swisshaus

Back again...that darn pine ceiling - paint or plaster?

swissdixie
9 years ago
So the old pine ceiling is back (ok it never left and we missed the entire 'paint before moving in' deadline).

Question: Our new builder/DIY person recommended that we could put up smooth plasterboard between the joints in the pine ceiling and then leave the beams or paint/stain them another color to keep the exposed beam feel but not make rooms feel smaller or distract the eye. Plus it's apparently faster to slap up some plasterboard and seam rather than sand, seal, sand, paint, sand, paint etc.

But I am on the fence still having grown up FIRMLY entrenched in white painted wood. What do y'all think? Can you achieve a good effect? Any examples of where this has worked? You can tell from the picture that it is a STEEP angle so trying to make spaces seem larger and a bit more modern...but not too modern given that we live in a Swiss country-style landhaus!

If we went the plastering route then I was thinking to paint the beams a light or French grey (or just leave them until inspiration strikes). Help much appreciated!!!

Comments (14)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.