johnleh

Can a clueless amateur demolish the modern without harming the old?

johnleh
8 years ago

Hi all

I’m renovating of my bijou London garden and, with time on my hands, am demolishing what I can initially.

I’m probably adding modern slatted trellis atop the old London brick wall at the back. It will complement the planned modern planting and hide the ugly modern wall rising behind it.

However my elderly neighbour, who owns the garden behind, doesn’t mind if I partly or completely demolish the modern wall. She’s not well, so I wouldn’t expect her to arrange this.

My question is: can a willing amateur knock the modern wall down to the height of the old wall without the prospect of damaging the lovely old wall in front, and if so what should I use? Simple hammer and chisel?

There is a small gap between the two walls, and if the modern wall is knocked back into the neighbour’s garden, there is nothing for the pieces to damage as they fall. Would it be necessary to have a professional lay a damp proof course atop the remnant of the modern wall at the end of this?

More ambitiously, could an amateur knock the modern wall to the ground, as shown in the second pic, perhaps by working across carefully? The concrete section top right I’ll have removed professionally.

Thanks - any hints much appreciated.

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.