robinmaria

Open Plan Flow/arrangement

robinmaria
9 years ago
We are planning a ground floor extension which will result in this large kitchen-dining room area.
The obvious place for the kitchen to go is on the right hand side where there is also a door that will lead to the utility room.
1. One problem we are facing is how to arrange the rest of the space so as to include an everyday “living” area with a sofa and TV and a “dining” area with a dining table and 6 chairs. The plan at the moment is to go into this room via a set of double doors from the entrance hall.
2. There are 2 further issues we are trying to address:
a. When you enter the room what is it best to have? nothing, or the sofa or the dining table? what will flow better without being suffocating?
b. We were thinking of making a bigger opening (than just a double door) from the entrance hall to the open plan space, and also not to have double doors between the big room and adjacent drawing room, just some some sort of glass frame around the wall. As it is on the plan, it feels that there are too many doors leading to rooms and this misses that grand flow between spaces.
3. We are also struggling to find a space on a wall for a TV in the open plan. As the plan shows, there will be bi-fold doors leading to the garden and there is also a door on the left leading to the patio outside. Is it really necessary to have this door or is it better to have a wall there in order to create a more cosy corner for the TV+sofa?
Any ideas would be more than welcome.

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.