luke_redpath

Lounge/dining room blank slate

Luke Redpath
9 years ago
Firstly forgive the mess in the photos, we only moved in 3 weeks ago. Our lounge dining room is quite a typical 1930s layout, with the dividing wall removed. Two chimney breasts with alcoves.

I've always had an overall vision but details are giving us headaches, especially colours! You can probably see on the photo we have been experimenting with tester pots today!

We took the 90s gas fire out and mounted the TV. The chimney is having a stud frame built around it to conceal wires and a recess for the mount will mean the TV can go right up to the wall without sticking out too much.

My plan is to make two traditional alcove cabinets (I'm going to try anyway) for each side and we will have floating shelves above each one. One cabinet will house the AV equipment. I don't want visible cables anywhere. Rear speaker cables will be chased into the wall.

We are having the whole room replastered (skimmed) and ripping out all the existing skirting and architrave. Coving is staying (we have just removed it from the wall so the stud framework can be built - it will be replaced).

I've always fancied the idea of a warm grey and we looked at elephants breath and skimming stone by f&b today. My wife doesn't like elephants breath under artificial light at all - she says it's too dark/green. We have also tried Cornforth White. Woodwork will be white, probably Wimbourne White.

We like the idea of an accent wall and we are leaning towards painting the alcoves a darker colour. We have got samples of Pelt and Brinjal but also like the idea of a teal colour.

Flooring will be decent quality laminate, probably a medium brown/grey oak.

The thing is, I'm struggling to picture the end result and am willing to remain open minded to completely different ideas. We haven't thought too much about the dining room. Should we treat it as one big room or maybe do something completely different?

All furniture you see is temporary (I have other plans for the red wingback chair) so we really do have the opportunity to do anything, budget permitting.

In the future we'd love to replace the old aluminium patio sliding doors that lead to the conservatory with some wooden bifolds but that will have to wait for now.

What would you do?

Comments (37)

• Luke Redpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I forgot to mention my biggest annoyance - the dark brown uPVC windows. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to prime and paint them and do a good job. I might experiment on the spare bedroom window. It just doesn't go with what we want to do so we have to either live with them or paint them.

We did at one point consider shutters but thought white shutters over the dark windows might look weird. Would it?
  • PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    9 years ago
    You have got quite a complicated vision - my suggestion would be to finish the walls and make the alcove shelves, paint the walls - either colour but elephant grey looks stunning - if your wife really does not like it afterwards, it is only a coat of paint. It is very difficult to see a colour unless the whole room has been done. You will obviously need to add colour tones in accessories, but that is later. Having done this you will be in a better position to see what you really want to keep or replace (glad to hear you have other plans for the chair). You have got to be careful not to fill this room with too much. Shutters would look good, and would soften the dark windows.
  • Related Discussions

Period dining room ideas.

Q

Comments (28)
    Hi Laure, I guess it comes down to personal taste but I'm a big fan of white painting everything, quite literally brightens my day, particularly in winter. And a white backdrop allows you to introduce colour in a more flexible way. So thumbs up for that. My recommendation would be (might be repeating what others have suggested already): 1) remove the carpets + sand and varnish/paint the floorboards underneath, if in a bad state consider lino/vinyl as an affordable alternative - either plain or patterned: consider painting the wooden shutters and fireplace 3) as most others suggested, browse charity shops, reclamation yards and Ebay for art, mirrors etc and not only look at what it is but also what it could be if you repurpose or paint it. Putting frames up in clusters is great, I personally prefer large canvas - with a bit of confidence you can create abstract art yourself 4) add flowers or potted plants 5) finally, lighting is everything. Go for indirect lighting, invest in multiple light sources and go for dimmers. From what I can tell the room's key asset isn't size but its comfy atmosphere - try to highlight that by working with a 'less is more' attitude. I would focus on lighting, flowers and one or two striking pieces. (-> Ignore my carpet comment, I read above that they're brand new) Good luck!
    ...See More

Dining room design

Q

Comments (57)
    Welllll... I have replaced the lights with very basic Ikea flush lights and painted the end wall dark grey. I like it much better already. Am planning to put something (not sure what that elusive something is!) on the grey accent wall, and possibly a line of frames on the long wall. I'm going to lose the pineapples (I have another location for them) and probably get something else to go on the 3 windowsills. All set for 18 guests tomorrow!!
    ...See More

Help with curtains for brown lounge-diner ... its driving me nuts!

Q

Comments (5)
    Hello, think I would go with the plain neutral colour curtains or a blind. Has the same problem with colour of sofa, it looked mid brown in shop, but when it turned up looked really dark. Also have a beige carpet. At first had beige walls but now are painted white, looks better, with one wall brown and beige patterned wallpaper from Osbourne and little (its beautiful but too grand for our semi). Have got one old red leather Ikea chair, which I quite like with the brownsofa so have 2 faded red cushions on sofa to tie in scheme. Medium grey rug suprisingly goes with everything! The wooden bookcases make it more homely and warm. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea but to me its cosy and comfortable!!
    ...See More

lounge remodel help

Q

Comments (7)
    Beautiful room. I agree with Carolina, start with the furniture and flooring and then choose the wall colour. Then you can add accessories such as curtains, cushions, throws and art. As the room has a lovely country style I think Laura Ashley will be a good place to start. The curtain fabrics are stunning. Furniture Village also have good quality traditional style furniture. The showstopper in your room is that lovely fireplace so I wouldn’t put a tv above it. A tv unit or something where the parrot art is, as Carolina suggested, would look more in keeping. I’m sharing below some pics of country style living rooms which I hope you will like. I love the sage green walls in the first pic.
    ...See More
  • laurz84
    9 years ago
    How about Dulux Just Walnut. I looked for ages for a pale grey and this was my favourite...
  • PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    9 years ago
    We have Dulux Just Walnut on most of the walls of our apartment, and unfortunately for Dulux, what you see in the tin bears no resemblance to the dried colour. We have had Dulux for years, but are now in the process of changing this what now looks like a dirty white to Valspar, who have hundreds of hues in each colour. This photo is Just Walnut and Urban Obsession.
  • PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    9 years ago
    The photo again bears no resemblance. Just Walnut is on the Middle strip
  • Luke Redpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    @ensign accessories - so you don't think white wooden shutters over the top of brown upvc would look weird? It would be an expensive mistake to make!

The problem with Elephant's Breath is that it looks nice in daylight - it even has lilac undertones that match well with both Pelt and Brinjal but at night under artificial light it takes on quite a dark, greigy tone.

We're also considering Skimming Stone and Cornforth White. Just Walnut looks nice, I was also considering Dusted Moss 2 by Dulux.

Any views on whether accenting the alcoves is a good or bad idea?
  • Luke Redpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We also plan to get that huge monster of a radiator removed and replaced with a smaller, newer one (that still gives sufficient heat) under the bay window. It still won't be the most attractive thing in the world (all of the cool designer radiators are a little bit too high to fit unfortunately) but it will free that wall up at least.
  • Helen C
    9 years ago
    Regarding paint colours I have used skimming stone and cornforth White throughout my house. Both are nice but I've also used purbeck stone (f&b) which is a fantastic colour. My accent colours will be railings and stiffkey blue when I get round to finishing the house decor. I agree with your view on elephants breath. I think it's quite a difficult colour to get right.
  • headers13
    9 years ago
    I would spend the money getting the window replaced above anything as upvc with stained glass is really not very nice at all (sorry ! ). I think alcoves would look great. Could you not sand & keep the original floor rather than laminate ? Wimborne white is great on walls as well have it in most rooms. Strong White F&B has a slight grey to it & then put a darker grey inside the alcoves. Good idea on radiator.
  • PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    9 years ago
    I am not familiar with Elephant's Breath (weird name for a colour), but from the Dulux range Perfectly Taupe and Chic Shadow are not nearly as dark as the colour chart. Perfectly Taupe is just one shade darker than Just Walnut, which is a bit of a weak colour. Agree about relocating the radiator - modern radiators are much smaller and much more efficient. Would then give you more choice with furniture location.
  • PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    9 years ago
    Just noticed - accenting alcoves - ok in a large room, but I would keep the walls the same colour if I were you - stretches space then.
  • mrsmcee74
    9 years ago
    After buying endless tester pots of Farrow & Ball at £4 a pop looking for the perfect warm grey for my kitchen, I ended up with Dulux Egyptian Cotton. It's a good neutral if you're adding some strong colour into the room.
  • pannacotta
    9 years ago
    I would also suggest changing the window if possible and sanding the floor rather than using laminate which is never as nice as real boards.
    Once they are done I think (plus the cupboards etc) I think it will be easier to work out colours and furniture.
  • minnie101
    9 years ago
    I agree re keeping the original floor. It looks as if you just need to patch up where the hearth was. We had our parquet floor sanded and revarnished for I think just under £700 but it was a bigger space than this. I would treat both rooms as one but you can use different accent colours in each to define the space. What way does the room face re choice of colour? If you don't have the budget to replace the window, why not get a decorator in if you're worried about doing it? What do you like in terms of style?
  • Luke Redpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Unfortunately I don't think sanding the boards will work. They aren't great, I'm not a fan of pine and there's the big strip of concrete down the middle to contend with.

We are also playing around with the idea of teal. We both like the look in the attached image. I think we need to play around with more colours.

We discussed the possibility of going much darker all round in the dining room as a contrast with the living room. Treating them as separate rooms is a lot harder I think.
  • Luke Redpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The room at the lounge end faces North East by the way.
  • Luke Redpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    There's no way we can change the windows. Too big an expense. I'm open to the idea of painting them, it's just a big step as there is no going back.
  • pannacotta
    9 years ago
    Paint the windows for sure, the dark brown is not a good look. You can stain pine floors dark so you can barely see the grain or paint them. |Could the concrete not be removed and replaced with boards? Or painted over?
  • garethhardy
    9 years ago
    Get yourself a clear heater ;)
  • Luke Redpath
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sorry but I'm not that interested in sanding the floorboards. I don't fancy getting that concrete out, I'm not a big fan of pine and it won't exactly help keep the room warm due to drafts from subfloor ventilation. Insulating under the floor isn't a great option for us as there is already a limited amount void under the floor for airflow.
  • minnie101
    9 years ago
    Why don't you try a light oak floor? The yellows and oranges in the oak should warm the room. If you want to go for teal, maybe try a warm shade. You don't need to do the walls all in one colour, you could pair it with a creamy white. Opt for a striking wallpaper on the dining room fireplace wall such as you've attached and add one teal chair or sofa in the lounge end. The odd few yellow accessories as per the one pictured will also warm it.
  • lottys
    8 years ago
    These are from Mr central heating and column rads I think . We have decorated our kitchen and snug in railings and pavilion grey . I will attach a few photos . I have decided to do a colonial feel in our lounge . Aspidistra plant , chinoiserie cabinet , velvet sofa etc . In the hall the bee paper from f and b the grey version . In our on suite we are using tiles from mandarin stone , I will attach a photo and in the main bedroom the orangerie wallpaper from f and b in the black colour with elephants breath and railings paint . Will use high white skirting and have two white built in wardrobes with French type doors and have over painted a very large peacock picture to go on the big wall and bought a large old white french mirror for the other wall and with oak floors . Sorry just a few ideas as it takes me ages to pick colours etc . I think sometimes dark colours can really pop with white woodwork and pictures etc . We may also usesplitface tiles on the chimney Brest in the Lounge .
  • lottys
    8 years ago
    More photos
  • lottys
    8 years ago
    More photos inc wallpaper
  • lottys
    8 years ago
    More photos
  • lottys
    8 years ago
    Bee wallpaper
  • PRO
    A Life More Beautiful
    8 years ago
    I think you are approaching this back to front. Start with your fabrics or artwork and then choose your colours to complement this. There are so many paint colours available that it is easy to match the wall colours to accessories rather than the other way around.
  • Luke Redpath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The problem with those radiators is that they don't give out nearly as much heat as a modern radiator.

Anyway, we've had the room plastered and literally do have a blank slate right now with all the walls mist coated and white ready to paint. We also decided to paint the windows white and its still a work in progress, but looking better already.

We've narrowed our flooring down to a shortlist of 4. This is probably my favourite right now:

http://www.quick-step.co.uk/laminate/impressive/IM1855_soft-oak-natural

My wife and I are still disagreeing about how to paint the room. I want to use a unified colour scheme but paint the living room lighter and the dining room darker to create a contrast and different feeling in each room - light and calm in the living room, intimate in the dining room. The colour scheme would be a light warm neutral/gray (leaning towards Skimming Stone, F&B) with Wimborne White woodwork and the same flooring throughout (and into the hall). We were thinking about using shades of mauve (mostly muted grey/purple with a few brighter fabrics) and I think it would look great to paint the entire dining room in a grey/purple colour to match. I think it would be tied together as one colour scheme but with the contrast but my wife thinks it would look odd and it should be decorated as one single room.

Any thoughts? Maybe something like Dulux Pressed Thistle:

dulux pressed thistle

• Luke Redpath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Or perhaps something a little bolder - Palladian Plum. Maybe the pressed thistle is too cold.

palladian plum

• Luke Redpath
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Just wanted to revisit this old post. Our living room and dining room are now about 90% complete. Thanks for all your advice, I hope to share some photos on here soon.
  • charlie_bill
    8 years ago

Any photos Luke? About to embark on a similar project! Interested to know how the colours worked out as we have an East facing lounge to decorate and radiators & sofas to choose!

• Luke Redpath
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for the comment. I never did get around to updating this. Thanks everyone for your input. Here's some photos - nothing like the amazing professional photos on Houzz I'm afraid, just taken on my iPhone with the room lights on as its very dull today.

In the end I managed to convince my wife to go for a light/dark theme. She was worried the dining room would feel very dark but it really doesn't. We love the distinct feel it gives both the living and dining room. Open plan so a feeling of space but feels like two distinct rooms in their own right.

For those who like detail...

Paint wise we have used Earthborn clay paint. The living room is Feather Pillow (a very warm neutral grey which reminds me a bit of Skimming Stone). It can look very grey in the north facing daylight but not too cold and warms up beautifully in the evening. I love having the ceiling light dimmed low with the table lamp on.

The dining room is Damson Mousse. I love how this changes colour through the day. Sometimes it's more purple sometimes it's very soft and warm, almost aubergine.

We also used Earthborn in our bedroom (Cupboard Love). In hindsight it was a poor choice for the dining room because it has almost no durability. It will take a brush against the wall but any liquid splashes ruin it (except for pure water which just evaporates out as its so breathable). It wouldn't be so bad if it touched up nicely and the lighter colours in the living room and bedroom do touch up well but the purple touches up terribly unfortunately.

All woodwork, including the shelves which I had made by a local carpenter and the alcove cabinets, which I made myself, are painted in Loft White Intelligent Emulsion by Little Greene.

You'll notice I did successfully paint the brown uPVC window frames and have had quite a few compliments. The black rubber gaskets were removed for painting and the frames had two coats of Zinsser BIN, a coat of acrylic primer undercoat (I used Leyland) and a topcoat. The wood grain effect on the frames makes it look very realistic. I also replaced the gold coloured handles for chrome ones.

The floor is QuickStep Impressive in Soft Oak Natural and continues into the hall. We found a very good local fitter who also fit all of our new skirting board and architraves.

The shutters are from a company called Shutterly Fabulous who are on Houzz I think. They supplied, measured and fitted and were a very reasonable £1200. We bought a set of their DIY shutters from their sister company California Shutters which I fitted myself in the bedroom.

A few other details...the living room chimney has a false stud frame around it which conceals the wiring down to the left cupboard which contains all the AV gear. It also allows the TV bracket, mounted to the real chimney, to be recessed to get the TV right up to the wall. The room has hard wired 5.1 speaker terminals run under the floor and buried in the walls, all terminated at a 5.1 speaker wall plate in the left alcove. There is also 4x gigabit Ethernet ports in the left cupboard which terminate back at my network cabinet under the stairs. Most of the house lights are remote control and can be controlled by physical remotes, iPhones etc. Using LightwaveRF technology.

Both radiators were replaced and the living room radiator moved under the bay window (the love seat does not stop it heating the room). Fitted with decent chrome valves and pipe snaps and chrome roses to conceal the copper.

Sofa and love seat are from sofa.com. Both are part of the Isla range.

Ceiling lights and lamps are from John Lewis. The dining room light was off centre which I realised after we decorated but I'm a bit OCD about things like that so I moved it over (fortunately the carpet was already up in my daughter's room above fit plastering and decoration and there was plenty of slack wire). Rug, throw, cushions and dining chairs are from Next. Plant and pot were a bargain in Homebase. New oak doors were bought online.

Finally, the sideboard is from Cotswold Co and the side tables from a local shop. Both are far eastern imports to save money. The side tables are excellent quality, the sideboard less so but you get what you pay for. We invested a bit more in the dining table which is solid European oak (from Lithuania I think).

Anyway I think that covers it. Hope you like it. Any questions please ask and sorry for any typos as I wrote this on my iPhone.
  • Luke Redpath
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Oh and if you're wondering why the shelves are so bare...we still haven't quite completed the accessorising phase. We want to get some new photo frames and more photos, books and ornaments on the shelves. We also want a picture or two for the wall above the sofa and the dining room. I think a black and white photo would look great on the dining room. But we just haven't found anything we like yet and there's no rush.
  • PRO
    GuigsART
    8 years ago

Hi.

Have you ever considered a real interesting eye catching piece of art work to really brighten up an area, I think a select piece of art would really make the space stand out, add interest, colour, texture and add a great talking point to the room....

Please check out my website if like the idea and please get in contact, commission work is also welcomed so if you like a particular style I can do in a select colour palette and size but with this it can only be done as a original piece and not a print.....but all prints i can do to the same size or smaller than my original paintings, so lots of options.

www.GuigsART.co.uk

• charlie_bill
    8 years ago

Great job Luke. Funnily enough we are off to sofa.com on Sunday. I will be definitely checking out the Earthborn paints.

• PRO
    Earthborn
    8 years ago

Hi Luke, we have just seen these finished pics from your renovations (we weren't on Houzz when you initially posted last March) and just wanted to say both rooms look fantastic. We hope you are pleased with the result!

The colours choices are perfect; Feather Pillow being light yet warm for the living room and Damson Mousse creating a lovely intimate atmosphere in the dining space, and looks especially good with the oak. Our Claypaint is highly breathable (great for old properties and lime plaster) but you can add a bit more protection with Wall Glaze. And for anyone who is new to Earthborn you can find out more about our eco, breathable paints here.

Great job Luke, love the rest of your furnishings/decor too!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.