened. You've just put the kitchen in so it will take time- but at least you've got a lovely starting point that's incredibly flexible.
    Ruth McGuinness thanked cavgirl
  • mrsmcee74
    9 years ago
    Yes it's crying out for some pops of colour to warm it up a bit. Everything on your shelving is very neutral, some colourful cast iron pans or storage jars would liven up the wall. And I think with some bright artwork, a colourful blind that has some pattern in and the odd bright tea towel it will work wonders. Maybe find a patterned blind you like first and then pick out one or two accent colours from that.
    Ruth McGuinness thanked mrsmcee74
  • Janice Hay
    9 years ago
    Hi there after looking at your kitchen personally I would paint the walls a nice warm taupe colour! I would take the grey shelves down and get some white floating ones hanging them lower! And a nice contempory roller blind! I would also display coloured glass wear on the shelves! If you have the time I would also change the floor to large Matt tiles in a light taupe!
    Ruth McGuinness thanked Janice Hay
  • Bella Tanner
    9 years ago
    I would pick a vintage pastel colour (eg mint) and buy toaster, kettle even a free standing mixer bowl and then add in tea towels and a blind in the same shade. Plus spray paint some bar stools in that colour. But then I love mixing old with new. You can grab all of those things from Sainsburys at the moment!
    Ruth McGuinness thanked Bella Tanner
  • Blondemoments58
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I have a kitchen similar to this and I went from white to duck egg blue, add a roman blind, Laura Ashley do some nice ones and then take it from there. At the moment its too clinical and feels cold. Maybe do away with the stools and table and put a wired frame on the wall and hang some herb pots. They could be painted any colour with the name on the herbs written in the front. Ask yourself certain questions on what you use then get rid of what you don't. Its amazing how many people have a microwave/coffee maker and don't use it. Look at your shelves and think display and usefulness and don't over clutter. If you need a table look for small cafe type table and chairs or use the small fold away outdoor garden type that come in a range of colours and materials. May be a black board on the wall to leave messages for the famiiy.
    Ruth McGuinness thanked Blondemoments58
  • bellydancer1
    9 years ago
    Lovely kitchen but don't add to much colour start off with just a few things like toaster kettle pictures etc as sometimes can seem over whelming and please were did you get your bar stools
    Ruth McGuinness thanked bellydancer1
  • Tryphic
    9 years ago
    We have a fake geranium! Adds colour and can't be killed. Either a colourful tile/glass splash back, or just accessories with colour as someone else suggested. Lovely kitchen.
    Ruth McGuinness thanked Tryphic
  • af03695948
    9 years ago
    I agree with the roman blinds and oven gloves comment. With a cooker like that you could even go down the road of country/farmhouse style with red / green Gingham patterns. Add colourful flowers in a vase and some pictures on the wall.
    Ruth McGuinness thanked af03695948
  • Adam Collins
    9 years ago
    what about a light trough, like coving with led lighting then you can change the colour with your mood. Relatively cheap and very versatile
    Ruth McGuinness thanked Adam Collins
  • Sam Hill
    9 years ago
    Different cabinet handles.
    The cabinets look too clinical.
    Ruth McGuinness thanked Sam Hill
  • balmsy
    9 years ago
    Colour is def needed but be careful not to go too dark. I have lamps in my kitchen and they give a lovely glow. And the shades could add the accent colour. You def need some plants, I would also get some statement pictures the two you have are too small to be apart, I have them in a bedroom next to each other, even a striking ginger jar or colourful crockery on the shelves would lift it. Good luck.
    Ruth McGuinness thanked balmsy
  • Hayley
    9 years ago
    How about a coloured glass splash back and some herbs for the window ledge ?
    Ruth McGuinness thanked Hayley
  • Hayley
    9 years ago
    Contd
    Ruth McGuinness thanked Hayley
  • balmsy
    9 years ago
    The glasses on your shelves are lost, they don't stand out. Pile some bowls and plates up on the shelves, rest a picture against wall, the items don't have to be kitchen utensils, hey a plant ! ;)
    Ruth McGuinness thanked balmsy
  • lizmaginnis
    9 years ago
    Sorry, but you need upper cabinets. Get rid of the butterflies and the utensil rack on the other side of the hood. The room is bottom heavy. Also needs some kind of window treatment but don't overdo it and come out to far. And bar stools are wrong. Put an oriental rug on the floor. The cabinet pulls are fine.
    Ruth McGuinness thanked lizmaginnis
  • laurz84
    9 years ago
    I would pick maybe two accent colours and add items with those colours.

Start with the blind and work from there. I think the kitchen is lovely, really like the grey and the cabinets.

The pic below is from my sisters kitchen, it's a one bed flat hence the too much stuff but she chose teal and red as the colours. This was based on her tea and coffee canisters actually and she went from there.
    (This pic is mid decorating so the items haven't been displayed properly)
    Ruth McGuinness thanked laurz84
  • PRO
    Zora Lighting
    9 years ago
    I think you need a ceiling lamp
    Ruth McGuinness thanked Zora Lighting
  • PRO
    Saku Design Studio
    9 years ago
    Why dont you try glass mosaic tiles on the small strip that you can tile? You can introduce colour that way but without the cost of a full tiled wall.
    I also think you need something on your ceiling, hanging lamps, a lowered bulkhead painted a bright colour or a pot rack. introduce colour with your appliances as well. They dont all have to be chrome or stainless steel and black
    Ruth McGuinness thanked Saku Design Studio
  • Ruth McGuinness
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all again for your very helpful comments. It's mainly 'soft furnishing' to pull it together or brighten it as I know it's dull and lacking something. Unfortunately, I'm ashamed to say this IS the finished product below is how the kitchen was.

The house is a 200 year old blacksmith cottage so it has 4ft stone walls, just moving the boiler was an epic task and it's very low. I can touch the ceiling if I stretch up, If I had something hanging from it, it would end up being a piñata.

So I can't afford to re tile or put cabinets up as the main money is spent.

I will change the pictures for bright orange or pink, and look for bright crockery for the shelves and hope for the best and blind, but again I have perfect fit blinds as the window openings aren't straight and the kitchen is so very dark that I want as much natural light as poss. but I do think it will warm the place up and make it more homely.

Just to show you how it was when we first moved in here it is. Thanks again everyone.
  • minnie101
    9 years ago
    Don't lose heart. The kitchen is lovely and personal to you. A couple of new bar stools and a few accessories and it will look even better!
    Ruth McGuinness thanked minnie101
  • emmauk
    9 years ago
    Wow, you've done a great job Ruth. Any luck with bar stools? I think they will really help that side of the room
    Ruth McGuinness thanked emmauk
  • User
    9 years ago
    wow I love it. I am so desperate to have something like that.
    Ruth McGuinness thanked User
  • G Arnold
    9 years ago
    Looks excellent to me Ruth, a few pops of colour (on shelves and counter) and a bolder picture and it will look more homely... As an aside, I would take your kitchen in a heartbeat. Just in the middle of renovating ours and we have gone with some cheapy ikea units as we plan to open up and extend the back at some point... So didnt want to waste money on a fitted kicthen... That being said I think we have managed to achieve something half decent by throwing in a bit of colour and some pictures... Take a look at the attched (in progress pic) as an example... Bit marmite i guess but we are happy.
    Ruth McGuinness thanked G Arnold
  • tavolla
    9 years ago
    The paint colour does not complement the kitchen .it is too cold for that cream and wood
    Ruth McGuinness thanked tavolla
  • Ruth McGuinness
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Gary Arnold,
    Really loving your kitchen. I have new cream bar stools with raspberry cushions and some brighter prints. Will post pictures soon.
    Just to mention my kitchen is Ikea, I think they are great, especially if you get a good kitchen fitter, he can make a cheap kitchen look expensive. The cooker cost me more than the whole of the Kitchen and worktop..lol
  • G Arnold
    9 years ago
    Same here... We got a Bertazzoni range... It cost 4 times as much as the units.... They are just Ikea Udden freestanding units, cheap as chips... In fact the tap cost more than one of them! Look forward to seeing updated pics. PS your cooker is ace, what type is it?
    Ruth McGuinness thanked G Arnold
  • neotoma
    9 years ago
    "I do love vintage but thought I should 'get with it'" - that quote there is your problem in a nutshell! No one should ever decorate against what you love (unless you are imminently going to sell). The good news is that you've put in a kitchen that has elegant, classy, and flexible bones (cabinets, worktop etc), so you just need to do the surface decoration - paint, fabric, pictures, equipment - to suit what you genuinely love and want.
    Ruth McGuinness thanked neotoma
  • mrsmcee74
    9 years ago
    Looking forward to the pics Ruth. I love the colour raspberry, can't wait to see it in the room. Clarke & Clarke do some gorgeous raspberry and green vintage style fabrics I enjoy drooling over (although notice Dunelm do some similar).
    Ruth McGuinness thanked mrsmcee74
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    I agree with what people are saying about artwork. If it was my kitchen I would possibly remove the rail with the hanging utensils and put a large 'vintage - ish' typography print on that wall.
    Ruth McGuinness thanked User
  • Edel Moran
    9 years ago
    I would go with a very colourful roman blind for the window. Along the long wall, I would add wall units, some with glass door, to show off your nice crockery and glassware. Wall units matching base units, with a strong colour between both
    Ruth McGuinness thanked Edel Moran
  • Roger Bourne
    9 years ago
    Overhead cupboards. A more vib
    Ruth McGuinness thanked Roger Bourne
  • Roger Bourne
    9 years ago
    Overhead cupboards, more vibrant colour to the walls and back splash.
    Ruth McGuinness thanked Roger Bourne
  • Ruth McGuinness
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks everyone. I've ordered some very colourful advertising prints from the 50's that I love, once I have those and got them framed I will post some pictures. I have bar stools in off white with a raspberry cushion and some flowers here and there.
    I want to post once I have the colourful art work. Plus the Utility and the patio are being done as I type and the house is worse than a building site... yet again. Thank you all for your very helpful suggestions, I really appreciate it x
  • silyab53
    9 years ago
    WOW, what amazing ideas - who's up for forming an Interior Design Company around the UK - could be great fun!
    One thing not mentioned is that I would move the microwave immediately and put it where it has work surface at each side for safety.
    Where the micro was put a huge shallow glass brightly coloured bowl (TK Maxx/Ikea) and fill with either different coloured glass 'eggs' - Murano, Caithness etc, adding from each holiday or, which I've also done, fill with coloured crystal bauble string lights - I just drop them in and switch on when I feel like it.
    I've just bought a stunning Lava lamp - pink for my kitchen - tho' they come in a number of colours.
    There are some really funky fish tanks around too. I have a pink one shaped like a cats head ( lol as I have cats) and a square one, very architectural, with viewing 'shapes' cut out. They're no more then 6 inches high and some colourful fish prefer to be solo, or would you kill them along with the plants? Lol.
    Hope you manage to find great advice from all who answered you. Bee
    Ruth McGuinness thanked silyab53
  • silyab53
    9 years ago
    As an afterthought, I have 2 Teflon oven gloves - 1 red 1 pink (mad) which stand proud on my oven bar, which I see you have. Its another splash of colour but so practical to just pop my hands in and open the oven at the same time! Bee
    Ruth McGuinness thanked silyab53
  • Vikki Robb
    9 years ago
    How is it looking. Would love to see what you have changed. Love how much worktop space and well done on keeping it clutter free!
    Ruth McGuinness thanked Vikki Robb
  • Ruth McGuinness
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Its taken a while to find things I like..still looking for a bread bin. Will take a new photo today so you can see the work in progress :-) :-)
  • silyab53
    9 years ago
    @dabanger3 - sorry, didn't understand your comment re 'a first world problem'. Please elucidate. Bee
  • balmsy
    9 years ago
    Yes, exactly. First world problem ????
  • ruthholmstock
    9 years ago
    I absolutely love your kitchen but the hooks under your shelves are facing the wrong way, so you only see the bottom of the mugs that are hanging there. Can you turn them ninety degrees so the mugs can contribute their splashes of colour? I haven't read all the advice but has anyone suggested you move your hanging utensils to the right of the cooker. That would leave a fabulous space for a BIG picture. Poundstretcher do massive pictures at throwaway prices.
    Ruth McGuinness thanked ruthholmstock
  • Sven
    9 years ago
    I know this is an old thread but I like the kitchen already - all I think it needs is to put a fitted mirror on the end wall. It will add depth and provide a focus when viewing the kitchen. As per others feedback, more bold colours would help.
    Ruth McGuinness thanked Sven
  • tracy54a
    9 years ago
    A big plant in the corner where the toaster is will look great. If it's too dark there buy too and rotate weekly.
    Ruth McGuinness thanked tracy54a
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.