snake888

Cheap update for bathroom (we are novices)

Matt
9 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi after moving into our new home we are trying to update our bathroom without replacing the whole thing and spending too much money. We are thinking of keeping the bath, putting in a new shower head and shower screen, and trying to replace the toilet and basin without damaging the tiles if that is possible. We would really appreciate any advice on how to make the bathroom more modern and fresh without expensive plumbing, and plastering costs. Many thanks :)

Comments (38)

• PRO
    Sort Our Stuff
    9 years ago
    You're going to have a big expense with the amount of tiling you need to replace. You should definitely try to box in the pipes under the window to make a wall hung wc with push button flush and a false wall to hang a washbasin. I hope that makes sense. This would give it a more contemporary feel and pull everything together rather than the dated feel of separate sanitary equipment that tends to be the norm.
  • Related Discussions

Small bathroom facelift

Q

Comments (36)
    Hi Senspasce and thank you my husband works for a large tile manufacturer and the tiles where purchased on slight seconds and a great tiler who works all over the world did the tiling beautifully. The design was copied from the company brochure so I knew it was foolproof design in its day which was over 20yrs ago so not done so bad really certainly had my moneys worth. The window is very heavily obsurced glass with leaded design so does not need blinds which cannot be fitted as casement to window is not deep enough I have had curtain treatment on expandable rod but like the light and openness. I prefer a bath we use to have shower on bracket with a shower curtain when I had new mixer and taps I did away with them to open the room up and getaway from water mold building up we use bath mat on floor when showering and not a problem with no screen a lot less cleaning too never a problem without them.
    ...See More

Bathroom tiles - full or half height?

Q

Comments (23)
    Thanks so much for all your comments! I knew I wanted a full height feature wall behind the bath but the rest I just couldn't decide. I too like the look of just the shower and bath wall tiled but like @Carolina I really don't like having no tiles round the toilet, and just a couple of tiles behind the sink. So I'm leaning towards having the tiles up to half height around the rest of the bathroom, with full height in the shower and behind the bath. If I'm pleased with the way it turns out I will try to remember to post a pic of the finished room!
    ...See More

final bathroom design - semi industrial?

Q

Comments (78)
    @Jaya Garella I wasn't 100% sure what you meant by 'the bras'? haha. none of the tiles on the mock up pic are anything I have specifically chosen - they are the least offensive on the app I had which is a house mock up program and not specifically for bathrooms. I would need a splashback with a sink unit though as that back sink/wc wall is just a wood frame at the moment so will need plasterboarding. Part of me wants to avoid the grey as although I love a rich grey, the rest of my house is off black by F&B so very dark and moody. In the tiles in a small room it might be a bit drab? I'm also struggling to find patterned tiles that I could put all over the bath wall and bath that wouldn't be too much ie too large a pattern or too small. I would then have to have maybe a wood effect (vinyl or tile) on the floor as I think pattern on the floor and bath panel and large wall might be too much? You don't see the bath wall when you walk in as the door opens to the left and hides it. Trying to find some industrial glam images of alternative options as I'm a bit stuck in a rut with it and my bathroom fitting team is a bit old school so not up on design! haha
    ...See More

tips for a cheap updates

Q

Comments (11)
    One of the first things I did when we started renovating our house (and knew the kitchen would eventually go), was removing the kitchen handles, washing the foil doors thoroughly with St.Marc and simply rolling them over (while in place LOL) with a white alkyd based paint (one coat of the same white primer first, did no sanding whatsoever). Handles back in place. Simple, fresh look on a worn out kitchen (which was a horrible shade of turquoise and beech). Budget didn't allow us to change the kitchen for 3 years, paint held up great.
    ...See More
  • newton81
    9 years ago
    At the very minimum I would update the fixtures e.g. toilet roll holder, mirror etc to something more sleek and change the paint colour too to something neutral.
  • neotoma
    9 years ago
    Before doing anything else, I'd get some white undercoat and paint the walls with it, so you can see what you've got in terms of basics without the pinky colour intruding.
  • Jonathan
    9 years ago
    I would paint the walls- a stronger colour will make this room look more expensive. I would then only add a few touches.
    I would paint the walls a coffee brown, add white wooden slatted blinds and a white bath panel. A new shower screen, ceiling spotlights and perhaps swap the radiator for a ladder towel rail
  • alant1000
    9 years ago
    Paint the walls a light grey will make a big difference.
  • Jonathan
    9 years ago
    A dark grey would also work
  • minnie101
    9 years ago
    I find the tiles date it the most. I would look into tile paint and just paint them white. I wouldn't bother with the expense of updating the loo and sink at this stage if you're also doing the shower and screen or you may as well do a new bathroom fit. Agree with some of the other comments about wooden blinds, fittings and wall paint.
  • mrsmcee74
    9 years ago
    What colour are the tiles? It's hard to tell.
  • bookworm987
    9 years ago
    Source a local carpenter to build a simple cabinet around the existing sink. it can be done in such a way that the sink will look like a modern bowl-type sink sitting on top of the cabinet. This can be done quite cheaply and the wood can be stained or painted to look more impressive. Plus, you gain storage space for cleaning products, so the room is less cluttered.
  • Matt
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi everyone thanks for all the advice it's much appreciated. Would anyone advise having a large mirror which covers most of the wall opposite the bath or a smaller mirror with a shelf?

With the last comment about the boxing under the sink do you have any examples of what that looks like?
  • Matt
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Mrsmcee74 the tiles are a white-stoney/ marble effect
  • parislego
    8 years ago
    Very big stick on Mirrors and over scaled accessories storage with a posh chrome towel wall rack will cost about £200 and look great and wait til you can afford a full redesign!
  • graciealice2012
    8 years ago
    Hi I recently updated my bathroom all I did was paint the walls mocha change all the fixtures towel rail toilet roll holder etc to chrome and then put in a silver antique style mirror all come to around £80 it's amazing what changing little things can do to a room
  • sm09boo
    8 years ago
    I would definitely get rid of the pink paint. It's quite small bathroom so try to give it a clean look. You don't have to paint it brilliant white, there are other shades of off whites that you could use like a cotton white. I would replace the suit as it is looking a little tired. Make use of the internet and auction sites to get great deals on a suite and unusual shaped sinks, taps etc. With investing in some time researching items you will surprise yourself with what you can get and the results.
  • Andrew Millar
    8 years ago
    defo a large mirror or a pack of the stick on ones from IKEA.amazing how more light bouncing around can change your impression of a room.
  • PRO
    Neil Perry Photography
    8 years ago
    I agree with the paint idea - just a new colour will make it feel a whole lot different. The only issue with that is you say 'without damaging the tiles' which implies you're aiming to retain them. The choice of colour for any new paint will need to match those - which restricts you a little bit. Why not consider losing the tiles? If you did it carefully (or got a pro in), the pre-pain prep work for the wall underneath shouldn't require too much effort. I've just had my bathroom done and had all the old tiles removed by a pro. The wall just needed bonding and skimming and was ready to paint and tile within two days - see the photos.
  • PRO
    Laroya & Co.
    8 years ago
    Hi I would :
    1. Box the pipes and put a wall hung basin (with storage to put away all your stuff lying on the window sill) and pot to it (all fairly inexpensive these days but check out Better Bathrooms, Victoria Plumbing or Bath store).
    2. As a splashback behind the basin, you can buy a coloured perspex sheet or if budget allows, a glass one. Topps tiles also do glass tiles( you wont need too many).
    3. New modern taps and accessories will help immensely.
    4. In the bath area I would remove all the tiles and re tile using simple metro tiles till where the patterned tiles are and paint the wall above.
    5. If you don't want to re tile then remove all the tiles above the patterned ones (including the patterned ones as they make the space look dated). You could buy tile stickers and add a bit of interest or paint them and use a grout pen to highlight the tiles.
    6. Do check out the coloured perspex sheets option too instead of tiles in the bath area - advantage is that you could install that yourself rather than pay for a tiler.
    7. Put down a funky lino on yr floor tiles - polka dots, coloured - it will make a huge difference. Or else a plush bath mat.
    8. If budget permits then a towel rail to replace the radiator and IKEA mirrors on the wall would be fab!
    9. You don't have to spend on a shower screen instead a vibrant patterned shower curtain would add some interest too.
    Have fun and all the best! And don't forget to post some 'after' pictures too.
  • teenytinyhouse
    8 years ago
    Paint and regrout the whole room. It's a small room, you may get enough paint on Freecycle if you ask nicely? Or try http://www.communityrepaint.org.uk/

Replace the shelf, loo roll holder and mirror with something a bit more modern. Ebay has some lovely options, but it is worth checking out charity shops, at least for the mirror - think upcycling! I'd also recommend a shaving mirror for the windowsill, but that's more of a practicality thing!

Have the bath taps replaced with a new shower-tap combo, and add a new mount on the wall and get a shower screen (if you are nervous novices, have this bit done for you, it's worth doing well). You can get really good ones on ebay, great for discontinued styles and overstock.

You can also get (including from IKEA) slide-under storage for under pedestal sinks, so no need to rip the sink out, and you can tuck away some of the excess bottles when not in use.

You could do all this (minus getting a workman in) for about £150, maybe quite a bit less with a bit of online research and canny use of secondhand.

Good luck, and post some after pictures!
  • Jo DP
    8 years ago
    Put the loo roll on the holder for starters!
  • Trisha Goodwin
    8 years ago
    As someone who recently had to update a bathroom on a tiny budget, I would say add rather than subtract things. If the tiles are in good condition, leave them, they are a bit bland but not awful with images on them or anything. One of the quckest ways I found to update, was surprisingly, to take down mirrors and hang some contemporary glossy white cupboards instead, including one with a mirrored front, otherwise a lit modern mirror, in just glass or glass and gloss finish white. Add some really zingy contemporary accessories, not tacky but really classy in black, white and some strong colours - pink or purple or lime or chartreuse all good, thick towels in these colours or a combination - its amazing how they can turn a bathroom around. Put out some classy looking toiletries, again they dont have to be expensive, just expensive looking, add a white or purple orchid for a nice touch, they really love bathroom conditions (leave out the tacky houseplant that will take it down a step or two). When I sold house last year, buyers said they loved the bathroom, which only had these things added to a very unpromising looking small one, so it can be done on a very small budget, its just develeping that eye for what I call, things that LIFT the spirits and appear to add a touch of luxury - good luck!
  • ladyfreespirit
    8 years ago
    Hi, the cheapest solution is to paint the the whole room White, including a fresh coat for the ceiling. Add a large mirror and sparkling clean lines with Silver coloured hardware. Voila, a fresh Modern bathroom.
  • Kittihawke
    8 years ago
    I would also say to paint the walls grey (possibly pale grey) to pick up the marbling in the tiles. The tiles are not all that dated, I quite like them. And replace the bath panel with a tongue and groove wooden one in white to go with bath. The radiator is really extremely prominent in the room, could you have it moved in behind the door? That is if funds don't allow you to replace entirely with a heated towel rail: the plumber just sets it up as a replacement radiator: not much to it. A snow white shower curtain is classic, easier to maintain and less expensive than a screen. We use little clips stuck to the tiles top and bottom to ensure no water leakage as bathroom is upstairs. Just unclip and spread out on rail to dry when done: no squeegee needed!!
  • bagpuss2
    8 years ago
    I remodelled a bathroom recently and know how the cost can add up.

Replace the tap and mixer on the bath and the taps on the sink with the best you can afford- it will instantly uplift the room. Add a basic shower screen from Argos or Homebase- cost won't be sky high, or a really nice shower curtain. Paint the walls white, and steam clean everything.
  • bagpuss2
    8 years ago
    And when you are ready to replace the sink and loo, go for a vanity unit that covers up the piping.
  • crowningfashion
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago
    Personally I would leave it. Touch ups more often than not look like touch ups. As suggested I think painting the walls and re-grounting the floors tiles (or colouring them) would lift it a bit. Shutters and new taps would make the bathroom look modern. The wall tiles are actually ok and lend themselves to a trad looking bathroom. Painting them and putting in a modern bathroom suite would be a jarring combination.
    It's ok to tile one layer of tiles on another (but no more - my last kitchen had been tiled tile over tile 4 times before I bought the house!!) Cheap modern tiles and a cheap new suite would not be that much more than what you already have planned.
  • milfordmaid
    8 years ago
    White + black + pink. Or white, deep red + pink.

Leave pink wall tiles + bath panel - they okay. Extend (best match pink) tiling to left hand wall - floor to existing height as far out as toilet seat extends. Makes cleaning easier .... Whiten all grout.
    Paint all walls white.
    Replace all taps and shower fittings to as good quality as budget allows. Design will be personal choice.
    Ditto with shower screen. Ditto with towel roll holder (maybe in black or red)
    Frame windows with black or deep red fabric (maybe with light design) or blind.
    Use area around toilet + underneath sink as storage for every day items, again using black or deep red storage containers, boxes, buckets, bins so items can't be seen. Window - store tooth brushes + razor items in similar black or red containers.
    If you can afford - change the existing radiator to shoulder high towel rail. Or else paint white.
    Run one long mirror fronted shallow storage cabinet above towel rail down to new tiled area - for medicines, creams, powders, personal hygiene products etc.
    There is no storage for towels ....Maybe store outside of bathroom in hot- press, with several towel rails, to back of door. Small shallow open shelving area behind door, over end of bath, above decorated tile level. Paint black or red. Roll up your white, black or red flannels, hand towels + medium towels to fit same. Add few mtching baskets with bathroom items.
    A shallow shelf made of waterproof material can be run on inside bath-wall at decorated tile level. Again waterproof colour containers for shampoo etc. This will mask the decorated tiling which might be considered dated.
    Finally clean and regrout floor tile. Buy several suitable black or red washable bath rugs. Rotate + wash regularly.
    Does have to be lol done at 1 sitting.
    Radiator changes to be done first, with tap,shower attachments + shower screen next. Tiling, grout + painting next . Then work away at rest as budget allows.
  • milfordmaid
    8 years ago
    Doesn't have to be done in 1 go - I meant ....
  • PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago
    The tiles and wall colour date this room the most so I would do something about those first. If you stick to white tiles (assuming you will re-do the whole thing at some stage) then it's even worth doing them yourself ... or using tile paint, but not sure, haven't used it myself.

A stronger bathroom colour in turquoise or a blue/grey would make it look richer than a pale colour, as someone above also suggested. And yes, changing the fittings. I don't think you need to change the sink or toilet right now, best to wait till you re-do the whole thing. Agree with just a shower curtain fr now, the stronger plastic ones are fun and don't stick/create the clingy octopus effect.
  • Catherine Hounslow
    8 years ago

Dove grey and white paint work will freshen it up and you won't have to re-tile it . Nice blind and a large plant .You can replace toilet seats cheaply . Maybe replace taps for more modern ones . A plain shower curtain or a glass screen . A large mirror to give impression of space.

• Matthew Decorator
    8 years ago
    You can paint the tile grout with a grout pen. It's literally a pen that fits in between the tiles. If you want a big change, paint the walls neutral and consider painting the tiles. If you have more of a budget knock the tiles off and put several bigger ones around the bath and one around the sink.

B&q sell suits for a couple of hundred depending on your
    Budget.
  • firegard
    8 years ago

Your bathroom looks rather small so I advise you paint the walls in a colour as close to the tiling as possible, it looks as if a soft dove grey might work. In a small bathroom one colour on the walls and floor gives the impression of more space. You could add a pop of colour with a really sumptuous bath mat.

I would then invest in a very large mirror, ideally covering the whole of the wall, from windowsill height upwards, where the framed mirror currently is. If you keep to the same height as the window sill you will emphasise the horizontal which again gives the impression of greater space. Mirror is a great trick to give the illusion of space.

I think you could save money by just replacing the taps on your basin and bath and investing in some modern accessories such as chrome towel rail or rings.

• PRO
    Akiva Projects Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello,

First of all you could start maybe with the walls and paint them in white. To enhance your space, you could also pick a wall and cover it with a nice wallpaper and of the same shade you could get the soap dish, toilet paper holder, etc.

Add a lovely mirror on the wall and remember you could always mix and match styles you like.

Good luck with your Project!

• Dawn Rimmer
    8 years ago

I would paint the walls a dark colour, have a massive mirror above the radiator. You need bathroom storage. We got a carpenter to build a run of small wall cupboards above our bathroom door the whole width of the room. They do not seem to take up any 'space' but the hold toiletries, toilet rolls, spare towels and cleaning products. If money allows I would have a built in vanity unit and toilet cistern also to give a stream-lined look. I agree with the white wooden Venetian blind suggestion too. A new toilet roll holder and towel rail are needed too. A snazzy light to compliment the style of the mirror or just a statement in itself eg a chandelier would look impressive.

• Pauline cotton
    8 years ago
    With your bathroom being quite small, I would paint it bright white (make sure you use paint specifically for bathrooms) and then put a large mirror on the wall opposite the bath - this will give the effect of bouncing light around the room with the mirror making it appear larger. This will cost very little but will lift the room. Also I would have a cabinet made for around the sink to give you storage.
  • PRO
    Sara Levy Designs
    8 years ago

I believe that most of the expense in refurbishing a bathroom is in the labour. You can buy a very cheap toilet and sink, but it will cost you a lot to fit it in. To spend as little as possible, I would suggest painting the room a darker colour and see what you think. This will make a big difference. Perhaps a darker grey in the same tone as one of the colours in the tiles. The best thing about paint is that it is easy to change if you don't like it. You can replace the sink taps cheaply and if you can find a towel radiator that fits in the same plumbing spot that will save you plastering. You can replace the shower hose with a shiny new one and get a new clip to hold a new shower head on the wall. You can put a long, silver towel rail on the wall above the radiator and hang a nice, fluffy towel there! If you get a bigger, more modern (plain) mirror on the wall and move all of your personal items out of there the room will look less cluttered. Give it a mega good scrubbing as well and you will enjoy using your new room. Let me know when you want to refurbish the whole thing but for now that will make a low cost alternative. Please show me a photo when you're done.

www.saralevydesigns.com

• PRO
    Stone & Marble Diretto Ltd.
    8 years ago

try just changing the sink and bath taps.... see how it looks, and if you need to change more than.......

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.