emmelinewe

Do you use a tumble dryer?

Emmeline Westin
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
I've never been a tumble dryer fan - that is until I threw in some towels and they came out all fluffy and warm. I was sold. But I don't throw just anything in the tumble dryer, as my grandma always would say that my clothes would get too worn if I did.

Are you keen on tumble drying? What do you tumble dry?

Traditional Utility Room · More Info

Comments (65)

• Cherry Harris
    9 years ago
    I have a tiny tumble dryer but find it essential for fluffing up towels and drying my feather pillows. I also find that tumble drying some clothes and sheets for a couple of minutes before hanging means virtually no ironing for me! Oh yes and it's essential for the last minute 'forgot to wash my uniform' days.
  • Bella Tanner
    9 years ago
    Tumble things all the time-sheets towels and underwear! If I could safely tumble work clothes I would as I hate using the spare room to hang clothes up in!
  • Related Discussions

Tumbled travertine in the kitchen - will the holes collect food?

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Lee, we always seal any stone to prevent staining and normally recommend waxing (either matt or satin depending on the look you want) a tumbled travertine floor once it has been sealed which can make general maintenance easier. However any floor with a pitted surface will naturally gather dirt more than one with a smooth surface so this comes down to personal preference. Here's a link to our blog post on cleaning all types of natural stone which you may find helpful. http://info.amarestone.com/blog/bid/303481/natural-stone-cleaning-and-maintenance-made-simple
    ...See More

Tell us: Do you have any home renovation regrets?

Q

Comments (32)
    Whilst I recognise there's a few tradespeople on here bemoaning fussy clients I have to say my biggest regrets when renovating my house was not being specific enough with trades! We had an electrician put in an extra light switch in the hall to control both the downstairs and upstairs lighting. He put it in a good 10-15cm lower than the other switch further along the same wall which looked completely ridiculous. Made him move it in line with the other one much to his annoyance. Another similar incident was with a vertical column rad for the kitchen - whilst I was specific enough this time to ask it be centered to the wall it was on, he installed it much higher than needed with about 30cm of pipe sticking out the bottom! It would have looked much better in line with the doorframe adjacent. Had to learn to live with that one. We had engineered wood floors put in upstairs - the fitter used the shortest wall in the smallest room to take a plumbline from. When it came into the hall it was obviously on a complete wonk. By this point I'd gotten a bit better at speaking up and ensuring we actually got what was needed (and paid for!). He had to take it up and re-lay using the hall as the plumbline. Looked so much better but he was extremely annoyed! After all this I learned to use masking tape to direct exactly where pipes/light switches/trim should be fitted so there was no room for 'interpretation'. I also forced myself to speak up more and advocate for what I really wanted. That said I'm a designer by trade so I generally know what I want and how to make it look good but was definitely a bit too shy to contradict trades in the beginning!
    ...See More

Tumble dryer in Bathroom

Q

Comments (1)
    A short explanation what building regs allow you to do placing electrical appliances and/or power outlets in bathrooms can be found here: http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/53/section-701/index.cfm if in doubt ... ask a certified electrician.
    ...See More

Washing machine with tumble dryers - any good?

Q

Comments (9)
    We have a washer/drier and it's perfectly fine. In the past we'd had one which wasn't too good on drying so we went to 2 separate machines. Anyway, before this house we were in rented for a while with a good washer/drier so decided to get one for this house. There's just the two of us so we don't have huge wash loads but it does a good job on the bedding which is a full load. But don't go for the cheapest. False economy. Ours is a Siemens iSensoric. Worth the outlay for us.
    ...See More
  • Amanda Good
    9 years ago
    We bought one 7 years ago when our daughter was born, it was winter and I envisaged washing everywhere! In the next month we are re-modelling our downstairs and have decided on a Neff combi washer/dryer as the dryer is only used in winter or when raining. I've never shrunk anything, but have melted a mattress protector!
  • gold895
    9 years ago
    I only use the tumble dryer for towels. I never put clothes in. I have a spare room so the clothes either hang in there or in the garden.
  • slimberley
    9 years ago
    Love my tumble dryer. Definitely a must for when you have children.... and a husband who plays Sunday league football and brings the kit home every now and again.
    We have lots of guests to stay and it just make washing and drying all the bed linen so much easier, although I too have melted mattress and pillow protectors.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    Life's too short - I tumble everything except cashmere !
  • Val Fearon
    9 years ago
    Agree - life is too short when working full time. Tumble dry every time. Have never had a drier disaster - but would steer away from tinkling blacks. It fades the colour somehow. And I do read labels and don't put anything in that the label says not to
  • Dawn
    9 years ago
    I have a combination washer dryer. I hate it. It takes FOREVER! I want a tumble dryer that is efficient. I so miss America!
  • Byron Cann
    9 years ago
    Moving from the US to the UK required more than a few compromises. Having first dealt with combo's (which are useless) we ended up with a condenser as we couldn't get approval for a gas vented one (which would have been much better). However, the condenser does work infinitely better than the combo.
  • gayleben
    9 years ago
    I tumble absolutely everything. It has to be tropical weather for me to hang washing on the line, which isn't often!
  • bombel1972
    9 years ago
    i got my first dryer at 40. i still hang clothes outside in warmer months. i occasionally use a clothes horse, but not allowed (by husband who fits boilers) haha to put clothes on radiators, as it just blocks the heat. i mean, maybe to quickly finish off a damp piece. we have a condenser, as we kept it for nearly 2 yrs in the garage. i don't use fabric softener for towels, so the dryer works wonders for them. i don't put delicates or certain materials in the dryer either. HOWEVER, i also know, not to cram or put it at high/fast temp, as either it will still be damp, shrink, and/or wrinkly!!!!! just use our best judgement. but i think it could be hard for large families to not have a dryer :)
  • Joanne Langridge
    9 years ago
    I rarely hang my clothes out to dry in the garden as it is North facing & needs to be really warm & windy to dry there. I couldn't live without my tumble dryer!
  • soozmacrae
    9 years ago
    Never had one, I do a wash every day, sometimes more. I dry outside or inside on an air dryer. Im lucky enough not to have to go to work so I can keep an eye on the weather. Family of five in all. There has been times when a dryer would have been very handy. Overall, dryers age clothes so fast (so ive been told by friends).
  • Vicki Brown
    9 years ago
    I have a lovely extremely malting springer spaniel. I have to tumble everything as it's the only way to eliminate every single dog hair from clothing.
  • Sarah Alcroft
    9 years ago
    We have a tumble dryer simply for that last tiny bit of dampness that can linger after a day on a UK washing line!
  • Dawn
    9 years ago
    My daughter lives in the US and has these giant washing and drying machines. What takes all day here to do I can get done over there in 40 minutes - 20 in the wash - 20 in the dryer. Large loads, unwrinkled, fresh and fully dry! Also, her clothes don't seem to get worn as quickly as mine do. Now, I don't have room for that kind of machine but if the technology exists, why don't we have access to slightly smaller versions over here? It seems energy efficient to me to have less time running a machine. Hours to wash seems like it must take more energy. I'm happy to hang clothes when its sunny, even cloudy and windy but on still, cloudy, rain-threatened days I'm tied to the laundry all day and in to the next and this is just for two people! I hate hanging it all over the house but sometimes that's what I'm forced to do.
  • richardedd
    9 years ago
    Can anyone recommend a tumble dryer to buy for about £500?
  • Sam Hill
    9 years ago
    In winter
  • Maddy
    9 years ago
    We use the table dryer all day long. Don't really care about the electricity bill as we gladly pay not to look like a Chinese laundry. Not to mention the damp air etc...very unhealthy especially if people are living in small London flats. (Mildew, mould, unpleasant breathing environment, aesthetically challenged rooms...would cause me no end of stress...all just to save a few pounds...hardly worth it)
  • Maddy
    9 years ago
    Forgot to mention that there are so many good combo dryers these days that I have one that dries my pure silk tops etc which feel beautiful after they come out of the dryer!
  • purplelore15
    9 years ago
    Currently we have a washer/dryer and I only use it for towels, PJS, underwear and leggings. Everything else is hung up to dry naturally. I agree that tumbled towels are much nicer than line- dried or radiator-dried. No fabric softener makes them even fluffier!!

The combo machine is not the best dryer. It creases clothes badly. It takes ages to dry things even if it is a small load.

My mother in law has separates and her dryer is amazing. It dries quickly and no creasing. When we move, I'm definitely getting separates, especially as we hope to have a baby once we are settled in and I just want to be able to throw baby clothes etc in and know they will come out and go straight in drawers.
  • 163 hrd
    9 years ago
    richardedd
    It is certainly not necessary to spend £500. I have always had 7 years or more out of John Lewis tumble dryers @ approx £300.. The simpler push button controls are best, and look for one with large drum capacity.
  • 163 hrd
    9 years ago
    The towels kept in my mom's bathroom vanity units in the US always smell sour to me. I think the UK airing cupboard is a marvellous invention, and am hanging on to mine even after updating the heating system.
  • Tony DeWynter - Senior Designer at Grid Thirteen Ltd
    8 years ago
    I do have a tumble dryer that's used for towels and such, but I have recently built a small drying room in the cellar. Flick on a decent dehumidifier and hey presto! It's amazing how much water these things collect.
    Never dry clothes around the house as its bad for your health, not too mention all the condensation that occurs as a result.
  • maggieandrichard
    8 years ago
    I have used a dryer for years, then started an economy drive. During the warmer months I now only use it to dry towels but, unfortunately, I still have to use it in the Winter and begrudge every penny it costs.
  • milfordmaid
    8 years ago
    Never hang outside after clocks go back in Oct until they go forward in March. And then only if weather is good.
    Tumble all smalls - always, too much effort to peg up.
    Cardboard dried items- tumble for 5-10 mins to loosen up.
    Hang out,up properly when drying reduces amt of items to be ironed, and less effort for items that need ironing.
    One big mistake is to mix colours in tumble.
    Whites should be tumbled together. Never mix with colours as the whites will go grey. Very quickly.
  • LTS
    8 years ago
    We use the tumble dryer daily, except for items that can't be tumble dried, those we hang over a clothes horse. We don't have a washing line! Couldn't be without our tumble dryer :)
  • Mags Macleod
    8 years ago
    Wouldn't be without my tumble drier. I run a small B&B and holiday cottage So LOTS of bedding and towels. Couldn't manage without my trusty drier. Never hang expensive pure white Egyptian cotton bed linen on the line as insects are attracted to them! So whatever the weather or time of year they go in the drier. Have a brilliant Beko drier which gives great results. Always pop towels in for 10 minutes if hung on the line to spare up. However love line drying too. Nothing beats that fresh air smell. Mags
  • crowningfashion
    8 years ago

I always use my drier and couldn't manage without it. However in light of the most astronomical electricity bills I am now only trying to use it for neccessities... it's a hard habit to break as they really do make life so easy and getting on with the laundry is done in half the time (I currently have a laundry day where everything is washed, dried & ironed, and if it isn't done on that day it waits until the following week.)

• User
    8 years ago

I have a washer dryer which is ideal as I rarely use the dryer. Washing dried on the line in our garden smells amazing, so fresh. If there is a breeze washing does not go stiff. We have an open plan living room with a walkway above - washing dries well overnight there in bad weather when we have our log fire going. I also like to be eco friendly and reduce my energy consumption so try to avoid unecessary use of high rated electricity appliances.

• sarahalgar
    8 years ago

Hardly use my dryer. Partially dry towels outside, then 10 mins in dryer to make them soft and absorbent. A dryer is there to help during a wet week!!

• PRO
    Sussex Kitchen and Bedrooms
    8 years ago

Ruined a few jumpers

• veryvert
    8 years ago

Just use mine in rainy weather. Beware cotton sheets take less time to dry than towels or jeans. I've been mad with myself for leaving sheets in too long until they became scorched. The sheets were a costly high thread count too and much more important than the towels!

• PRO
    Akiva Projects Ltd
    8 years ago

Dryers may make life easy but they also destroy fabric, so no dryer.

• Catherine Hounslow
    8 years ago

Yes , but only if not suitable for drying outside - rain . I'm afraid some washing goes on the radiators too.

• vanessamr
    8 years ago

I was advised to buy a condensing tumble dryer to avoid potential problems eith condensation and damp. I had no way of venting one. It cost me a fortune and I've hardly had the chance to use it yet, due to work in the kitchen. I had one nearly 40 years ago, when my son was a baby and wouldn't have been without it. This one gives me the impression that the drying times are longer than they used to be!

• niamhwalsh
    8 years ago

We have a high spin washer, so the clothes are quite dry going in and they need minimal drying time. I have lightweight towels and generally wash similar weight clothes togeather so the dry more efficiently. We had damp issues when we dried clothes indoors so it's well worth a small amount of electricity. Clothes are holding up well to the dryer, things rarely wear out, my sheets are about 15 years old.

• Rob
    8 years ago

Line dry by preference but lets face it, half the year that isn't practical! You should always finish towels off in the dryer anyway or they are like sandpaper!

We also have an old 1960s tumble dryer I inherited from my grandmother, its got a metal fold down door which has the lint filter in it - its the quickest, hottest dryer I have ever used - they don't make them like that anymore!

• hazellogan
    8 years ago

One very naughty and deliberate mistake with the dryer.

My husband had a very old and I must say horrible cashmere jumper that would not wear out on it's own.

So action was needed.

After it's spell in both machines it fitted my son, then aged 4, now 43, beautifully, and of course looked wonderful on HIM.

• 163 hrd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Excellent story hazellogan! I am sure every woman has been tempted to do that. At least you recycled the jumper!

• milfordmaid
    8 years ago
    Oh brilliant hazelligan-just brilliant!!
    My trick is when they insist on wearing the same dreadful, manky, faded, stained, damaged T-shirt/ top/ jumper/cardigan is for it to disappear into laundry purgatory. Procedure as follows ;

Stage 1
    Item arrives for laundering.
    Laundry Maid /Fairy aka ME leaves the offending article into the pending tray aka the floor.
    Pending tray is emptied with contents being place into suitable container aka black plastic bag.
    The item is then posted to America aka place black bag in the rubbish bin.

Stage 2
    If the item is ever missed, it'll be at least 3 wks before Laundry Maid is contacted re same - usually when she is off-duty + doing nothing aka relaxing.
    Laundry Maid will inform owner that she has no idea which item is under discussion + remainder of 10 min conversation will establish description of article - Are you sure it's black + not navy. It's got an airplane printed on it? Really? Finishing up with a promise to look for same in a timely fashion.
    3 weeks later, the first conversation takes place all over again. This time the Laundry Maid instructs owner to search his own room thoroughly + whilst he's at that he can clean room, throw out rubbish, return crockery + cutlery to the kitchen area where the Kitchen Maid is on duty + change bed linen. This tactic is double-edged as although you get 1 clean room, a vast amount of washing-up + laundry is generated. However, owner has now forgotten about missing article.
    3 weeks later, discussion is resumed but Laundry Maid now instructs owner to look for missing item in siblings' rooms, pets sleeping quarters, existing dirty laundry basket, ironing basket, all kit-bags + holdalls and back + boot of car. This often generates more crockery, more soiled laundry, stinking sports kit but at least the original offending article will not turn up.
    In the very unlikely event that the issue is ever raised again - repeat stage 2 all over again.
    But time consuming- but works a treat!!
  • PRO
    Fay Markopoulou Interiors
    8 years ago

I love tumble dryers, they make my life so much easier! Agree with you Emmeline, I also don't tumble dry everything for the exact same reason. No jeans, no shirts, no underwear or sensitive fabrics. Perfect for towels, bed linen, socks, cotton t-shirts! :-)

• niclips
    8 years ago

Absolutely everything that can be tumble dried. I can't stand clothes hanging around the house and I can't be bothered hanging them out and don't like a line strung across my garden - and it always rains anyway. I used to hang things out etc until I lived in the USA for 3 years and my laundry room was on the 1st floor, and NO-ONE hangs washing outside in Washington DC. Anyway, during our 3 years there I realised how functional and time/energy saving it is having laundry room on bedroom floor - brilliant. So got used to tumble drying everything and it all gets out away immediately. So came home and if I had the space to create a laundry room in my house in 1st floor I would do it. I have even considered losing the ensuite to do this but with all boys and men in my family I need my own bathroom!!! So instead have my utility room and tumble dry everything - anything to make the load of all the housework reduce is a winner for me.

• Lynda Fleming
    8 years ago

ive had a tumble dryer most of my married life 40+ years the maximum time i put on the dryer is 40 mins i dont iron anything out of dryer on to hanger job done and my electric bill is very low ive got a condenser dryer my clothes dont loose colour or get worn ive got bedding that is at least 15 years old if not more with pretty roses etc still full colour and lovely and soft my sister had a washer dryer and said the dryer was useless i would recommend separate dryer you can always stack if you dont have the floor space

• User
    8 years ago
    I've hate doing the laundry so my tumble dryer gets a lot of use. Everything is softer and if you catch it at the end of the cycle it pretty much dispenses with the need to iron too! Genius.
  • maggieandrichard
    8 years ago
    Drying clothes in a tumble dryer is expensive but surely less expensive that the serious health problems caused by the mould created when clothes are dried indoors. People seem to think that the "wet" simply disappears because they have the heating on but it doesn't, all that water has to go somewhere and apart from the mould it causes, it goes into furnishings, bedding etc.
  • Tess Wijy
    8 years ago
    I use a dryer in the rainy season and that could be always, I never dry clothes inside as I find condensation, towels always in dryer, but on lovely days I have the garden.
  • hazellogan
    8 years ago

Tumble Dryers are wonderful if you want to shrink something you dislike, but can't bare to throw away........now you have to.

• Pat Auld
    8 years ago
    Have had a tumble dryer for many years and used to use it more when children were at home. Now only really use it for towels and anything needed in a hurry. Also give dogs beds about 20 mins to remove all hair and then finish them either outside or on radiators.
    They do increase the electricity bill quite substantially.
    However, I would not want to be without one
  • Ivlia Blackburn
    8 years ago

Great for when my son-in-law comes home from work soaked from the rain and the clothes have to be dry for the morning or when it's raining solid for the second week running but otherwise you can't beat the smell of freshly outdoor dried washing. Better on the electric bills as well.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.