emma_staples

Bungalow floorplan and exterior remodel - help needed!

Emma Staples
9 years ago
Hi all, I'm really hoping you can help me. This is my first post to Houzz. Usually I just get ideas and read everyone else's great posts.

We're buying a 1970s bungalow in the UK with a quirky yet versatile layout. The key selling point is the view over open meadows and a private, sheltered garden with windows galore opening out onto the garden.

It's in need of modernisation inside and I intend to vault the lounge ceiling, add a utility where the closet loo is, install bifold doors along the rear and redecorate throughout, but that's not the problem.

1. Crucially (as it's been extended and previously used by two sisters having half the house each) the layout doesn't flow and there's a redundant door and hallway. I've drawn what I think is the cheapest, less invasive option that makes the best use of space. What do you think? We don't have budget for radical remodels but are not afraid of work and mess.

2. The bathroom is small and quite dark because of the garage. Sun tubes?

3. Externally, the front is a bit drab and I'd like something more modern, or the ideal would be a pretty little porch. However we've never done any external remodelling before so I've no idea how much any of this work costs or whether you can do some yourself. I love one pic on Houzz already of a craftsman porch on a gable end bungalow, if it's feasible and permitted. I'm thinking render and wood cladding as a basic option if nothing else is possible.

4. Finally, I've no idea if it's possible to integrate the garage into the main bungalow. I really don't like how it's out on a limb and it obscures light into the bathroom. There is additional parking space for four cars on the left of the bungalow if we wanted it. But that might be a stretch too far.

I've attached the current floor plan, my suggested version and an image of the front. I have a rear view if you can't envisage but can't attach more than four here.

Thanks in advance pros!

Emma

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.