lenak1

Challenging garden: small and on the slope

Lena
8 years ago
We bought a 60s semi a year ago and almost finished renovating it.

With internal design being interesting and relatively easy to cope with, garden is more challenging for a beginner.

On a positive side - it has a big patio which is great for entertainment.
However, with two young kids around it is not easy to make the garden a safe and exciting space all at once.

I kept buying plants in haste, which only resulted in more pots with stray trees. The cohesive look is not that easy to achieve in the small garden situated on the hill.

Would be really grateful for the practical suggestion on how to improve the layout and sort hedges and trees planted on the sides.

The best idea I came out so far is to make the lawn into a circle and plant acers etc around it (I e on the edges of the lawn).

Thank you in advance.

Comments (41)

• Sarah McNally
    8 years ago
    It's a nice little garden. You could reduce the lawn and make a circle.

You could also tier the wall / sloped bit and create steps, a slope or tiered flowerbeds which softens it a bit.
  • Lena
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you. I think about introducing steps, but probably not within the next couple of years.

Now I would have liked to sort out the border(s) by planting something pretty (unlike thorny bushes on the left). Also I keep wondering about ways of softening the general feel of a brown box.
    Any suggestions?
  • Related Discussions

what I can do with this very small sloping garden area please ?

Q

Comments (4)
    I thought en masses planting of just two or three grass types like Acorus, Japanese Forest grass and Red Baron (not exact names but you’ll find then by googling)
    ...See More

Small sloping front garden

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi, I’m looking for ideas on what to do with this very small front garden area that slopes down to the footpath. It’s north facing and the property is rented out so we’re looking for very low maintenance but we want it to have kerb appeal. All the windows and doors have just been replaced and we changed the top bedroom window to French doors with a balcony. Thanks!
    ...See More

What can I do with my sloped garden?

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi there, Ideally, to make it more useable, you would want to either increase your patio area or to level your lawn area, but Im affraid both these options will be costly since it will involve shifting soil. To make it more pleasing to the eyes, there are certainly some superficial things that you could do such as using clicking decking tiles to update your concrete slabs patio, some well thought painting colours on the fence and on the garage, and obviously a well selected planting scheme to give you plant colour year around would also help. I also think that you could change the shape of your lawn ( by changing the shape of your planting borders)This planting needs to be specific to slopping areas since your borders are not leveled. I could do a simple consultancy for you as an online service which would be a cheap way of getting professipnal ideas to cheer this space up on a budget. Please have a look at my website and get in touch if you would be interested in this.  www.therootedconceptgardendesign.co.uk  Many thanks Deborah deborahbiasoli@gmail.com  07548105456
    ...See More

Garden help! Any ideas for sloped concrete and public sewer access?

Q

Comments (10)
    Decking is one of the cheapest options, but it doesn’t last long. Mine started to rot around the edges after 8 years, but it may do the job for a while until budget allows. Another thought is gravel contained within wooden edging. It may be a bit difficult to walk though, but again pretty cheap. With the drain cover you could cover with the gravel and then sweep it aside when access to drain is needed. With decking we actually built a hinged door over the drain within the deck. Now we have laid porcelain tiles and we had a drain cover that incorporates the tiles so it is “sort of invisible” and it can be lifted to gain access (see below). I think you idea of plant pots is a great way to tart up a concrete patio, add an outdoor rug (they are weather proof) and some garden furniture.
    ...See More
  • Sarah McNally
    8 years ago
    Id suggest adding more colour. Put box planters or sleepers along the edges and add flowers with colour.

You could also paint the shed and add bunting or coloured Pom poms. My friends done this and looks fab - see pics!
  • Sarah McNally
    8 years ago
    Or paint the fencing or the picnic table - would look fab with a colour then add little tea lights or Moroccan style lanterns to add more interest
  • Lena
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks, it's a fabulous idea to paint the table! I bought some "wild thyme" paint in order to paint the tall fence next to the picnic table, but I'd rather paint the latter instead.
  • Sarah McNally
    8 years ago
    Good luck send some 'after pictures'. Painting the table and popping a little plant in coloured pot with lantern would look ace
  • larysaz
    8 years ago

I think several planters with herbs/flowers will "soften" the wall. Box is in the wrong place- it will grow and cut off the view to the garden completely. Flower bed with LOW growing plants instead will look better. You can put some creeping plants there- they will grow down to the wall and make it green. Shape the loan- round or hexagonal.

• pannacotta
    8 years ago

I agree re the Box, I would move this and add trailing, flowering plants to cascade over the wall, Campanula, Iberis, Osteospermum for summer colour, Geranium Rozanne etc.

• Sandra Walsh
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I’m not an expert but I've been taking a landscaping course and I hope I can help you with this garden space. Really what I think is important is the look and feel you want to achieve, your budget, and the personal time you have to put in. If you’re like me, poor with very little income, then doing it all almost all yourself is the best way. This means using the cheapest materials and repurposing everything you can get your hands on. Even your own family is a resource! Only use money on back breaking work that requires muscle such as hauling, removal and lifting. When spending money on a professional or helper, it is very important to have everything planned and designed on paper ahead of time.

I have a few general ideas for your garden but it is really difficult to give advice when you haven’t indicated what kind of look/feel you are going for. Could you tell me more about that. Also, what country and climate zone do you live in?

General ideas: Modern and old fashioned alike, you should use herbs, berries, fruits and vegetables whenever you can as part of your landscaping. It’s also safer for kids and pets. I agree that the fence should be painted or stained. What you choose depends greatly on the effect you’re trying to achieve - modern, contemporary, country etc. and yes, I agree with a kidney shape within in the square fenced border. I would use large roundish stones to delineate the circle and I would paint them to add that splash of colour. I recommend Cypress trees to be used against the fence(they grow fast), but have them alternating with the climbers (you already have) and vertical garden squares. This would be practical and add interest to the view. In the foreground within the circle border, I would have a

couple of dwarf trees and bushy types of edible perennials such as rosemary, berries, and lavender, surrounding them. To choose the kind of plants, consider the seasonal changes and how the rest of the garden would look during these changes. On the circle border closest to the lawn, it is best to place smaller plants & ground coverings there. BUT, keep a few spots in the foreground that are easily accessible - These spots are good for planting annuals or veggies :) I also have a solution/idea for the play area, but I would need to know more about the feel and look you are trying to achieve. I hope this helps.

Lena thanked Sandra Walsh
  • Sandra Walsh
    8 years ago

I wrote my piece before I saw minnie101. We have basically the same idea. Small trees are definitely needed for height and to break up the visual monotony. Bringing the trees a little forward into the foreground will give an illusion of depth, thus more lush garden. The idea I had for the play area isn't conventional. I would reclaim that cemented/brick space for lawn area and build small tiered grass retaining walls that double as a stairs (you wouldn't see the structure. just the grass is visible making the garden and play area one piece) The grass stairs lead to the upper part where the garden is. This way it can still remain as a play area for the kids but it's nicer to look at and is definitely safer. This of course needs a professional or someone with experience to do the grass retaining walls.

Lena thanked Sandra Walsh
  • Lena
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Larysaz, pannacotta, I have planted the box as in our case safety comes first. There was a choice between a sturdy low fence or low hedges because it used to be very dangerous for children. If mine were used to living with a steep garden, their little friends jumped on top of the narrow wall the second they would step into the garden!
  • Lena
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Minnie101, love the idea of a kidney-shaped lawn.
    I keep thinking about painting the fence grey, but do not know where to start as there are prickly hedges next to the fence on the left.
  • Lena
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    And where would you recommend to place a potted olive tree? I have one in the front garden.
    I really appreciate your comments.
  • Lena
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Sandra Walsh, thank you, you gave me lots of ideas. I love the idea of using fruit trees, veg and herbs around the garden.
  • Lena
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I live not far from London.
    The idea is to have a midcentury garden, or probably a contemporary one. The problem is that my son is allergic to pollen so Mediterranean garden is probably out of question.
  • pannacotta
    8 years ago

But those tiny Box plants wont provide a barrier for many years! If you need a safety barrier then larger plants would do a better job. Or you could add a low physical barrier such as hurdles etc.

• Lena
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    It works for us. There are box plants and lanterns, which effectively stopped kids claiming over there.
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

I think you can pretty much plonk a potted olive anywhere and they'll look good. Personally I'd try somewhere in your line of vision from the lounge or wherever you look out from but not so it blocks the rest of the garden. If the area by the table is sunny and sheltered I'd put it around there to try and create a little room effect. Re fences, hopefully you should be able to reach with an extendable roller? You need a strong arm though as painting fences is hard work!

Lena thanked minnie101
  • pannacotta
    8 years ago

Ok so the Box is needed, then I think it would look much softer if you moved the table closer to the house and added planters alongside the wall and fence and put in tall planting, an olive tree as minnie suggested but also some scented, flowering climbers and wall shrubs.
    Will see if I can find a pic or two.

Start jasmine is lovely - evergreen and flowers all summer and they smell wonderful.

• PRO
    Studio Chenko
    8 years ago

Hi lenak1,
    I'd recommend a frameless glass or acrilyc fence along the hedge. It will act as an invisible barrier and it won't restrict the view to the green lawn. I'd also recommend renewing the brick work. You can also add more solar lights and lanterns for a better night time look. I'm not a gardener so I can't advise you on types of plants but I'd go for white or pink flowers.

• Cati
    8 years ago

I'd suggest wall planters for that wall behind the table, I think larysaz might have said something like that. The internet is full of such planters examples, here are a few that might work for you:

http://www.shanty-2-chic.com/2013/06/wood-planter-for-the-wall.html

http://www.sunset.com/garden/5-inspiring-garden-ideas/dress-fence

http://www.cape27blog.com/2012/09/diy-vertical-wall-planter/

I also agree with minnie101's kidney shape idea, it looks fab and exactly what you need for the actual garden.

Lena thanked Cati
  • Lena
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Cati62, those wall planters are lovely. Thank you for the fabulous idea. I will try to find them in shops and will revert to DIY if there are none readily available.

• Cati
    8 years ago

Really glad you liked them ! you're very welcome :-)

• Lena
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Just wanted to report on the progress. The olive tree, as suggested, stands next to the table now, which gives the area more cohesive look.
    I keep thinking about painting the table in "wild thyme" colour, but my other half strongly objects.
  • Lena
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    A fern found its place in the opposite corner of the patio.
    Will need to accommodate strength and paint the fence grey. I'm the only person with time and willingness in our family to spruce the garden, so no easy ways for me.
    However, I will hire someone to update brickworks and make the kidney-shaped lawn. Probably next year, so plants are planted in the spring and will have enough time to establish
  • Lena
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The "fern" corner
  • winterfloods
    8 years ago
    Hi, hope you don't mind me commenting but this is very similar to a garden I had some years ago.

First thing, don't do anything without a lot of thought or in a rush. If you do things too quickly you might find you have to undo all your hard work. Take a year to get to know where your favourite spots are for the washing line, a seating area, to pick a couple of examples. Plus there may be hidden treasures of plants yet to be revealed.

In the meantime, buy yourself/borrow books on small garden design. Get hold of gardening magazines, look online for ideas, even join the RHS. Start to get ideas of a look that you like and read about suitable plants for a small area. Talk to your neighbours about the types of plants that grow well in your neighbourhood - or that grow too well and will cause a problem e.g. trees and hedging that are really not suitable for small areas. We have lots of "open gardens" events in the towns and villages around here (www.opengardens.org.uk ) where ordinary householders open their gardens to raise money for good causes. You can pick up heaps of ideas. Gardening is a seriously fun hobby.

I like the idea of a clear screen. How about adding a living wall in front of the brickwork for now? Images on houzz of some very swanky systems but oh so easy to knock up a DIY version.

Hope this helps.
  • Cati
    8 years ago

Lena, I hope you don't mind, but I came today over this site - it's not in English but it doesn't matter, the photos matter and even many ideas are for fences, many of them would suit a brick wall too, though I see you also have a fence on the left-hand side. Just adding to ideas you could consider :-)
    http://ideipentrucasa.ro/idei-deosebite-de-design-pentru-gardul-curtii-tale/

• Lena
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Lovely, there are many unorthodox ideas which could be used in a challenging garden.
    Thank you, Cati
  • PRO
    Primrose
    8 years ago

For plants - you could have some beautiful Japanese Maples, Herbs and Vegetables,Exotic Palms, some complimentary Hedging, Fruit Trees, Exotic Bamboo, Roses,Ornamental Trees or even Bay Trees!

Or possibly awnings, garden furniture, water features and heaters for some quality outdoor living :)

• itakr
    8 years ago
    move the box hedging in 2 or 3 foot in a semi circle.(could continue around to make circle lawn) plant between hedge and wall so plants seen from seat with some trailing over edge.aubrieta. campanula. libertiaor ground cover carpet roses? paint all external fence grey/blue fades away but freshen it all up. paint table and furniture a bright colour u like. i would remove two evergreen at back very heavy for small space if planting trees get them on one stem you have room to plant underneath.
  • Lena
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Dear Primrose,

Thank you for your suggestions, the majority items either were on my buying list, or I added them after thoroughly looking through your post.
  • Lena
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Dear Itakr,

Thanks a lot! I have been thinking about moving box hedge to make room for some ground covering flowers, so your suggestion confirmed it. I really appreciate the list of suitable flowers - I never knew what they were called, but admired them in gardens.
  • Lena
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Meanwhile, I am painting the fence in grey stone and the table - fresh "wild thyme" colours.

Removing one of big trees at the end as it seems to be a way to incorporate another one (the tree on the left is going) into the final design.

Itakr, I really appreciated your suggestions!
  • pannacotta
    8 years ago

Great idea to move the Box edging in and add trailing plants. Some of the smaller Ivies are good for this and for providing evergreen cover, also look at Erigeron, Helianthemum and Lobelia. Some annual daisies are good too for draping over the edges of raised beds

• PRO
    Lavin Landscape & Ground Maintenance
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago
    • I begun to write this suggestion out when I released i had a drawing for a similar garden. So tweak it to suit

• Hide new steps behind new raised bed of rose carpet (or lavender) which are very easy to maintain which can also be used as seating
      • Water feature with the spout can be hidden in the hedge, Use a galvanised mesh (heavy) an inch or so below water, you don't want children falling in.
      • Skim walls to match in with new beds, the brick is a bit dull.
      • Second level plant hydrangea
      • From top of steps enter landing area to raised lawn, use angle iron for perfect straight lines.
      • Low hedges: Use Rosemary rather than Buxus as it can have an unpleasant odour if planted on mass especially near patio areas.
      • I would replace the fence with something sturdier and would allow for trellis which will give privacy but not annoy the neighbors by blocking too much light
      • You could also use the trellis at low hedging to stop children falling off or use http://www.tecni-cable.co.uk/ systems for a safe but see through fence, it wont stop the determined child to climb over but will definitely prevent accidents
      • Rather than having a 'veg patch' you could make sure that everything has to earn its keep. So plant fruit trees, berry bushes, vegetables, herbs and so on.
      • If you need any help contact me.
      • Regards Cian
    Lena thanked Lavin Landscape & Ground Maintenance
  • Lena
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Dear Cian,

Thank you for the exciting drawings.I love the idea about using a carpet of roses to disguise the steps and the shed on the left is inspired!

I am glad that the color scheme you suggested (grey walls, auburn colored trees and some blue flowers) generally in keep with what I have in mind.

A lot has been done on my garden throughout the summer; I will post a couple of pics later on.

Thanks again.

You made my day!

• Lena
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    It's still a work in progress. I'm planting a dwarf sour cherry tree on the right and probably a couple of hydrangeas in the spring.
    The compost bin goes further to the left, giving space for a fig tree. I'm still torn between the thought of planting it where the black bin is now, or training against a wall.
    I will post more pictures when the cherry tree is planted.
    Thanks again for all your suggestions!
  • PRO
    Lavin Landscape & Ground Maintenance
    8 years ago

I am using olive trees for screen planting in my own garden, they would work well with colour of your fencing. Fill the contact form on www.lavin.ie and I can do up a drawing for you. Will need measurements of garden, height differences and so on.

• Lena
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I'm glad I dug out my old post at last. Thanks again for all helpful suggestions! I think my garden looks different after a few years passed.
    We will have to consider revamping it completely at some point in time. But even now it's a more enjoyable and usable space.
    Thank you!
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.