kaym10

Reconfiguration of 1930's detached house

kaym10
9 years ago
We moved here 6 months ago with a plan to reconfigure and put an extension within the existing footprint to take advantage of the rear garden (small) and beautiful views over open countryside. The previous owners have already obtained planning permission for 2 storey extension and to convert the garage to a bedroom but we do not need that much additional space.
We are struggling to decide how best to go ahead and any ideas would be welcome.
Upstairs we want to make the rear bedroom the master bedroom, the current family bathroom will become the ensuite. We plan to use a partition wall to make a corridor to allow the current ensuite to become the family bathroom with much needed storage at the end. We originally planned to put a Juliette balcony on rear bedroom. I am now wondering if we are missing the chance to have more space here and will regret not doing more with this.
Downstairs we want to make a large open plan living area at the rear with one large or two sets of sliding doors. We are considering a gable or pitched roof with velux windows in the kitchen area. I plan to reuse the existing oak kitchen units and add an island to complement them. We want to include a wood burning stove. Do we need a rear door in addition to sliding doors. Unfortunately there is not room for this on the right hand side but we have space on the left. We plan to put utility/ boot room and toilet/shower room in the back of the garage. If possible I want to preserve the walk-in pantry under the stairs but I am not sure if this will fit . The current plans include a small study between the front reception room and open plan living area. I want to incorporate this. We currently use the 4 th bedroom as a study and I want to restore this to a bedroom.
I appreciate I am asking lots of questions here. I think I need a clearer idea of what we want before speaking to a professional
I am posting photos the approved plan for downstairs and existing configuration. Thank you for any ideas/advice

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.