peter_abatan

Neighbour to contest our proposed extension under the "Right to Light"

Peter Abatan
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago
We have submitted planning permission to have an extension to the rear of our home, while doing that we thought is courteous to inform our neighbour. While the extension is larger than the average extension on our street by about 1m to 1.5m due to the canopy to protect the bi-fold doors. When we spoke to our neighbour and she said it was too high at 3.675m and too long at 6.737m. Our home is a semi detached, and the reason for the height is because there is a 0.375m drop into the existing dated conservatory, but we need to level that off by raising the rear of the extension by that much because the drop is not practical for us having the open plan area on 2 levels.

Our neighbour has said that she will contest under the "Right to light" act because she has lived there for 29 years, and that the sun will be obstructed by our extension but the entire rear of the building is east facing, so I am not sure how she came to that conclusion. What can I do? Any help and advice is appreciated.

Comments (16)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.