lisamarie1000

New floorplan/layout advice and help please

lisamarie1000
8 years ago

We are buying (already exchanged and soon to complete) on a new house and I want to change the layout to make the kitchen bigger, add a utility room and a family room. How it stands at the moment is the back reception room and kitchen have a single story flat roof extension at the back - the first half of the wall between these has a fireplace in it and a main structural pier/pillar (highlighted in red) so it can not be removed but the continuation of this wall/new wall added on left of kitchen could be removed. Also the big room on the right is a garage we would like to keep the front part of this as a small garage/storage area but we are happy to convert the back.

Naturally you would think extend the kitchen across the back of the garage but the wall between the two has the boiler and electrics etc all on (highlighted in red) and the drains outside the downstairs toilet (previously converted coal shed) would make this a very costly job ... We could potentially open up the

wall to a double door width at maximum (where the existing door is into the garage) also the garage lower ground floor could not be lifted as there is a room above it at a lower ceiling height.

Also ideally the hall is the one room which has new flooring and decorated so I ideally did not want to break through any walls in here into the garage.

We want to end up with a lounge,kitchen and Family room (3 reception rooms), utility and downstairs toilet ...

I had a layout in my head but now I have gone off it and my husband thinks long term I will wish I hadn't done it) I wanted some advice and help please as this obviously needs to be decided before we do anything!!!!!! (and time is running out!) Oh finally we also need to include an internal alleyway/corridor down the far right side of garage to the garden as the oil tank is in the garden - so basically a bit off the width of the garage will need to be hived off...

Any help and ideas would be much appreciated...

Comments (14)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.