mishmashe

Decorator refused to wallpaper our room - please help

mishmashe
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
We're nearly finished with our bedroom - just need some fitted wardrobes installing which is booked in for June. Currently we have Laura Ashley wallpaper behind our bed which I love. The other walls are cream, but it just doesn't look right or finished and I'm definitely not going to leave them as they are.

I had a decorator round today to quote on papering the other walls in the same wallpaper. I know more than 1 wall being papered can be quite overwhelming and not to everyone's taste, but 1) it's quite a pale paper and 2) it's a large room, so I thought it would look okay. it would be on 3 walls as the 4th will be filled up with the fitted wardrobe. Anyway the decorator said it would look terrible and flat out refused to do it! He said it would be far too busy with everything else going on and that we should paint the other walls grey instead, but I'm afraid that would be a bit boring.

What do you guys think - would the same wallpaper on all the walls look awful? I've seen pictures of other rooms with this same wallpaper on more than 1 wall and I thought it looked beautiful (I'll attach pictures of this in the next post). If you'd prefer paint, what colour? Everything else is staying as it is all new.

Thanks

Comments (92)

• ali270
    9 years ago
    I went on eBay and typed in " glass drawer knobs " . A whole selection of shapes and sizes come up , suppliers are not shown until you click on your choice . I have used different suppliers with no problems . You will notice the price is low from those that are supplied from China.....for obvious reasons . However they arrive well packed and good quality . Good luck .
    mishmashe thanked ali270
  • PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    9 years ago
    The decorator is a tradesman, not a designer. If you think the paper would look good on all walls, which, as a designer, I agree, then find a decorator who will do as you wish.
  • Related Discussions

Please I need your help! My front room looks dull, and the wall paper

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi. The room appears quite dark atm so I'd go for a warm neutral on the walls, perhaps try farrow and ball or little Greene. For the wallpaper Maybe a subtle pattern in a metallic to bounce some light or a grasscloth effect paper to add texture. I'd lighten the sofas up with throws and cushions in different textures and patterns. Do you prefer a neutral scheme or colour? Have you considered recovering your seat pads on the chairs to lighten them up and maybe add pattern? It's easy with a staple gun! A vase of faux flowers on the table would look great (I love the hydrangea from Oka!) unless of course you can afford real each week and a plant elsewhere. Agree re pendant light over dining table and lamps to cosy the space. Perhaps a bigger rug for the living area to zone the seating space and one for the reading area. Is it also possible to shorten the curtain pole on the main window? For accessories do look at chrome, glass etc as they will bounce light
    ...See More

Please Help Identify This Wallpaper

Q

Comments (1)
    Sure dear wprince1980 can I have a look at your room and give you a great advice.
    ...See More

New wallpaper ideas please help!!!

Q

Comments (11)
    I think the mantelpiece would look good painted white, although if you want contrast you could consider matching other wood types you have in the room, e.g. furniture, doors etc. A word of warning about painting the bricks, they are heavily textured so won't be easy to paint. You will need to thin the paint and do at least three coats using a brush. There are probably some guides on doing this on the internet. A masonry paint is best. Not sure if the fire itself is used and is being kept, but it looks rather dated and could be worth replacing at a later date, or if not used, getting removed by a plumber, and being replaced by decorative pillar candles or logs...just a thought. Good luck with the decorating and Happy New Year!
    ...See More

Living room wallpaper / toybox / decoration ideas??

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi there! I offer an affordable E-Design service that could help you create a space you love, I have lots of wallpaper suppliers that I'm sure we can use to find the ideal look for you. I'm also very experienced in incorporating toy storage into living spaces (as a mum of a toddler!), send me a message if you'd like some further information on how the service works and pricing :) Take Care Natalie
    ...See More
  • moorlikeit
    9 years ago
    The decorators I have encountered over many years were not people from whom I would take design advice! They tend to be very conservative in their judgements. Do not take any notice! Most importantly it's your room and your design. On a personal note I used an all-over abstracted floral pattern in warm neutral tones on 4 walls in my north-facing dining room and it did wonders for what had always been a cold rather dead space. We did have a large bay window, 2 doors, a fireplace, and picture rail to break it up but I think it would have worked anyway. I think the muted tones in your chosen design will ensure that it is not overwhelming, just luxurious. Have the courage of your convictions!
  • PRO
    Female Decorator Warrington
    9 years ago
    The decorator may have refused due to it being Laura Ashley wallpaper. I know quite a few decorators who won't hang it because of it's apparent poor quality (not me!). I Would definitely suggest a new decorator - as regardless of their taste or opinion, they can't dictate to you what you do in your own home. Personally, I would have the paper on the wall opposite your bed as well as behind it - and paint the others. But if you want it all the way round, you have it all the way round. You shouldn't struggle to find somebody to do it. The pictures show it does look good, so go for it!
  • mrsmcee74
    9 years ago
    Yes Female Decorator my decorator complained slightly about the quality of Laura Ashley he said it's comparable with Arthouse wallpapers. He reckoned the "Italian stuff" is the thing to use which no doubt costs an arm and a leg.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I don't go a bundle on labels, most of the time that's what you are paying for. Decorators will want to use wallpaper that cause them the least problem because if the paper isn't good and there is difficulty hanging it, it will still be up to them to make it work. It will cost them time and money if they can't get it right. I must admit when it comes to decorating, I prefer to do the work myself, I see too many mistakes and short cuts by tradesmen.
  • Sally Maguire-Symonds
    8 years ago
    I would definitely paper it all as the wallpaper is quite pale and you have no other pattern in the room. As for the handles the crystal handles will match with your bed knobs and add some zing to the design. Just to lift the grey and provide some contrast I would go for a plain plum coloured throw on the bed which will also tie in with the colour of the flowers on your dressing table. Behind your bed I would put a large silver framed bevel edged mirror which will tie in with the handles and again add a touch of sparkly zing. Good luck with it, your choice of wallpapers is fab in my opinion.
  • Tim Price
    8 years ago
    Well, I guess your decorator is very ethical in refusing a job he could charge for!
    Remember your paper is from a batch that may well be finished. Even if the same pattern is still in print it is unlikely to be a perfect colour match.
    Next, I do notice that the examples of rooms you have photos of with more than one wall papered are either bigger or the paper doesn't reach the ceiling or there are other features so the paper is not all there is. Your room looks very good as it is. The forth wall (built-ins) doesn't count as a wall, especially if the doors are mirrored. As it is the wall with the large mirror already reflects the wallpaper from the wall opposite. Having paper on that wall too might not work as the reflection in the mirror would make it look like the paper pattern is wrong.
  • gilliifer
    8 years ago
    he who pays the piper calls the tune
  • Sinead Hutchinson
    8 years ago
    My bedroom is wallpapered on all walls in this and it looks fabulous ( even though I say so myself) I was worried about it being overpowering and the decorator gave me an odd look when I told him what I wanted but even he agreed that the result was fabulous. Have courage and go for it!!! What's the worst that can happen???
  • shelleyuk
    8 years ago
    Your decorator is behind the times. Papering just one wall is a bit of a dated look. I suspect his concern was more about batch numbers and fading on your existing paper.
  • tansycat
    8 years ago
    Thank you, shelleyuk! After getting my comments shot down in flames I'm glad to see someone who agrees with me about batch numbers! Also, I've papered many times and I know that when you come to a corner you always, always have to turn the corner slightly with the paper and then overlap the next drop. Mishmasse's decorator would not have been able to do that.
  • Tim Price
    8 years ago
    @ Tansycat - I also commented on the difficulty of getting the colours to match. It isn't only the batch either. That paper has been up a while, so may have faded too.
  • Natalie Patton
    8 years ago
    I think your room is lovely, but if you think it's a bit flat why not accessorise to lift it, maybe change the picture frames or add candles or different fabric to the bed or a chair with cushions and a throw. It's a personal opinion but I'm not really into adding bright colours to accent, but I love texture so if I were you that's what I would do.
    And on your decorator I'd find another it is his job to decorate. It's ur job to design.
  • User
    8 years ago
    There also another thought, tradesmen have been know to make excuses because they didn't want the job (for various reasons) instead of being honest and saying they don't want the job,
  • PRO
    Brush Finish
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago
    I agree about the issues mentioned regarding batch numbers, overlapping corners, and aging effects of existing paper, but why not just strip the exisiting 1 wall of paper, and then paper all 4 walls with new paper........by a decorator who can hang Laura Ashley?
  • mishmashe
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks all for your feedback. Just to answer all the questions of why the decorator might have refused to do the job - he made it very clear to me that he thought it would look bad, and that was the only reason. He wasn't worried about batch numbers/colours/papering around corners, we discussed all of that and he is a competent decorator who is used to hanging Laura Ashley wallpaper. But he said that he has never seen all 4 walls papered before and that it would be too busy. When I said that I thought "feature walls" were becoming outdated, he disagreed and said pretty much everybody is still asking for them. Which is fair enough, that's his opinion and I wasn't offended. He didn't want to do a job that would look terrible in his opinion. He offered to paint the walls instead (which we have now decided to do, but we will do that ourselves instead of hiring a decorator!). I am happy with this final decision (even though I still think wallpaper would look lovely, paint is a lot easier, cheaper, and easier to change - and I think would look almost as good anyway) and I'll be sure to update with photos when the room is finished. Thanks everyone :-)

• house mad
    8 years ago
    Mine to. Hate Laura Ashley paper and paint !!!!
  • mishmashe
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Just bought a throw for the bed - is the colour okay??? Also the cushions - those are just there to show you the colour, thoughts please? I'd get 3 large square ones (larger than these obviously) to go behind the white pillows. They're not an exact match to the throw unfortunately, the throw does not come with matching cushions. Throw is satin (slightly browny-grey colour) and cushions are grey velour. Not sure if it all clashes. 2nd pic shows colours more clearly.
  • mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Yes looks good. You can mix different shades, you don't want it too matching.
  • ameena137
    8 years ago
    I have the exact same wallpaper in my bedroom and it is on all 4 walls and looks gorgeous and calm . Not sure which tone urs is mine is josette coral . I had the exact same problem you're having most people told me to put it on one wall or have a dado rail and so on half either above or below rail but I went with my Instinct and did all walls and honestly it's beautiful !
  • marbella2000
    8 years ago
    Hi I have this wallpaper in my bedroom and i have it all over I think its beautiful I keep all my bed linen white Hope this is of some help to you
  • PRO
    bhreagh_debison
    8 years ago
    if you would really like to put wall paper on 3 walls as the fourth wall will be covered with a wardrobe, this look can be pulled off if you use a sheer or a lace as a window treatment. this will give you light into the space (that is what makes the pictures others are attaching look so good-they are bigger spaces where yours is smaller so using light will give that open feel).
  • Catherine Hounslow
    8 years ago

It looks fabulous as it is-but it wouldn't look overpowering over the other walls as its subtle. You can always readjust the furnishings if you think it is too busy when its wallpapered !

• PRO
    Akiva Projects Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello,

I love your Bedroom, it's nicely decorated, lovely furniture, the wallpaper looks elegant and sophisticated. I personally think, covering all the walls (except where wardrobes will be fitted) would look a bit busy.

You have a large mirror on the wall already and some framed photos and chandelier. Don't make it look too overwhelming as you may not like it after and remember that you can cover the last wall later if you like.

Good luck with your Project!

• Matthew Decorator
    8 years ago
    From a professionals point of view, I would probably say he's not a professional decorator and is worried that if he does paper the whole room it will be more taxing of his skills to do and if he makes any mistakes, it can cost.

I am honest with my clients and give my opinion but I wouldn't turn work down just because i didn't agree with them.

I would be very wary of him.
  • PRO
    JMC Decorators
    8 years ago

If any decorator refuses to do exactly what you want even if he thinks it would look nuts show them the door. Chances are they could not hang wallpaper in which case show them the door anyway

• niclips
    8 years ago

Hi there, I have no doubt you have sorted this all out now but wanted to share my thoughts anyway. I absolutely love your bedroom and that wallpaper is utterly fantastic. There is no way it would overpower the room being on all walls and I would definitely go for it. All the rooms in my house have similar styles as I just love Laura Ashley wallpaper. I hope you told your decorator where to go - the cheek! The only advice you need and want from a decorator us can they do & how much will it cost. The rest is up to you and as you seem to have beautiful taste I would go ahead with what you want. So finally I should ask - what did you go for in the end?

• louisep2012
    8 years ago
    Do you mind me asking how much it cost for you to have the wardrobes built? Cheeky I know but we've been weighing up building them ourselves in our bedrooms but if it's not astronomical I think getting a professional in would be worthwhile. Did you design the interior yourselves or did the joiner do this? They look lovely.
  • Vanadis Ward
    8 years ago

What a rude (and shortsighted) decorator! I hoped you've dumped him in favour of someone who will paper your walls with banana skins if thst is what YOU want. Put a few samples up, live with them for a while and then YOU make a decision.

• archilou
    8 years ago

Hi, I just want to say how much I like your room. I only started reading through this today (October), but when I looked at the initial pictures, what struck me was the lack of definition between the walls and ceiling (because the colour was the same). I think your solution to paint the walls looks fantastic and elegant. Personally I think this solution is better than wallpaper would have been (too busy). May I ask where your bed is from? It is lovely.

• walksy
    8 years ago
    I'm here to add another comment to my previous one, back when you first asked for help. I've only just seen the photographs of your finished room and just had to tell you how lovely your bedroom is. I hope you're happy with it because it really does look gorgeous.
  • Vanadis Ward
    8 years ago

Yup, Walksy has said it all. Your bedroom is beautiful and what's more, has captured that elusive element, character.

• Suzanne C
    8 years ago
    I think it's just perfect as it is, you have done a fantastic job!
  • PRO
    Kitchen Edit
    8 years ago

Reading between the lines I would say your decorator doesn't want to paper around the windows / radiators / doors etc. It probably has nothing to do with the overall design. Hire someone who is confident beyond feature walls. You would be surprised how many decorators don't hang paper...they should call themselves painters instead!

• VJ Von Art
    8 years ago

You have a lovely room and it is heavily accessorised with a luxury feel and there for wallpapering the whole room with the same feel wall paper would drown all the small details and accessories. It would be very busy on the eye and might make you feel tired if you spend a lot of time in this space. The wallpaper and gold accessories are very warm and create a lot of light but unless you introduce colder tones they will not be accentuated.

Here are some inspirations

• PRO
    Art Decor Designs
    8 years ago

I agree with Vanadis ward, you are paying for the job so have it decorated the way YOU want it. Incidentally there does seem to be a trend now of papering all of the walls and even the ceiling in some cases, rather than one accent wall.

• PRO
    Urban Space Projects
    8 years ago

i think that decorating is a very personal thing and everyone has different tastes, to me it seems perhaps it was more than the decorator was comfortable doing wallpapering if done badly can look terrible and not all decorators can do it. the trend at the moment seems to be moving away from feature walls in paper and more into fabrics, or vinyl paper with your own pictures/paters on them much more personal.

• PRO
    Studio Wallcoverings
    8 years ago
    Hi there

The wallpaper you have up is gorgeous!

I think the room would look lovely with all four walls done.

Our bedroom at home is decorated very similar.

If you would like I can send you a few free samples of some accompanying wallpapers that will go with the current one, which is a go between the paint and the wallpaper.

Just email your address to me on info@studiowallcoverings.com

Rachel
  • strawberry47
    7 years ago
    Find another decorator and wallpaper the room as you would like. It's a beautiful paper, soft and subtle. Good luck.
  • PRO
    ZazuDesigns
    7 years ago

If someone refuses to do something, it is likely they are out of their depth and are attempting to back out gracefully rather than admitting this. Wallpapering well, is tricky and a skill which can be time consuming and costly if they don't have a steady hand. I think the room will look lovely fully wallpapered. Be brave!

• Tim Price
    7 years ago

I note at times some of the people listed as professionals are getting more and more brazen - blatant adverts and even running each other down. This is making Houzz a less attractive place to hang out. Not good.

• alldone62
    7 years ago

Defo don't paper as batch would be different I would paint with greige colour which I have just done my whole house in and it looks fab with everything.

• angelavdavis
    5 years ago

I love Josette wallpaper. I used it on my chimney breast in my old bedroom. Loved it so much, another shade went up under the dado up the stairs and in the hall in my house too. We then moved and we have it now in our new bedroom in yet another shade! I put the paper up in my old bedroom. It’s tricky but not the worst paper I have ever hung.

• Pat Auld
    5 years ago
    This post is 3 years old now!
  • angelavdavis
    5 years ago

@molly20100 I hadn’t spotted that! How strange, it was at the top of the posts on the app!

• Debra Albinson
    5 years ago
    I think it's good of the decorator to be honest and offer their opinion, at least they're not trying to screw money out of you which it seems a lot of trades people will do. I personally like just a feature wall but if you want wallpaper all round then get another decorator if the said one absolutely refuses to do it.
  • lesleyannbell
    3 years ago

I dont think your decorator should be dictating his personal taste to you. The pattern is bold , but the colour seems soft, so it wouldn't be overwhelming.. I would definitely go for additional walls in that paper if that's what you want.

• Alise Zemne
    last month

The result looks ok.

But, since you considered the ease of use, next time I would suggest to use peel-and-stick bedroom wallpapers. They are pretty easy to apply, swap, and remove. +You can create different accent patterns, etc.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.