ellielederle

Need help in the Man Cave Renovation......

ellielederle
9 years ago
Working on the house in the High North of Norway, really couldn't get much further north without falling of the continent... We have a basement room which is about 34msq, we we are to convert from dumping ground to useful space. Understandably DH wanted a oldish English pub feel to it, where he could have pals around to watch the football. I agreed as long as we could hide a bed in it to double up as a guest room so guests can have their own space. So agreements made, plans "drawn up" on good old sketch up (a brief out line attached, and even more so, DH can visualise the outcome.

however we are having issues, with the proposed murphy bed and TV options. Initially we had thought to have a retractable projector screen hdden in the ceiling above the bed, and a similarly hidden projector hidden in the ceiling at the other end. However the preference is actually for a large flat screen TV. We have found that their is a company in the UK that has a wonderful idea of a fold down with extension system so it can be hidden in the ceiling, but that they describe as needing on average about 12" ceiling, we know the ceiling is to be lowered but that is a bit more than we are happy with.

We have seen some lovely "murphy" beds on an american website, (flying beds) that can have a flat screen TV integrated into the underside of the bed so when the bed is in use it remains untouched and off the floor. Which to use sounds ideal. However I cannot find anywhere (yet) that does this in Europe, let alone Norway or anywhere in Scandinavia. All the companies I have approached in the UK are unable to integrate the TV within the murphy bed. Is there some legislation regarding this, I cant see how when there are TV's in the footend of the beds.

My questions are, does anyone have a murphy bed, with integrated TV, or any similar conversions that could give us ideas? If anyone has contacts with murphy bed construction I would appreciate an introduction. We have gone as far as to contact the american company but have not yet heard back from them, so at the right price we will consider importing but it does have to be the right solution. Many thanks for your help!

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.