dcomisso

Help figuring out best way to extend

dcomisso
9 years ago
We’re a family of 4.5 (two young kids and a dog), living in a 3-bed semi detached chalet bungalow. Our current ground floor layout consists of a tiny hall, decent size living room open plan to dining room, and a small galley kitchen. There is a garage attached to the side of the house which is used for storage only. We’re fortunate to have a reasonably-sized back garden, approximately 8x8m.

We are considering extending and reconfiguring the ground floor space to accommodate: a proper hall, living room, dining room, larger kitchen with an island, family room and a kids’ play area/room. We’re keen on the open plan feel for these new spaces, as we envisage spending most of our family time there. We’d also like to add a downstairs WC and small utility area, perhaps pinching space from the existing garage to accommodate.

Please see photo 1 for floor plan of our house as it is now. Photo 2 reflects plans previous owners had approved, however we don't feel they are right for us (mainly because we'd like a sense of openness with a hall leading into the new extension, that space then in turn opening out to the garden). Photo 3 depicts some initial ideas we considered of how the space might work better for us.

We’re only beginning our renovation journey, so are open to all possibilities in terms of extending back, side return, knocking down walls, etc. Back and side extension would be south-facing so would enjoy good sunlight and garden view. We are keen to gather as many different ideas as possible to help us figure out the best possible configuration our family can enjoy for many years to come. If you have any thoughts and suggestions, they would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for your time!

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.