webuser_71660

Upcycling colour advice

Tani H-S
9 years ago
So after painting my wall a dark navy blue, I want to paint this old china cabinet (now a bookcase) up so it doesn't clash with my floor.

My dilemma is that on another post about my room, a few comments were made that both furniture items in each alcove should match - but does that mean in colour or just style??

The china cabinet I thought I would paint black (inside ive papered it with some old paper I had lying around which is a pale grey with yellow blossoms on) to match the console table on the other side, but I'm wondering if I go bolder and do it yellow or hot pink

Comments (57)

• PRO
    Jaimie K Designs Ltd
    9 years ago
    Hi Tania the cabinet is great in shape and size.yes yellow would work but maybe instead of black go with navy a little less harsh and will enhance the blue wall , very cool. would love to see it finished
  • PRO
    NuCasa
    9 years ago
    If you are handy with your paint brush what about using this for inspiration...
  • Related Discussions

Five New Washbasins and The Bonfire of the 'Vanities' OR upcycle?

Q

Comments (32)
    Hello Ro Ro, Just a little thought here.. you can create a whole range of storage that doesn't involve having something under the sink! Or you could have a back to wall floating unit.. Small and rectangular.. It does not have to look like they do now.. Also with certain taps you do need to look at the water pressure, if you want aerated taps etc.. If your taps have a good flow I am sure you won't have a problem.. :))
    ...See More

Upcycling IKEA wood?

Q

Comments (2)
    once you've primed them, you can use any finish you like, another alternative is chalk paint. I have made my own in the past and it works. Pinterest has some good hacks.
    ...See More

Upcycling 1970 built in bedroom furniture into a modern house? How?!

Q

Comments (1)
    Carpet is cloud grey.
    ...See More

Kitchen - upcycle or replace?

Q

Comments (19)
    Gravel Hill, thank you so much! It is quite reassuring to hear others' experiences with inherited kitchens - never heard of self-opening drawers before, but it could be one of the surprises this kitchen has in place for us :)). As a side thought, I need someone to invent a drawer that closes by itself after 2 minutes of being left open, as even after 12 years of daily nagging, my husband still leaves his socks and undies drawers open... It seems that the general consensus is that we should live with it as it is, see how it goes and then make plans. Really sensible advice... although I'm itching to make changes. Alright, I'll restrain myself to buying a 2 burners induction hob to place in the lower room (so I can safely cook spaghetti). And a tap. And a Quooker! Sorry, but I'm not waiting 6 months for those. As for changing the layout, that is something we will consider too, although we could also extend, and this is what's just outside of the kitchen door:
    ...See More
  • Emmanuelle
    9 years ago
    I would paint this cabinet nearly black, matt. ie: a very dark grey- and would paint the inside yellow, slightly mustardy ... Would be stunting!
  • cavgirl
    9 years ago
    If it's just the top that is problematic could you decoupage it but leave the rest alone? And just put a contrasting backing in? It's got a lovely patina, would be a shame to lose it.
  • PRO
    Stella Michael
    9 years ago
    It is a lovely piece and I agree that you could just decoupage or similar the top. I think black would make it disappear against the navy wall and would almost deaden the piece. The colour that complements blue of the colour wheel is orange, now that would look amazing! Gloss orange would fabulous or if you wanted a lighter colour maybe a softer peachy ... tone ... either would make it 'sing'. Nucasa above also makes an interesting suggestion with the pale blue.
  • Bella Tanner
    9 years ago
    A dark grey as opposed to black might be nice?
  • bagpuss2
    9 years ago
    If only the top is in poor condition look for someone who can either veneer it, or get glass cut to the shape and put that over a paper or other covering of your choice.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi, I love the colour against the blue as it looks amazing. However it clashes with the floor and the piece on the other side doesn't match ie it's matt black. I can paint the other piece to match this one - but not match the walnut.

The fire surround (when finished as not together yet) is white but I would consider painting that grey or black as well. It's a balance between lifting the colour of the dark wall and having too many colours on it. Ie walnut cabinet, white fire surround then black console table. Looks a mess, ha ha.

Not keen on orange but love mustard, hot pinks, yellow/green colours and greys.

This is a photo of the all to give you an idea. The right side is cluttered with stuff that won't be there after so please ignore the mess! I just moved it to do the skirting etc
  • PRO
    Stella Michael
    9 years ago
    Tani, thanks for the new photo, I see what you mean about clashing with the floor ... hot pink would be great since you love it as a colour (my favourite colour too!) and would look good with the white fireplace, The matt black would be fine on the other side or also paint it hot pink if you want more balance, that would look amazing ... so refreshing to see a room with some personality rather than mainly beige or grey. Would love to see the final version. I think it would be fine to leave the inside as it is or paint it a grey as you suggested.
  • Deb Jackson
    9 years ago
    Definitely yellow
  • la_marla
    9 years ago
    Definitely yellow or white. I would paint the black console too, as I think it is too dark. Again the colour would be either yellow or white. Good luck.
  • Sarah Alcroft
    9 years ago
    I would go white, and maybe paint your black piece white, too? Having the pattern inside is a lovely touch that really works
  • PRO
    Martin - Hudson & Gibson
    9 years ago
    I think the blue walls make the room very contemporary and if you add a strong pink orange colour, it will really draw the eye around the room and make the furniture pop! If you match both pieces, it could dullen the overall estetic.
  • honeypoppet
    9 years ago
    How about a mid-grey with new pink-including wallpaper?
  • charliesgrace
    9 years ago
    I have an alternative suggestion. I would embrace the walnut, paper a fun color inside the cabinet for a pop of color. Re-home the TV and add a walnut chair to the black desk. Accessorise in your color choice to draw the eye around the room. You don't really mention which is your intended focal point, the fireplace or the cabinet. But if you keep the walnut, you could place bold art where the mirror is and that fireplace would look amazing. It will work, as you have darker tones in your floor. Just my two cents, have fun!
  • toyinsoetan
    9 years ago
    How about unifying both pieces of furniture by painting with an antique silver and then using yellow as accent inside the cabinet and small objects on the desk A white contemporary chair and a colourful a postmodern print could finish off the eclectic look nicely
  • minnie101
    9 years ago
    Hi Tani. Assuming you want to keep the console black. Why not paint the cabinet black with yellow inside as before. Paint either the inglenook or fire surround in yellow and paint the urn yellow and place under the console. Or alternatively the surround in black and mirror frame in yellow. Is that too much now?! Annie Sloan granite looks as if it will match the console btw. Room is looking great.
  • PRO
    Stella Michael
    9 years ago
    Just came across this with a very similar colour scheme to the one you are considering ... it's a bedroom but worth a look. I think the yellow, orange or hot pink would all work ... more than work, I think they will look amazing!

https://www.houzz.co.uk/photos/2014-interior-design-excellence-awards-arentandpyke-the-avenue-contemporary-bedroom-sydney-phvw-vp~20292899
  • mrsmcee74
    9 years ago
    Charcoal and mustard would be fab with that blue.
  • minnie101
    9 years ago
    http://decoholic.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Gray-17-living-room.gif Great idea from Stella, have a look at this link (hope it works!)
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi all! Thanks so much for all your input.
    I can't move the tv - it's all wired up in that corner and the seating area is opposite it so it can't be moved now.

I am open to painting the fire surround and had intended to. Friends suggested the White pops on the wall and black/grey would just be too dull. However if I had bright colours in the alcoves and a bright framed picture above then it would work.

I'm still looking for artwork to go above the fire but could paint the mirror if not.

Would the rustoleum chalk paint in either charcoal (v dark grey) work better, or the anthracite? (Lighter grey)? I'm just not sure against the blue.

My ugly sofa is a silver grey and my curtains are black (but might swap for silvery ones eventually as they are too dark when closed!)

Lastly - I'm really struggling to find a good strong mustard colour paint that's not too pale or too yellow or too orange! The colour of the bed chaise is lovely in that photo
  • PRO
    Stella Michael
    9 years ago
    Tani the fire place looks great in white or a similar light colour otherwise it will just disappear which would be a shame. I loved Minnie's link too.

I had another look at your original photo and while I know what you mean about clashing with the floor, if you are having a rug to cover much of the floor I don't think it is a big deal as the floor has some darker parts too as someone else mentioned. I had the same problem in my bedroom and once I put the bed in and a few rugs the wooden pieces of different kinds of wood were fine. Especially if the fireplace has a bit of zing and a great picture on top. I also like the idea of just adding a walnut chair to the desk to balance the wood.

The other thing to consider is that a couple of old pieces in a room help to ground it, if all new it can look a bit plasticy. Same the other way round, the odd new piece on a room helps lift it. So if that is your only old piece would be a shame to cover it up.

I would happily buy an upcycled piece but couldn't bring myself to paint over it myself.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes I think that's why I'm having trouble - because I love walnut as its so warm and rich! I'm not into all new stuff tbh and prefer something less ikea style.
    My coffee table is the typical glass topped oblong with Queen Anne curved legs (like the cabinet shape). I like old with good shape but want to bring it more up to date.

Would it look odd if I painted the inside back and bottom shelf and the bottom leg section a bright colour?? And left the main body walnut? That might break it up off the floor?

I won't be having a huge rug in there for a while due to a new puppy (thinks rugs are grass, ho hum) but I will have to put one down when we come to sell.

The tv is fairly low on the wall and take up a lot of space so I can't put many tall things on the console or, put a chair under it. It's there more to hold the sound bar on and when the skirting is done, will hold the logs underneath it. I guess that will bring some wood into the alcove then so might balance it out a bit more.

Humm, why is it so hard to make a decision on these, ha ha.

Oh and the urn is a lamp base - it's bronze with a 3d pattern on it so i don't really want to paint it. I can put that in another room anyway once I've decided what shade will go with it.
  • William Hodgson
    9 years ago
    I might be a tad controversial here but some furniture looks great painted,improved even,whilst on others it's tantamount to vandalism. This is a beautiful old China cabinet which if manufactured today would cost a small fortune. In its present state it blends effortlessly with your decor and looks utterly charismatic. Re paper the interior by all means, but leave the brushes and Farrow and Ball paint in the shed. Enjoy this beautiful piece of furniture history for what it is.
  • minnie101
    9 years ago
    Hi Tani. Sorry re the "urn", difficult to tell from pics! Another option, how bad is the top of the cabinet? Have you considered restoration or something to put over any damage and then just painting the inside? Although the legs blend slightly with the floor, the cabinet as a whole does really stand out against the blue. Rethinking this, the floor has yellow tones in it so I'm not sure painting the legs yellow will give you the effect you want? I can't find the right colour mustard either, you may have to mix.. It will be good to see a pic once the fire surround is complete. The White surround does stand out on the wall but I'm not sure this is the effect you are after? I assume the fire surround is wood so easy to rectify if you don't like the colour. It's a shame about the sofa but you will have a lovely wall to look at!
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ha ha. Yes indeed. I really wanted a beautiful leather sofa on legs in black which would have worked with the whole look. Hopefully in our next place I will get my sofa.

Re painting the legs - yes you are correct Minnie re the floor tones. I got a sample of yellow mixed last night but it really doesn't suit the floor at all.

So, I've decided to leave it at natural and just repaint the inside I think with either a raspberry/hot pink or a yellow/lime colour. The colour just works really well with the wall - I agree.

I have mustard in the kitchen (which is grey & white and it works beautifully here).

I'm also going to look for a similar piece for the alcove and ditch the black one - just to offer some balance.

I also bought a fab all white antler effect lamp yesterday and on top of the unit it really brings the fire surround together with it. Adding some bright & eclectic picture frames above I think will give it a bit more oomph as well.

Thanks for all your help guys - it was much appreciated!
  • teenytinyhouse
    9 years ago
    Don't forget to post an "after" picture! :)
  • Catherine Hounslow
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

If its an antique I would leave it . The wood itself has a beautiful quality -is it flame mahogany?

• Juliet Docherty
    8 years ago

Beautiful room. I would keep the cabinet as it is, it gives character to the room, maybe disguise top with some upright contemporary ceramics (handmade). I would move the console to somewhere else and place the tv much lower above a very low wooden piece of furniture, this I think would help to emphasise the fireplace. I would also replace the rectangular mirror with either a painting or something circular to break up the straight lines. If you look at the small picture as an 'abstract' there are 5 rectangles all wanting attention and I think it looks a bit crowded. Good luck, it is really hard resolving these issues.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I never thought about a round mirror but yes, that would work much better.
    I have moved the mirror already but can't find a picture I like to put above there.

The cabinet is just a 30's walnut effect veneer/laminate. It is lovely but I think I really need a classic sofa to pull off the vintage effect it gives and I don't have one.
  • PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago

I think a modern sofa would look great/better otherwise it all starts to look a bit dated. I'd keep things as they are and get a great rug ... large and with a bit of colour and a good sofa and once the fireplace is the focal point then these pieces will just complement the room rather than stand out.

I would wait until you finish the fireplace ... is the mantle up yet? and then maybe post another picture. Do you have one of the rest of the room?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I would love a new sofa but I'm banned as we plan on moving next year,
  • PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago

What kind of sofa do you have now?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Oh I did write more on my last post but it's disappeared! Lol.

Er, it's a kind of pale grey slouch sofa that's comfy but a bit ugly
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    So this is the room so far. The TV needs loosening as I can't get it back against the wall as its so stiff! (Heavy duty bracket)
    Also the bi fold doors need painting as they are the original 60's Orange wood, lol.
    I was going to paint them white & maybe add some thin beading to give a classic look

Oh except Houzz is playing up and won't let me take or add a photo, grrr. It's been doing this for a while now! Have to report it.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Have given up trying to post a photo.

However I have uploaded a few now to my Living Room album if you can access it?
  • PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago

Hi Tani, yes I could get into your album, was very helpful. Firstly I would let go of the idea that both sides need to be 'matching', this is quite a traditional concept and can make a room feel a bit boring. I would say it helps to have them balanced as opposed to matching ... in bulk and height. For example I have a low truck with my TV on it and a painting higher up on one side of my fireplace and then a wide armchair which is about the same height as the top of the TV and a painting above that, again the same height as the other side and it looks good.

I agree with someone earlier that suggested you put your TV much lower. Consider having the centre of your screen at about eye level when you are sitting down, this also makes it a comfortable height so you don't squish the back of your neck to watch it. This will then be more balanced with the cabinet on the other side.

Are you gong to paint the bi-fold doors? White? Once that wood is covered I think your cabinet will feel much more comfortable in the room. What about painting the coffee table a raspberry colour, a warm turquoise would also work, adding some more patterned cushions, change the dark curtains for some pattern and colour. The white walls and white sheer curtains also make the room look quite cold.

Your sofa is fine for now, just don't decorate around it if you want a different one. What were you thinking of getting? Colour/style? Also once you choose a colourful patterned rug and a piece of artwork then choose colours from those to connect it all. Plants also add life and warmth, go for some softer shaped leaves, you can put a smaller one on the cabinet, maybe even ivy falling down the side. I would wait until you finish your fireplace before you make any major changes to see what it will look like.

I didn't read all the other comments but does any of that help?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello,

yes thank you. We have fitted the fireplace though so not sure if you have seen all the photos? It's the white Louis style fire surround.... Or do you mean decorating above it sorry?

I wanted a black leather off-the-floor style sleek sofa but we won't get another one now until we move so the room is being decorated more to show off to potential buyers now.

Yes the doors will be white and I still need to paint the skirting of course.

I was thinking of some sort of blue & white trellis patterned curtains or, just a plain colour. I don't 'do' curtains as I prefer blinds but this window was too huge for cheap blinds so I resorted to cheap silk effect curtains as a temporary measure.

I have 2 large plants in the room and did have one by the cabinet in the corner (which I just moved) but a small one would look nice there.

Only thing I can't do is to move the TV. It is fixed to the wall with a heavy duty bracket and we put it as low as we thought looked right from sitting on the sofa. It tilts down so we can watch it easily without craning our necks.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago

p.s meant to ask - I have always been happy with white walls and one feature colour and have never really painted anything else (tones etc) but if I were to paint the walls in the lounge a softer (or warmer??) colour that's not yellow toned (hate creams and magnolias) then what would go with the deep navy blue?

My inspiration for the colour really came from rooms in my living room ideabook - where the rest of the room was white and crisp. I want to add that freshness into the room but greys don't seem to work as well against the blue.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Just a thought, but do you think it would be overkill If I painted the bi fold door wall and the window wall also in blue?? Then there would just be the White bi folds and the back white wall left. I could swap the black curtains for white with pattern on and perhaps add more white into the alcoves etc?
  • PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago

I though the Louis fireplace was the one you were removing. Ok so if you are just selling it I wouldn't do much more to it. It just needs warming up/livening up. I saw you had a plant but it's rather tall thin and spiky - not very tactile. This room is rather 'yang' ... cold colours, straight lines, sparsely decorated and feels like it needs more life. Best way to do this is colour, texture, pattern. Plants are actually alive so a few more, even small ones that are softer, rounder leaves etc. If you are changing the curtains I would go for a pattern that's more fluid with a number of colours in it. Same with the cushions. I found the pictures in your ideas book of other blue rooms quite cool too (and the gold clashes with the blue/white) although if you notice they have some older pieces of furniture which tend to have a warmer lived in feel, your cabinet as it is adds a lot to this. They also have softer plants (orchids, hydrangeas) look at their yellow rounded cushion. All those details make a difference.

I big thing to consider is climate/geography. Navy and white are cold so if you live in a warm climate they may feel refreshing, on the UK I would feel cold in a navy and white room. We react to colours and they can change our experience of a room by 5-6C just by looking at them. (scientifically proven)

Also people tend to think of blues, greens as cold and reds, yellows, oranges as warm whereas most colours have warm and cold versions. If you look at your flooring (cold) compared to your bi-fold doors (warm) you will see that not all browns are the same. tomato red for example has yellow in it so is warmer whereas dark cherry red has blue in it to is a cooler version of red. Once you paint the doors the room will feel even colder. Also the texture of the laminate floor is 'cold' as it is shiny and artificial looking. A big colourful rug (texture) would warm it up.

With regards to wall colours ... I'd suggest not starting with the wall colour. Buy a gorgeous painting or rug or even a cushion and then be inspired by the colours in that for sofas etc and finally choose the wall colour after than. You mention black leather, again, a cold colour, heavy colour and shiny ... all very yang. If you want this then the setting you put it in will make a big difference ... personally I would step away from the black, just explore. What about a blue velvet sofa, since you like blue and do something different to the walls.

Have a look at this article. It isn't my style, still too cold but can you see where she has added texture (fur, rugs, fabric curves), pattern, details (plants rounder), more personal loved items and being an older home with cornices etc it doesn't feel so cold and sharp.

https://www.houzz.co.uk/magazine/houzz-tour-a-family-home-in-hamburg-with-a-touch-of-scandi-style-stsetivw-vs~48800571?utm_source=Houzz

Cold is not just about temperature. E.g. older style furniture, esp make of wood tends to be warmer ... softer shapes and more substance (life lived), things like elaborate cornicing, whereas newer modern style furniture, often painted or white/straight lines etc feels cooler/fresher/lighter (younger) ... some of both in a room really makes it feel balanced. Think of it as a family (or any group) ... parents bring experience, wisdom and safety, children bring laughter, fun and lightness ... a good combination.

Note: once you choose navy for your walls then it's hard to warm it up as cream will clash and I know you don't like it anyway. What about a different blue? More of a teal, this has a touch of yellow so you can add mustards, burnt orange, warm turquoise etc.

Phew, that's lots from me ... most of all, put yourself in the room and it helps to look for inspiration out in the world rather than just other people's rooms. For me the cabinet with all your things in it & books is the best part of the room. I trust that all helps ...

• PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago

We overlapped, have a read of my comments above first. I wouldn't do too much else. Go for the accessories, you can take those with you.

• PRO
    Akiva Projects Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello,

Yellow or red would look much much better but I think yellow would be the best as it would suit your wall paint colour. I definitely wouldn't go for pale grey cause then you would end up having cold colours all over. A yellow can accentuate your wall.

I strongly believe that when mixing and matching styles, there is no right or wrong. All you need is a bit of creativity and good taste.

Good luck with your Project!

StJames Design Interiors

• lindalovie55
    8 years ago

I would go for mid grey and extend the backing paper onto the bottom shelf. or be bold with tangerine paint. make a statement!

• Dawn Rimmer
    8 years ago

Don't paint it. It gives the room gravitas. Have a piece of mirror cut to cover the damaged top and put a low watt lamp on it. It will add an interesting up-light.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Hi, i see what you mean about it clashing with the floor. I wouldn't paint the fireplace, it's the only thing breaking up the lovely colour on the wall. I'd paint the cupboard Mustard yellow. A couple of different types of paint have been mentioned, Rustoleum ( a pig to paint with, very runny ), Chalk paints ( terrible finish ). We use 90% of the time Duluz Trade Professional in Satinwood., you can have this mixed to whatever shade you like, and it sets like a dream. By the way, those cabinets are a pig to paint. You cannot paint properly unless you sand and prime first. The tiny little framework holding the glass in is awful to try and sand without hitting the glass with the sandpaper. Make sure you mask all the glass off before you begin and be careful sanding as the whole thing is thin veneer, you can easily get 'bare patches' and flaking!

• bagpuss2
    8 years ago

French polish or get the cabinet top veneered?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi all! I actually went with a mid grey chalk paint in the end with a polish over it. It worked really well and will be easy to remove/paint over should my decor change in our next house. The grey goes with the sofa as I'm stuck with it for a while.
  • Dawn Rimmer
    8 years ago

good idea. i have used mid grey chalk paint with great success. sensible choice.

• hillary59
    7 years ago

Well done , sounds a nice colour, !!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.