pannacotta

Please help with rug and furniture decisions....

pannacotta
last modified: 4 years ago

I really need to finish off my sitting room as it has been a work in progress for too long. The furniture if a bit of a hotch-potch following a divorce and some pieces going to my ex. What I am struggling with is whether to keep the small red sofa which doesn't go with the other two and what colour rug to choose. The two large sofas are hard colours to describe, one is linen/silk mix in pale gold gree, the other is old gold. The walls are mid olive green. I don't have a big budget and need a rug of at least 2x3m so at least one sofa can sit on it, partly to stop both sofas sliding around... I have two kids so do need practical choices. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks

• pannacotta

Thanks for the photo btw. Not too keen on that style, I prefer a less formal feel with a mix of colour and furniture so a room feels personal, but I don't like anything too chaotic either.
    Seems to be quite a hard look to pull together....

• minnie101

i do agree it is better to see before you buy. I found the problem was the size, they're either way too small or too big and I'm not sure where you are but we only have auctions about once a quarter so I could have been waiting years! I will ask my brother where he got his whilst I remember as it's fantastic. I do remember us speaking before (Pannacotta is my favourite dessert and I often roll it out for dinner parties as it's so quick to make!), I just couldn't remember on what topic! My blue sofa which does not match the bedroom is still there too! Recovering can be dear, there are a number of places that do reasonably priced but good quality ( and classic design) sofas so it maybe worth getting quotes in to weight it up. It is difficult making decisions when you're spending money, nothing worse than making a wrong one! I have a chaise longue that's been in 3 rooms in the house and I still don't like it! ( I took note of the hall measurements for where it was intended but not the chaise which is rather wide as a modern version...we live and learn!)

pannacotta thanked minnie101

Decisions decisions - go dark or not?

It looks like a fairly large, light space so I would definitely go for the darker, bolder choice. I also agree with the majority that keeping the arch, but enlarging and squaring it off, might be better and leave you with more flexible spaces (it will also save you money!) If you get rid of the fireplace (which is pretty unispiring) I would make sure you still have some kind of feature there to add impact - console tables with mirrors over them work quite well. The beauty of the darker grey is that you can accessorise with pretty much any colour and it will look cool.

Furniture layout advice, please help!

Assuming the door opens fully, I'd be tempted to have it always open and tucked behind the sofa (pull it forward slightly). Or if you need it closed in the winter, just keep it always closed. Then you could stick basically with your layout, with the chairs pulled in and centred more on a large rug

New Living Room Furniture Layout Help Please :)

This is the best layout i could come up with given the off centre fireplace

Rugs size. Please help

I must admit I‘m not keen on rugs right against fireplaces or tv units either! can the sofa in the foreground go opposite the one under the art as just wondering if it would look better? Might be good to see more angles of the room. I only ask to work out the size but I suspect a standard size won’t work. There are a few irregular ones around though or you can layer them or (strike me down) anchor a table with a break the “rule” rug! lovely room 😊
  • pannacotta

Please do ask your brother as it is great to get recommendations.
    I have looked on ebay and the local auction room catalogue and there is nothing I can see which is right size and colour wise.
    It might be easier to buy new, just anxious about not seeing first as most online places charge for return carriage costs.
    Will also get recovering priced up. May be easier to use some nice throws for now.
    Has the blue sofa been ok since you painted it? I thought that was quite brave...!

• minnie101

Amazingly he's responded already. He thinks it was Atlantic rugs. I think it took me some weeks of looking on ebay to be honest. One of mine must be about the same size as yours and the other a bit bigger. If you were still wanting persian/oriental they do ones in that polyprothelene (if that's what it's called!) and I don't think some of them are too bad. We were left one from the previous owner and tbh it doesn't really look any different once on the floor. Or go back to your original idea for the rug and add a little pattern/Colour in the cushions. We don't actually use the sofa so it's fine! It was an ebay purchase and I hated the pattern so it was recover or try paint so nothing lost! Definitely got quotes for recovering. If you choose new do look at places like sofa.com or couch

pannacotta thanked minnie101
  • vicky lee
    The eBay rug said no returns. If you bought it and didn't like it you couldn't send it back. This one also doesn't have the faded look you liked in all the other rugs. I don't think you are indecisive. I think you know what you like and they are not easy to find. The more you define what you really want the easier it will be to recognise when you see it. It may be you need something bigger that both sofas sit on. It's out there hiding waiting for you to find it.
    pannacotta thanked vicky lee
  • pannacotta

Thanks to you both. I will look up that rug seller minnie and perhaps I am not indecisive vicky lee just a bit scared of getting things wrong!
    I do think I need a bit rug so both sofas can sit on it but they do seem to be quite pricey, even if preloved...

• pannacotta

My favourite rug so far was definitely the patterned one you posted in your first reply vicky, shame it was out of my reach price wise.

• minnie101

It looks a good rug. Looks like silk in the pic? I would ask them what it's made of, age etc. Also ask them as its cash on collection that you will be under no obligation to buy if you're not happy with the quality. To be honest even if you do Commit to buy via PayPal I don't think you are really under obligation to buy no matter what their t&c say. Someone bought a dining table we had listed recently and then pulled out. We paid commission on the supposed sale and then got it refunded in the next invoice period. I'm not an ebay expert though! I've just bought a few bits (those already mentioned!) and sold a couple of pieces of furniture

pannacotta thanked minnie101
  • vicky lee
    Are you looking on freecycle, gumtree and preloved

This one might suit it's got a subtle pattern.

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/112992674/100-wool-danish-rug.html

It doesn't say where they are though.
    pannacotta thanked vicky lee
  • pannacotta

Thanks, that one is nice but too far away but yes I am looking at gumtree. I cant face Freecycle but will check out preloved.

• ejs25

Wow, this has created quite an abundance of support for you. I'm just thinking in different way....I saw, but can't recall where, 2 matching rugs side by side to fill a larger space. This might give you more scope re size / cost? Also wondered whether a v large plain, inexpensive rug might fill the space and give your sofas stability. Then pop a smaller patterned rug in the centre, beneath the coffee table, with some fabulous design that really appeals to you and which you are confident links your colours for the room. It might even be circular? ...Just an idea. Good luck.

pannacotta thanked ejs25
  • pannacotta

I would quite like a large inexpensive rug which I didn't have to worry about,, with two young kids, but have yet to find anything! Nothing much available locally and it feels wrong to buy a rug without seeing it in the flesh.

Will keep checking ebay and Gumtree but large rugs seem quite rate....

Atlantis rugs

Visit our website. We have the cheapest prices for handmade Persian rugs.

www.a2zrug.co.uk

• pannacotta

Just to update, I have finally bought a rug, here

http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-multi-stripe-rugs-catkin/p1925060?colour=Catkin

It does look good but is quite muted, so the small red sofa looks odd now.

While I don't want it to be too 'matchy', I need to find a snuggler/large armchair which will work with the sofas and new rug and am not sure what to go for.

Any ideas or links would be great, the budget is tight so am looking on ebay etc.

Thanks

• minnie101

Well done! It looks great. Are you looking to pick up one of the rug colours? I would probably go for the cream With the walls

pannacotta thanked minnie101
  • pannacotta

Thanks minnie, am glad to have finally made a choice!
    I agree cream would look good but I have two young boys (do wonder if the rug is also impractical but we are a shoes off home) so think it needs to be a bit more of a mid tone colour.

Happy for it not to match too well (have discovered Emily Henderson whose style I love) but don't want anything jarring if that makes sense?

Unsure where to start really, have looked on ebay but too much choice and not much locally. Nothing much on local Gumtree either...

How is your garden going?

• mrsmcee74
    There's a nice corduroy love seat in a mushroom colour on made.com, not sure if it's within your budget or not? http://www.made.com/chairs/love-seats/wolseley-loveseat-mushroom-brown-corduroy
    pannacotta thanked mrsmcee74
  • pannacotta

Thanks mrsmcee, that is very nice and a good colour but yes over budget.
    I could look for similar on ebay.

• minnie101

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westwood-Occasional-Chair-Love-Seat-in-Mauve-Soft-Chenille-with-Castor-Legs-/201362215720?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ee21f9328 How about this? It's difficult to tell on screen but purples normally work with green. It may be a bit formal though but could be a good thing as the boys may not want to sit on it!! It also comes in beige but looks more cream to me and is a "make best offer". Cream isn't good with boys no..I'd never heard of Emily but just had a quick look, she looks good! Not my "normal" style but I love so many styles! No, garden will be late this year or maybe even next as we won't have funds until autumn so may be best to wait, not sure yet. Need to get quotes anyway!

pannacotta thanked minnie101
  • pannacotta

Thanks I do find that a bit formal and the colour is quite specific, I think I need something fairly muted. I like seating which is inviting, nothing too hard or neat (we are not a tidy household!!) .

I did see this which is local-ish to me but I wonder if it would be too much with the damask fabric on the main sofa

http://www.gumtree.com/p/chairs-and-stools/marks-and-spencers-love-chair/1118059049

Any thoughts?

Keep us posted on your garden thread and good idea to get quotes, a good time to get landscaping done is over the winter and good people are often booked up far in advance....

• mrsmcee74
    How about IKEA Ektorp - bit of a classic really. They're comfy, have machine washable loose covers, come in loads of colours, less than £300 for a 2 seat sofa.
    pannacotta thanked mrsmcee74
  • minnie101

I'd looked at the ikea one, my only worry is that it's 6ft so perhaps too big? If not though that would be a great idea, it is a very classic style. I like the m&s one but does the actual seat look grey? I think you could balance the patterns though. Have you tried just having the sofas opposite each other or will the rug not be big enough? Good point re garden, there are very few round here anyway. My husband is toying with removing the patio under the kitchen window so we then have a sunken courtyard from the basement. That however would cost a fortune!

pannacotta thanked minnie101
  • pannacotta

Thanks to you both.

Just got in and looked at the rug and thought arghhhh, not sure it goes. It looks too modern for the space I think.

Will post a pic soon and ask your opinions.

Can use it in another room if needs be.

• pannacotta

Here are some pics

• pannacotta

And here

• pannacotta

I cant put the sofas facing each other as not enough room, the door way is to the left of the red sofa, the arm is just visible on the last photo. m thinking I may send the rug bag if not too £££.

The layout is tricky which makes choosing a rug quite hard.

• minnie101

I think I quite like it. I'm not convinced it's what I thought your style was but the colours go! Is it big enough to put the feet of sofas on and take another pic? Just thinking, do you need another sofa? Could you put a chair in a corner somewhere?

pannacotta thanked minnie101
  • pannacotta

Thanks minnie I like it too but agree it isn't quite what I was aiming for.

I tried to get the feet on but it didn't work, will do it and post another pic.

I could replace the red sofa with a big armchair.

Am wondering if this would be better after all

http://www.therugseller.co.uk/grosvenor-rugs-in-taupe/p-30-827-4241-1

But still too small to get sofa legs on...

Btw, a sunken garden will be shady so not sure I would recommend that esp if its going to cost a lot.....

• pannacotta

Here are pics with feet on the rug, as you can see it looks wrong, as the main sofa is as wide as the rug and overlaps with the other sofa when the feet are placed on the rug.

• pannacotta

whoops meant to post this pic instead

• minnie101

I know it's a bit far out but how do you feel about cowhides? Advantage is you don't need to have a certain size or put under sofas or anything but obviously not that comfortable for the boys and not washable. This was the rug you first posted wasn't it? I do like it but wonder if you need some pattern. I must admit I keep going back to the faded persian ones. There are some on ebay and I think wayfair, it's just knowing what the minimum size needs to be. Garden, it would literally just be the bit under that part of the patio so maybe 15x10 and more of a seating area rather than planting area, rest of garden would remain the same, We do however have an outside loo down there where we had to put the new boiler when we moved in so could be problematic!

pannacotta thanked minnie101
  • minnie101

You're right it doesn't look right like that

• pannacotta

Not too keen on cowhides, am a bit of an animal lover so would feel a bit wrong but I agree they are easier in terms of placing.

I agree that an old rug would work best but I gave up looking as unsure of size or pattern and am not so good at ebnay trawling, find it daunting. I liked the website you told me about but its hard to know when you cant view a rug.

You could always get your garden seating idea priced up, it might be lovely but it will be pricey, moving soil is always a costly choice. Perhaps start a discussion and see if you get any suggestions from the landscaper pros?

If you see any rugs you think would work do shout. I think I would need 3x4m really.

• pannacotta

Btw the rug is 2x3m.

Send back or use in my bedroom part under my bed?

No idea how much a courier would cost for return carriage....

• minnie101

i understand, i know a lot of people feel like that. I must admit I have been looking for rugs whenever I'm "shopping" the last couple of weeks and it's a struggle! Random but I do have a pretty large Persian style rug in black, cream and maybe taupe you can have if you want that the previous owners left ! I'm just not sure if it's"real". We used it for a few months though and doesn't look any different! Garden, I think could be a lot, my brother had his garden levelled a couple of years ago by his best mate and that was 25k and dozens of lorries! Much bigger than ours but I would still guess a few k and then I worry it may actually be holding the house up!

pannacotta thanked minnie101
  • minnie101

I would send back unless of course it matches as it's not cheap. Is there a JL by you? ?If not, do they do a return from a collection point? I know you can collect from various places as i did that recently so they may do a return service?

pannacotta thanked minnie101
  • pannacotta

Thanks minnie that is a very kind offer. Is there a way to private message you? Would be

great to see a photo. NO idea why it is so hard to find decent rugs, although its easier for smaller sizes.

I bought the rug from ebay (JL return) so need to courier it back. Damn....

You might be best to ask some good local landscapers round to give you some ideas on yoru garden and rough prices.

Happy to have another look, perhaps you could email me pics/rough plan with aspect shown etc?

• minnie101

Yes there is but I can't do it! I am now following you anyway!! You click in someone's profile and then can send a message. Karen (one plan) advised how to do it before so I just need to find the thread again. You may need to give me a while to see if I can find the post! Oh that's annoying. Did it show the weight to check postage? There is actually a pro in Sudbury on houzz so not too far from me so may try him. There are just so few around here for some reason. Thankyou that's kind, I still need to draw up a proper plan but would probably help if I took pics from upstairs as gives a better idea of scale

• pannacotta

Have messaged you.

I know, v annoying re courier, should have bought it from JL....

Yes do take some pics from all angles if you wanted an opinion....

Thanks

• minnie101

I've just emailed you so hopefully you get it! Well hopefully it wont be too much. Yes, I should have done that in the first place but don't like heights so didn't fancy hanging out of the window with the iPad!!

• kmullin85
    If you are still looking for a faded ethnic style rug quite cheaply it could be worth checking out Etsy. I have never been dissappointed by anything I've bought on there. I have just ordered a large rug for 85 from the unique rug seller on there...fingers crossed its nice, but well worth checking out.
    pannacotta thanked kmullin85
  • pannacotta

Thanks kmullin, do you have a link to your seller?

• minnie101

Hi Pannacotta, I think the etsy one may be unique rug store, they overdye vintage rugs. I really like the rug from westelm, will it be too modern though if you didn't like the JL striped one? What do you think of their Cadiz one? I can't decide if I like it! Try both of these links from ebay, you may like a couple, they're over budget if you go for the new size but under if you go for 2x3 http://stores.ebay.co.uk/rugmartoutlet/_i.html?_nkw=Faded+vintage+retro&rt=nc&_pgn=1&_ipg=48 http://stores.ebay.co.uk/rugmartoutlet/Modern-Patchwork-Rugs-/_i.html?_fsub=7903057012

pannacotta thanked minnie101
  • minnie101

http://www.irugs.co.uk/10x13-rugs Some great ones on here on budget. I will ignore any further rug related emails that land in my inbox before I inundate you!

• pannacotta

Thanks v much minnie will have a good look later. Off out now.

• Catherine Hounslow

An ethnic type rug of warm coloured stripes (rust creams light browns or pinks ). Cushions that tie in all the colours in the room .

Atlantis rugs

We have wide rang of vintage made rugs on our website that can go create with your sofa. Also the price range is much lower than JL. We also have ebay store that we auction our vintaged handmade rugs as well as buy it nows.

website: ww.a2zrug.co.uk

ebay store: a2zrug