kerryowang

Gambion

kerryowang
8 years ago
Hi, can you tell me if the gambions are a retaining wall or just a decorative feature? If they are retaining how deep have they been buried, or are they sufficient in weight alone? Thanks.
Magnolia Residence · More Info

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Banyon Tree Design Studio
    8 years ago

Hello--thanks for your question, but that is difficult to answer. This is a custom designed and engineered wall, based on the specifics of the site. Any wall that you may wish to install would need thorough design and investigation before installation. Generally any retaining wall over 4' in ht. requires structural engineering and may require geotechnical engineering as well, depending on the site. Gabions can be either engineered or aesthetic. The size, depth and fill all come into play with the design. I would encourage you to contact a professional in your area for review of your specific site conditions. Good luck!

• kerryowang
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for answering. I wasn't planing to build it myself...I wish lol! I am currently redesigning the garden as part of a house refurb...the technical side will be dealt with by the builders, I was just figuring out if there was scope for gabbions as a retainer that needs to go in, or if they are best used decoratively in a domestic setting, or if they are much more hassle than a block/render retainer.
  • PRO
    Banyon Tree Design Studio
    8 years ago

In the case above the wall is used to retain some soil behind the wall, but the soil gently slopes up because we have a deck directly behind the wall, so the retaining part is not as tall as the wall. In this case, I guess it is both: decorative and structural!

kerryowang thanked Banyon Tree Design Studio
  • kerryowang
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    wow...thinking cap is on now...thank you both for replying! Am I right in thinking that you can fill them with perhaps hardcore from the build and 'face' them with great looking stones? I guess tis would depend on their intended purpose/structural integrity...might save a skip or two of waste though as my walls are not going to be very high....
  • PRO
    JML Garden Rooms
    8 years ago
    Hi Kerryowang, If they are to be used for a retaining wall and have been engineered, there is normally a certain standard for the stone. The ones which are shown in the pics above, have been filled with local stone from a local quarry, so that they are in keeping with the building and will fit in with the look of the traditional period home forever. I have seen them filled with all sorts of other things over the years, but if they are not filled correctly, they would lose their integrity. If you fill them with the incorrect stone, the stone may break down over time and fall out the bottom and sides, leaving you with a mess in the garden and a retaining wall, that no longer retains. If you have someone else install a wall for you, you should always ask about BBA certificates and if they offer a guarantee of any description. Here are some pics of stunning decorative walls that I have been collecting over the years. They seem to be getting more and more popular these days...
    kerryowang thanked JML Garden Rooms
  • kerryowang
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    They do look great, much food for thought here thank you so much.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.